What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

A few posters have mentioned the possibility of one or more intermountain teams being gobbled up by the B1G to create a bridge between the LA teams and the rest. Is there any chance another power conference goes the empire-building route and establishes a west-coast presence? That puts CU in the position of a Belgium or Poland: Land acquired on the way to somewhere else.

You heard it here first: CU to the SEC.

Of course there is also a much more current piece of contradictory evidence

UCLA - engaged fan base? really?? USC totally fits your paradigm, but UCLA is, well, odd. It'd be weird that they would make themselves a package deal.

Aside from this fun little repartee with Jens (we don't really disagree that much on the issue) - one thing that just sort of popped into my head on this: the Rose Bowl.

The Rose Bowl committee is full on board with this move otherwise it doesn't happen. I do think we're going to see the B1G pick and choose the best (by their criteria, not anyone else's) of what remains of Pac, completely killing it off in the process. At which point they'll have full control of the Rose Bowl, which gives them another base of power in managing any future football playoff.

We may very well end up with another era of "split" national championships. The B1G's national champion is crowned at the Rose Bowl - which will totally be the legit one if CU is part of that party. If we're not, than both national championships will be bull****.
Yeah, UCLA moving to the BIG completely contradicts that assertion. TV eyes and viewership is still the big play here.

A conference with UW, UO, UA, ASU, BYU, UU, CU, KU, KSU, OSU, Tech and Baylor is a freak of a hoops conference. That alone might be enough to push P12 Net distribution to where it needs to be. It’s not a terrible football conference, but hoops is next level. It really wouldn’t bother me at all to be in that conference.
I guess my biggest problem with that is I would rather take the money and get curb stomped in the BIG than be embarrassed by this new Big XII…and get no money.
basically, rather lose to people I’d rather be associated with.

Last edited:
I'm with Jens here. On purely the football front, people from/grads of UNC. UVa, Duke, NCSU could give two sh!ts about their football teams. Hell, IIRC when UNC came to ODU for football last year, I think the stadium had a slight ODU tilt to it.

You want rabid football fans for the screens in Tidewater? It's VTech hands down. All those other fans are concerned with is how far they can stick their pompous ass academic "my sh!t don't stink" noses up in the air so it's higher than the others.

Now, if basketball is a concern, then some discussion can be had there.

Bottom Line - Tidewater (Va. Beach, Norfolk, etc) is Hokieland (w/JMU a close second) and it's not close. That's why it was so fun to see those turkeys lose to ODU in 2019. (Sorry, @hokiehead )
All true. Also, I HATE Tidewater!

Make no doubt about it, TV eyes and dollars are still at the forefront of this movement.

UCLA isn't in the BIG conference if they aren't situated in LA with the largest market in America. That is what FOX wants.

CU has a damn good chance of getting in the BIG. However, I have no faith in the CU leadership being proactive in all of this.

Ultimately, the CU leadership should have seen this coming and should have been banging down the doors at the BIG offices the second UT/OU announced their move. This movement was inevitable and USC has basically been saying this was going to happen the past year.
I see them reenacting the Dumb and Dumber scene about staying where they are and saving all their money for the worm store.

CU AD getting 100 million dollars a year changes everything. That is provided they move on from the Chancellor and AD. The president absolutely has to make a decision that supporting football fully is in the best interest of the School for it to work.
It changes nothing when everybody else is getting the same paychecks.

So CU and Kansas become the biyotches for everyone else. No thanks. I’d rather move into a new PAC 12 or Big 12 and maybe have a chance.
Yeah pretty much. We’ll get curb stomped everywhere we move to, so that’ll be constant.

Only question is who is dumb enough to give us money to kick our a## and how much

I’d say 99% chance we’re in Big 12, but definitely non zero chance we’re in big 10

A few posters have mentioned the possibility of one or more intermountain teams being gobbled up by the B1G to create a bridge between the LA teams and the rest. Is there any chance another power conference goes the empire-building route and establishes a west-coast presence? That puts CU in the position of a Belgium or Poland: Land acquired on the way to somewhere else.

You heard it here first: CU to the SEC.
I'd rather get left out entirely than go to the SEC.

Everyone here seems to be ignoring the elephant in the room. CU has absolutely no desire to be competitive in football. You really think RG is working his ass off to get CU into the Big 10? I'm sure he, CU leadership and the BOR are fine with this move and will be happy to join whatever conference the remains of the Pac 12 and Big 12 end up in. Lots of Buff colored glasses and mental gymnastics being done here to get CU into this new power conference. But CU has no business in it, and they know it.

Has anyone else commented on just how douchey it was for UCLA and USC to announce they are leaving in the last possible hours before there is a financial penalty for leaving the PAC12?

If I have the facts right (who the hell knows anymore), that is just an incredibly mean-spirited thing to do to the other Universities in the conference they were a part of for so long.

I’m sort of heart broken. I always believed that CU could return to National prominence. Now I realize that the gold in CU’s colors is fool’s gold. I’m 68 and am coming to grips with the fact that CU will never again be competitive in football.

But, at the same time, their are much more important things in life.
Agree with some of this. Moses, quit telling people you are 68, though. Don't gotta lie to kick it. :D

Yeah pretty much. We’ll get curb stomped everywhere we move to, so that’ll be constant.

Only question is who is dumb enough to give us money to kick our a## and how much

I’d say 99% chance we’re in Big 12, but definitely non zero chance we’re in big 10
I think its more like an 80% chance we're in the Big 12, and like I said yesterday-its fine by me.

having had a bit more time to process all this, we are probably ****ed, but i think there are 5 scenarios other than total doom and none of them are burned to the ground scenarios that some other pac schools are now facing.

scenario 1: the pac holds together and adds a couple of teams from the g5. this is my least favorite outcome, but it will be regionally popular. this is the best outcome for the likes of wsu and oregon state who are truly in danger of getting totally left out. maybe even cal and stanford are better off with this outcome.

scenario 2: a merger/alliance between the remaining b12 and pac. i don't love this either and there is a ton of hair on it. wvu v. stanford is a hoot on multiple levels for example. plus, the geography of it all sucks, plus all the religious schools in with AAU public research schools is hard to envision. but, this is at least it is all conceivably possible.

scenario 3: the best of the pac and b12 reform as a new conference. this might work and might avoid the sticky issues of scenario 2.but this league would still likely need to expand and add some g5 in order to be tv interesting and relevant.

scenario 4: CU and maybe some other pac schools individually join the b12. we have been in bed with ****ty schools (ksu) and religious schools (baylor) before-- we'd have to choke down the bile and swallow our pride, but it will at least land as in one of the only surviving non-super conferences that has semi-relevance.

scenario 5: we end up in the big. this is the home run and least likely and most preferred outcome. i have already heard some pushback from some influential usc boosters that the travel schedule is set up to **** the la teams right now. there may be momentum for the big to add more western teams to create less travel nightmares and more geographic coherence. the question then is who do they add? reports say that the ucla/usc value add to the big is 100mm. no other pair or even 4 western teams delivers that much. so, it will be reduced payouts incrementally increasing over time for any new adds. i really think our best shot here is if they decide to add 4 rather than 2 otherwise oregon and washington will be the 2 added. if they go with 4, then the last 2 chosen will be between CU, ua, utah, and asu. we have at least a chance to be one of those last 2 of the 4 possible.

mostly, i am still pretty sure we are ****ed. but we aren't as ****ed as a lot of teams. sigh. i hate all this.

Back