What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

The Pac-2 schools joining the WCC might explain the recent settlement news.

The big question is will the PAC become the first FBS football only conference?

Didn’t all of the same stories come out a few months ago when Florida State had their previous hissy fit? The media market only worsens by the day, which is why it’s unlikely ESPN or FOX is going to pony up $100+ million increases to their contracts for each “coveted” ACC schools. And also the GOR, it’s the same it has been, nobody has challenged it because it’s very well written and there is not a magic loophole.

I’d guess there is 1 more final and huge round of realignment coming, but it’s 3-5 years away and there are lots of things to work out before then.
The Big10 has more than one partner. They likely do this to keep Fox paying with the threat of replacement. Watch CBS after losing SEC. And competition has the effect of getting everyone to bid against each other.

UF is the hardest state school to get into in Florida. FSU is easier and also probably has far more alums around the state helping to capture the big TV markets. Thats a good add for the Big10 who want to keep the TV gods happy.

That's what I'm thinking. That FSU probably only needed another certain number of votes to have enough support to amend the by-laws... and the Commish & Committee pissed off & scared enough members for FSU to get it done.

Edit: And I think the Friday presentation by FSU is directed to garnering support for how it wants to amend the GoR provision. Since it's not a formal declaration that they're leaving, it's got to be stating a case to rally support.
They could have left FSU out as revenge. But I prefer the ESecPN narrative. 😂

"hundreds of millions of dollars coming into the conference in future years"

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
CFP revenue and the Rose Bowl

Oregon State and Washington State are in line to receive tens of millions in revenue over the next two years from current agreements the Pac-12 has with the College Football Playoff and Rose Bowl.

CFP revenue and the Rose Bowl

I’m curious if CFP and Rose Bowl will honor those agreements.

I’m guessing they will want to make changes since the agreements were originally based on PAC 12 as it was.

I’m curious if CFP and Rose Bowl will honor those agreements.

I’m guessing they will want to make changes since the agreements were originally based on PAC 12 as it was.
Can the Pac 12 even lay claim to the Rose Bowl after this year? All those games are CFP games with the 12 team playoff.

I'm sure everyone knew that but OSU & WSU recruiting at that level going forward really is on par for them.
So, that plays into the “Millions of Dollars” in the CFP future. They have lost coaches and talent and cannot replace it. There needs to be a 64 team Premier Division and a 48 team Championship Division where OSU and WSU can succeed. Makes the SMU to the ACC such a dirty money grubbing move.

So, that plays into the “Millions of Dollars” in the CFP future. They have lost coaches and talent and cannot replace it. There needs to be a 64 team Premier Division and a 48 team Championship Division where OSU and WSU can succeed. Makes the SMU to the ACC such a dirty money grubbing move.
My ideal system falls squarely into the "Ain't Happening" category.

64 teams in Tier I, in 4 geographical conferences of 16 teams (8 teams x 2 divisions per conf.).

Same geographic alignment for the 60-75 other schools that want to be FBS, in tier II.

Tier I schedule = 7 division games + 2 more conference games. No more than 2 tier II opponents, non conference games used to fill rivalry/regional matchups.

Tier I, win your division and autobid to playoff, no conference champ games, conferences just there to facilitate regional matchups. 16 team playoff, bids by record, tie breakers on typical H2H, common opponent, etc hierarchy, occasionally end up needing a BCS forumula to tiebreak seeds.

Tier II has conference champ games between division champs. Tier II conference Champs are promoted. Bottom conference record in Tier I are relegated, if there's a tie either H2H breaks tie, or a relegation game is scheduled.

Outside of 16 team playoff and tier II CCGs, there are a few bowl games that can pick from winning teams in both tiers.

My ideal system falls squarely into the "Ain't Happening" category.

64 teams in Tier I, in 4 geographical conferences of 16 teams (8 teams x 2 divisions per conf.).

Same geographic alignment for the 60-75 other schools that want to be FBS, in tier II.

Tier I schedule = 7 division games + 2 more conference games. No more than 2 tier II opponents, non conference games used to fill rivalry/regional matchups.

Tier I, win your division and autobid to playoff, no conference champ games, conferences just there to facilitate regional matchups. 16 team playoff, bids by record, tie breakers on typical H2H, common opponent, etc hierarchy, occasionally end up needing a BCS forumula to tiebreak seeds.

Tier II has conference champ games between division champs. Tier II conference Champs are promoted. Bottom conference record in Tier I are relegated, if there's a tie either H2H breaks tie, or a relegation game is scheduled.

Outside of 16 team playoff and tier II CCGs, there are a few bowl games that can pick from winning teams in both tiers.
Lost me at relegation. Honestly an awful idea at this level. I have no idea why that keeps getting brought up as some kind of worthy goal.

How is SMU going to the ACC a dirty money grabbing move when SMU won’t be getting TV $$$ from the ACC for about a decade?

I think you have a point, but I think your anger is aimed at the wrong people. I don't fault the ACC for adding the Bay Area schools and SMU. They added the most attractive schools they could and hoped it would be enough to hold them together. It probably isn't going to work, but whatever.

I don't even blame Texas for this-they joined a league with a number of schools in their part of the country. There's A&M. They have history with Arkansas going back to the SWC. Missouri was a former conference mate. LSU isn't far.

If you want to blame people for this, you need to blame the Pac 12 and Big 10. The Pac 12 had several opportunities to avoid dying as a functional conference. They could have raided the Big 12 three different times (which would have killed that league), and they chose not to. I tried to tell you all on that. They screwed up their TV negotiations time after time. CU had no other choice but to do what they did in July. The Big 10 has done nothing but chase money. The four Pac schools who are going over there are likely going to become what Nebraska now is. I don't believe there is a ton of difference between USC and Nebraska right now. Riley had all that offensive talent.....and went 7-5 with it because they couldn't stop anyone.

How is SMU going to the ACC a dirty money grabbing move when SMU won’t be getting TV $$$ from the ACC for about a decade?
SMU bought its way into P5, which is a private money-printing machine that has no rules and never has
OSU and WSU have been investing and working hard to be good P5 conference member
I would not likely have SMU in a league of 64, but would possibly have OSU and WSU
Permanent damage is being inflicted on OSU and WSU, and I know many of you have said, that is what it is and the rest of the PAC wanted it that way, but a 64-team league would not have regional or local bias or shenanigans, rather it is more like World Sports Clubs where if you have it and can support it, that is it.

Be cool to have a 64-Team league and each team pays a $1 Million Dollar Championship buy-in and the winner takes it all

Lost me at relegation. Honestly an awful idea at this level. I have no idea why that keeps getting brought up as some kind of worthy goal.
It is for football. It cant work in a recruiting transfer environment.

But without relegation you cant shake off the Vanderbilts and others there just to cash the TV check. The star programs in these big conferences (FSU) are already learning that the mediocre programs can vote to add more mediocre programs like Cal and Stanford despite the stars protest.

Back