What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

They are the one that's confusing. Stanford can easily go independent and join other conferences for their non football sports. Cal has to be in a conference but their debt is too big like Wazzu to join the Mountain West.

I give the Pac-12 a 50% chance at survival but they gotta act fast. I would go at the American, Sun Belt, and Mountain West and see what you can get.

At the end of the day, it's all about subs with Apple and at least for one year, you still got A5 status in 2024-25. So you got a lot more than other P5s think you do.
Update: 5%

I have a hard time thinking there was ever a real path for us to the big at this time.

And like the other pac schools other than uo and uw we didn’t want to be held hostage by uw and uo.

I wish the pac could have found a way.

With the addition of the 4 corners the big 12 has a lot of teams who have been competitive and who have the potential to compete for it all.

The whole thing sucks. I wouldn’t say we are permanently second class but we are definitely not at the big kid table now.
Nothing wrong with being 2nd tier when the pot is so large. The problem now is if schools like Texas or Texas A&M want your coach in the 2nd tier, they can offer 20+ a year for them. The SEC and B1G will be getting 100+ million outside of Oregon and Washington after all income per school. How do you compete with that large term? You can't

You forgot Miami. I think they might be on the outside looking in. They don’t really seem to fit the sec and sure don’t fit the BIG. It could be a potential pickup?

No, I think Miami is positioning itself for a B1G invite.

if we measure the current round of realignment starting 2020 up until now, I think the conference standings are:
1. SEC
2. B1G
3. XII
4. MWC
5. tie: American, C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt
9. ACC
10. Pac
Until the ACC gets raided. They have to be 3rd. If they get raided, 9th makes sense.

At this point the B1G and the SEC have no need of the NCAA. They could very easily step out with their own governing body.

At that point they would then (and the money would dictate they have the power) vet additional schools who wanted to become a part of their organization, and the price to join would be fairly steep.

In the end you end up with something in the range of 35-45 schools who are in the money and everyone else on the outside looking in.

They could keep the B1G and SEC designations for marketing and tradition but don't be shocked if in the process they dissolve those "conferences" allowing them to dump the programs that they don't see as worthy (revenue generating) enough to justify membership. Could see 3-4 from each kicked to the curb.

This would create an interesting situation in basketball with the money that the tourney generates. Even though they don't dominate in basketball like they do in football they have the financial power to dictate rules. Might be that they make the umbrella of the organization larger for sports other than football allowing membership but not shares of football revenue to schools like Kansas, UConn, Duke, Gonzaga, etc.
Yormark's whole basketballl strategy to build a conference with enough basketball juice to prevent them from doing that if the NCAA tourney money is in play.

I have a hard time thinking there was ever a real path for us to the big at this time.

And like the other pac schools other than uo and uw we didn’t want to be held hostage by uw and uo.

I wish the pac could have found a way.

With the addition of the 4 corners the big 12 has a lot of teams who have been competitive and who have the potential to compete for it all.

The whole thing sucks. I wouldn’t say we are permanently second class but we are definitely not at the big kid table now.
Completely agree.

The only scenario I could think of might have been if we didn't jump first, and B$G decides on the Western division including Stanford. Maybe we'd be a better choice for the 4th over Cal.

Anyway we're home. Kinda like moving back home with your parents in your mid 30s. The financial security is awesome. But, awfully boring!

Until the ACC gets raided. They have to be 3rd. If they get raided, 9th makes sense.
I get what you're saying. I also think the moves this week, notably FSU's statement, weakened the ACC sigfnicantly and make them far more vulnerable to raiding than they were before 2020.

Not sure how you think the Big 12 will ever be a super conference. It's very solidly 3rd. Which means it will survive the longest, but there's the B1G, the SEC and everyone else. We're everyone else.

And Prime will do his best, but I seriously doubt we can make up the necessary ground to join that group.
What are they gonna do, exclude the Big 12 from the CFP and only allow the B1G and SEC to participate?

Yormark's whole basketballl strategy to build a conference with enough basketball juice to prevent them from doing that if the NCAA tourney money is in play.
Which is smart but how do you get anyone but Gonzaga? Everyone else want all sports bids. With GOR so high, it's difficult

I get what you're saying. I also think the moves this week, notably FSU's statement, weakened the ACC sigfnicantly and make them far more vulnerable to raiding than they were before 2020.
The reason they are 3rd is because they got FSU by the balls

technically AZ is a border state but just by a few inches.

👉👈

If they touch, they touch.

the definition of 'border' is "a line separating two political or geographical areas"

a point is not a line, it is a location without dimension.

• if Fred is right and there is actually "a few inches" shared by AZ and CO, then we're border states.
  • if typical map projections are correct, that AZ and CO only share a dimensionless point, it doesn't satisfy the definition.

The reason they are 3rd is because they got FSU by the balls
FSU sure doesn't think so. I hope you're right, as a Virginia Tech fan I really really really hope you're right, but time will tell.

the definition of 'border' is "a line separating two political or geographical areas"

• if Fred is right and there is actually "a few inches" shared by AZ and CO, then we're border states.
  • if typical map projections are correct, that AZ and CO only share a dimensionless point, it doesn't satisfy the definition.

FourCorners36.jpg

thinking about UConn, yes, there are good reasons why a Power conference wouldn't want them, but two counter points:
1. they've done a helluva job staying relevant in both men and women's hoops since the Big East fell apart
2. they deliver the NYC market more than any other available team

You don’t have to live this way. People CAN change. I have to believe that.

The Cougs (WSU) are the only team I really feel bad for in all of this shuffling.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I'd wonder about the XII grabbing them and OSU at $20m shares each as fodder for that late night TV window rather than screwing around with ASU and their dumbass president and Utah and their trash fans.

Default. Let the banks repossess.
google not immediately helping, and I'm not sure how serious you were being, but this could be smart or disastrous depending on what they put down as collateral and exactly which financial entities signed the deal

Brilliant fiduciary management by the California Board of Trustees to let UCLA scamper off without Cal given that stadium debt.
Well UCLA is getting a full B1G share, and is on the hook to cal for an unknown amount of money now. I have a feeling that check they will be cutting is going to be a much larger one than they anticipated. Haha.

Only one really making out great in this whole round is USC.

google not immediately helping, and I'm not sure how serious you were being, but this could be smart or disastrous depending on what they put down as collateral and exactly which financial entities signed the deal

Actually, I assume they sold bonds to cover the debt. Sucks to be one of those bondholders. OTOH, could be guaranteed by the state, so everyone gets paid and hopefully Liver's property taxes increase a bunch. Win-Win!

What do you think is the end game? Do the SEC and B1G survive as conferences or do the big schools just go and do their own thing outside the NCAA and current conference structure? And how man schools do you see being on that boat?
NFL lite for football
Some type of College Basketball super entity
All other sports back to regional conferences
There will not be SEC or B1G football
Anti-trust

Back