What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

If the P12 and ACC land the partnership with ESPN, that leaves Fox as the (mostly) solo bidder for the B12. Why would Fox overpay for the B12?

They’d be over a barrel just like the P12 is today with ESPN.
Yeah, I think this could be as much about the ACC/Pac10 reducing the Big 12 to an effective G5 conference and removing those 12 programs from competing for CFP and recruits.
If you were able to merge the Pac and ACC, they'd also be in a position to pick off the better 3 or 4 little 12 schools and reduce the rest to rubble.

I don’t understand how the prevailing thought right now isn’t about building a new conference that combines the best brands and markets from the ACC/Pac10/Big12 that competes on the same level as the other two. There would obviously need to be a third party network involved in order to get the kind of money the other two conferences are getting, but I’m sure Amazon/Apple would be in the mix. Or, if you’re able to offer add ND and allow them to receive a higher share, you could also allow them to keep their NBC package and expand it to all their games instead of just home games.

Create the only true national conference with brands and markets that are on the same level and profit massively.
My guess is the massive financial implications of voiding at least one conference’s GoR.

I don’t understand how the prevailing thought right now isn’t about building a new conference that combines the best brands and markets from the ACC/Pac10/Big12 that competes on the same level as the other two. ...
I believe the current thinking of the ACC is that:
1. there are no members left in the XII or Pac that wouldn't dilute the conference value. i.e. there is no realistic path to a larger conference that can compete with the 2025 and beyond versions of the B1G and SEC
2. there is no need to grow for the sake of growth and no compelling reason for all conferences to be the same size
3. being a conference of 14 schools that #3 in revenue is better than the other options
4. adding teams west of the Mississippi will not add revenue commensurate with the increased costs

I don’t understand how the prevailing thought right now isn’t about building a new conference that combines the best brands and markets from the ACC/Pac10/Big12 that competes on the same level as the other two. There would obviously need to be a third party network involved in order to get the kind of money the other two conferences are getting, but I’m sure Amazon/Apple would be in the mix. Or, if you’re able to offer add ND and allow them to receive a higher share, you could also allow them to keep their NBC package and expand it to all their games instead of just home games.

Create the only true national conference with brands and markets that are on the same level and profit massively.
I think the most viable path bc of the ACC GoR is to combine the best 8 of the P12 and B12 and have that new league form a partnership with the ACC.

It's clearly the best option for the top half to third of the other other 3 P5 leagues, but the networks have done a good job of staggering the deal renewals so leagues rights don't expire at the same time, although that was likely done as a means to prevent conferences from agreeing to pool their rights. Also the only stakeholders running this show is the conference leaders not the Presidents, and the conf leaders have an obligation to act on behalf all of the members, which means they can't propose models that leave members behind.

For the most part if the schools in the P12/ACC/B12 had the type of leadership that had the vision, influence and interest in athletics to pull something like that together they wouldn't be stuck in the left behinds anyway.

My guess is the massive financial implications of voiding at least one conference’s GoR.
I’m thinking more about the scenario where the contract is voided and they are able to get out of the GoR. Why would the top ACC programs bolt for SEC/B1G and become middling programs when they can take a breath and work with top Pac 10 and Big 12 programs to create their own super conference to actually compete

I guess my main concern with that is that you'll only get Clemson and FSU interested if they're making SEC money, and they're only going to get that with uneven revenue sharing. If you take the top 6 of all three conferences, CU is probably is middle of the pack in revenue in an unequal situation, but WAY behind Clemson and Oregon.

I believe the current thinking of the ACC is that:
1. there are no members left in the XII or Pac that wouldn't dilute the conference value. i.e. there is no realistic path to a larger conference that can compete with the 2025 and beyond versions of the B1G and SEC
2. there is no need to grow for the sake of growth and no compelling reason for all conferences to be the same size
3. being a conference of 14 schools that #3 in revenue is better than the other options
4. adding teams west of the Mississippi will not add revenue commensurate with the increased costs
I’m not talking about keeping the current ACC together. Half the schools don’t add any value to any conference. I’m talking about forming a new conference that takes the top 6 from the remaining three conferences.

Oregon, UW, CU, UT, AZ, ASU, Okie St, TCU, KU, Houston, BYU, Cincy, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA and ND

That conference competes with B1G/SEC, especially if ND is in it.

I guess my main concern with that is that you'll only get Clemson and FSU interested if they're making SEC money, and they're only going to get that with uneven revenue sharing. If you take the top 6 of all three conferences, CU is probably is middle of the pack in revenue in an unequal situation, but WAY behind Clemson and Oregon.
Possibly. I think with ND included along w their NBC package, I think that conference could get a media deal that’s roughly on par with the other two. ND is the most valuable program in the country and changes everything w/r/t a conference media contract. There are also networks like CBS, TNT/TBS, and then Amazon and Apple who are trying to get into the CFB market.

I’m also thinking that taking 75% of what Clemson is making would be a financial boon for CU, and if we want to have a seat at the table there are likely concessions needed.

I’m not talking about keeping the current ACC together. Half the schools don’t add any value to any conference. I’m talking about forming a new conference that takes the top 6 from the remaining three conferences.

Oregon, UW, CU, UT, AZ, ASU, Okie St, TCU, KU, Houston, BYU, Cincy, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA and ND

That conference competes with B1G/SEC, especially if ND is in it.

You're right this would be a top-tier conference with a truly national footprint but that's alot of moving parts to pull together. I'd add VT into that mix if ND doesn't join and if ND does join then I'd probably take Cincy out.

The optimism in this thread is adorable.
rick james cocaine GIF

I’m thinking more about the scenario where the contract is voided and they are able to get out of the GoR. Why would the top ACC programs bolt for SEC/B1G and become middling programs when they can take a breath and work with top Pac 10 and Big 12 programs to create their own super conference to actually compete
If an ACC team violates their GoR, that means those departing teams loose all ACC media rights revenue. More importantly, any media rights they get from their new conference go to the ACC.

Clemson goes to SEC in 2025 for 100M per year. That means they owe the ACC 1.1B aggregate for the next 11 years.

how can Clemson survive with no revenues for 11 years?

that’s the way I see it Yak. Maybe I don’t get your scenario.

If an ACC team violates their GoR, that means those departing teams loose all ACC media rights revenue. More importantly, any media rights they get from their new conference go to the ACC.

Clemson goes to SEC in 2025 for 100M per year. That means they owe the ACC 1.1B aggregate for the next 11 years.

I’m n

My scenario is one in which the GoR is voided for some reason and they aren’t on the hook for paying the ACC. Instead of running to the SEC, form a conference that competes with them

I don’t understand circumstances where the entire contract would be voided. ESPN certainly wouldn’t do that. They have ACC rates as a cash cow asset for more than a decade at a bargain price. There is no financial incentive as I see it to void the contract by the ACC. The contract is actually between the schools and ESPN with media rights granted to the conference so I’m not even sure the AcC can void it.

again, this is my understanding. Others should chime in if they see it differently.

My scenario is one in which the GoR is voided for some reason and they aren’t on the hook for paying the ACC. Instead of running to the SEC, form a conference that competes with them
See my response below. I don’t understand circumstances where the parties would want to void this contract.

Does anyone else think Brian is trying to get his foot in the door with the CU AD to take over if/when Woelk retires? There is no other explanation for writing puff pieces about the program all the time.

See my response below. I don’t understand circumstances where the parties would want to void this contract.
It was speculated that one possible out for the ACC teams is if ND joins another conference and materially changes the financial implications of the current ACC deal.

hawg, you keep saying that ACC programs would bolt for SEC if given the opportunity. I am asking why they would do that, IF GIVEN THAT OPPORTUNITY, instead of trying to form a third competing conference.

It was speculated that one possible out for the ACC teams is if ND joins another conference and materially changes the financial implications of the current ACC deal.

hawg, you keep saying that ACC programs would bolt for SEC if given the opportunity. I am asking why they would do that, IF GIVEN THAT OPPORTUNITY, instead of trying to form a third competing conference.
The ND thing could be the trigger. It would be contested legally IMO given peculiarities of ND “membership” in SEC. But I don’t see why ND would do that and give up a decade of revenue (I think they granted rights like all others in ACC).

if the contract dissolves for some reason, why would Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc re-up with another combined conference when they could walk into the SEC or B1G for what would be 100-120M per year depending on when conference dissolves? That’s my thesis. Open to discussion.

This is how the realignment and next decade plays out for CU

This Is Fine GIF by 100% Soft
Unless two things happen, it doesn't really matter what conference we're in.

1-Administration completely commits to winning.
2-We find a way to scrap enough donor cash to compete in the NIL sweepstakes. At least middle of the P5.

Without both of those happened, it just doesn't matter. We're completely irrelevant either way.

The ND thing could be the trigger. It would be contested legally IMO given peculiarities of ND “membership” in SEC. But I don’t see why ND would do that and give up a decade of revenue (I think they granted rights like all others in ACC).

if the contract dissolves for some reason, why would Clemson, FSU, Miami, etc re-up with another combined conference when they could walk into the SEC or B1G for what would be 100-120M per year depending on when conference dissolves? That’s my thesis. Open to discussion.
Because instead of every single one of those programs being middling programs in the SEC, they would likely be the cream in a “coast to coast” conference, while also making comparable money.

Again, this is an assumption that a coast to coast conference that includes ND would also garner around $100m/school, which I think is actually fairly reasonable.

Back