What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU vs Utah 12/12 10:00 AM Fox BIG NOON SATURDAY - GAME THREAD

We are not quite who we thought we were...

You don't think so?

I think we all knew that we weren't playoff material, that we had depth issues, and that our playcalling was suspect.

That all surfaced today. Not many teams can withstand that loss of a player of Landman's importance, but the dreck that was left at the LB position was something we were all worried about as it was.

I think the other thing that we should remember is the TE position. That was Noyer's security blanket in the first two games, and he has suffered in the passing game since everyone went down. When he tried the TE today, we had a certain 1st and goal inside the 5 dropped - I don't believe Sam ever went back there.

What really bugs me about this game is that since Utah has a good defense against the run we didn't even try to establish the run therefore letting them dictate our gameplan. Come out and do what you want to do and don't change unless it stops working. Make them adjust, but instead Utah psyched Chiv into adjusting before the game even started.

What really bugs me about this game is that since Utah has a good defense against the run we didn't even try to establish the run therefore letting them dictate our gameplan. Come out and do what you want to do and don't change unless it stops working. Make them adjust, but instead Utah psyched Chiv into adjusting before the game even started.

Frankly, I don't think Chev did all that badly in the first half. We had some drops that killed a couple of drives, but the vertical passing was working and Noyer was on. What I found interesting was that what Chev's game plan was, to use the pass to have Utah drop their LBs and open things up for the run, didn't happen. Utah never changed their defensive plan.

What was really disappointing was that in the second half, when it was obviously that Noyer had cooled off, but the running game seemed to be opening up, Chev and Hagan seemed to be insisted on forcing either the pass or Joe Davis.

How many snaps did Vontae get after he was slammed to the ground?

I think I remember him catching one more ball after that, but he seemed to disappear from there.

i feel pretty good about the year overall. the staff outperformed expectations of most of us and they schemed a few wins. we don't have enough athletes, but we knew that-- gotta recruit size and speed. of course.

i had another random thought about the play calling in the first half-- maybe they were trying to showcase noyer. it is probably his last or next to last college game and they could show him off a bit and maybe he will get a camp invite. plus, they can show recruits what they what to do offensively--we were really one dimensional the last few weeks. give noyer credit-- he threw some really nice passes. and our wideouts showed they have skills.

we have to find a way to get deeper on the lines and not sure what happens at lb next year, but this was a satisfying season.

I am not saying we can prevent injuries on bad surfaces (though that field today and the basketball court at Washington were both disgraces), just that the injuries to Dinwiddie and Landman are eerily similar

I don't recall the floor situation when Spencer went down, but I agree that the field conditions were crappy today. Frustrating, because I have seen CU handle snowy conditions at Folsom plenty of times better than today, in worse weather.

Still, there were probably north of 50 kids who played on that field today. Thankfully, only one of them had the injury Nate had. I wish he hadn't suffered it, but I think it was bad luck more than anything else.

The Transfer Portal is going to completely cool off, and kids are starting to realize there is no where to go.
Yeah I wonder about that - if teams have a lot of kids taking advantage of this years eligibility freebie, they’re going to have a numbers problem at some point and may be less interested in taking transfers.

Observations:
Was Lavontae healthy at the end of the game? Where was he?
Why oh why oh why when we are in 4-5 wide sets do we still keep a TE in the slot?
Especially a 3rd string TE when either Rice or Shenault are standing on the sideline?
Also trying to figure out Arias? He has amazing talent and upside and he has drops and is not used to take the top off!

Found myself yelling too often, "make the tackle!" There were so many missed tackles that really let Utah off the hook. It was tough to watch.

Found myself yelling too often, "make the tackle!" There were so many missed tackles that really let Utah off the hook. It was tough to watch.

Rewatching the game and it is fukked up that Utah got called for ZERO penalties!!!

after the B Rice screen TD, Utah had two big runs and there was holding/tackling on both plays! Mustafa on the first one gets held and tackled in the hole. Second one Lang gets the same treatment and no call!

Also later in the game on a batted ball against Sam, our O lineman (right guard) is getting jacked in the facemask (illegal hands to the face) all the way back to the QB, then the ball is batted.

then on one of Covey’s kick returns a huge block in the back occurs on the guy that would have tackled him.

our two big penalties that murdered us were the mystery 15 yarder during the stupid blanket discussion on the kickoff fair catch, and then the hold on our good kick return!

frustrating

Rewatching the game and it is fukked up that Utah got called for ZERO penalties!!!

after the B Rice screen TD, Utah had two big runs and there was holding/tackling on both plays! Mustafa on the first one gets held and tackled in the hole. Second one Lang gets the same treatment and no call!

Also later in the game on a batted ball against Sam, our O lineman (right guard) is getting jacked in the facemask (illegal hands to the face) all the way back to the QB, then the ball is batted.

then on one of Covey’s kick returns a huge block in the back occurs on the guy that would have tackled him.

our two big penalties that murdered us were the mystery 15 yarder during the stupid blanket discussion on the kickoff fair catch, and then the hold on our good kick return!

frustrating
I’m horrible at spotting penalties, but I saw Utah OL with handfuls of black jerseys and Buffs players being tugged back on a few plays. P12 seems to have some vendetta against CU. Starting with the whole CCG issue prior to this game, and then odd penalty calls against CU and zero against a handsy Utah team...

Seeing how well other school’s field crews cleared their fields has me even more pissed off. Epic fail.
This.

i was amazed at the fact that we couldn’t clear our field, even though the snow had stopped long before game time. The residual piles of snow and ice directly led to a Utah TD at a critical moment.

Johnson and Coach Barnett commeted that they didn’t see anyone slipping, but I saw a ton of CU defenders slip.

In fact our field seems poorly prepared for most games. Huge torn up chunks, and I watch Broussard slip and stumble most games (he’s the person making the most dramatic cuts, obviously).

I’m not sure our field/turf scheme is the best one for the success of this team in this environment. I’m not sure when we changed over to this, but it seems to slow down the game speed overall.

I live right near the Rose Bowl, and the speed of play seems higher on that turf. (I hate the seating there though, and the UCLA “Yell Squad” is so painful to have to deal with, as to make games unwatchable.)

Last edited:
Back