What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I can see the ACC forcing Notre Dame to fully join, and adding West Virginia (or Houston). This would put them at 16, and give them a stand alone conference structure which should hold its own. This creates 3 set conferences. I think you have to push to blow up the Big12, and take what you want from it in order to create the 4th conference.

If that happens I think Texas, Oklahoma, UCLA, and USC end up worse off (NTTAWWT)
the ACC doesn't have any leverage to force ND to join.

I don't think ND will ever join the ACC as full member, but the best possibility for it happen is to get Penn State or another blue blood to commit to join the ACC on condition Notre Dame does so.

I think the 16 team conferences, along with the 12 team playoff, may force ND into a conference.

With 2 divisions of 8, each team has 7 games spoken for off the bat. For TV revenue, I could see conferences pushing for 3 games against cross division opponents in order to have rates, and more interactions within the conference. It would be hard to only have 8 conference games, and see one opponent twice every 16 years. Going up to 9 conference games is a little better, but I think 10 will be the magic number. This will leave 2 non-conference games. It will be hard for a team like ND to survive in that environment. Most teams will have at least one lower division game, if not two (SEC).

The 12 team playoff will make it so most likely 2 teams from each conference (assuming 4 majors) get in, and then an argument over the last 4 spots. It will be tough for a 1 loss ND team who only plays 5 or 6 higher conference opponents to get much play, unless they happen to play and beat one of the conference winners that year.

I think the 16 team conferences, along with the 12 team playoff, may force ND into a conference.

With 2 divisions of 8, each team has 7 games spoken for off the bat. For TV revenue, I could see conferences pushing for 3 games against cross division opponents in order to have rates, and more interactions within the conference. It would be hard to only have 8 conference games, and see one opponent twice every 16 years. Going up to 9 conference games is a little better, but I think 10 will be the magic number. This will leave 2 non-conference games. It will be hard for a team like ND to survive in that environment. Most teams will have at least one lower division game, if not two (SEC).

The 12 team playoff will make it so most likely 2 teams from each conference (assuming 4 majors) get in, and then an argument over the last 4 spots. It will be tough for a 1 loss ND team who only plays 5 or 6 higher conference opponents to get much play, unless they happen to play and beat one of the conference winners that year.
Based on an assumption that some new force of influence never seen before will impact college realignment and drive conferences to like cardinality. I just don't see where that is coming from.

Other than that, I think you're making a good point that if conferences get larger and expand to ten conference games/year, it would make scheduling tougher on ND.

If it is going to be 16 team conferences, then the Pac needs to take:

Kansas
Oklahoma St
TCU
Baylor (I know this is un popular, but from a set up to have the best conference it is necessary)

Then you add 2 of the following (in order of what I think would be best):

BYU
San Diego St
Boise ST
Texas Tech
UNLV
Kansas St
Iowa St
Tulane
SMU

With that 16 team conference you can pick up TV markets, improve TV deal, have a slightly better football set up, and a much better basketball league.

Go big or go home

**** Baylor

I can see the ACC forcing Notre Dame to fully join, and adding West Virginia (or Houston).

The ACC does not remotely consider WVU a viable team in their conference. They are not wanted. WVU has tried many many times to get there, and it's not going to happen.

WVU would have a better chance at the SEC than ACC. That chance is at about 5% as it stands.

The ACC does not remotely consider WVU a viable team in their conference. They are not wanted. WVU has tried many many times to get there, and it's not going to happen.
I think this was true 15 years ago ("can you imagine the school that Jefferson founded welcoming the couch burners?!?!?!"), but since we let Louisville in, I see nothing academically or culturally preventing WVU from joining.

Not worth starting a new thread, but curious on everyone’s preference: B1G or SEC for CU?
For me, it may change based on where other schools go. As of now, I'd say university cultural fit plus Nub rivalry and connection with So Cal & Chicagoland boosters wins out over the Big 8/12 connections in the SEC and the better recruiting grounds.

My preference would be B1G. 3 conference teams within driving distance (and one of them literally 15 minutes away) would be nice.*

Also, rivalry with nubs, LA presence for recruiting, and generally easier flights* to away games vs SEC.

*to be clear, these are for me personally.

My preference would be B1G. 3 conference teams within driving distance (and one of them literally 15 minutes away) would be nice.*

Also, rivalry with nubs, LA presence for recruiting, and generally easier flights* to away games vs SEC.

*to be clear, these are for me personally.
Since I live in Ohio, I would prefer B1G as well. Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana and Chicago are all places that are driveable for me.

Back