What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do we fire Mac?

With Chip at UCLA and the fact that USC is USC, the odds of us winning another South title with MM rag tag bunch of 2-3 stars has shrunk. We are going to be contending for 6-6 each year.

Not worth the buyout. Let me coach a couple more years. Unless Les Miles is interested, but I don’t see that happening.

DJ Eliot was the bad hire. He was terrible at Kentucky and is terrible here.

So maybe we dont fire MM because it apparently cost $12m (scroll up to Duff's post). Do we shake up the staff? Clean it out completely?

I see a lot of defenders trying to arm tackle and not wrapping up their target.

Assume he's back for 2018. Does the same 5-6 performance then warrant termination?

that's not how it will work. first, i think we have more than a decent chance at a bowl next year if he is back. the weedwhacker bowl or something...

second, his narrative will be that he took CU to bowl games in 2 of the last 3 years, including a title game, despite "all the obstacles" here.

he will be looking for his exit after next year. i don't want lame duck coaches. be here or don't.

Another year of **** recruiting isn't doing the program any favors after all the investment. A good CEO wouldn't keep him.

I think they keep him. I am watching from home next year, no need to drive to Boulder and watch this.

The only way is if they were to work out some kind of agreement with Les Miles to basically coach for bare minimum to offset some of the buyout in the first few seasons and work more $$ into his contract down the road.
I was thinking the same sort of thing, except not with Miles, with some stud offensive/defensive coordinator in a power 5 conference. Pony up and give him a big contract and tell him he's the head coach, not head coach in waiting, the head coach. Make sure that everyone knows MacIntyre is now just the figurehead, due to not wanting to pay his buyout. Either cause MacIntyre to resign in embarrassment or keep him on so that the money we owe him is spread out over a multi-year period rather than paid out in a lump sum which would hurt the current budget

I think we need a thread on locker room problems. If you know coaches or players on the team then you are probably already getting told directly or getting a sense.

Unless somehow Ole Miss is ACTUALLY dumb enough to take him away. We're stuck with Mac for 1.5 years more years.

Very Hawkins esk situation.

The only way is if they were to work out some kind of agreement with Les Miles to basically coach for bare minimum to offset some of the buyout in the first few seasons and work more $$ into his contract down the road.

With the firing of Mike Riley at Nebraska, it is very possible that Les Miles would consider coming back to coaching and would bring his son with him from Nebraska, where he is a freshman redshirt FB. The idea of letting LSU pay his salary for two years while we pay off Mac is not the worst idea at all, and although I think Miles has problems, he could elevate us to at least another more successful level.

LES MILES BUYOUT

There seems to be a lot of misconception about Les’ buyout from LSU, so I’ll attempt to clarify how it works.
Les’ contract runs through December 2019 (3 years, 3 months from now). By contract, if he is terminated, his buyout is paid out monthly over a period of time double the remaining term…thus, he’ll be paid out over 6 years, 6 months.
His stated buyout is $12.9 million; but by contract you reduce from that any amounts paid to him in this calendar year.
Les makes $4.3 million per year plus bonuses. Depending on what has already been paid in calendar 2016, that is what sets his buyout.
For illustrative purposes, let’s assume 9/12s have been paid, thus approximately $3.2 million.
So, his stated buyout was $12.9 million, less the $3.2 paid in 2016. Hence, Les will be paid approximately $9.7 million over the next 6 years, 6 months.
Assuming Les does not accept further work, he would receive approximately $125,000 / month for the next 6 years, 6 months.
To the extent he accepts any other job, the amount LSU owes would be reduced dollar for dollar.

I guess CU needs to decide what they want to be. If they are ok with finishing 5th or 6th with an occasional 3rd or 4th in PAC 12 South, attending the Potatoe bowl every 4 or 5 years and recruiting classes south of 50-60 every year then keep him. If they want to be a real football program they need to significantly upgrade.

CU regents may hate paying out 12 million buyout to a bad coach, but how bad will they feel trying to pay 150$ million in new facility bonds with the athletic program bleeding $$ due to a awful football program.

That extension for HCMM will haunt this program and university if the board is not willing to buy it out. In the mean time, the university, athletic program and the fan base needs to decide what we are and what we really want to be. IMHO.

With the firing of Mike Riley at Nebraska, it is very possible that Les Miles would consider coming back to coaching and would bring his son with him from Nebraska, where he is a freshman redshirt FB. The idea of letting LSU pay his salary for two years while we pay off Mac is not the worst idea at all, and although I think Miles has problems, he could elevate us to at least another more successful level.

Yeah, he might be able to get it done... How many 6+ win seasons do you see?

4–7​
2–6​
5th (South)​
8–5​
5–3​
T–3rd (South)​
W Houston
9–4​
5–3​
3rd (South)​
L Cotton
7–5​
4–4​
5th (South)​
L Alamo
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LSU
11–2​
7–1​
1st (Western)​
W Peach
5​
6​
LSU
11–2​
6–2​
T–2nd (Western)​
W Sugar†​
3​
3​
LSU
12–2​
6–2​
1st (Western)​
W BCS NCG†​
1​
1​
LSU
8–5​
3–5​
3rd (Western)​
LSU
9–4​
5–3​
2nd (Western)​
17​
17​
LSU
11–2​
6–2​
T–2nd (Western)​
W Cotton
8​
8​
LSU
13–1​
8–0​
1st (Western)​
L BCS NCG†​
2​
2​
LSU
10–3​
6–2​
T–2nd (Western)​
12​
13​
LSU
10–3​
5–3​
3rd (Western)​
W Outback
14​
14​
LSU
8–5​
4–4​
T–4th (Western)​
LSU
9–3​
5–3​
T–3rd (Western)​
W Texas
17​
16​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I don't want Miles, I think he has lost his coaching fire. Those last few seasons at LSU didn't inspire any confidence in me, I think he would be another Fairbanks. A good coach that just doesn't care anymore, leading to disaster

Good job running Montez right into the middle of the line on 3rd and short.... that is always the specialty of any quarterback

If CU fired Mac, CU wouldn't have to pay him a lump sum. CU would simply have to go on paying his current contract.

Unless they negotiated a compromise.

He could, and would, probably get hired at a G5, and whatever they paid him would be deducted from what CU owed him. I don't think he would negotiate a **** you contract with the new school like Pelini did when he got fired (100k a year until the NU money ran out).

So it might not actually be that terrible of a budget hit.

Especially if Les was willing to sign an FU contract until his LSU money runs out.

If someone is willing to buyout his contract and also buy out Seth Littrell’s, then sure.

Hard pass on Les Miles.

I don't want Miles, I think he has lost his coaching fire. Those last few seasons at LSU didn't inspire any confidence in me, I think he would be another Fairbanks. A good coach that just doesn't care anymore, leading to disaster

Lol so 9 and 10 win seasons aren't good enough for you? You sound like a Nebraska fan.

Back