What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

We are playing our third game next week and really have no clear answer as to what we have in Lewis.
Oh give me a break. His arm strength is a little less than what it looked like on his hs tape and he's a little slow anticipating receivers currently but he's 2.5 games into his college career and he just played against the 10th best defense in the nation last year...the game is going 100 mph for him. His running ability clearly translated well based off what was seen today so If you were expecting trevor lawrence game 1 idk what to tell ya.
Bad play calling and a lack of talent tend to make for sad Saturdays.
Our defense held a top 35 offense from 2020 who plays in the sec (they face really good defenses every week), loaded with 4 & 5 star talent, to 10 points in which they played the entire 2nd half. Our least talented group is our oline, with Fillip our line talent is mediocre on their best day. CU had a better yards per rush by more than 1 yard while sacks, tfl, pbu, and turnovers were identical. They didn't lose the game for us, chev did.

Not to be a sunshine pumper but I think 15 years of suck have soured some cu fans. If landman doesn't go out last year, we beat utah, end the season 5-0, and Texas is completely different. We have talent but no depth so barring another landman heartbreak we will be contending for a south title again

Oh give me a break. His arm strength is a little less than what it looked like on his hs tape and he's a little slow anticipating receivers currently but he's 2.5 games into his college career and he just played against the 10th best defense in the nation last year...the game is going 100 mph for him. His running ability clearly translated well based off what was seen today so If you were expecting trevor lawrence game 1 idk what to tell ya.

Our defense held a top 35 offense from 2020 who plays in the sec (they face really good defenses every week), loaded with 4 & 5 star talent, to 10 points in which they played the entire 2nd half. Our least talented group is our oline, with Fillip our line talent is mediocre on their best day. CU had a better yards per rush by more than 1 yard while sacks, tfl, pbu, and turnovers were identical. They didn't lose the game for us, chev did.

Not to be a sunshine pumper but I think 15 years of suck have soured some cu fans. If landman doesn't go out last year, we beat utah, end the season 5-0, and Texas is completely different. We have talent but no depth so barring another landman heartbreak we will be contending for a south title again

I DID expect Trevor Lawrence.

All this talk about firing Chev, but the defense allowed four third down conversions on the game losing drive. Including a ****ing touchdown on ****ing third and ****ing nine.
Yeah, that was painful. And from a guy probably eating ****ing crayons for the first quarter.

Can our kicker actually make field goals?
If so, we should have been up by ten going into the fourth.
But yeah, Chiv needs to go. His calling tonight was as bad and short bus shawn

At the time we were replacing Mel, a good number of Buffs fans wanted Chev for HC.

A greater number felt he needed to be kept somehow - make him full OC or even swallow and give him the HC job if that's what it takes - because CU couldn't afford to lose his recruiting.

Well, now we've got a guy as OC who is:

1. Obscenely overpaid.
2. Just as bad at the job as when he failed at it last time.
3. So full of himself and his status that he no longer recruits anyway.

I liked Chev a lot as a recruiter. He has never been a good position coach. He has been a terrible coordinator. He has always had an over-inflated ego & has gotten away with being a problem within staff dynamics because he was RG's guy.

We get immediately better coaching and organizational dynamics the day he's shown the door.

At the time we were replacing Mel, a good number of Buffs fans wanted Chev for HC.

A greater number felt he needed to be kept somehow - make him full OC or even swallow and give him the HC job if that's what it takes - because CU couldn't afford to lose his recruiting.

1. Obscenely overpaid.

I liked Chev a lot as a recruiter. He has never been a good position coach. He has been a terrible coordinator. He has always had an over-inflated ego & has gotten away with being a problem within staff dynamics because he was RG's guy.

We get immediately better coaching and organizational dynamics the day he's shown the door.
Yup. If he doesn't recruit then there is no problem showing him the door.

He got his shot at OC, but he frankly doesn't have enough tactical intelligence to run an offense.

Who are some good, *realistic*, OC candidates? Let’s just assume for a second that Danny Langsdorf is not in the running for the job in 2022

I also think we were to quick to give up on the run game at moments in the game. Our offense has no identity and are 2 games in now.
Always talk about being a run the ball team yet never fully commit to it. Or go with the 4 WR set and spread the field to help open holes for the backs. Our O is very predictable

Who are some good, *realistic*, OC candidates? Let’s just assume for a second that Danny Langsdorf is not in the running for the job in 2022
We also have a major problem with our OL Coach.

So my moves this offseason would be something like:

1. Fire Rod and hire a guy like Roman Sapolu (OL & Run Game Coordinator at Fresno State). Put him in the same job title at CU he has at FSU.

2. Fire Chev. Hire Chip Long. Major program success as an OC now doing his career rehab year post-Tennessee by running that dynamic Tulane offense.

Long's a TE Coach position-wise, so this scenario would also end Cook's tenure and have us hiring a new WR Coach - which would be done with an emphasis on recruiting.

1. Obscenely overpaid.

Nailed it!

We also have a major problem with our OL Coach.

So my moves this offseason would be something like:

1. Fire Rod and hire a guy like Roman Sapolu (OL & Run Game Coordinator at Fresno State). Put him in the same job title at CU he has at FSU.

2. Fire Chev. Hire Chip Long. Major program success as an OC now doing his career rehab year post-Tennessee by running that dynamic Tulane offense.

Long's a TE Coach position-wise, so this scenario would also end Cook's tenure and have us hiring a new WR Coach - which would be done with an emphasis on recruiting.
I can be talked into a west coast guy as our OC but our line coach needs to be a guy with deep texas ties in order to compete in this conference.

If plan A isn't working go with Plan B. Should have dove into the playbook for some trick plays. Where was the flea flickers, jet sweeps, screens, zone read runs and etc. Even a quick throw out wide to Brousard or to a reciever?. All we needed was 11 points to win the game. CU should also have B lewis under center more to do play action off the run.

We’re probably better off waiting until the end of the season to make a big change, but I will point out that freaking Navy just fired their OC yesterday for a poor start to the season. He’d been coaching at Navy for almost 20 years too.
The Navy problems extend to last year. 23 points in 5 games. But I get your point.

I can be talked into a west coast guy as our OC but our line coach needs to be a guy with deep texas ties in order to compete in this conference.
After 2 straight poor seasons, a TX/OK guy who could be on the market as OC would be North Texas HC Seth Littrell. I think that would be an absolute home run. If he became available and we didn't pounce, I'd be annoyed as hell.

Another guy I have my eye on, but more as a KD replacement, is Troy Taylor. HC at Sac State after being OC at Utah. Former Buffs assistant. Hell, maybe he'd take OC/AHC since CU could quadruple his salary.

Regarding OL and your specific question, I'd take a look at some of the better G5 offenses in Texas. I know Mattox (former UT OL & still young) is at UTSA now. Probably someone to interview.

Back