What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

But what the penalty is for ND if they join another conference isn't entirely clear other than the cost of their ACC TV revenue thru 2036. But ND doesn't share their NBC deal with the ACC and they don't get ACC TV money for football so their cost of getting out of the ACC contract shouldn't be that big of a deal especially when they'd be looking at $100 million+ in another conference.
There are 4 ACC teams on ND's 2022 schedule. Two home games benefiting NBC, Clemson and BC. And two away games benefiting Disney, NC and Syracuse. That's *some* content for the conference in terms of quality. The pattern increases to 5 ACC teams on future schedules and continues past the 2025 end of the NBC ND deal.

He could very easily say something generic along the lines of conference realignment being bad for college football and leave it at that. He's entitled to his opinion and it's possible that he does believe adding powerhouse programs to better conferences is better for CFB as a whole.

Selfishly I wish UCLA and USC would've stayed in the PAC 12. Selfishly I wish a larger, better conference would invite Colorado. I think we all do. But that isn't reality, and reality is that nobody east of the Colorado border cares to watch any of the PAC12 teams outside of USC and maybe Oregon. USC playing Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. is much more intriguing than watching USC vs. Arizona on PAC12 after dark.
Agree on klatt but disagree on what people care to watch. Plenty of SEC fans will watch the apple cup if the stakes are high. The problem, that hasn't been the case most of the past decade

He could very easily say something generic along the lines of conference realignment being bad for college football and leave it at that. He's entitled to his opinion and it's possible that he does believe adding powerhouse programs to better conferences is better for CFB as a whole.

Selfishly I wish UCLA and USC would've stayed in the PAC 12. Selfishly I wish a larger, better conference would invite Colorado. I think we all do. But that isn't reality, and reality is that nobody east of the Colorado border cares to watch any of the PAC12 teams outside of USC and maybe Oregon. USC playing Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc. is much more intriguing than watching USC vs. Arizona on PAC12 after dark.
Admittedly, I am a fan of Joel. I have a loose personal connection to him, think he's the top color commentator in the sport and one of the most knowledgeable football guys in the media. I've also listened to him on a number of podcasts over the last few months and he has voiced his opinion on a few of them that the sport moving to two mega conferences, which he believe will eventually lead to half the current P5 programs being left behind from major CFB, is ultimately going to be bad for the game and have a lot of unintended consequences that people don't care to talk about right now because the money in the short term is too good for decision makers to care.

However, he did say he thinks when everything shakes out, the postseason will be better than it is today, and since I don't think the post season could be any worse than it is right now (by far the worst postseason in all of sports), I don't think that's a bad take at all.

End of the day, I believe as one of the top 3-4 CFB media personalities, he was going to say something on Twitter, but for anyone who's been paying attention to his opinions over the years, I think he was mostly supporting his employer and toeing the company line.

You said you could make a compelling argument based on those numbers. IMO, you cannot.
They're raw attendance and % increase/% of stadium capacity numbers from 6 years ago, not back in 1990. You don't think fans would show up to Folsom in droves if CU won 10 games and played in the Pac 12 Championship Game in 2022?

I think Notre Dame is playing this wonderfully. Their recent success is not bad but they have been far from dominant. Yet, they are the most coveted team in the nation for these conferences. Just brilliant.
They don't have to do anything till they're damn good and ready.

This would be big.
Have no idea who this guy is. I'm sure it's a nothing burger, however if something like this were to happen
the schidt will hit the fan with the rest of ACC scrambling. CU needs to make they aren't left on an island of misfit MWC toys.

assuming true, which Pac 12 teams would be considering that move? UU, WSU, OSU?

IF he's telling the truth, which I think is 50/50 at best, I think WSU and OSU for sure, and maybe Cal. I have a hard time believing Utah, Colorado, Stanford or the Arizona schools would make that call when there is almost assuredly a Big 12 invite on the table and GK is allegedly "kickin ass" with figuring things out for the Pac 12.

In all likelihood, he's scared that the MWC is going to lose their best brands in Boise, Fresno and SDSU, so he's throwing **** against the wall.

I plead the fif

Plead The Fifth R Kelly GIF

assuming true, which Pac 12 teams would be considering that move? UU, WSU, OSU?

Can we trade them WSU and OSU (bring no incremental value for Pac media) for Boise State & UNLV (which gain us 2 new footprint states/metros)?

Then see if we can grab KU & some Texas properties to get to 14 & match numbers for an ACC scheduling alliance?

If ACC is gutted, then a new conference built from remaining best 6 + best 6 B12 + P12 6 would be a good option IMO.

It would be the 3rd national conference and have games all day. Easy to schedule. Idk how money would work but I bet it would be better than those groups trying to continue their respective leagues on life support individually

You assume there is only one interested party, and you assume ESPN, NBC or CBS is not interested in paying more per school for expanded rights to West coast athletics that they don't currently have. Fox has B1G (including USC and UCLA), and you don't think the other networks would love to counter that with competing programming on the west coast?
Correct. We do not know who is bidding other than *apparently-supposedly-it's been-rumored* that Fox is no longer interested in bidding.

Last week, Big Ten’s negotiating team of commissioner Kevin Warren, senior vice president Kerry Kenny, Fox Sports president Mark Silverman and Fox Sports executive vice president Larry Jones entertained final pitches from media companies ABC/ESPN, CBS and NBC along with Amazon for rights packages. The discussions were first reported by Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand.

While involvement by Silverman and Jones may seem odd, Fox Sports owns 61 percent equity in the Big Ten Network, up from 49 percent at its founding.

According to an industry source with knowledge of the negotiations, a decision and public announcement could happen by mid-July. Fox will extend its top-tier Big Ten package, which includes its highly rated Big Noon Kickoff coupled with a weekly game on FS1. Link

Reading the above I'll guess Fox is in the drivers seat since they are also on the negotiating team. 🤪

So I'd say that if we can sit tight for a couple more weeks some pieces will fall into place. Though I expect those in the know Kliavkoff probably already have a pretty good idea that a deal is done and who won without knowing the details. Possibly split rights could happen again. Does Fox Then jump back into P12 rights bidding if it is split? I think Fox won and the bid is gigantic so they are walking away from P12 so money goes one place.

CBS most likely *has* to bid because they are losing all their SEC content. CBS shared rights with ESPN for awhile and walked away likely because the rights that were offered to be shared with CBS were not worth what they wanted. Just as the B1G ESPN Fox shared rights deal is also ending. Maybe CBS doesnt want to share rights and is looking for an outright win again. CBS may have incentive as it owns stations in the PAC12 market. And there is some crossover with NFL

City of license/MarketStationChannel
TV (DT)
Year of affiliationOwned since
Los AngelesKCBS-TV2 (31)19511951
San Francisco - Oakland - San JoseKPIX[n1 1]5 (29)19481995
Stockton - Sacramento - ModestoKOVR13 (25)19952005
DenverKCNC-TV4 (35)19951995

NBC's ND deal ends in 2025. Maybe NBC wants more content suspecting ND was headed for the ACC? I would think that NBC had the largest bid for the B1G we would have seen ND accept and be folded right in. That didnt happen. NBC may have some incentive as it owns stations in all 3 major California markets.

City of license/MarketStationChannel
TV (RF)
Owned SinceSecondary O&O
networks[63]
Los AngelesKNBC[n1 1]4 (36)1949Cozi, LX
San DiegoKNSD39 (17)1996Cozi, LX
San Jose/San Francisco/OaklandKNTV11 (13)2002Cozi, LX

Amazon scares me but UW is in their back yard and millions of people have Prime.

Last edited:
If ACC is gutted, then a new conference built from remaining best 6 + best 6 B12 + P12 6 would be a good option IMO.

It would be the 3rd national conference and have games all day. Easy to schedule. Idk how money would work but I bet it would be better than those groups trying to continue their respective leagues on life support individually
Honestly wouldn't be a terrible conference with Miami, GT, VT, NC State and Louisville from the ACC. Of course, the SEC adding those programs and going to 20, would almost assuredly prompt the B1G to also grab 4 more from somewhere that would probably include Oregon, Washington, Miami and then it might prompt ND to reluctantly agree to join.

20 and 20 with the biggest brands all being included

CU
Utah
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Baylor
Kansas
TCU
Texas Tech
BYU
Houston
Miami
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Duke
Georgia Tech
NC State

Top 6 of the remaining Pac12, Big12, and ACC to form an 18 team conference? Not bad though spread out all over the place. Would be a killer basketball conference.

CU
Utah
Oregon
Washington
Stanford
Cal
Baylor
Kansas
TCU
Texas Tech
BYU
Houston
Miami
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Duke
Georgia Tech
NC State

Top 6 of the remaining Pac12, Big12, and ACC to form an 18 team conference? Not bad though spread out all over the place. Would be a killer basketball conference.
We should swap-in Boston College for Georgia Tech so we can be the smiley face conference.

Looks like 93% of capacity, though, which I believe was around 30th for P5 programs, and 4th in the Pac 12. The % increase (+18%) in attendance from 2015 was also 2nd in the P5 behind Miami, and top 5 in the country. Granted, most of the top 15-20 P5 programs don’t have much room for increase, but almost every Pac 12 program does and CU was far and away the tops in that category.

2017 saw a bump in attendance and increase to 94% capacity.

End of the day, I think there’s a compelling argument, based on one season of evidence, that the state of Colorado will support a winning college football program at a relatively high level.
Didn't the same thing happen in 2001?

Spit balling here roll with me - The remaining #get****ed schools declare economic warfare on the media corporations. They pool their IT resources together and broadcast the games on free platforms-Twitter, Reddit, their respective university websites, etc. Then, they create a botnet to generate clicks, ad revenue, and an appearance of viewership. FOXSPN, Apple, et al sees viewership. Profit. They can offer the broadcasts on places like Hulu and fubo, but the botnet is the key to the whole operation

This would be big.
Have no idea who this guy is. I'm sure it's a nothing burger, however if something like this were to happen
the schidt will hit the fan with the rest of ACC scrambling. CU needs to make they aren't left on an island of misfit MWC toys.

Branden is a lead news person for SwimSwam, a swimming news service. He’s wired for swimming happenings, deep. Maybe he is hearing this back door through his college swimming and conference contacts.

Back