What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Rejoining a Texas and **** state based conference in the Big 12 could actually be good for us.

The student body will undergo a composition change with more kids seeking out Colorado as a destination from their crappy states but bring their love of sports. Filling a student body with California ski bums definitely didn’t help us in that regard.

This could help our lack of rabid fans and organic support issue over time

I would think that a new Stadium project by the Walton-Pender group that includes a So-Fi type of setup with a retractable roof would be very attractive to expanded playoff and big-time home games. CU may not be able to prop up Folsom enough to make it a place that always has big games, despite being the most beautiful place to play.

This is where I am as well. I don’t think I really want that B1G invite, assuming it’s even available.
I hate the cold, would rather play in the South and West. Obviously the values must be there, but the overall benefits of a California, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma area is just more attractive to me

Keeping large markets engaged in college football still matters though. Is the exploding Denver market worth the investment to the Big 10 and SEC? We will see.
Looking at western populations and trends, after CA the only states that really matter are Washington, Arizona and Colorado. Oregon tops the "nice, but not essential" list followed by Utah and Nevada. No one besides CA has enough juice to justify multiple members.

So we've got a pretty good chance if the B1G goes beyond 16.

Rejoining a Texas and **** state based conference in the Big 12 could actually be good for us.

The student body will undergo a composition change with more kids seeking out Colorado as a destination from their crappy states but bring their love of sports. Filling a student body with California ski bums definitely didn’t help us in that regard.

This could help our lack of rabid fans and organic support issue over time
Except there will be no resources.

I'm hearing that CU will become a member of the BIG by the end of the year at the latest. The BIG likes CU's AAU status, location as a bridge to CA, and TV market. In addition, Colorado has a huge concentration of BIG alums already. I've seen the numbers, and Denver has been a destination for between 1% and 5% of each BIG university's alums over the past 10 years or so, except for MD, OSU, PSU, and Rutgers. The Denver area has seen a meaningful influx of every other BIG school over that time period. If you are looking for it, you will see BIG logos everywhere as you go around town.

As a result, if the BIG does take CU, you will see many games where the stands will be filled with opposing team colors, just like occurs when Kansas comes to play CU in basketball, Nebraska comes to play CU in football, or several visiting teams come to town to play the Rockies.

A conference with UW, UO, UA, ASU, BYU, UU, CU, KU, KSU, OSU, Tech and Baylor is a freak of a hoops conference. That alone might be enough to push P12 Net distribution to where it needs to be. It’s not a terrible football conference, but hoops is next level. It really wouldn’t bother me at all to be in that conference.
I think there's a 75% chance Oregon and Washington are gone. Without them things don't look as great.

I'm hearing that CU will become a member of the BIG by the end of the year at the latest. The BIG likes CU's AAU status, location as a bridge to CA, and TV market. In addition, Colorado has a huge concentration of BIG alums already. I've seen the numbers, and Denver has been a destination for between 1% and 5% of each BIG university's alums over the past 10 years or so, except for MD, OSU, PSU, and Rutgers. The Denver area has seen a meaningful influx of every other BIG school over that time period. If you are looking for it, you will see BIG logos everywhere as you go around town.

As a result, if the BIG does take CU, you will see many games where the stands will be filled with opposing team colors, just like occurs when Kansas comes to play CU in basketball, Nebraska comes to play CU in football, or several visiting teams come to town to play the Rockies.
Where are you hearing this ?

There’s going to be a lot of pressure to respond in some way. I hope we are able to keep our wits about us and really figure out the most advantageous position for us to be in, long term. A knee jerk reaction could end up being a very bad move.

Has CU even issued a statement yet? It just occurred to me that I hadn't seen it yet every other Pac12 school pretty much had

Make no doubt about it, TV eyes and dollars are still at the forefront of this movement.

UCLA isn't in the BIG conference if they aren't situated in LA with the largest market in America. That is what FOX wants.

CU has a damn good chance of getting in the BIG. However, I have no faith in the CU leadership being proactive in all of this.

Ultimately, the CU leadership should have seen this coming and should have been banging down the doors at the BIG offices the second UT/OU announced their move. This movement was inevitable and USC has basically been saying this was going to happen the past year.

According to the Minnesota dude who has been spot on for months, Big 10 is waiting on Notre Dame and could have an answer soon.

If Notre Dame joins, expansion is probably pushed to 20 because inventory and cachet pays for it. Could include Oregon, Washington + Stanford/Kansas/Us/the field
So CU and Kansas become the biyotches for everyone else. No thanks. I’d rather move into a new PAC 12 or Big 12 and maybe have a chance.

So CU and Kansas become the biyotches for everyone else. No thanks. I’d rather move into a new PAC 12 or Big 12 and maybe have a chance.
CU AD getting 100 million dollars a year changes everything. That is provided they move on from the Chancellor and AD. The president absolutely has to make a decision that supporting football fully is in the best interest of the School for it to work.

i just realized that after USC/UCLA go to the big 10 the only national title in football in the pac 12 is CU. wow.

Would you rather spend another $100 million or $200 million on Folsom, or become a tenant in a new Broncos Mega Stadium?

I’m calling my shot. We’re left out because of the attitude toward sports at the school and our administration’s ineptitude. We land in the Remnants 10 Conference.

Ten years ago. And as I said above, I think the world has changed since.
Of course there is also a much more current piece of contradictory evidence

UCLA - engaged fan base? really?? USC totally fits your paradigm, but UCLA is, well, odd. It'd be weird that they would make themselves a package deal.

Aside from this fun little repartee with Jens (we don't really disagree that much on the issue) - one thing that just sort of popped into my head on this: the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl committee is full on board with this move otherwise it doesn't happen. I do think we're going to see the B1G pick and choose the best (by their criteria, not anyone else's) of what remains of Pac, completely killing it off in the process. At which point they'll have full control of the Rose Bowl, which gives them another base of power in managing any future football playoff.

We may very well end up with another era of "split" national championships. The B1G's national champion is crowned at the Rose Bowl - which will totally be the legit one if CU is part of that party. If we're not, than both national championships will be bull****.

Back