What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

It's just time to separate football from the rest of the sports. Football would be more like the NFL while the rest of the sports would be placed in more regional conferences that make geographical sense.

The best FCS conference (MVFC) is a football only conference. The 12 members of that conference come from at least three different conferences. The UAC is a combination of the WAC and Atlantic Sun. The Big South and OVC has a football alliance. The Pioneer Football League is a collection of non-scholarship FCS schools where the schools come from different athletic conferences.

The UAC is just new and had a good season where Austin Peay went 6-0 followed by four teams that went 4-2 in the conference (Eastern Kentucky, Southern Utah, Central Arkansas, and Tarlenton State). UT Rio Grande Valley is starting a new team that will debut in 2025 and West Georgia, a D2 playoff participant, will be joining next year.

Given how well some football only conferences are doing in FCS, it's about time that those football only conferences appeared in FBS.

I think Bloom is going to end up being pretty accurate in his prediction on the form things will ultimately take. I'll be shocked if it happens anywhere near as fast as he thinks, though.
I was just driving back to Lakewood from Boulder on this beautiful day and had a thought about the Nike Equipment Contract at CU and how that should be the very first thing that the Players Union takes away from the school. The athletes wear 95% of the Gear at the games and on TV. They are the MODELS for the equipment, so 95% of it should be paid to the players in all sports in some formula for exposure and value.

Just something that jumped out at me

Yeah, but those schools aren’t actually in the B10 yet. There’s just enough ambiguity that I’m wondering what the plan is. I agree that it would be odd, but in the event they can create this super conference and have the same kind of payouts that the B10 and SEC are getting, it might be enough to entice those four back. Or, more accurately, convince them to not actually leave.
Theyre not? Is the contract OU UW USC UCLA signed printed on toilet paper?

By the way….

this guy has some cred on ACC boards, but take with a grain of salt

key takeaways:
  • doesn't think a merger of XII and ACC happens
  • he thinks FSU is all but gone to the B1G. thinks FSU has some legal protection against the ACC GoR
  • thinks GT goes with FSU
  • thinks UNC is the most coveted ACC school but political "in state" issues cause problems
  • speculates that after FSU and GT bolt
    • UNC, NCSU, VT, UVA go SEC with reduced compensation ("SEC gets four for the price of two")
    • Clemson, Louisvill, Pitt and someone else go XII
  • ACC may make a last ditch effort to grab the Pac-2, but he's dubious

Lots of CFB writers on top of this FSU story. I think Ross Delenger at yahoo might be the guy who broke things about a Friday meeting & presentation to the ACC. Reportedly won't be formal notice of leaving, but more of an attack on the GoR with plans to be in a different conference for 2025. Could include pushing for a vote to change ACC GoR and open the floodgates.

This post from him is buhshyt.
The only possible loophole I could see is making the argument for some sort of sovereign immunity play as a State entity, meaning if they break the deal they can't be sued for it. That approach doesn't strike me as incentivizing anyone to give you a new tv contract after you publicly demonstrate you won't be held to it if you think you can get a better deal down the road. If they go this route they better be very, very sure there is someone willing to actually give them more tv money. I can't imagine the Mouse is going to be very endeared to them imploding a deal that is very favorable to ESPN relative to the market, unless they are looking to blow the ACC up and jettison like half the league to G5 status.

The headline does not do a good job substantiating the story. TLDR: it has stood uo because nobody has gone to court about it.
I think the details an out it being built around Federal copyright law and incorporated in Delaware were pretty good. No one has a shot of taking it to a favorable State court where the judge might be an alum of school’s law school.

The headline does not do a good job substantiating the story. TLDR: it has stood uo because nobody has gone to court about it.
Didn’t all of the same stories come out a few months ago when Florida State had their previous hissy fit? The media market only worsens by the day, which is why it’s unlikely ESPN or FOX is going to pony up $100+ million increases to their contracts for each “coveted” ACC schools. And also the GOR, it’s the same it has been, nobody has challenged it because it’s very well written and there is not a magic loophole.

I’d guess there is 1 more final and huge round of realignment coming, but it’s 3-5 years away and there are lots of things to work out before then.

I think when the President of the ACC, who was the head of the Playoff Selection Committee, ****ed it's own member FSU from getting into the 4-team playoff the writing was on the wall.
That's what I'm thinking. That FSU probably only needed another certain number of votes to have enough support to amend the by-laws... and the Commish & Committee pissed off & scared enough members for FSU to get it done.

Edit: And I think the Friday presentation by FSU is directed to garnering support for how it wants to amend the GoR provision. Since it's not a formal declaration that they're leaving, it's got to be stating a case to rally support.

I think when the President of the ACC, who was the head of the Playoff Selection Committee, ****ed it's own member FSU from getting into the 4-team playoff the writing was on the wall.
Sure. It feels like another situation where some of those folks are overvaluing their hands.

Would love to see FSU in the Big 12.
That would work for both the TV entities. FOX gets a piece of them while ESPN keeps them on their air. I have no doubt he's going to make it clear the Big 12 is interested in both them and Clemson. ****......those two by themselves probably add another $10m per school. for the XII. This take might seem like common sense but I'll throw it out there regardless. I think Brett Yormark believes the XII keeps a seat at the table by becoming the basketball behemoth they already are. I mean Kansas (national champion 2022), Arizona (elite 8 2022), Houston (Final Four 2021), Baylor (2021 national champion), Kansas State (elite 8 2023), and programs who are pretty good in CU, Iowa State (Otzelberger has that thing trending the right way), and others who will get their pound of flesh off the teams I highlighted. Duke to the Big 12 when this is over makes so much sense from a hoops perspective its not even funny. The academics might not like it, but that basketball fanbase (which is huge) would salivate at the thought of Arizona, Baylor, KSU, and KU making regular visits to Cameron Indoor. They're going to wind up in the XII when this is over.

As far as the FSU thing.......the Big 12 makes sense for them from one perspective. There are TV deals with both FOX and ESPN in place with the Big 12. The idea that the TV networks decide to split FSU/Clemson at $20-25M per Big 12 school a year might make the most sense. If ESPN thought their rights were worth SEC type money, they'd already be there. Very easy for them and FOX to tell Yormark we'll split your rights at a total of $40M-50M per school (for the sake of a number) if you take Florida State and Clemson.

"hundreds of millions of dollars coming into the conference in future years"

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Back