What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU in 2015 CBI

I was thinking I'd be able to walk up and get tickets, but when I saw they sold out their first game, I bought online today, $10/piece GA. What a deal. Should be pretty raucous.

I was thinking I'd be able to walk up and get tickets, but when I saw they sold out their first game, I bought online today, $10/piece GA. What a deal. Should be pretty raucous.

That's about what it costs to go to a movie. Ridiculous bang for your buck with this game.

so, did anyone notice impact of the 30 second shot clock? I didn't even think about it a few minutes after tip.

so, did anyone notice impact of the 30 second shot clock? I didn't even think about it a few minutes after tip.

Game seemed to flow a little quicker. Coach did call a timeout once when he thought a 10 second violation was about to be called with the changed clock. I prefer the shorter shot clock.

I cannot believe what the WAC has become. Grand Canyon? Chicago St.? I can't believe they get an automatic bid. NMSU is the only real program in the whole conference. We have to roll this B-team Monday.

Game seemed to flow a little quicker. Coach did call a timeout once when he thought a 10 second violation was about to be called with the changed clock. I prefer the shorter shot clock.

also in with the shorter clock, seemed like the game flowed better and was more fun, dont know how much of that was GW's ****ty defense.

I cannot believe what the WAC has become. Grand Canyon? Chicago St.? I can't believe they get an automatic bid. NMSU is the only real program in the whole conference. We have to roll this B-team Monday.

I just don't know if we'll be rolling a team that's fired up to be in this tournament on the road. Impressive job by Seattle in holding Pepperdine to 45 on a 30 second shot clock. It's not hard to envision Seattle inevitably getting hot from 3 while we go commit numerous boneheaded turnovers and suddenly we find ourselves in a dogfight. Their win over NMSU in Seattle was NMSU's only WAC loss of the year. I'll happily be wrong. I really want to win this damn CBI. I just cannot have confidence in CU on the road until I'm given some reason to have any.

I just don't know if we'll be rolling a team that's fired up to be in this tournament on the road. Impressive job by Seattle in holding Pepperdine to 45 on a 30 second shot clock. It's not hard to envision Seattle inevitably getting hot from 3 while we go commit numerous boneheaded turnovers and suddenly we find ourselves in a dogfight. Their win over NMSU in Seattle was NMSU's only WAC loss of the year. I'll happily be wrong. I really want to win this damn CBI. I just cannot have confidence in CU on the road until I'm given some reason to have any.

I think we lose this true road game.

They finished .500 in the woeful WAC, easily the worst conference in the country. They lost to Grand Canyon ... twice. I don't even want to think about what losing this one would mean for us ...

They finished .500 in the woeful WAC, easily the worst conference in the country. They lost to Grand Canyon ... twice. I don't even want to think about what losing this one would mean for us ...

They also were 1 win away from Dancing. Of course it would be embarrassing to lose, but we're a 16-17 team with a 2-10 road record facing a team that's 13-5 at home (not that 13-5 is spectacular, but home is home and 3 of those losses were in their opening few November games) . Add in Seattle being pumped up about this being their first modern-era postseason tournament and CU being Ski-less and our dedication to winning this CBI not particularly known, and it's easy to see how this could be a close game and potentially spell trouble for CU. Especially as it's going to be in a raucous gym, not the Key Arena funeral parlor.

Looks like we will have to be road warriors from here on out

This, not senior night, was the Coors Events Center’s swan song for 2015, and it came in front of a pitiful crowd of barely 1,200; the C-Unit was empty past the first three rows. But the Buffs (16-17) weren’t here for the crowd, they were here for each other, they were here to learn, and they were here to win.

Of course, this post game article on CUBuffs.com isn't aware that you HAVE to host at least 1 game if you make the CBI Finals (Best of 3 series), so who knows how solid this info is.

Tad on CBI:
One of our problems this year was that we pick-and-choose our spots as far as when we want to compete. That’s a problem that we have to get fixed. I just felt as a coach that, if we declined this invitation, the message I’m sendingto our players is that I don’t want to compete and I don’t think it’s that important or that big of a deal. That’s the wrong message to send to this team. This team needs to understand every day is an opportunity to compete, whether that’s in the class room, at practice or a game. We have to learn that we have to relish competitive opportunities. There are a lot of players that would love to be playing games right now. I asked our players over the last couple days whether they’d rather play tonight or do a 40-minute workout with the coaches. They’d rather play. We have guys that want to play and want to compete, so that’s a good thing. Initially when we left Las Vegasif you took a poll of our team, most guys wouldn’t want to play. I felt it was the wrong message to send. I couldn’thave lived with myself, slept at night, looked at myself in the mirror, espousing to compete and then pass on theopportunity.”

I like Tad's point here. We did pick and choose when to show up and compete this season and that's not acceptable. This team needs to learn to show up and play regardless of circumstances. If you're offered a chance to go out and compete, seize it. Prove you're "too good" for the CBI by winning it, not shying away from competition. If we were "above this" as a program then we'd be in the Big Dance or NIT, so clearly we aren't. And there are plenty of programs/players who would love to have a chance to play another game right now. I'd have loved to be here not so long ago in 2008 and 2009. This tournament could have done us a great deal of good while we sat 15-16 in 2010, but the Big XII didn't allow participation at that time (Shockingly, Big XII policy changed when Texas decided it wanted to play in 2013).

Last edited:
They also were 1 win away from Dancing. Of course it would be embarrassing to lose, but we're a 16-17 team with a 2-10 road record facing a team that's 13-5 at home (not that 13-5 is spectacular, but home is home and 3 of those losses were in their opening few November games) . Add in Seattle being pumped up about this being their first modern-era postseason tournament and CU being Ski-less and our dedication to winning this CBI not particularly known, and it's easy to see how this could be a close game and potentially spell trouble for CU. Especially as it's going to be in a raucous gym, not the Key Arena funeral parlor.

Win or lose, Tad will learn something about his guys. This team needs to learn to beat lesser teams on the road.

Win or lose, Tad will learn something about his guys. This team needs to learn to beat lesser teams on the road.

Great opportunity to check next year's team quality, potentially several road games against lesser teams. Much more worthwhile than beating teams like Gardner Webb at CEC. Despite the low quality of the CBI, it was a very good move to join the tournament.

Of course a loss at Seattle would be a real downer and not bode well for next year's season.

article in the Daily Camera...

Not sure XJ really gets it.
(Next year), it's going to be 20-plus a game — that's what I'm going for — with smarter shots and unselfishness to get my teammates involved," he said. "Starting Monday, that game is going to be the start of my senior year.

XJ had the highest DRebound rate of any of our regulars (only Tory was higher) and is a solid defender.

20 plus a game...

Here's I'll fix it for you:
I have no problem with him setting a scoring goal. Goals are good. He also has a goal of "getting (his) teammates involved." Hell, people are worried about him leaving yet he sounds dedicated to being a better player next year and you are all pissy. :lol:

If XJ'S head is in it to the point where he's consistently scoring 20, we will win a lot more games.

Awaiting my next infraction

XJ had the highest DRebound rate of any of our regulars (only Tory was higher) and is a solid defender.

I wasn't saying he did or didn't. XJ himself said he (paraphrasing) disappeared at times in this same story, but starting now he was turning over a new leaf. And that new leaf is 20 PPG.

Talk about wins, defense, hustle, dedication, selflessness, rebounding, weightlifting, SR leadership, pretty much anything else but PPG.

Well to get to 20ppg, he will have to play defense, hustle, dedicate himself, rebound, lift, share the ball, and it will result in wins.

I agree it's not a goal to speak about, especially publicly, but I hope he can achieve it. Won't get there if he doesn't do the other things.

Back