What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU in Texas

I'd put it: 35% Cali, 25% Texas, 20% Colorado and 20% "Other". Give or take as averages over time.

Agree in concept.

Adding to that, it's important to build recruiting relationships in targeted areas of CA and Texas.

I'd rather have 10% San Diego, 10% LA, 5% "other" California than some other random distribution. 25% from Sacramento and 10% from SoCal would bug me.

As for Texas, we need Q from El Paso, and then a focus on one of the major metros. It's a tough gig to recruit Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Austin, and the rest of the state equitably.

Actually, Sacramento and No Cal present a nice opportunity for this staff.

Texas is recruiting DFW, San Antonio, and Houston. 1-2 recruiters for each city.

As for Texas, we need Q from El Paso, and then a focus on one of the major metros. It's a tough gig to recruit Houston, DFW, San Antonio, Austin, and the rest of the state equitably.

I have been wondering about Q. Haven't heard a thing from PopsD for a while now.

I have been wondering about Q. Haven't heard a thing from PopsD for a while now.

Q had a better showing at another camp after the CU camp on June 1. He's coming back on the 18th to try to show better what he's capable of in front of our coaches.

Actually, Sacramento and No Cal present a nice opportunity for this staff.

Texas is recruiting DFW, San Antonio, and Houston. 1-2 recruiters for each city.

i suspect that is because the SJSU experience opened a pipeline in Sac & No Cal. Go with what you know. That doesn't mean Sac/NorCal is the more fertile ground.

As for Texas, the question is whether CU is getting the desired return on the recruitment effort by spreading out to the big 3 metros. Would CU get a better return with 3 recruiters in DFW and 3 in H-Town?

Just for kicks, I took a peak at Leech and Wazzou's roster. I would have thought that the Pirate has enough rock star status in Texas to clean up. It turns out there are 5 texans on the roster, from boondocks like Bullard, Leander, Port Arthur, Amarillo and Palo Duro. Wazzou is doing better with the Samoans. LOL.

i suspect that is because the SJSU experience opened a pipeline in Sac & No Cal. Go with what you know. That doesn't mean Sac/NorCal is the more fertile ground.

As for Texas, the question is whether CU is getting the desired return on the recruitment effort by spreading out to the big 3 metros. Would CU get a better return with 3 recruiters in DFW and 3 in H-Town?

Just for kicks, I took a peak at Leech and Wazzou's roster. I would have thought that the Pirate has enough rock star status in Texas to clean up. It turns out there are 5 texans on the roster, from boondocks like Bullard, Leander, Port Arthur, Amarillo and Palo Duro. Wazzou is doing better with the Samoans. LOL.

The Sacramento metro has 2.5 million people. We'll find as much or more talent there than in the entire state of Colorado. And that talent is unaffiliated with any Pac-12 home program.

The Sacramento metro has 2.5 million people. We'll find as much or more talent there than in the entire state of Colorado. And that talent is unaffiliated with any Pac-12 home program.

Sacramento represents what...8 percent of of the golden state's population. Hey, if he can land a dozen more recruits with a motor like Gillam, I'm on board.

Too bad MacIntyre didn't do his magic at San Diego State. When it comes to unaffiliated p12 talent, SD>Sac. Just sayin'.

Really? I would think in a class of 22 if 7 of those were from Colorado that would be great. I'm talking optimal class here so hopefully 7 of the top 10 players here

That would be unrealistic as long as CU continues to lose at least a couple of the top in state recruits every year. Once you get outside of the top 5 in CO, things usually get pretty subjective. 4-5 CO preps every year would be more reasonable, and some years, like this year, finding 4-5 will be a stretch.

Sacramento represents what...8 percent of of the golden state's population. Hey, if he can land a dozen more recruits with a motor like Gillam, I'm on board.

Too bad MacIntyre didn't do his magic at San Diego State. When it comes to unaffiliated p12 talent, SD>Sac. Just sayin'.

San Diego is loaded with talent. Trouble is it is also loaded with recruiters. SC and UCLA have a heavy presence there, the Zona schools recruit it heavily and have for a long time. UW has also been there for a long time, so have a whole bunch of other schools.

The Sacramento area on the other hand gets a lot less recruiting pressure and also the players don't seem to have the ties to the big Cali schools like the SD kids do.

At this point in the program we have to take advantage of the best opportunities we have. As a side benefit if done right we can become a preferred destination for kids from the region in the future.

San Diego is loaded with talent. Trouble is it is also loaded with recruiters. SC and UCLA have a heavy presence there, the Zona schools recruit it heavily and have for a long time. UW has also been there for a long time, so have a whole bunch of other schools.

The Sacramento area on the other hand gets a lot less recruiting pressure and also the players don't seem to have the ties to the big Cali schools like the SD kids do.

At this point in the program we have to take advantage of the best opportunities we have. As a side benefit if done right we can become a preferred destination for kids from the region in the future.

Let me take this logic one step further. Are you implying that MacIntyre was successful at SJSU, in part, because Sacramento is rich with P5 talent that otherwise escape recruitment by P5 schools?

I like to think that MacIntyre was successful at SJSU because he was a good coach, and that he would have been a winner at San Diego State or anywhere.

Now with all this endorsement of Sacramento as some undiscovered, yet fertile recruitment ground leaves me wondering how much of MacIntyre's previous success is attributable to his fortune of being near to Sacramento on his last gig.

I'd rather have a coach who can win head-to-head recruiting battles in known territories instead of putting faith in someone who finds success recruiting in places that are off the radar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me taking this logic one step further. Are you implying that MacIntyre was successful at SJSU, in part, because Sacramento is rich with P5 talent that otherwise escape recruitment by P5 schools?

I like to think that MacIntyre was successful at SJSU because he was a good coach, and that he would have been a winner at San Diego State or anywhere.

Now with all this endorsement of Sacramento as some undiscovered, yet fertile recruitment ground leaves me wondering how much of MacIntyre's previous success is attributable to his fortune of being near to Sacramento on his last gig.

I'd rather have a coach who can win head-to-head recruiting battles in known territories instead of putting faith in someone who finds success recruiting in places that are off the radar.

No I'm not saying that Sacramento is some undiscovered well of talent. I am saying that it is less intensively recruited than some other areas and that the kids there are less tied into the LA schools than in some other areas.

I agree that M2 has to win some head to head battles to be successful but I also don't mind taking advantage of opportunity when it presents itself.

There is no hidden secret way to becoming a winner but it does help to take advantage of what you can to get the players you need.

We'd all love M2 to go into LA and wrap up all the 5*s in town but right now that isn't happening for us. Win some games, build a foundation, and then we can go head to head more often on better players but for right now resources have to be used in the most productive ways.

What we got with MacIntyre is someone with a pipeline into NorCal, including Sacramento.

This isn't about Sacramento. It's about this coaching staff recruiting where they have a comfort zone. Their sweet spot is not SoCal nor Texas nor Colorado. It just happens that their pipeline is NorCal and not somewhere else.

One problem with recruiting the state of Texas is all the next tier schools in the American or Conference USA have still had winning seasons and are much more visible to players we may be going after. At UNT, receiver Tee Goree has the opportunity to visit home whenever his schedule permits and can have friends and family come up for the game. In Houston, Zach Vaughan will play for a team that's been historically good in the last decade and will also be about 3 hours from home. It's hard for CU to recruit in Texas now because we are an afterthought with zero scheduled games in the state and no bowl games to these recruits' memories.

Embree and Hawkins did a lot of things poorly which yielded the expected results once they were found out. Conversely, coaches who were a better fit for leading CU like McCartney and Barnett had a healthy number of both Californians and Texans on the roster because they understood geographically where the closest density of great talent was and could sell them with a clear vision of the program, plus they were delivering very promising results on the field.

One problem with recruiting the state of Texas is all the next tier schools in the American or Conference USA have still had winning seasons and are much more visible to players we may be going after. At UNT, receiver Tee Goree has the opportunity to visit home whenever his schedule permits and can have friends and family come up for the game. In Houston, Zach Vaughan will play for a team that's been historically good in the last decade and will also be about 3 hours from home. It's hard for CU to recruit in Texas now because we are an afterthought with zero scheduled games in the state and no bowl games to these recruits' memories.

Embree and Hawkins did a lot of things poorly which yielded the expected results once they were found out. Conversely, coaches who were a better fit for leading CU like McCartney and Barnett had a healthy number of both Californians and Texans on the roster because they understood geographically where the closest density of great talent was and could sell them with a clear vision of the program, plus they were delivering very promising results on the field.

Barnett was very focused on Texas and recruited there better than he did California. When Hawkins came in, California got re-emphasized like it was in Ricky Neu's days with the familiar Boise pipeline. And the strength in Texas was being somewhat maintained until Grimes left for Auburn. We still haven't recovered from that either in recruiting or OL play. Losing Grimes may have been the biggest blow to CU football in the past 7 years and I completely underestimated the impact it would have.

Barnett was very focused on Texas and recruited there better than he did California. When Hawkins came in, California got re-emphasized like it was in Ricky Neu's days with the familiar Boise pipeline. And the strength in Texas was being somewhat maintained until Grimes left for Auburn. We still haven't recovered from that either in recruiting or OL play. Losing Grimes may have been the biggest blow to CU football in the past 7 years and I completely underestimated the impact it would have.

Barnett could sell the kids on playing a couple games a year in Texas/Oklahoma which helped with the mom and dad issue. Barnett could also sell a program that had been nationally ranked virtually the entire prior decade and had won a lot of games against those B12 south schools. Winning makes everything easier.

I don't think that we can ever count on Texas to build our core roster like we did in the Barnett years but if we do it right we should be able to get some solid contributors out of there every year. Texas has linemen and Texas has speed and its hard to have to much of either.

I continue to maintain Arizona is the untapped resource this program desperately needs. Can realistically appeal to PAC-12 kids and hurt division rivals in the process.
A lot of talent down there, I agree. We'd be retarded to not recruit Texas. We need to keep hitting it and Jeffcoat needs to earn his pay.

And Grimes was the 2nd OL coach after Strausser. The Texas recruiting was just an unintended bonus for Hawkins because I know a lot of people bugged him about it and he only paid it lip service. Hence his random recruiting of the rest of the 50 states.

And Grimes was the 2nd OL coach after Strausser. The Texas recruiting was just an unintended bonus for Hawkins because I know a lot of people bugged him about it and he only paid it lip service. Hence his random recruiting of the rest of the 50 states.

What drove me nuts about Hawkins. Did he have a recruiting plan? He constantly changed what he was supposedly doing on offense, in practice, in camps, in off-season. It's like he never had an organized plan for anything, he just did what he felt at that moment.

We cannot ignore Texas. Too much talent down there in a state where football is king.

I imagine the inordinate attrition numbers have as much to do with coaching staff incompetence and instability as anything else. Hopefully, that's fixed now.

Back