What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dear Mr. Rick George - Student Section Problems and Solutions

just serve beer in the concourse already. Then I can splash beer on my neighbors while cursing at fortune or talton.

I completely agree. I also know it won't happen. The AD and the school Admin have become so paranoid about CU's party reputation that they are doing everything in their power to move away from it. Like refusing to use the term "BlackOut"

What % of students are 21 and over? I think by the time they're 21, you've already lost them.
I would say it's roughly half the students (most turn 21 during their Junior year) and I disagree about losing them. Alcohol gives college students of all ages incentive to do just about anything. A Saturday night option of drinking at their houses and then going out to Pearl (or a party, or Half Fast, etc) or going to a "dry" basketball game really isn't a tough decision for casual basketball fans. You offer alcohol in the main area and all of the sudden those that would normally forego the game, might choose to do their pregaming at CEC instead.

I would say it's roughly half the students (most turn 21 during their Junior year) and I disagree about losing them. Alcohol gives college students of all ages incentive to do just about anything. A Saturday night option of drinking at their houses and then going out to Pearl (or a party, or Half Fast, etc) or going to a "dry" basketball game really isn't a tough decision for casual basketball fans. You offer alcohol in the main area and all of the sudden those that would normally forego the game, might choose to do their pregaming at CEC instead.

Students seems so suck at pregaming and/or sneaking booze into games. It's not that hard.

Free. Beer.

latest

I don't know the numbers if student ticket sales were down, but I honestly think the football team has had a direct impact on basketball a little bit. After the down year in basketball last year and a bleek outlook for football, students didn't want to pay for the season tickets. Before, people bought the football tickets so they could go to the basketball games. This year the hype was gone. I think an easy solution would to unbundle the two and allow you to buy them separately. It seems to be forgotten that it isn't free to go to games like it is at a CSU and it shouldn't be free, but when it is implied that people will come to pregame for a Saturday night or just hang out with friends you have to keep in mind not everyone has tickets.

I don't know the numbers if student ticket sales were down, but I honestly think the football team has had a direct impact on basketball a little bit. After the down year in basketball last year and a bleek outlook for football, students didn't want to pay for the season tickets. Before, people bought the football tickets so they could go to the basketball games. This year the hype was gone. I think an easy solution would to unbundle the two and allow you to buy them separately. It seems to be forgotten that it isn't free to go to games like it is at a CSU and it shouldn't be free, but when it is implied that people will come to pregame for a Saturday night or just hang out with friends you have to keep in mind not everyone has tickets.
My counterpoint to that is that more people went to football games this year than the last two seasons.

My counterpoint to that is that more people went to football games this year than the last two seasons.
That's the problem. You can separate it for football but not for basketball. I know plenty of people who only bought football. And I don't think that many more people went to football games that bought tickets. The secondary market was so cheap and the team was actually more competitive.

You are what you emphasize, we are not emphasizing game day energy in Coors or bringing students into the game.

That's the problem. You can separate it for football but not for basketball. I know plenty of people who only bought football. And I don't think that many more people went to football games that bought tickets. The secondary market was so cheap and the team was actually more competitive.
Only talking students here. We did better on average than last year and the year before that.

Only talking students here. We did better on average than last year and the year before that.
I am talking about students. I can name many people who went to every football game and didn't pay for student tickets. Hell. I have the student tickets and I didn't use my student card once. I just used player tickets and that way I can move when all the student coaches behind me started being annoying. Can I have my jersey still??? Attended every home game and two away games!

I am talking about students. I can name many people who went to every football game and didn't pay for student tickets. Hell. I have the student tickets and I didn't use my student card once. I just used player tickets and that way I can move when all the student coaches behind me started being annoying. Can I have my jersey still??? Attended every home game and two away games!
CU still sold at least 8,000 student season tickets. At least half of those if not more probably included basketball. Getting 2,000 people to basketball games shouldn't be this difficult.

CU still sold at least 8,000 student season tickets. At least half of those if not more probably included basketball. Getting 2,000 people to basketball games shouldn't be this difficult.
I feel ya man. I'm right there with you. I've only missed one game and that was because I was in Canada. I love this stuff and it isn't as fun without a bunch of students there. I think it would be more interesting if the AD went out and talked to students who didn't want to go to the games and why that is. We all live and breath it. Most people do not. I was at a pregame before the Oregon football game on the hill. RG actually went into the party took a shot with us and gave us ten free student tickets. My friends haven't missed a game since because of that. RG has done some good with trying to get students there.

I feel ya man. I'm right there with you. I've only missed one game and that was because I was in Canada. I love this stuff and it isn't as fun without a bunch of students there. I think it would be more interesting if the AD went out and talked to students who didn't want to go to the games and why that is. We all live and breath it. Most people do not. I was at a pregame before the Oregon football game on the hill. RG actually went into the party took a shot with us and gave us ten free student tickets. My friends haven't missed a game since because of that. RG has done some good with trying to get students there.

I think RG "gets" football. I don't think its the same with BBall. He needs some help.

He is probably just trying to get rid of some of the entitlement the students have after the "free ****" era.

By doing that he will be getting rid of most of the students. So if he and others are ok with the student turn out at the games then I guess keep on doing what he is doing...

I think RG "gets" football. I don't think its the same with BBall. He needs some help.
fair enough. He hasn't done that for a basketball game so I can agree with that. Im just trying to find reasons why people aren't showing up and I have a hard time finding them.

fair enough. He hasn't done that for a basketball game so I can agree with that. Im just trying to find reasons why people aren't showing up and I have a hard time finding them.
I think it's pretty obvious. It's that the team isn't ranked, isn't on sportscenter or espn.com, and hasn't won a marquee game in two years. Last year was a disappointment to say the least and that game against Pitt - yikes.

Guess what, when I was a student in the late 90s and early 00s, there was beer on the concourses that could be brought down to your seats, free t-shirts, and better student seats but the games were poorly attended by students.

Last edited:
By doing that he will be getting rid of most of the students. So if he and others are ok with the student turn out at the games then I guess keep on doing what he is doing...

I'm sure he's not okay with it but I'm sure hes not okay with students demanding free stuff to show up at basketball games either. They have lost one game at home this entire season which is crazy to think that they don't deserve the support of the students, especially when there have been cheap tickets out there for almost every home game.

I think Game Day hosted at CU left a nasty, nasty taste.

Students showed up at the crack of dawn to hold the banner.

For all that spirit, they were rewarded with some of the worst basketball imaginable. Then Askia quits being a buffalo for the crappy tournament that CU lost.

None of the wins in 2015-16 have offset last year's combo of Ski being selfish and the fans getting less than bupkiss from the ESPN Game Day massacre.

If Tad can get this team to the NCAA sweet sixteen, those who have been along for the ride will be ecstatic. And those who stayed away can look back in hindsight as missing some good basketball.

Honestly the CUnit of two years ago fed on beating ranked teams. When CU knocks off a blue blood, then it's time to shame students into coming.

Until then, it's on Tad to get the nasty Skia/ESPN gameday taste out of the casual fan's mouth.

Put the students on the floor. Michigan, Ohio state, Pitt, Duke, Washington, Oregon, Oklahoma state, Florida, etc

Put the students on the floor. Michigan, Ohio state, Pitt, Duke, Washington, Oregon, Oklahoma state, Florida, etc
Would take major renovations to the CEC. Its not as easy as just putting them there. It involves re-sloping the entire bowl.

Do some fun stuff with the students.

T-Shirts have already been addressed along with the money drawing.

Do so fun/goofy contest, it's amazing what people will do in front of thousands for a free pizza or a hat. Randomly select a student and let them shoot a 3 pointer before the game for a prize, do a costume contest with winner selected by crowd noise.

CU is good at rocket science but can't figure out how to make a BB game fun enough to get the students out in numbers!!!

They forget that these aren't just students filling a seat, these are potential future ticket buyers and donors.

Back