What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU housing expansion plans will close the Dark Horse

Only if said candles are sustainably sourced from fair wage female workers in impoverished nations so that I can feel smugly validated for spending $100 on a stinky candle which is for decor only (and to impress visitors to my home by never lighting it and leaving the hang tag on so that they can read the story while they try to figure out what they are actually supposed to use when washing and drying their hands in our powder room amidst our decorative towels and soaps). They also make wonderful gifts.
I used to get coffee labeled, "Java for Justice" from a relative as a gift. I almost felt guilty drinking it after reading the packaging.

It might be easier to list the places that still hold some Boulder history.

McGuckins.
Village Coffee Shop.
Harvest House.
Pasta Jays.
Flagstaff House.
Greenbriar.

I honestly cant think of any others.

Tulagis, Potters, Pearls, The Walrus, Oasis Brewery, 💀

Pretty sad.

Honestly Potters and Oasis (the OG, not the one that re-opened) were before my time, but out of the stuff that I loved in college there's only a few that are still open: the Dark House, Sundown Saloon, Illegal Petes, Half Fast, Southern Sun, The Fox, and The Sink. Tons of places, some that folks have mentioned and some that folks have not (The Catacombs, Connor O Neil's, Round Midnight) exist only in memory.

McGuckins.
Village Coffee Shop.
Harvest House.
Pasta Jays.
Flagstaff House.
Greenbriar.

Replying to myself because I’ve since thought of a few others.

The Sink, Fox Theater, Boulder Theater, Luciles, Boulderado.

Honestly Potters and Oasis (the OG, not the one that re-opened) were before my time, but out of the stuff that I loved in college there's only a few that are still open: the Dark House, Sundown Saloon, Illegal Petes, Half Fast, Southern Sun, The Fox, and The Sink. Tons of places, some that folks have mentioned and some that folks have not (The Catacombs, Connor O Neil's, Round Midnight) exist only in memory.
The James

McGuckins.
Village Coffee Shop.
Harvest House.
Pasta Jays.
Flagstaff House.
Greenbriar.

ArtMart, Nick-N-Willy's and a bunch of other places, so this stuff does get overstated. But we have lost a ton which didn't get replaced by something interesting.

On the other side, got to give some love for replacing Cheesecake Factory with Avanti market.

The one that probably bothered me the most was when Penny Lane closed.

ArtMart, Nick-N-Willy's and a bunch of other places, so this stuff does get overstated. But we have lost a ton which didn't get replaced by something interesting.

On the other side, got to give some love for replacing Cheesecake Factory with Avanti market.

The one that probably bothered me the most was when Penny Lane closed.
Used to gig there, but we needed another bike shop.

Oh man, Round Midnight. What a place.

There used to be Round-the-Corner restaurant on The Hill that served dollar pitchers of 3.2 beer. Boulder Social used to be Fate Brewing, but back in the day it was called Jose Muldoon's. There was a really cool small bar/music venue on The Mall called The Blue Note that featured local bands. Boulder is still awesome, though.

Oh.. and Eddie Crowder had a Mexican restaurant at the former Housing Helpers location called Eddie's Mexican Cafe that served kickass margs...

There used to be Round-the-Corner restaurant on The Hill that served dollar pitchers of 3.2 beer. Boulder Social used to be Fate Brewing, but back in the day it was called Jose Muldoon's. There was a really cool small bar/music venue on The Mall called The Blue Note that featured local bands. Boulder is still awesome, though.

Oh.. and Eddie Crowder had a Mexican restaurant at the former Housing Helpers location called Eddie's Mexican Cafe that served kickass margs...
Blue Note was also what they called the bar with live acts they did at one of the motels on 28th as you enter town. It got turned into a student apartment complex.

I believe the Harvest House is now shuttered and waiting for the wrecking ball. Last I saw had a fence around it and it was empty
It was only a question of whether it would be sold to a different hotel chain or would be redeveloped when Millennium chose not to bring it up to the 5* standard of its other properties.

I won't miss the hotel so much as I miss its Thyme on the Creek restaurant and its small concerts & other events. It was a great site for hosting things. Hopefully the new hotels & regional conference center going in on Broadway fill the gap this leaves.

Had Margie’s as a very underage kid at eddie Mexican joint before a game. The place was ****ing packed. We were at some kind of outdoor seating area and it was so crowded that you could probably have fed pitchers to toddlers without consequence. It seemed totally normal at the time.

Gentrification of cool towns seems like it never stops. Everyone really needs a hypersanitized sterile environment for their drinking these days.

Enjoy the last days of dark cold bars of
Questionable repute.

If you ask me, the City should acquire the Hooters, Ralphies, Harpo location, and let the Dark Horse buy it on the cheap, to raise it and rebuild with some good incentives. Of course they won't do that b/c the City would have to build a parking structure for the DH. What a cluster. All the iconic places are going away. Let's hope the Sink stays. It is nice to see the University Hill Neighborhood Association is starting to get the Heisman by the City. Maybe more places pop up there too!

Back