What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Darrin Chiaverini relieved of his duties as Offensive Coordinator

The offense isn’t going to get fixed in 2021. Coaches and players who are currently unaffiliated with Colorado Football will need to do that. Firing Chev is the first of many dominoes that must fall in order for that improvement to occur.
I think some heads have to roll on the offense to keep the defense playing well.

Even if the offense doesn't actually improve, you've got to let the defense know that you're not just hanging them out to dry.

I just think about an interview I saw at some point last year where he and LC were talking about how they were sitting around after Tucker left and going through their list of names they supposedly keep, when they said KD’s name came into their heads and they questioned why they hadn’t been giving him greater consideration, as if he was some no brainer candidate.

Frustrating
That kind of thing is easy to say after the fact when you’re trying to sell a hire the fans are skeptical of.

Last edited:
Firing Chev is the first step and I think @Buffnik is correct in that the whole O staff needs to go at this point. A lot of the decent talent, and there is talent on this team, is going to hit the portal at the end of the season regardless. If you are keeping KD, and in a perfect world he would be gone to, you have to rip it off and give him one last chance to fix it. The problem is we are not going to have better athletes in the future so it gets harder. Talent is as good as it gets in comparison to the other teams we play and will drop off. Not a good situation for this program at all. About as bad as it has been in since Embo

I remember going into this season thinking that we would win a few games by out scoring the opponents. Stuff like 35-31 type games. I honestly thought, given the guys we had atbthe skill positions and what looked like a serviceable, if not spectacular OL, that the offense would be what would carry this team. Holy **** was I way off. After ruminating on it for the better part of the afternoon, I can honestly say this was truly one of the all time worst offensive performances I’ve ever witnessed. The defense wasn’t great, either. Minnesota obviously had done their homework, knew our offensive and defensive tendencies, and game planned for it. I’m at a total loss as to what the **** we did all week in preparation for this game.

#FireChev?

The guy I was responding to said QB play was why we're struggling and chev can get another job as a wr coach or recruiting coordinator because he can recruit when he wants. I responded saying he's holding a freshman qb to a higher standard than the coach who isn't even doing the one job he was mildly good at. What are you missing?

This whole thread is about discussing why we need to fire that coach LOL. That being said, Lewis is playing with so much fear that its hard to not look at that and say that's part of what's going on here. Does 85-90% of this lie with the scheme? Obviously. Does BL get a free pass (For as bad as he's looked, he's thrown......1 pick)? **** no.

That game felt like we went back in time. The team spent 3.5 hours trying to resurrect the ghost of Embree. Lewis is scared and has zero confidence. The team has no idea what it's supposed to do. Absolutely humiliating. Something has to change.

Agreed. There are dudes on here and within the fan base who think this is the only issue and will fix the issue.

We need to define the term "fix" in this context. Are we going to be able to win the 35-31 games @Not Sure talked about in his post this year? Nobody on here thinks that's realistic. Can this team do enough offensively to try and win 17-14 type football games? Maybe. Start there.

This whole thread is about discussing why we need to fire that coach LOL. That being said, Lewis is playing with so much fear that its hard to not look at that and say that's part of what's going on here. Does 85-90% of this lie with the scheme? Obviously. Does BL get a free pass (For as bad as he's looked, he's thrown......1 pick)? **** no.
Correct. That's been my position since A&M. Lewis didn't deserve as much crap as he was getting after A&M. He played worse today and deserves criticism as does the o line. But it's still 95% on chev.

We need to define the term "fix" in this context. Are we going to be able to win the 35-31 games @Not Sure talked about in his post this year? Nobody on here thinks that's realistic. Can this team do enough offensively to try and win 17-14 type football games? Maybe. Start there.
The whole scheme on offense is putrid. This is KD's offense. It's like firing Bienemy in 2012 and Embree inserting himself as OC. Rearranging deck chairs and all that.

I’m genuinely worried about Lewis. Yes, he’s been bad but he’s also been thrown to the wolves. The OL play (and coaching) has been a disaster. We have a frosh QB and we’re not simplifying things for him. If nothing else, something has to be done just to make sure we don’t break the kid.

Let’s put it this way - when your coaching staff is so in over their heads, and the talent level elsewhere is so awful, that your best option to give your offense some spark is benching the highest potential QB recruit you’ve had in over a decade to put in a true frosh who many people feel has more of a future in hoops than football, you’ve ****ed up royally.

The whole scheme on offense is putrid. This is KD's offense. It's like firing Bienemy in 2012 and Embree inserting himself as OC. Rearranging deck chairs and all that.

This is a two sided deal-One, either Dorrell or Langsdorf has to take over play calling immediately. Two, there's no way we can have this conversation without talking about Lewis being a part of it-One pick in three games tells me he's so nervous about making even a small mistake he's paralyzed. Sit him down and play Carter. He's lost right now-and that's not all on the coaches "overcoaching" him.

This is a two sided deal-One, either Dorrell or Langsdorf has to take over play calling immediately. Two, there's no way we can have this conversation without talking about Lewis being a part of it-One pick in three games tells me he's so nervous about making even a small mistake he's paralyzed. Sit him down and play Carter. He's lost right now-and that's not all on the coaches "overcoaching" him.
Some decent thought here, but something does come to mind now for me…
Someone said this does not look like Chiv’s offense the last time he was calling plays, and that is very true, so the question is WHY?
Has KD forced Chiv to change to a West Coast run offense similar to what Klatt used to run back in the day, and forced Chiv to abandon the Texas Tech concepts? Where are the fly sweeps, where are the one look reads, where is the screen game?
This offense looks like a bad mix of Chiv, Langsdorf, and Dorrells vision of offense, but actually it looks like the biggest pile of vanilla dog**** ever brought out, and Lewis and the other offensive players are confused and frustrated!
Lewis can flat out run with the best of them
We Have/Had a running game, now we have nothing

The entire offensive staff needs to go, including the TE coach. Does anyone know his name without looking it up because I sure can’t.

I’m genuinely worried about Lewis. Yes, he’s been bad but he’s also been thrown to the wolves. The OL play (and coaching) has been a disaster. We have a frosh QB and we’re not simplifying things for him. If nothing else, something has to be done just to make sure we don’t break the kid.

Let’s put it this way - when your coaching staff is so in over their heads, and the talent level elsewhere is so awful, that your best option to give your offense some spark is benching the highest potential QB recruit you’ve had in over a decade to put in a true frosh who many people feel has more of a future in hoops than football, you’ve ****ed up royally.
He is broken beyond repair, IMO. The coaches broke him somehow because he is scared to death to make any mistake so he makes no decisions.

However, are you saying that they made a mistake putting in the backup QB when they did? Like, the light bulb was going to turn on all of a sudden in the fourth quarter?

I think we're all in agreement on this board about what we need to do with lewis, without providing much beef. Let's give the boys some help, I'll start. LISTEN UP CHEV!!!

1. After a 5-9 yard first down run, grow a pair, go play action deep. An incomplete still serves a purpose, it gives the secondary something to think about besides <10 yard route.
2. In fact, go deep again...preferably to Rice, he's a stud.
3. Simplifying the offense means more than slants and curl routes. I want to see you cut the field in half with one flood concept next game.
4. Add one of each: wheel route, pivot route, mesh route, and texas concept.
5. Throwback to Russell. Trust me dude, you're so predicable no one will see this coming.
6. Two words- Clayton Wildcat
7. Flea flicker? Double pass? Philly special? It literally cannot get worse than 68 yards of offense.

That's all I have for now

I think we're all in agreement on this board about what we need to do with lewis, without providing much beef. Let's give the boys some help, I'll start. LISTEN UP CHEV!!!

1. After a 5-9 yard first down run, grow a pair, go play action deep. An incomplete still serves a purpose, it gives the secondary something to think about besides <10 yard route.
2. In fact, go deep again...preferably to Rice, he's a stud.
3. Simplifying the offense means more than slants and curl routes. I want to see you cut the field in half with one flood concept next game.
4. Add one of each: wheel route, pivot route, mesh route, and texas concept.
5. Throwback to Russell. Trust me dude, you're so predicable no one will see this coming.
6. Two words- Clayton Wildcat
7. Flea flicker? Double pass? Philly special? It literally cannot get worse than 68 yards of offense.

That's all I have for now

Dear lord I hope this is sarcasm-just going to respond to a couple of things here. One, there is no way in hell I'm not stacking the box on this offense until they show they can complete passes-so good luck with #1. Two, Clayton wildcat? GTFO. There's a reason he's been 3rd on the depth chart the entire time he's been here.

However, are you saying that they made a mistake putting in the backup QB when they did? Like, the light bulb was going to turn on all of a sudden in the fourth quarter?

Nope. I was fine with it, just felt it was rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. The thing that bothered me was that that was literally the only option we had for providing a spark because of gross negligence in every other aspect of the offense. And I genuinely feel for the kid because while he has been awful he’s getting a lot of hate that should be directed elsewhere - largely because of the nature of his position.

Have to believe that Clayton and Rice are probably halfway out the door. I have no evidence of this but both are eyeing the NFL and if in their shoes would you stay?
NFL?? Transfer portal sure but NFL? Not sure I see that working out

Nope. I was fine with it, just felt it was rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. The thing that bothered me was that that was literally the only option we had for providing a spark because of gross negligence in every other aspect of the offense. And I genuinely feel for the kid because while he has been awful he’s getting a lot of hate that should be directed elsewhere - largely because of the nature of his position.
To be honest I'd be scared to death as well if I had to line up behind this offensive line..

How many offensive linemen do we have who would start for at least 6 teams in the PAC12? Even be on the two deep for 6 teams in the PAC12?

But not to fear, we will magically solve all our problems with the transfer portal. No need to recruit quality HS players.

Just changing a couple coaches isn't going to fix what is wrong. They deserve to be fired but the problems are much bigger than a couple of assistants

Back