What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Do you have concerns heading into the season?

absinthe

Ambitious but rubbish.
Club Member
Junta Member
Justin's article and the ensuing thread got me thinking, expectations are pretty big this year but we don't 100% know what we have yet. Outside of just the team gelling - what concerns to you have? These are mine:

- PG play: Can Dom grow into the answer at that position? How do Bryce and or White fit into the equation? With out decent PG play we'll be in trouble.

- Defense at the rim: Wess and Tory are both capable but Josh had a special ability to defend the rim and never pick up fouls. DO we have enough depth and skill to over come this?

- Leadership on the floor, where does it come from?

Feel free to point out where and how I am wrong.

To me, it's all about team chemistry. There's enough talent to surpass last season--even with some injuries--but it all has to come together.

Perimeter defense - do we have it again? I hear a lot about Derrick White's offense, but nothing about his defense. Deleon Brown has been praised as a defender, repeatedly, by Tad. No one else.

I'm concerned.

X factor- how does x fit in this year? What's his role? This could be a huge year for him.

If forced to bet, I say that we bow out in the around of 32 or SS. However, I have this uncomfortable fear about losing Josh Scott. I don't have any connections to last year's team or good second-hand information, but to me it seemed that Scott was a great, subtle leader of the team. He also provided a good anchor for the team on offense. I think we have the talent to compete well, but I just worry about the team's temperament. Does XJ step up as an effective leader or does he fall short sort of like Askia, granted there are differences due to their games? Losing The Mayor was tough; will losing Jelly be just as difficult? This is all about team chemistry issues, not on-court games or talent.

If we are being realistic there are concerns, but almost all of them are mitigated in other ways....plus this is the season of perpetual koolaid.
km_winner.jpg

If forced to bet, I say that we bow out in the around of 32 or SS. However, I have this uncomfortable fear about losing Josh Scott. I don't have any connections to last year's team or good second-hand information, but to me it seemed that Scott was a great, subtle leader of the team. He also provided a good anchor for the team on offense. I think we have the talent to compete well, but I just worry about the team's temperament. Does XJ step up as an effective leader or does he fall short sort of like Askia, granted there are differences due to their games? Losing The Mayor was tough; will losing Jelly be just as difficult? This is all about team chemistry issues, not on-court games or talent.

I agree with this too a point - Josh was not as dominant and vocal leader as Spencer and XJ is a lot more social and we'll liked than Askia. I do think we give up something if we go from Josh to XJ just not as much as Spencer to Ski.

Four 5th year seniors and a lot of other vets. I am not worried about the leadership and maturity of this team.

Really, my only concern is about being able to D up or beat pressure from the back court. It was the killer last season.

Really, my only concern is about being able to D up or beat pressure from the back court. It was the killer last season.

Spencer really spoiled us for two and a half years. These are the two areas that massively declined after he left. These are also the two areas that we are going to need significant improvement to compete for a conference title or advance in the tourney.

Still very much an unknown.

Perimeter defense - do we have it again? I hear a lot about Derrick White's offense, but nothing about his defense. Deleon Brown has been praised as a defender, repeatedly, by Tad. No one else.

I'm concerned.
White was third in his conference with 42 blocked shots in his last year and lead his team in steals at 32 so he must be playing some defense.

This year (to me) is looking even more promising than the mayors final season. There are a lot of 4th and 5th year guys, and some great pieces.
Not too concerned with the defense down in the post - wes always was a bit better on defense than jelly was.
What im worried about is guard play - We had a lot of talent down low last year, and couldnt always get them the ball, which caused a lot of problems.

Is a deep run possible? Yes, but not without guard play. Can dom and white feed the post and open things up? Only time will tell.

I'm afraid the C Unit is losing it's mojo. They just don't seem to have the energy they once did.
there was a lot of effort and money put into getting Folsom Frenzy spun up - now its all been merged into one unit I am curious how things will be as well.

I wasn't, then I listened to Tad's media day presser. I get that he is using this to temper expectations, but after listening to that I don't think we win one game this year.

I'd like to avoid the locker room issues that we had a few years ago. I believe that some of that involved XJ?

there was a lot of effort and money put into getting Folsom Frenzy spun up - now its all been merged into one unit I am curious how things will be as well.
Will the guy with the yellow (gold) wizzard's hat ever graduate?

I'd like to avoid the locker room issues that we had a few years ago. I believe that some of that involved XJ?

Leadership and maturity vacuum. Ski being a lone wolf, Josh not stepping up vocally, XJ being the most charismatic - created a hot mess.

Part I.

I'm a little concerned about fan turnout at Coors before January. We have some players, I'm looking at you GMFK, that play their best when they think everybody is watching. With the football team's success, CU fans that were once starved for a winning program might not need to turn to the basketball program to elevate their sense of self-worth.

Bringing Xavier to Boulder is massive, but the casual college basketball fans that make up the majority of the CU ticket base might not realize that Xavier is a legit program with an Elite Eight type team this year. That game should be sold out, packed house. Is Boulder capable of that on a Wednesday night in early December?

Maybe I'm over-thinking things though. It's possible that CU's football success has brought a lot of completely disconnected alumni out of the woodwork that will now also take notice of the basketball program.

Part II.

I'm a little concerned that we are going to hear Derrick White's back story from every out-of-town broadcast team this year. Don't get me wrong, it's a great story and if Derrick White lives up to the hype he will deserve every bit of exposure he gets. But as an NFL fan, I've heard that Brock Osweiler was recruited to play basketball at Gonzaga by Mark Few 30 times in the past 2 years. Every broadcast team telling the same story over and over.

Part II.

I'm a little concerned that we are going to hear Derrick White's back story from every out-of-town broadcast team this year. Don't get me wrong, it's a great story and if Derrick White lives up to the hype he will deserve every bit of exposure he gets. But as an NFL fan, I've heard that Brock Osweiler was recruited to play basketball at Gonzaga by Mark Few 30 times in the past 2 years. Every broadcast team telling the same story over and over.
Great. Now I'm concerned about you bitching about hearing his back story every game

Last edited:
Part II.

I wonder if White can kick with both feet

Part I.

I'm a little concerned about fan turnout at Coors before January. We have some players, I'm looking at you GMFK, that play their best when they think everybody is watching. With the football team's success, CU fans that were once starved for a winning program might not need to turn to the basketball program to elevate their sense of self-worth.

looking at the home games before 1/1, I think CU can show up drunk and win all except CSU and Xavier.

Point guard play by far #1. We can't have a season of sub-par Pac PG play and achieve what we otherwise could. We can excel elsewhere, but without that, it's another 8-10 seed and out in the First Round. Dom has to be improved, or else its patchwork with White not always where we want him.

Depth. Managing it is easier said than done. Let's get our rotation figured out and settled on. Our OOC is great for building a resume, but also limits some of our experimental time because I am a believer that we need some resume builders early.

Leadership: XJ has to step up in a big way, as do all upperclassmen. We're going to need XJ in those moments on the road up 76-74 with 2:10 to play.

Back