What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I hate to say it, but I think staying in the PAC for now is the move if we think there’s any real chance of a BIG or SEC move in 4-5 years. Signing up for a 99 year blood oath or whatever they want to call it would eliminate all hope of that, and I have to believe the Big12 would still want CU in 4-5 years if that’s our only option.

I hate to say it, but I think staying in the PAC for now is the move if we think there’s any real chance of a BIG or SEC move in 4-5 years. Signing up for a 99 year blood oath or whatever they want to call it would eliminate all hope of that, and I have to believe the Big12 would still want CU in 4-5 years if that’s our only option.
What if PAC gets 25 per team and is stuck 100% on streaming? What's if it's 22? 21?
SEC isn't calling. BIG10 most likely has CU 8 or 9 down the list if that.

What if PAC gets 25 per team and is stuck 100% on streaming? What's if it's 22? 21?
SEC isn't calling. BIG10 most likely has CU 8 or 9 down the list if that.
Like I said, if there’s any chance of moving to the BIG or SEC in 4-5 years, then a Big12 move now forecloses that entirely. Regardless how you feel about the value of a near term PAC media deal, there is no reason to move to the Big12 now unless you’ve completely given up any hope of a P2 invite in the next round of reshuffling. The Big12 will still want CU and the Denver market in the future.

Correct. This whole thing sucks.
Blame the NCAA for not creating a unified TV deal That rewarded all like the NFL has. Pressure the NCAA to kick the schools in the $EC and B1G schools out. Send a message to Fox and ESPN by canceling your cable/satellite/sling service. Encourage your congressman to hold hearings and consider regulations.

And most importantly blame the TV people.

Blame the NCAA for not creating a unified TV deal That rewarded all like the NFL has. Pressure the NCAA to kick the schools in the $EC and B1G schools out. Send a message to Fox and ESPN by canceling your cable/satellite/sling service. Encourage your congressman to hold hearings and consider regulations.

And Larry Scott.

Never forget to blame Larry Scott.

NCAA use to have that and University of Georgia and University of Oklahoma sued in 1984 - Supreme court ruled the NCAA violated the Sherman Anti-Trust Act because the NCAA television plan restricted supply, raised prices and could not be used to protect live attendance at football games.

NCAA use to have that and University of Georgia and University of Oklahoma sued in 1984 - Supreme court ruled the NCAA violated the Sherman Anti-Trust Act because the NCAA television plan restricted supply, raised prices and could not be used to protect live attendance at football games.
I remember that. Killed the CFA as well.

Congress later helped the NFL by providing an exception for the NFL to the Sherman Antitrust Act.6 This allowed the league to negotiate broadcasting contracts as a whole instead of each team negotiating separately.7 Consequentially, each team was guaranteed a portion of the revenues before a single game was played.8
The Sports Broadcasting Act (SBA) exception to the Sherman Antitrust Act has been subject to litigation as viewing mediums have changed.9 Originally intended for over-the- air antennae television, the SBA does not cover cable and satellite television.

Its too bad the NCAA didnt get such a carve out as the NFL did. Are we better off? Being on the outside as we are suggests not. But free markets will do what they always do.

Last edited:
I remember that. Killed the CFA as well.

Congress later helped the NFL by providing an exception for the NFL to the Sherman Antitrust Act.6 This allowed the league to negotiate broadcasting contracts as a whole instead of each team negotiating separately.7 Consequentially, each team was guaranteed a portion of the revenues before a single game was played.8
The Sports Broadcasting Act (SBA) exception to the Sherman Antitrust Act has been subject to litigation as viewing mediums have changed.9 Originally intended for over-the- air antennae television, the SBA does not cover cable and satellite television.

Its too bad the NCAA didnt get such a carve out as the NFL did. Are we better off? Being on the outside as we are suggests not. But free markets will do what they always do.

I think we were better off after that ruling. There were only the 3 networks and cable did not have much of an impact back then. Coincidentally the Cable Act was passed in 1984 which allowed the cable and satellite industry to boom. In the 60s, 70s and early 80s each network carried one or 2 games per week. It was inevitably Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, Texas, USC, Oklahoma on TV ever week and other teams only got on when they played one of those teams. CU was usually carried by the local stations - I think mostly channel 4. Very little exposure for most teams. There were only 8 national games a week and regional broadcast were only allowed for 5 weeks during the season. The teams that got exposure had better recruiting.

It was a lot better for the college football fan. The PAC12 problem was they got greedy with the PAC 12 Network and dreamed of hundreds of millions of dollars - the problem was it was not fan friendly and cost them in exposure. Which cause loss of brand recognition and gets you where you are now.

Or we could blame Kliavkoff for being just as big a moron as his precedessor if the best he can do is a 100% streaming deal.

Joining this ****ing conference killed CU.

What is wrong with a full package deal that includes selling or trading the PAC12 network to Apple and Scripps/ION, then having our games throughout the day to compete with the other networks, and then working with the ACC for all of the OOC games in order to value up those games through the ACC deal.

If Apple and ION gain traction over 4-5 years, we can escalate or get the big boys back in for bidding, or move to another conference.

Get creative and be a trendsetter

What is wrong with a full package deal that includes selling or trading the PAC12 network to Apple and Scripps/ION, then having our games throughout the day to compete with the other networks, and then working with the ACC for all of the OOC games in order to value up those games through the ACC deal.

If Apple and ION gain traction over 4-5 years, we can escalate or get the big boys back in for bidding, or move to another conference.

Get creative and be a trendsetter
ESPN's not putting anything other than the SEC in their premiere slots.

We need out of this league.

musical theatre broadway GIF by London Theatre Direct
wet with salvation GIF by The Book of Mormon (Musical)
Byu Football Sport GIF by BYU Cougars
Cosmo Go Cougs GIF by BYU Cougars

do a 5 year deal with apple, total rights package. wait for the next big rodeo.

or otherwise we are going to be looking forward to those awesome roadies to college towns that stink of meth, manure, and quiet desperation.
This is the kind of elitism that is leading to the Pac's demise and almost killed CU football.

Or we could blame Kliavkoff for being just as big a moron as his precedessor if the best he can do is a 100% streaming deal.

Joining this ****ing conference killed CU.
You miss the bigger picture. If you cant see the force of money behind all the other moves that created the Super SEC and Super B1G I have a bridge to sell you. Those people are wrecking college football and we cheered it on for awhile. Until it impacted us directly.

Scott made some bad decisions and he got played more then Kilavkoff did (so far). Todays landscape was reshaped while Scott watched helpless to really do anything about it. The compelling matchups were not so compelling. There were no obvious teams to expand with to make the conference compelling. Kilavkoff got left holding a bag that not one wants in that the bids arent coming in and you cant MAKE them come in. Why? Because our ratings over Scott’s tenure as well as our football was not good. Dont think that the empty stadiums we see around the conference arent lost on the Tv execs.

Reality was this: we were in a dying conference that was slowly being murdered by UT. If we stayed we’d be playing USF on ESPN5 while watching UT play LSU on ABC. So we left for the conference where most of our alums live and for the states where most of our out of state students come from. Its was a pretty safe bet. We just got ****ed over (as did A LOT of other schools) by the TV people that had other plans.

/rant

Last edited:
Betsy Hoffman killed CU, then we doubled down with the Hawkins extension. Pac 12 had nothing to do with it.
She was another one that was handed a turd sandwich. The media ran with a pretty explosive looking story as attorneys spoon fed them one line of coke after another. Betsy sure seemed to me to be trying to stick up for Barnett. Who put his foot in his mouth at the wrong time and poured gas on the fire. After Betsy and Tharp were gone we got Hawkins.

The PAC12 with its decade of mediocre football and poor TV ratings had a lot more to do with where we find ourselves then Betsy did.

You miss the bigger picture. If you cant see the force of money behind all the other moves that created the Super SEC and Super B1G I have a bridge to sell you. Those people are wrecking college football and we cheered it on for awhile. Until it impacted us directly.

Scott made some bad decisions and he got played more then Kilavkoff did (so far). Todays landscape was reshaped while Scott watched helpless to really do anything about it. The compelling matchups were not so compelling. There were no obvious teams to expand with to make the conference compelling. Kilavkoff got left holding a bag that not one wants in that the bids arent coming in and you cant MAKE them come in. Why? Because our ratings over Scott’s tenure as well as our football was not good. Dont think that the empty stadiums we see around the conference arent lost on the Tv execs.

Reality was this: we were in a dying conference that was slowly being murdered by UT. If we stayed we’d be playing USF on ESPN5 while watching UT play LSU on ABC. So we left for the conference where most of our alums live and for the states where most of our out of state students come from. Its was a pretty safe bet. We just got ****ed over (as did A LOT of other schools) by the TV people that had other plans.

/rant
And now the odds that we have to join that leftovers league are probably right around 50% 12 years later.

I think CP will make CU a hot property and we'll leave the P12 soon.
CP will, indeed, make CU a hot property. For now. But those conferences know he won’t be here forever. CU has to prove that they can be a hot property for the long haul and I’m not sure how we do that.

She was another one that was handed a turd sandwich. The media ran with a pretty explosive looking story as attorneys spoon fed them one line of coke after another. Betsy sure seemed to me to be trying to stick up for Barnett. Who put his foot in his mouth at the wrong time and poured gas on the fire. After Betsy and Tharp were gone we got Hawkins.

The PAC12 with its decade of mediocre football and poor TV ratings had a lot more to do with where we find ourselves then Betsy did.
I was about to write a long screed about how wrong you are. About how she was the worst possible leader at the worst possible time. About her disastrous press conference where she exhibited the exact opposite of leadership and literally looked like a scared deer caught in a million headlights. About how she grossly overreacted and destroyed CU football for decades. About how she was an academic with no business acumen. But, nah.

Agree to disagree, from Hoffman, Brown, Benson and Kennedy, paired with ineptitude in the AD's office, it wouldn't matter what conference CU was in. Unnecessary recruiting restrictions, inability to admit transfers that are more than qualified, these idiots extended Hakins and Mike Mac, hired Embree, and Dorell, and negotiated the contract for Tucker. The failings of the Pac-12 Network are but a drop in the bucket.

She later said it was Churchill/Owens.

University of New Mexico presidential finalist Elizabeth “Betsy” Hoffman said Friday her 2005 resignation as president of the University of Colorado system was a direct consequence of her refusal to fire a professor, as ordered by then-Gov. Bill Owens.

After the forum, Hoffman said Owens had ordered her in a telephone call to fire University of Colorado professor Ward Churchill, who had drawn intense criticism for likening some Sept. 11 victims to Nazis.

Hoffman said she told Owens she could not fire Churchill, explaining that supporting the principles of free speech sometimes requires defending people with unpopular opinions. Owens replied that he would “put his plan in place,” she said.

Conservative commentator Bill O’Reilly “excoriated” Hoffman nightly on his Fox News Channel program, “and 30 days later, I resigned,” Hoffman said.

https://www.abqjournal.com/74257/unm-presidential-candidate-wont-bend-to-political-wills.html

CP will, indeed, make CU a hot property. For now. But those conferences know he won’t be here forever. CU has to prove that they can be a hot property for the long haul and I’m not sure how we do that.
We continue investing in football. Continue increasing HC salary and AC salary pool, so we are always a legitimate contender to attract top coaching candidates. We increase recruiting personnel and budgets. We market the **** out of the program so our gameday crowds and booster networks grow and remain strong.

According to this site, CU averaged 353k viewers in 2022, which was good enough for 67th in the country, tied with Boise State and a couple spots below Colorado State (games with no data were represented as a zero audience, so not sure how heavily that weighed on CU's data). Obviously that was a historically poor season where even many CU die hards stopped watching. In order for CU to warrant serious consideration, I think the minimum average viewership number needs to get to 1.5m+, which would put them at 27th in the country, tied with Iowa from 2022.

I think CU is a very strong bet to dwarf that number in 2023 and get into the top 10-15 of avg viewership, especially with TCU, Nebraska, USC, Oregon, Washington and Utah on the schedule, but being able to maintain that for the next 5-6 years, regardless of Prime being here at that time will be the determining factor. Viewership and ratings are the only things that CU is missing.

Back