What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

End of Regular Season/Other Conference Tournaments Thread

I feel bad for them. With their RPI, overall record and record against the Top 100, the Rams were a tourney team. I think the committee made a b.s. call based on a decision that the MWC was a 3-bid league. When Wyoming won the tourney, someone was out and the committee made the wrong call on bumping CSU instead of Boise State.

The jay bias/little billy pecker effect. Cram the 7/8 teams from major conferences in because everyone wants to see a crappy ucla team instead of CSU/Murray St etc. Right? Really sickening.

They went way, way out of their way last season when they were forced to give an undefeated Wichita St a 1 seed to totally stack the deck against them. First, Kentucky gets an 8 seed. Then defending champion Lousiville had they beaten Kentucky. Then it got worse. They were well and truly punished for that one seed.

Last edited:
So, I heard Avila could've played the last game but Larry Ewe was so confident they were in, he rested him. Larry should've spoken to Tad about that.

True, but it's not our fault that they didn't try to test themselves outside of our game against them

Totally. I just was pointing out that we screwed them over by sucking, when they probably thought that we would be a big RPI boost and a quality win.

It would be interesting to see an RPI list for teams selected (besides low-rpi Conf tourney winners). I thought that was supposed to be important.

It would be interesting to see an RPI list for teams selected (besides low-rpi Conf tourney winners). I thought that was supposed to be important.

Indiana is 61, Ole Miss 60, LSU 58 and Purdue 56….CSU is 29. CSU is the first top 30 snub since the tournament expanded to 68.

CSU got jobbed. But I'd argue not as bad as we did in 2011. Our SOS was 51st that year; theirs was 112th this year. Combined with not being a P5 school, and it was probably what pushed them out.

I'm disappointed in the CSU exclusion and think it's a little crazy but the truth is teams like CSU won't get the benefit of the doubt and could have done more (either by scheduling or winning more games) to solidify their standing. It appears that RPI is no longer the most important metric and teams should strive to schedule as many top 50 and top 100 games as possible, even if they will lose the majority of them. Eventually eeking out a highly ranked win will be worth more in the committee's eyes than overall record. Welp, CSU better make some noise in the NIT, like make the finals, or they really have no complaints anyway.

I'm disappointed in the CSU exclusion and think it's a little crazy but the truth is teams like CSU won't get the benefit of the doubt and could have done more (either by scheduling or winning more games) to solidify their standing. It appears that RPI is no longer the most important metric and teams should strive to schedule as many top 50 and top 100 games as possible, even if they will lose the majority of them. Eventually eeking out a highly ranked win will be worth more in the committee's eyes than overall record. Welp, CSU better make some noise in the NIT, like make the finals, or they really have no complaints anyway.

I've always felt that the only team with a legitimate gripe for not making the dance is the NIT winner.

I keep seeing people say that CSU should have done a better job scheduling, but it's not that simple. I can't speak specifically for CSU, but I know for a fact that Murray State has a hard time getting teams to agree to games. Until Wichita State became "WICHITA STATE", they had a hard time getting teams to agree. ****, look at CU working with blue bloods. Unless you want to sign up for a bodybag game, there aren't a lot of options for the good mid-major teams.

I'm sure there is truth to that, but CSU's OOC this year was a joke (besides the fact that it was actually good for RPI). Regardless, CSU could have and should have won more games in conference/ the conference tourney to make a convincing argument. CSU led late @ Boise but then crapped the bed and lost to Wyo at home (and on the road). I think those two loses are what kept CSU out (besides national perception, eyeballs, and UCLA being UCLA).

I keep seeing people say that CSU should have done a better job scheduling, but it's not that simple. I can't speak specifically for CSU, but I know for a fact that Murray State has a hard time getting teams to agree to games. Until Wichita State became "WICHITA STATE", they had a hard time getting teams to agree. ****, look at CU working with blue bloods. Unless you want to sign up for a bodybag game, there aren't a lot of options for the good mid-major teams.
Sure, to an extent. But there weren't better teams they could have scheduled than some of the ones below?

Reminds me a lot of when the Buffs got snubbed back in the Big12 in Tads first year. We had a pretty horrible OOC if I remember, and it cost us.

I'm sure there is truth to that, but CSU's OOC this year was a joke (besides the fact that it was actually good for RPI). Regardless, CSU could have and should have won more games in conference/ the conference tourney to make a convincing argument. CSU led late @ Boise but then crapped the bed and lost to Wyo at home (and on the road). I think those two loses are what kept CSU out (besides national perception, eyeballs, and UCLA being UCLA).

You weren't particularly close against Wyoming in either game IIRC.....and you didn't do anything of note away from home. Thats what this comes down to.

csu lost because they didn't get a top 100 win on the road .... beat SDSU, BSU or WYO (just one of them) and they get in ...

CSU was within a point or two against Wyo at home but was never in the road game. CSU needed either a marquee win or to dominate the MWC (in a down year). They did neither.

Sure, to an extent. But there weren't better teams they could have scheduled than some of the ones below?

Whats funny is if this was CU, you'd be arguing the opposite.

Rams were screwed imo.

Whats funny is if this was CU, you'd be arguing the opposite.

Rams were screwed imo.
That doesn't answer my question and there is a reason why Tad started playing the tough ooc schedules (except this year I suppose)

Doesn't matter what we think or the CSU fan's think, what matters is what the committee thinks.

The committee looked at CSU's OOC schedule and didn't see any notable wins, they saw a team that beat a lot of down teams but didn't win enough against the top teams in the MWC including none on the road in a year when the conference was down.

It may be a bias against a mid-major conference, against non-power regional opponents like Denver and NMSU, or just a bias against a team that normally isn't a power but with CU being the only major conference team on their OOC schedule they couldn't afford for us to have a lousy year, especially since they barely beat us as well.

As mentioned earlier beat Wyoming, Boise, or SDSU on the road and they are in. Play a more nationally recognized team either at home or away and they are in.

Always going to be a team left out that thinks they should be in and always a team in that people think should be out. In this case CSU only has themselves to blame for not getting in.

Which school was worse: UCLA, LSU, or Indiana?

Was Temple a bigger snub than CSU?

UCLA and Indiana-UCLA has been beaten like a dead horse-but Indiana has losses to Eastern Washington and Northwestern. LSU doesn't bother me at all-Here's why: They won at Arkansas and West Virginia, swept Ole Miss, and beat Georgia in their only meeting. When you add in a win over UAB, that makes 6-1 against tournament teams. The loss was to Kentucky at the buzzer. Had the three at the horn that night dropped for LSU, there'd be ZERO conversation about them missing the tournament, even with the bad losses they have (Auburn twice, Miss State, and Mizzou).

Temple was a bigger snub than CSU. They beat Kansas and Cincinnati, and also played (but lost to) Villanova. Like any other bubble team, they have warts.....and I'm not crying about their exclusion. As far as the Rams, you gotta toughen up your OOC sked. Boise went to Wisconsin, San Diego State played UA in Tucson, and hell, Wyoming went to Cal and SMU. The goats have the game against us, and as we all can attest, we're not very good. They're in the tournament they should be playing in.

Back