What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do we fire Mac?

If you’re here and you truly love this school and football you guys should say something.

Rick.George@Colorado.edu

For years I’ve seen fans complain. It takes fan dedication, fan expectation, sellouts and lots of donations to get to the top. If we’re just complaining to complain we won’t solve anything. We need to let George know we expect more and that we’re committed to donating to that cause.

He did that so that all the players that follow him would see it. So is 5-7 really the result of a bunch of unmotivated bad apples?
I believe that there were several factors at play in this, but a lot of it stems from what's a near obsession with veteran upperclassmen getting to start and play almost all the snaps.

- Those vets get way too comfortable in their roles
- Those vets don't become as invested in the young players
- The young players don't feel like they are getting an opportunity
- They young players start wondering why they burned a redshirt year
- Etc.

Teams thrive on internal competition. CU allowed its culture in 2017 to become one where that was lost. Were Fields, Ross and Bobo ever at risk to lose their starting jobs or even a lot of snaps to Winfree, Shenault and Nixon? Did Gamboa have to worry about Landman breathing down his neck? Was McCartney ever in a position of needing to perform or see Callier & Sparaco take his minutes? Did any vet on the OL lose a minute of sleep in concern that the redshirt might be pulled off Grant Polley or Will Sherman to insert them into a starting role? Was Frazier fighting off Poplawski to keep his minutes? Did Bisharat and Lindsay's other backups ever feel a threat that Fontenot would be inserted this season? Did Laguda or Moeller ever worry that he might lose snaps to one of the younger guys - even a guy like Miller getting run at CB with Wigley moving over to Safety or Buff?

Now, I'm not saying that all of the vets I mentioned got too comfortable and let it impact their play or their leadership. It would be really unfair to some of them if people got that impression. And I'm not saying that all those young guys were ready for an expanded role or would have earned one if given more of an opportunity.

What I am saying is that there's a problem with seniority determining so much of a person's role on the team. Talent, execution and intensity are all part of the equation of winning football. You'll get better execution from veterans. But you have to give opportunities to the less veteran talent so that they can become better at the execution. And that competition raises the intensity of everyone. I'm seeing a real problem in this area of how the team is managed.

Last edited:
RG will find the $ and fire MM and Eliot asap. Bottom line, he did not spend over 100M on facilities to allow a coach to be outcoached, recruit below expectations and field a team that is unprepared.
I'm positive he already has a wishlist of candidates.
Of all the names I heard thrown around, I wonder if we will see Gary Barnett in any capacity moving forward...

I wouldn’t mind seeing Barnett in the sidelines again. He was always solid.

In all honesty, I would give Mac another season, but Eliot needs to go. After typing that, though, it wasn’t just Eliot. It making changes at the half, even Mac didn’t.

I’m so confused

Were Fields, Ross and Bobo ever at risk to lose their starting jobs or even a lot of snaps to Winfree, Shenault and Nixon? Did Gamboa have to worry about Landman breathing down his neck? Was McCartney every in a position of needing to perform or see Callier & Sparaco take his minutes? Did any vet on the OL lose a minute of sleep in concern that the redshirt might be pulled off Grant Polley or Will Sherman to insert them into a starting role? Was Frazier fighting off Poplawski to keep his minutes? Did Bisharat and Lindsay's other backups ever feel a threat that Fontenot would be inserted this season? Did Laguda or Moeller ever worry that he might lose snaps to one of the younger guys - even a guy like Miller getting run at CB with Wigley moving over to Safety or Buff?
The answer to those questions is No, IMO. JMac will be a Sr. next year, so get ready to see a lot of him.

I hope we see quite a bit of JMac. He is effective.
I am not saying he isn't, but for my money, Shenault, Winfree and Nixon should see the field long before JMac. Ento and Huntley look like better players too, but have not shown what JMac has.

I am not saying he isn't, but for my money, Shenault, Winfree and Nixon should see the field long before JMac. Ento and Huntley look like better players too, but have not shown what JMac has.

Would you put players in the game instead of your bosses son?

You can play a lot of those guys at the same time...

Very questionable personnel decisions, uninterested/unmotivated players (on the coaches or the players, both), poor senior leadership, entitlement syndrome, lack of talent, and bad coaching.

Top to bottom this season was a waste.

Went to bed drunk and woke up to bloody's. Going to be nice and lubed up for the Bronco debacle or win. Whatever.

See ya next year.GO BUFFS.

Here is a theory...perhaps RG told HCMM earlier in the season that significant staff changes would be required from HCMM after the season. So, HCMM has been in sulk mode ever since.

The coaches have to be able to adapt. if the opposite starting QB goes out (AU and UU) then you have to look like you have a vague clue about who the backup is and what their skills are. MM has won 3+ conf games 1 time in 5 years. That's unacceptable and a very low bar to hurdle tbpfh.

We dont let just anyone in anymore. We dont hold special classes in the AD building for football players like the SEC does. We cant control Boulder PD (Baylor) or even CUPD for that matter.

These are all really good things, and remind me of Tad's comments surrounding the recruiting investigations. Enough programs play dirty, that it's hard to be consistently great if you're playing clean.

If CU takes the high road and that means sacrificing the potential to be a perennial national power, so be it. I'm fine with pushing abusers like Tumpkin out the door, I don't want guys like Leavitt in charge of the program until they've got a very long track record that shows they won't be abusing their own players again. If MM can't see that he needed to be reprimanded for how the Tumpkin situation was handled, then hopefully he sees a way to find the door.

To answer the original post — NO. We do not fire HCMM. He has raised the expectation bar and pulled us out of the mire from the previous two coaches. Now, it is HCMM’s job to live up to the new expectations he has created for himself. This is in line with ADRG’s vision board/goals for the football program that he released earlier this year.

However, HCMM has one more year to prove that he can get it done. ADRG should get to fund raising for a buyout if HCMM doesn’t live up to certain criteria: 7+ wins, gains in recruiting, scrubbing dead weight off of coaching staff, improving S&C, etc.

As it stands, we are distinct from other P5 programs in that our university/state is not all in on college football. We don’t have a vast array of gazillionaire donors who are willing to pony up for eight figure buyouts. Our Athletic Department has been walking on egg shells since right after Barnett was on the sidelines. The Tumpkin episode had a chance to be much worse than it was. Luckily, ADRG navigated it well enough to keep the ship sailing. He used substantial political capital to keep the party moving.

If Ole Piss or any another school wants HCMM, we’ll happily release him immediately and accept their blood money to take him off our hands. Otherwise, HCMM is an employee of the University of Colorado who has A LOT of work to do in recruiting a new & improved staff and Prime Time Players.

Winfree Ento Shenault Nixon Jmac

An upperclassmen QB who CAN be special despite all the hate he gets on here. I think he is going to be good this next season and very good his senior year!

Winfree Ento Shenault Nixon Jmac

An upperclassmen QB who CAN be special despite all the hate he gets on here. I think he is going to be good this next season and very good his senior year!
He’s got great physical tools, when he applies himself, but I don’t think he’s mentally there, nor will be.

To answer the original post — NO. We do not fire HCMM. He has raised the expectation bar and pulled us out of the mire from the previous two coaches. Now, it is HCMM’s job to live up to the new expectations he has created for himself. This is in line with ADRG’s vision board/goals for the football program that he released earlier this year.

However, HCMM has one more year to prove that he can get it done. ADRG should get to fund raising for a buyout if HCMM doesn’t live up to certain criteria: 7+ wins, gains in recruiting, scrubbing dead weight off of coaching staff, improving S&C, etc.

As it stands, we are distinct from other P5 programs in that our university/state is not all in on college football. We don’t have a vast array of gazillionaire donors who are willing to pony up for eight figure buyouts. Our Athletic Department has been walking on egg shells since right after Barnett was on the sidelines. The Tumpkin episode had a chance to be much worse than it was. Luckily, ADRG navigated it well enough to keep the ship sailing. He used substantial political capital to keep the party moving.

If Ole Piss or any another school wants HCMM, we’ll happily release him immediately and accept their blood money to take him off our hands. Otherwise, HCMM is an employee of the University of Colorado who has A LOT of work to do in recruiting a new & improved staff and Prime Time Players.

He gets next year if changes are made. Darrin Chiaverini is the only assistant who has to stay-only because it seems like he's the only one on this staff who recruits at a power five level. Everybody else is fair game.

Back