What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Derrick White (h/t Ryan Koeningsberg)

shot 40.3% from 3pt range for us

38.5% to be exact. Better numbers across the board than he had the previous year he played at Providence, and doing it in 10mins less per game (not taking into account possessions per game, or pace, etcetera).

Last edited:
38.5% to be exact. Better numbers across the board than he had the previous year he played at Providence, and doing it in 10mins less per game.

And no, I don't care about possessions per game, or pace. A game's a game.

where are you getting that stat? Everywhere I look shows him shooting .403 = 40.3%

He 3 season average is now 38.6%, but all we really care about at this point is what he did for us.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/josh-fortune-1.html

That's overall shooting percentage. 38.5 is for three point percentage. Read the quote I highlighted previously.

@Birch1 is correct. Not a big deal, guys. Wish that 2pt% was higher, though, because 38.5% from 3pt should contribute to an overall shooting percentage more in the 43% range. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/josh-fortune-1.html

CU really did struggle getting transition and other opportunities to get easy shots/ layups for the guards and wings this year. Pretty much no one on the team shot well from 2pt. It's why in the hoops forum thread I started I emphasized strength and ball handling for this offseason.

@Birch1 is correct. Not a big deal, guys. Wish that 2pt% was higher, though, because 38.5% from 3pt should contribute to an overall shooting percentage more in the 43% range. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/josh-fortune-1.html

CU really did struggle getting transition and other opportunities to get easy shots/ layups for the guards and wings this year. Pretty much no one on the team shot well from 2pt. It's why in the hoops forum thread I started I emphasized strength and ball handling for this offseason.
Related to the 2pt% does anyway think this may be related to almost always playing 2 bigs who both don't get much more than 15 ft from the hoop? Because of this there is always at least 1 possibly 2 defenders in the paint ready to help leading to contested layups and a large number of blocked shots

Related to the 2pt% does anyway think this may be related to almost always playing 2 bigs who both don't get much more than 15 ft from the hoop? Because of this there is always at least 1 possibly 2 defenders in the paint ready to help leading to contested layups and a large number of blocked shots

Court spacing definitely plays a role in this. Based on personnel, CU should be spreading things out more next season. But, that said, teams will still be able to play zone and cause the same problems we saw if players don't develop their games off the bounce and finishing through contact.

Court spacing definitely plays a role in this. Based on personnel, CU should be spreading things out more next season. But, that said, teams will still be able to play zone and cause the same problems we saw if players don't develop their games off the bounce and finishing through contact.
Agreed. Wasn't try to saying this was the only reason for this. Just probably compounded the issues you mentioned. I would hope next year since we don't have someone that can dominate in the post like Scott (Wes are Tory I think will be good, but they are not Scott) hopefully they play some more with 4 wings or even 5. That does rely on our guards and wings being able to create off the dribble and finish though.

All good observations. One thing we should probably keep in check however, is our expectations for White. Not going bonkers for anything below first-team all PAC numbers.

At least for the first few games anyway.

PS anyone remember the candy "Bonkers?"

Well, not saying Fortune is a bad player at all. In fact I think our coaches underused him.

I'm just saying people said "we are going to love JF" last year. And people were raving about him in practice too. He certainly didn't meet that kind of expectation.

What did Wes Gordon shoot from the field? The guy is talented, can block anyone's shot, but he can't get a shot off that's not massively contested.....

Well, not saying Fortune is a bad player at all. In fact I think our coaches underused him.

I'm just saying people said "we are going to love JF" last year. And people were raving about him in practice too. He certainly didn't meet that kind of expectation.

I agree with this. We hyped him a little too much. Yet he still had a darn good year, and I can't really imagine what our team would have been like without him. Which is why I think we shouldn't get too carried away with White (although it's real hard not to). Hopefully we can get carried away with him after a few games.

What did Wes Gordon shoot from the field? The guy is talented, can block anyone's shot, but he can't get a shot off that's not massively contested.....

Here's the really bizarre thing with Wes: 40% shooting from 3pt range... up from 28.6% last season. 69% shooting from the FT line... up from .667 last season. It's clear that he worked on his shooting and improved it coming into this year. But... he only shot 41.8% on 2pt shots after shooting 55% from 2pt range last season. He should be over 50% from the field. I've never seen a slump like he was in on bunnies all season.

I was definitely never nearly as high on Fortune as I am on White. The reason people were high on 44 is because he brought something that, at the time, we didn't think the team had — scoring from the perimeter. Nobody knew GK was going to pick up so much of the scoring slack.

White, on the other hand, does it all. Inside, outside, mid-range, good on defense, good handle, good passer. Dude is going to turn heads.

By the way people are talking... 16-7-4

White apparently does it all and at a high level.

There's only been 22 players to pull off a 16-7-4 or better season average in the last 21 seasons. Some fun names though: Ben Simmons, Denzel Valentine, Deandre Bembry, Evan Turner, ANTONIO GATES, & Bonzi Wells.

12-3-3 would be amazing. There's only been 8 Buffs to pull off that stat line or better since '94-'95: Askia, Spencer, Marcus Hall, Michael Morandais, Jaquay Walls, Mack Tuck, Chauncey Billups, & Donnie Boyce

Last edited:
There's only been 22 players to pull off a 16-7-4 or better season average in the last 21 seasons. Some fun names though: Ben Simmons, Denzel Valentine, Deandre Bembry, Evan Turner, ANTONIO GATES, & Bonzi Wells.

12-3-3 would be amazing. There's only been 8 Buffs to pull off that stat line or better since '94-'95: Askia, Spencer, Marcus Hall, Michael Morandais, Jaquay Walls, Mack Tuck, Chauncey Billups, & Donnie Boyce

So 27-8-6 are unreasonable expectations? POY watch starts now! (y)

I shouldn't be trying to build the hype train, which has clearly already left the station. But here is a list of former DII basketball players that we may someday include Derrick White among: Earl Monroe, Jerry Sloan, Walt Frazier, Nate Archibald, Willis Reed, Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, Flip Murray, Devean George, Ben Wallace.

I was definitely never nearly as high on Fortune as I am on White. The reason people were high on 44 is because he brought something that, at the time, we didn't think the team had — scoring from the perimeter. Nobody knew GK was going to pick up so much of the scoring slack.

White, on the other hand, does it all. Inside, outside, mid-range, good on defense, good handle, good passer. Dude is going to turn heads.

RK, I have no doubt that White would be good player for us. It's just nowadays when it comes to CU sports I'm always in the mode of "wait until he plays", I guess that's a bad tendency from football offseason report :LOL::LOL:

RK, I have no doubt that White would be good player for us. It's just nowadays when it comes to CU sports I'm always in the mode of "wait until he plays", I guess that's a bad tendency from football offseason report :LOL::LOL:

That's a good mode to be in. We really never know until we see it on gameday. I have a little more faith in Derrick being a gamer because he proved to be the quite the gamer at UCCS. Obviously this is a much higher level but you don't expect him to just all the sudden become a guy who disappears under the lights.

As for averages, he averaged 26-7-5 at UCCS. Cut that in half and you basically get the 12-4-3 mentioned above, but I think his scoring is going to be higher than that.

Probably too influenced by football.

With basketball, there's a solid track record on these practice reports. Maybe because it's easier to see when you attend a series of basketball practices.

First we had the reports of Carlon Brown that said he would provide a soft landing from losing Alec & Cory.

Then we had the reports on Josh Scott before his freshman year saying that he was going to tear it up in the post.

Then we had the reports that Dustin Thomas was pretty much unguardable. (The one false one I can remember.)

Then we had the reports that Josh Fortune would solve our low 3pt% issue from the 2 and is a better athlete than we thought we were getting.

Then we had the reports that George King was going to go manimal after his redshirt season.

Now we have the reports that Derrick White is a multi-tool player on offense we are going to love.

I tend to believe the offseason/preseason basketball reports and I'd say that it is justified to do so.

Then we had the reports that Dustin Thomas was pretty much unguardable.

Yeah, what was that about?! Poor Dustin. I liked his heart too, and thought he was not positioned well by the coaching staff here. Just never quite fit in.

Yeah, what was that about?! Poor Dustin. I liked his heart too, and thought he was not positioned well by the coaching staff here. Just never quite fit in.
No, his little escapade in Arky showed he was in it for...........Dustin. He had his mind made up as to what he was, ain't nobody was gonna change it.
In strong contrast, see: King, George. Heart's gotta follow the head. Listening, Dom?

No, his little escapade in Arky showed he was in it for...........Dustin. He had his mind made up as to what he was, ain't nobody was gonna change it.
In strong contrast, see: King, George. Heart's gotta follow the head. Listening, Dom?

Whoa. Wow. What?

Without getting into that incident and Dustin's involvement, I'll tell you that Tad Boyle would disagree with your statement wholeheartedly.

Back