What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Who doesnt like a rigged system? I wouldnt be surprised if its 9 to 10 teams from the B1G and SEC every year and 4 or 5 spots for everyone else
I mean, that’s exactly what it’s going to be. B1G and SEC will likely each have 4 each year, the Big 12 and ACc will each have 2 and G5 will have 1 with ND being the other. It’s hard to argue with that from a competitive standpoint as well, IMO

I mean, that’s exactly what it’s going to be. B1G and SEC will likely each have 4 each year, the Big 12 and ACc will each have 2 and G5 will have 1 with ND being the other. It’s hard to argue with that from a competitive standpoint as well, IMO

And that competitive standpoint is heavily influenced by money. And this proposed system ensures even more money for those who already have the most already so the rest will fall even further behind financially and competitively.

Any kind of solution the B1G and SEC sign off on will be more favourable to them than the previous solution. I don’t know if that’s gonna be auto byes for their conference champions and/or a distribution model tilted in their favour or some other BS but the primary beneficiary of anything they agree to will be themselves.

And that competitive standpoint is heavily influenced by money. And this proposed system ensures even more money for those who already have the most already so the rest will fall even further behind financially and competitively.

Any kind of solution the B1G and SEC sign off on will be more favourable to them than the previous solution. I don’t know if that’s gonna be auto byes for their conference champions and/or a distribution model tilted in their favour or some other BS but the primary beneficiary of anything they agree to will be themselves.
I don’t disagree, but the alternative of no AQ is definitively worse for the Big 12 and ACC

Agree GIF by yvngswag

this article is behind a paywall, but basically reinforces your point.

acc and b12 are in a **** position. either transparently acknowledge that the sec and big are now better conferences in exchange for some guaranteed playoff spots or risk the sec and big leaving entirely to start up an independent new level.

the money and competitive disadvantages of being so obviously relegated to a 2nd tier conference will only grow over time.

the problem is that the ship has already sailed. we were not in a position to get a seat at the big kids table. once usc did their thing, we were fooooked.

now we make the best of it.

acc and b12 are in a **** position. either transparently acknowledge that the sec and big are now better conferences in exchange for some guaranteed playoff spots or risk the sec and big leaving entirely to start up an independent new level.

the money and competitive disadvantages of being so obviously relegated to a 2nd tier conference will only grow over time.

the problem is that the ship has already sailed. we were not in a position to get a seat at the big kids table. once usc did their thing, we were fooooked.

no paywall archive.ph cant get behind :)

these paragraphs are the key points that ive been pushing on here for a year or two

The perception of equal access and opportunity separates American sports from other sports like European soccer, where the best leagues and teams constantly have rules and formats bent in their favor. But college football has never really acted like U.S. pro sports. Its recent consolidation of power is the latest in a long line of moves leaders have made to narrow the paths of money and influence.

The ACC and Big 12 don’t have enough sway to stop that consolidation in this situation, only to delay it. They face a choice accompanied by a thinly veiled threat that the Big Ten and SEC could leave the current college sports power structure and do their own thing without everyone else.

[...]

The math and the money say that the Big Ten and SEC hold almost all the cards, and there’s no more pretending after this summer’s realignment. Without a need for unanimity to change CFP rules for 2026 onward, those two can bend this format and future CFP revenue and governance in their favor and threaten to storm off altogether.

FYI, The Athletic is now included with Apple News+ and Apple One subscriptions.

That is where I'm at when it comes to CU in this whole realignment saga. We still have the best live mascot in the country and those B1G & SEC commies can't take that away from us.

The SEC and B1G won’t split off from everybody else. At least not until they each have 30 or so teams.
Yeah, the 14 team format will go into effect in 2026 and then 2030ish when the media deals are up for negotiation, is when I'd expect a full breakaway to happen with one overarching league with two conferences (AFC vs NFC style) playing for their own championship.

Granting the current ACC and Big 12 members a seat at the table is one thing, but giving a playoff spot to the likes of Tulane, Liberty, Boise State, SDSU, etc is ridiculous if we're being honest.

Yeah, the 14 team format will go into effect in 2026 and then 2030ish when the media deals are up for negotiation, is when I'd expect a full breakaway to happen with one overarching league with two conferences (AFC vs NFC style) playing for their own championship.

Granting the current ACC and Big 12 members a seat at the table is one thing, but giving a playoff spot to the likes of Tulane, Liberty, Boise State, SDSU, etc is ridiculous if we're being honest.
Part of that honesty is admitting that if there was a G5 playoff the viewership would be much closer to the FCS playoff numbers than what a P4 playoff would generate.

Thou shalt not besmirch the Tulane Green Wave.

The SEC and B1G won’t split off from everybody else. At least not until they each have 30 or so teams.
I wonder about this.

My initial reaction is that they don't have the inventory with the number of teams they have now, but I challenged myself on that opinion: the NFL and other professional North American sports leagues are extremely popular with only 30-32 teams. The issue I see is that part of the popularity of those leagues is that for the most part they started with a top-down approach of putting franchises in heavily populated metros to involve the entire country, even doubling up in a few.
  • Current SEC/B1G footprint is highly regionalized; although certain large metros have a school in the metro or close enough, they still miss out on 11 of the largest 32 metros, and that's if you include things like Rutgers being "in NYC metro area" and that UT/A&M "counts" for all three of Houston, Austin, and Dallas. There's a ton of people who just won't have anything resembling a local team
  • On the flip side there are a ton of smaller population areas that are overrepresented (Mississippi is the best example, having two teams while not boasting a single metro area in the top 90).
That's before you start tackling the questions of what that would do to scheduling.

Yeah this is what has sparked this new narrative that they are giving the college try and then eventually breaking away
that's probably going to trigger litigation then.

2 auto-byes coupled with 3 auto-bids together with the behind the scenes work of the networks to make all this happen = more than the acc and b12 can probably stomach.

it feels like collusive behavior and anti-competiive and is definitely harming the prospects of teams not in the monopoly.

i think they will get the 3 auto-bids but auto byes are ****ing over the top damaging to everyone not in the monopoly/cartel.

also, i don't really understand antitrust stuff in detail so i am just throwing out words but hey someone that knows what they are doing is definitely taking a hard look at how much is too much predatory and collusive behavior.

and, the sec and big are not stupid. they are already working on how to defend against all this if the left out are forced to litigate.

by the way, the pac and left behind 2 are stakeholders in this too. basically, to increase their own revenue and market share and dominance of the tv market, the 2 are in the process of wrecking 3 previously equal conferences.

my bloviating ass talking aside, i think even the big and sec will come around to something less egregious. this is at best extremely unseemly and possibly predatory behavior.

Collusion and antitrust stuff still out there as a nuclear option. I don’t think the 2 are going to go alone yet. They have time on their side.

Agree with what you are saying but below is something that could happen with the G5 schools.

I believe that in the FCS playoffs, the HBCU conferences do have an auto-bid but the HBCUs do not bother because they will get outbid for the rights to host home playoff games even if they were the higher seed. If a HBCU is ranked high enough but doesn't make the HBCU bowl game (aka black national championship game), that HBCU can end up in the FCS playoffs as it was the case with North Carolina Central University just last year.

What the B1G SEC cartel can do in this case is make it too expensive & uneven playing field for the lesser schools to participate in the CFP while the auto-bids are still there for those lesser schools. If the Feds can't pass that NIL legislation, will the Feds find the time and energy to slap an antitrust investigation & lawsuit on them?

They should have adopted the original 12 team proposal from Sankey. He warned them payback would be hell.
If I'm in charge of the B1G or SEC, my next move is having both of us do 8-team conference championship playoffs with the winner meeting in a bowl game. We'll see how much money's left for everyone else's postseason games once the networks got done buying our product. Almost all leverage is on 1 side.

If I'm in charge of the B1G or SEC, my next move is having both of us do 8-team conference championship playoffs with the winner meeting in a bowl game. We'll see how much money's left for everyone else's postseason games once the networks got done buying our product. Almost all leverage is on 1 side.

I have said for sometime that you need to look at the FCS and D2 playoff history & layout to get clues how this realignment could unfold.

Don’t like the rules of the playoff system? Just create your own bowl game or playoff. That is what the HBCUs in FCS ball have done and it was for financial reasons.

My f-ing idea of an over the top well funded franchise funded system with uniformity and fresh money has merit. Get the Players on your side as well as legislative deals. SMU got into the ACC by buying their way in. Get to the higher ground now! The B1G and SEC have **** markets and reducing CFB involvement throughout all regions and programs is dumb

My f-ing idea of an over the top well funded franchise funded system with uniformity and fresh money has merit. Get the Players on your side as well as legislative deals. SMU got into the ACC by buying their way in. Get to the higher ground now! The B1G and SEC have **** markets and reducing CFB involvement throughout all regions and programs is dumb

Fear not, if you don’t like how CFB is arranged, the new CFB video game will have realignment options and you can live in an alternate reality for CFB that way.

Fear not, if you don’t like how CFB is arranged, the new CFB video game will have realignment options and you can live in an alternate reality for CFB that way.
So everyone believes the B1G and SEC just own CFB now? We are just hoping for an invite to big boy land?
F that, explain how the players benefit from this P2 league? Eliminating say 32 schools is eliminating 2,720 roster spots for players.
Rutgers, Indiana, Miss State, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Maryland, whatever.
Lawsuits, anti-trust, etc…

Back