What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Debunking the "Youth Excuse"

hey dbt, let me ask you this, how did you like cody getting his bell rung on an inconsequential play. when quite possibly someone else could have been getting a few reps. what happened to the idea of protecting a player coupled with getting a backup qb some reps. can you explain that one. and i don't care if hansen redshirts or not, if he is all the more reason to have one of those walk ons take some snaps. that was unbelievable to me

Saying the issue is just talent and just putting the most talented players on the field, despite all of these other factors, will solve the problem is an over-simplification that only makes some feel better.

Nobody said it would solve the problem. But you're not winning games playing the less talented kids. What could it possibly hurt to see what the more talented ones can do?

Nobody said it would solve the problem. But by playing the less talented kids we're getting our asses handed to us by bottom-feeding MAC and MWC teams. What could it possibly hurt to see what the more talented ones can do?

Fixed.

Do you think Hansen is more talented than Cody?

I have no idea. I haven't seen them practice and in what game experience Hansen has, he was still very raw. Is he quicker than Cody, yes, that much we know. But I can't say if he's more accurate, or if he makes better decisions. When he did play last year, he ran, and had one or two basic pass plays (if any at all). Not enough to really gauge his ability.

Our QB position has been neglected for a decade, this isn't just a Hawkins thing, unfortunately.

If they're as close as reports indicate, it's worth seeing him in game situations.

Personally, I'd like to see both of them play a full game with the 1s, running a basic solid offense with Scott, Simas, Simmons and McKnight in the slot and none of these ludicrous groupings.

Simplify if the team is that inexperienced. Run a basic I offense, something they've all been doing since pop-warner. Run the ball, let the o-line pin it's ears back and block straight up. Let Simas and Simmons use their size on quick slants to overcome the rush. Use Scott, let him pound it, run some basic screens. You can't run a slant with a 5'8 QB and a receiver that's even shorter.

At this point Juicebox is fighting for his job. He doesn't have 3 years for these guys to perfect the offense. Start VERY simple, let them get used to the speed of the game. Add more throughout the season. Get the physical talent on the field in positions where they're not thinking, but playing.

Yep. If Juicebox was winning, I wouldn't care who he was playing. But this 'sit the talent over the hard workers' bull**** is getting them handled against inferior opponents. Unless he changes what he is doing, I'm afraid for what UT, OSU and Mizzou are going to do to the Buffs.

Do you think Hansen is more talented than Cody? You have to have talent on the team but there are many other factors that go into it such as experience, maturity, playing individual positions, playing together as a team and the mental aspects which are even more difficult to gauge, to name a few.

Saying the issue is just talent and just putting the most talented players on the field, despite all of these other factors, will solve the problem is an over-simplification that only makes some feel better.

The fact here is that none of us are at practice everyday to see what is going on, we're just making judgements from the distance.

I don't think it would fix things by any means. Would it help? Sure.

Receiver is one position where you could see instant improvement. They need to know what route to run and that's about it.

LB too, get some quicker guys in there on obvious passing downs.

The O-Line, for instance, is a different beast. Those guys need to be playing together, as a unit.

You saw what happened when they actually let Scott run for a half.

Not having your best players on the field is a major issue, but there are much bigger, deeper issues with this coaching staff.

Yep. If Juicebox was winning, I wouldn't care who he was playing. But this 'sit the talent over the hard workers' bull**** is getting them handled against inferior opponents. Unless he changes what he is doing, I'm afraid for what UT, OSU and Mizzou are going to do to the Buffs.

All of those teams have the potential to hang 60 on us. Yikes. I shudder to think what is going to happen against UT in a few weeks if we do not get better quickly.

Every game will tell us more and more the character of this team and its coaches. Whether its all talk or is this team really ready to bust open. Can DH coach or just talk. It's all on his shoulders now.

Ultimately, I want what's best for the players. They chose to jump onboard and become Buffs and continue the Buffaloe legacy, I hope they the get the best possible coaching they deserve; whether that's the current staff or the next staff. Either way, I hope the best decision is made soon to get this program on the right track and allow this kids the best venue to succeed as Buffs!

I'll be rooting for the Buffs tomorrow, I hope they win big, but I honestly dont expect much from this staff.

Oooooooooohhhhhh. What's the matter, those hard facts get you all riled up because the excuses are running out?

96 didn't trash any player, he just said our talented ones ride the pine. He's not the only one who sees this, listen to the commentators and you'll get the same feedback.

what hard facts? oh, you mean those soft cherry-picked stats

Nobody said it would solve the problem. But you're not winning games playing the less talented kids. What could it possibly hurt to see what the more talented ones can do?
Did you ever think that maybe there is a reason those perceived to have more talent aren't in there more?

Back