What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Dude. I’m just throwing out a number. It could be more, could be less. Also, you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think it’s already invite only. Who do you think the networks want to put on their channels?
You're talking about something entirely different than what the NCAA is proposing and what this conversation is based on.

CFB future will be what ESPN and Fox say it will be. I have a gut feeling CU will not be invited to that party. I'm still going to watch this team each Saturday. Though, I do hope we get no more repeats of 2022. That year almost broke me as a fan.

The west just isn't into CFB like the south and rustbelt.

You're talking about something entirely different than what the NCAA is proposing and what this conversation is based on.
Fair.
Here’s a question. Would you want CU to do what Nicole is proposing? We can’t keep up with the top tier programs as currently constructed. We simply are not a major player in CFB.

I don't really understand how you figured that... Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Oregon, UCLA, Washington, FSU, Florida, Clemson, North Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, aTm are 17 public schools off the top that would opt in for that.
you're probably right

where my head was going was that this new proposal would cost those schools additional money, and even though it would likely lead to higher revenue downstream, the political process of funding universities would drive many schools to whatever the next level down will be.

and I can private schools like SMU, Duke and Johns Hopkins thinking "we can buy our way into this!"

it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Fair.
Here’s a question. Would you want CU to do what Nicole is proposing? We can’t keep up with the top tier programs as currently constructed. We simply are not a major player in CFB.
No, just focus on Basketball or add Hockey
If you are not going to be a National Top Player in Football, it is not worth having a team anymore in the long run
Step up or Step out

Fair.
CU as an institution definitely has the money to field a nationally competitive football program, if the University is allowed to fund it and decides it wants to. It's the athletic donor base that pales in comparison. So if that was the decision by the University, yes, I'd love for them to do it.

CU as an institution definitely has the money to field a nationally competitive football program, if the University is allowed to fund it and decides it wants to. It's the athletic donor base that pales in comparison. So if that was the decision by the University, yes, I'd love for them to do it.
The bolded is pretty important. So I don’t think CU can ever be on the same level as the top 10-15 programs.

manhattan, I love that statement cause it is a boss comment about a great league.

However, let me change my terminology to American College Football League and not Super League. I am only saying that the 64-68 current Division 1, formerly known as Power 5 teams be placed in a single cohesive League, essentially a March Madness Football system that creates a level playing field.

What is happening right now is a scummy filthy uneven system that just recently fukked over the players, enriched the Coaches, enriched the Media Companies, and is out of control, and is trying to throw entire programs to the curb. I get it benefits the hyper-aggressive fat cats in the SEC and B1G, but it is disgusting.
The networks, B1G, and $EC will not cede any power. We will get a Super League. It just won’t be this utopian vision you’ve imagined.

The bolded is pretty important. So I don’t think CU can ever be on the same level as the top 10-15 programs.
It depends on how everything is set up. At that point, I'd just like to see a salary cap of whatever, $10-$12m/year, that can be spent any way a team wants that's backed by the school and NIL collectives outlawed. Players hire agents who find legitimate NIL deals for extra comp. One governing body, one set of rules, equal scheduling model, etc. It's all moving to an NFL system and the top 8-10 programs are going to have to come to grips with the fact that they need more competitive balance if they want to actually make it work like this.

If that's the system, hell yes I want CU in it. If it's something different where there's still no rules, comp limits, etc. then yeah I probably agree with you, that CU would be better off just being part of the second tier league that is like the current G5 landscape.

It depends on how everything is set up. At that point, I'd just like to see a salary cap of whatever, $10-$12m/year, that can be spent any way a team wants that's backed by the school and NIL collectives outlawed. Players hire agents who find legitimate NIL deals for extra comp. One governing body, one set of rules, equal scheduling model, etc. It's all moving to an NFL system and the top 8-10 programs are going to have to come to grips with the fact that they need more competitive balance if they want to actually make it work like this.

If that's the system, hell yes I want CU in it. If it's something different where there's still no rules, comp limits, etc. then yeah I probably agree with you, that CU would be better off just being part of the second tier league that is like the current G5 landscape.
I agree with all of this.

I don’t think paragraph one will happen because the NCAA is more of a disaster than the last 20 years of CU football.

What is to stop the under-the-table payments from coming back into play once something like that is instituted?

don't worry, the chances of Alabama, Georgia or Ohio State agreeing to a salary cap are close to 0
When does Congress or the Courts get involved?
This is COLLEGE athletics turned into the Wild West Russian Sports Federation
Working together would make for a way better product, but the Bullies are just unchecked at this point and frothing at the mouth
Freaking so sad

When does Congress or the Courts get involved?
This is COLLEGE athletics turned into the Wild West Russian Sports Federation
Working together would make for a way better product, but the Bullies are just unchecked at this point and frothing at the mouth
Freaking so sad
well, the courts got involved and gave us unregulated NIL...

I expect we'll see more and more politicians get involved in the short term -- it's an easy way to grab headlines -- but I wouldn't count on it getting better as a result

Oh duh lol. I was thinking of the spineless NCAA being the governing body and doing nothing to stop it.
Neither the NCAA or the P2 Conferences can run this thing
I hate the NFL, but they actually understand that they need to run a fair and equitable league and it has benefitted them greatly

Oh duh lol. I was thinking of the spineless NCAA being the governing body and doing nothing to stop it.
I don't know. At this point, I feel like the scenarios being discussed are a hodgepodge of what the NCAA is presenting and the common thought about teams breaking away from NCAA entirely and forming their own league, so who knows how it would shake out.

All I know is there is so much more money to be had in an NFL style league, but it would require more competitive balance while involving more than just 24-30 programs.

I don't know. At this point, I feel like the scenarios being discussed are a hodgepodge of what the NCAA is presenting and the common thought about teams breaking away from NCAA entirely and forming their own league, so who knows how it would shake out.

All I know is there is so much more money to be had in an NFL style league, but it would require more competitive balance while involving more than just 24-30 programs.
Someone like Yormack hopefully can make that clear to everyone, because if Alabama was playing everyone else that is good in any one given year, they might have 4-5 losses instead of having a balanced schedule with enough probably wins to be the goliath they want to be.

The SEC teams and teams like Nebraska can look back at their 50-year winning percentages and thank the likes of all those body bag games for that success

Here is where I think this is all going:

There are about 24-30 schools that think they can or want to win a national championship. These are the schools that will break off and form their own football division and will be the ones that pay the $30K/year trust. They will compete for the upper tier national championship.

The rest of the FBS (Appx 100 schools) will realign conferences to make more geographical sense. ACC, Big 12, Pac 12, etc. These schools will compete for their own national championship and follow the more traditional college football model. This is where I feel CU will fall which is fine with me.

The sooner this gets done the better. CU will never again compete for a national championship in the current model. I’d be fine trying to compete for one at a level below the elite.

I could see it ending up as:

Tier 1: teams that can pay whatever the hell they want (Bama, Texas, OSU, etc. - maybe the 24 schools or so)

Tier 2: Opt-in to the 30k or somesuch division (CU ends up here, along with much of the current P5 and some G5)

Tier 3: No pay. Many G5 schools, maybe some upper FCS move up.

Here is where I think this is all going:

There are about 24-30 schools that think they can or want to win a national championship. These are the schools that will break off and form their own football division and will be the ones that pay the $30K/year trust. They will compete for the upper tier national championship.

The rest of the FBS (Appx 100 schools) will realign conferences to make more geographical sense. ACC, Big 12, Pac 12, etc. These schools will compete for their own national championship and follow the more traditional college football model. This is where I feel CU will fall which is fine with me.

The sooner this gets done the better. CU will never again compete for a national championship in the current model. I’d be fine trying to compete for one at a level below the elite.

Has to be more than 24-30 schools. Otherwise you get NFL style parity and schools like Alabama and Texas aren’t interested in parity. Double your figure and then you are on to something.

Has to be more than 24-30 schools. Otherwise you get NFL style parity and schools like Alabama and Texas aren’t interested in parity. Double your figure and then you are on to something.
I don't think that's quite right. If two alternate scenarios are
1) a 24 team league made up of schools who can pretty much pay in the same ballpark as each other, meaning Bama/ Texas have a 1/24 chance of winning the title...

-OR-

2) a 48 team league where the same 24 can still pay as much as each other, so Bama/ Texas still have a 1/24 chance, but they also play against teams they feel are "tagalongs" who are riding on their coattails and who will occasionally win a game that keeps them from a title....

Then Bama and Texas take option 1 all day every day.

The schools are not in charge. ESPN and Fox are.
They all have to work together. ESPN and FOX can put up the money, but the programs and conferences themselves have to agree. There will be give and take, which is why I believe there will be concessions on both sides. FOX and ESPN (and CBS, and NBC) will put up significantly more money for an NFL style product, but that will require some competitive balance concessions, IMO

48 is probably a good number, if it includes some subtraction of current B1G/SEC members which don't fit this without their lottery winnings from happening to be in a particular conference for 100 years. If they all are included, we might need to go to 60.

64 is the right number. 12 groups of five teams, geographically disbursed over the country. 14-game season. 4 in-group games, 8 inter regional games, one “rival” game and one game against a lower group team. 16-team playoff. Winners of each group plus four at large teams. Everybody else plays in traditional bowl games. No conferences. One management/oversight entity to govern and negotiate television contracts. Everybody gets the same media payout but keeps whatever game day revenues, merchandising, donations, etc they can manage.

Back