What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

While money and stability almost certainly drove this, I do think that distribution uncertainty was a factor. When you're an Athletic Department which has to recruit nationally, it's vital that your games are accessible for HS players, potential college transfers and parents / influencers across the country. The Big 12 could promise that and verify it while the Pac-12 was still saying to be patient and hope / trust.

That same dynamic applies to Oregon, so the Ducks being on the move is something I'm expecting.
I can't imagine the 4 corners all going to the Big12 and UO and UW standing pat.

The ducks are either going to beg the B1G and go with a reduced payout or they are going to jump the line for the Big12

How do we know for sure that the IPF and Champions Center doesn't get built if we had stayed in the Big 12? The answer is we don't.
CUAD had to take a loan from the Univ general funds while we were in the BigXII to make cover bond payments for the east stadium expansion. I believe that article was in the Denver Post and after GB was let go.

Here is an anecdotal story:
My dad lives in Miami and is a UF alum. Over his life he gave money to UF. However, when they stopped coming to Miami to play UM he stopped giving them money and told them as much when they called to ask for a donation. Donors are fickle. My guess is quite a few alums that used to enjoy seeing CU in the Bay Area, LA, and Seattle will likely have a similar reaction. Tldr: PLAYING IN FRONT OF YOUR ALUMS PULLS ON THEIR HEART STRINGS.

anecdotal
Ah. Everyone accepts the PAC move got us an immediate donation boost. But it's meaningless to keep talking about it if that boost was not sustained. And that's still the question. You've mentioned anecdote plenty. Anecdotally, CU has not been publicizing it's athletic donations for years now. So anecdotally, once could come to the conclusion that west coast donors had some initial excitement, as would be expected, and then went back to normal.

Winning is what really gets people motivated to give. That's what we have to do. I wish the PAC had worked long term. The original PAC 12 felt like the perfect spot. But it could not have been more mismanaged. The Big XII has drastically better leadership, stability, and current earning power. It's a no brainer. CU did not want to leave, and has given the PAC/ GK a million chances to show us why to stay. GK failed - partially his fault, largely out of his control - and so it's time to go.

If you want to pretend those building are not there you are more then welcome to do so. You can see Area 51 on google maps but it doesnt appear anywhere in the budget.
Are you drunk? I literally just told you I fully accept that increased west coast donations helped fund those buildings.

Miami: "Event X happened."

Me: "Yes, but what happened since?"

Miami: "But event X happened!!"

MiamiBuffs: "You keep saying he ****ed up but you cant see the forest for the trees: money for college sports rights is drying up."

Which is exactly why it was critical that CU move to the B12. Climate Change analogy: CU just moved from Corpus Christi, TX to Leadville, CO.
The NBA is expected to tripple its rights next year to $75b sponging up a lot of limited money. The B1G and SEC will not be getting less money. But In six years the 4th place BigXIIs rights will be up again and I suspect we will all be having this hand wringing conversation again.

CUAD had to take a loan from the Univ general funds while we were in the BigXII to make cover bond payments for the east stadium expansion. I believe that article was in the Denver Post and after GB was let go.

My dad lives in Miami and is a UF alum. Over his life he gave money to UF. However, when they stopped coming to Miami to play UM he stopped giving them money and told them as much when they called to ask for a donation. Donors are fickle. My guess is quite a few alums that used to enjoy seeing CU in the Bay Area, LA, and Seattle will likely have a similar reaction. Tldr: PLAYING IN FRONT OF YOUR ALUMS PULLS ON THEIR HEART STRINGS.
A rational alum would realize that even if CU was consistently good during their time in the PAC-12 wouldn't of changed anything. We still wouldn't have received a B1G invite. We are in this position because of the PAC-12 and the indifference California shows their teams.

They're needed for scheduling and planning.

You can't have a random assortment of opponents that change every year. You need some consistent opponents both for logistical reasons and for fan engagement.
Fixed rivals and rotate the rest seems to be what leagues are going to.

Ah. Everyone accepts the PAC move got us an immediate donation boost. But it's meaningless to keep talking about it if that boost was not sustained. And that's still the question. You've mentioned anecdote plenty. Anecdotally, CU has not been publicizing it's athletic donations for years now. So anecdotally, once could come to the conclusion that west coast donors had some initial excitement, as would be expected, and then went back to normal.

Winning is what really gets people motivated to give. That's what we have to do. I wish the PAC had worked long term. The original PAC 12 felt like the perfect spot. But it could not have been more mismanaged. The Big XII has drastically better leadership, stability, and current earning power. It's a no brainer. CU did not want to leave, and has given the PAC/ GK a million chances to show us why to stay. GK failed - partially his fault, largely out of his control - and so it's time to go.

Do you get more donations pressing the flesh and engaging with alums directly or do you get more doing it from distance over the phone?

You keep saying he ****ed up but you cant see the forest for the trees: money for college sports rights is drying up.

GK didnt get any good bids. Its not him, its the state of the business. Nine million people will cancel cable this year alone. Thats twenty thousand a day that were paying $7 month each just to ESPN….gone. People want to binge watch shows and movies on demand, not live TV. Thats where the money is going. Netflix and Amazon buying sports: hard pass. KU et al would do nothing.

As the money pot shrinks the rich will get richer NBA, NFL, SEC, B1G and the poor will get poorer.

And I got news for you, weve already been left behind because were NOT in the near $100m club with USC, UCLA, UT, and OU. Once the P2 shut everyone else out of the CFP or make their own playoff its game over.
GK was outflanked by Yormark who got the BIG12 deal to market and signed. All I'm saying is IF GK had poached a few BIG12 schools and signed a deal before the BIG12 had a chance, then the PAC would be in the position the BIg12 is in right now.

Do you get more donations pressing the flesh and engaging with alums directly or do you get more doing it from distance over the phone?
Do you get more donations from alums who care enough about athletics to come to sporting events or those you can only reach via phone? Via winning or losing? Via being on TV more often with a good linear TV media contract or not?

Read my post again. I said, specifically, I wish the PAC had worked out long term. It didn't. So, what would you have us do? Cling to the ship as it goes down?

This is a pretty good 11 min Podcast.
First goes over the Colorado move and what lead up to it, but then talks about the Oregon/Washington situation.
The commentary in the last 4-5 min is pretty spot on.

Personally prefer the PAC-12 but understand this.

SIAP but can anyone break down the money we will receive now?

$31mil vs ~$25mil?

As always, **** everyone around us, they all suck.

I hope CU got the max money and I hope I can watch them easily. I think basketball is going to be fun as ****, and if Oregon somehow joins us, that conference is not ****in bad.

But goddamn I hate sharing breathable air with BYU

Most of the conference additions have made sense, so president buy off has been straight forward. UCONN doesn't make sense to anyone but the folks in Bristol.
And while ESPN may have heavy sway in these matters, if they are simply proposing equal revenue share for UConn, there’s really no incentive for the Presidents to add them.

My dad lives in Miami and is a UF alum. Over his life he gave money to UF. However, when they stopped coming to Miami to play UM he stopped giving them money and told them as much when they called to ask for a donation. Donors are fickle. My guess is quite a few alums that used to enjoy seeing CU in the Bay Area, LA, and Seattle will likely have a similar reaction. Tldr: WINNING FVCKING GAMES PULLS ON THEIR HEART STRINGS.
FIFY.

Back