What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Equally shocking to at least the Bruins will be walking into stadiums full of 80, 90, 100,000 college football fans.
They will essentially have 9 away games now. But at least their AD will be making a ton of money selling out the rose bowl.

You are right about the networks driving this. They care about the bottom line.

At this point though we need to care about the bottom line as well. That is what motivated us to jump to the B12 when we were in a position of strength and got a full share instead of waiting for the rest of the conference.

If CU wants to compete at the highest level, if we want playing for championships to be a realistic possibility we have to worry about the money.

The SEC and the B1G are headed towards $100 million per school payouts, if you are trying to compete with the schools getting that kind of money then what a school does to the conference media distribution matters. If adding school X is likely to increase our value to the Networks by $5 million per school then come on in, I don't care if all they teach is truck driving and hair styling.

On the other side of that if adding Y school is likely to end up reducing our share by $3-4 million per year then no thanks, and I don't care how good their academics are or how great a place they are for a road trip.
Dude. My entire point was that the economic side is pre-baked into any school that Yormark would start talking to so I don't feel a need to do half-baked, inexpert speculation.

My point is that I believe the upper tier of CFB will become a closed shop at one point. If you aren't in by that point, you're out. Permanently.
CU really needs to become an elite football program over the next 5 years akin to what they were in the 90’s. We need to at the very least be perennial Top 25. If Prime can turn this ship around CU needs to follow up his tenure with a premier HC and staff.

I also wonder how the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 will deal with their perennialy weak programs? Will college football become an exercise in survival of the fittest?

I could imagine an entire demise of the current conference system into something more like a league similar to the pro leagues.

CU really needs to become an elite football program over the next 5 years akin to what they were in the 90’s. We need to at the very least be perennial Top 25. If Prime can turn this ship around CU needs to follow up his tenure with a premier HC and staff.

I also wonder how the SEC, Big 10 and Big 12 will deal with their perennialy weak programs? Will college football become an exercise in survival of the fittest?

I could imagine an entire demise of the current conference system into something more like a league similar to the pro leagues.
Have said before that I see a complete re-organization of college football coming.

In doing so they will likely dissolve the current conferences so they can leave the bottom 10-20 schools behind. And it won't be based on wins and losses, it will be about who brings in money.

Has anyone else noticed that the thread that has everyone talking out of their a$$es is currently 665 pages? It is by far the longest thread in AllBuffs (on the front page of the Football Chat). Apparently more people talk out of their collective a$$es than we hate Nebraska.

Can you imagine what this thread would have looked like over at netbuffs?
FIFM you a$$holes :giggle:

Money available.

At a bar Friday, I saw professional table tennis, followed by professional wiffle ball, both on ESPN. That was followed by people trying to climb icy steps. Tom Brady is part owner of a televised pro cornhole team. There are a number of pro athletes who are getting more per year, than universities are getting from their conference payouts.

I'm having trouble with it all. One player getting more for his season, than a university gets, for all sports, for 1 year.

Woof. You could probably count the number of teams in all of the NCAA that would have at least 1.7M paid monthly subscribers on two hands. There's not a single one in the old Pac12.
The number is probably closer to zero. Notre Dame might be the only school that could do it since their fan base extends well beyond alumni. Alabama has 200,000 living alumni - even if you assume 100% of those alumni live in separate households and would pay for service and you assume the number of bandwagon, non alumni fans is 4-5x the alumni number, you still don’t get close to 1.7M.

This article is true, sad, and hilarious....

"I thought the transfer portal was closed"- referring to the schools transferring conferences....

Eli Drinkwitz

Besides his name, dude is funny!

Apparently the kids can't do anything.... but the adults can get in a room and do whatever they want!

Revenue increase we haven't discussed much is that the Big 12 will be able to reshuffle its bowl tie-ins for max payouts. Still significant since most bowl eligible teams from the conference won't be in the 12-team playoff.

Here are all the payouts from last year:

I would argue that it’s not the conferences that are “transfer portaling” other conferences. It’s the networks. I think if you asked, the majority of college football fans would really prefer a system closer to what we had 30 years ago. A handful of smaller, regional conferences where travel is easy and rivalries are developed over decades of familiarity. All that’s essentially gone now, and I don’t for a second believe the leadership at the SEC or B1G is terribly happy about it. They’re doing what they have to do in order to remain relevant.

Good. I feel really bad for what’s happening to OSU and WSU but they bring zero value to a conference. Why would anyone in the Big12 want to split the pie with OSU? What good is moving to the Big12 if the entire conference (minus the 2 best brands) comes with? Enough.
Does joining the WCC for non football and going indy work for WSU/OSU? I get those schools are all religious, but that's a geographic no-brainer. Stanford and Cal might do it.

Does joining the WCC for non football and going indy work for WSU/OSU? I get those schools are all religious, but that's a geographic no-brainer. Stanford and Cal might do it.

Pacific, who is in the WCC is only religious in the sense that DU is, i.e., it was once but isn’t anymore in any meaningful way.

Nevada, UNLV, and UCSB were in the league in the 70s. Other public schools even farther back.

The faith-based piece is important to the schools but I think if it helps all the schools and the strength of the league, the WCC would be flexible.

I follow the hoops there very closely as my undergrad alma mater is in the WCC.

I think if you asked, the majority of college football fans would really prefer a system closer to what we had 30 years ago. A handful of smaller, regional conferences where travel is easy and rivalries are developed over decades of familiarity. All that’s essentially gone now, and I don’t for a second believe the leadership at the SEC or B1G is terribly happy about it. They’re doing what they have to do in order to remain WEALTHY.
FIFY!

Yeah....I'm wondering if that meeting starts out by admitting that they really screwed the pooch by letting UCLA leave before there was a confirmed home / TV deal for Cal. That B1G money isn't going to look all that great when its getting split by two schools.

Money available.

At a bar Friday, I saw professional table tennis, followed by professional wiffle ball, both on ESPN. That was followed by people trying to climb icy steps. Tom Brady is part owner of a televised pro cornhole team. There are a number of pro athletes who are getting more per year, than universities are getting from their conference payouts.

I'm having trouble with it all. One player getting more for his season, than a university gets, for all sports, for 1 year.
Yes. And then World Cup ski racing, a real sport, which presently has the greatest ski racer in the history of the sport, who is an attractive, very well spoken, super likable icon at age 27…. and American… Isn’t shown on any US sports channels… at all….

I grew up watching Phil and Steve Maher, Bode Miller, etc. on NBC — on weekends of all times.

Yes. And then World Cup ski racing, a real sport, which presently has the greatest ski racer in the history of the sport, who is an attractive, very well spoken, super likable icon at age 27…. and American… Isn’t shown on any US sports channels… at all….

I grew up watching Phil and Steve Maher, Bode Miller, etc. on NBC — on weekends of all times.
Wide World of Sports was one of the best shows ever. I may not watch 2-3 hours of a lot of sports on the regular, but when you package them as alternating feature events, they get much more interesting to me.

Love "The Agony of Defeat"

Similarly, I pay for about 20 channels dedicated to subject matter for which I used to get all I needed of in 1-3 shows that aired on PBS. Predictably, these networks are all struggling with 24 hours of their programming models and are all increasingly airing reality tv idiocy instead.

Production and talent costs aren't justified by revenues due to the number of stations & apps.

Yeah....I'm wondering if that meeting starts out by admitting that they really screwed the pooch by letting UCLA leave before there was a confirmed home / TV deal for Cal. That B1G money isn't going to look all that great when its getting split by two schools.
Lol, they won't admit they were wrong, even to themselves.

I need to spend more time dwelling on this, but here's a piece by someone claiming to be a lawyer on how Miami might get out of the ACC. each option is detailed a bit

Option 1: Leave the ACC and Fight the Grant of Media Rights
Option 2: Wait for Public Schools to Wreck the ACC, and Then Leave
Option 3: Collect Votes to Dissolve the ACC

option 1 describes a scenario where a school leaves, pays the exit fee and negotiates or litigates down teh media rights liability
option 2 is the sovereign immunity angle previously posted about, and largely dismissed by Allbuffs General Counsel
option 3 is the nuclear option built into the ACC GoR

link

Back