What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Enough dancing around one of the main issues on this team

What are we going to do when let's say there is two minutes left in the game and cody get dinged up, not injured, dinged. Has to miss a series or two, with something like a mild concussion. The game is on the line, we need a drive and we have to bring in Seth Lobato.

The odds are good that cody is not going to make it through every game completely healthy. This is not a good situation. I am just baffled about this decision.

. I watched every play on my DVR several times .

Wow.. . :lol: You must enjoy the pain.. :smile2:

I got it on tape but I don't care to watch. I thought the tackles pass blocking was so pathetic it was embarrassing, but I'll take your word for it that Miller didn't have a good game..

If we didn't get Cody, who would have played in 2007? 2008? We would have had to go the JC route for sure.

Who would've played? The man, the myth, the legend, Nick Nelson. Who knows, he might not have been that bad....

When opposing teams scheme for our offense during the week, what are they truly scared of with Cody?
the two yard dump off pass if they give cody 10 seconds to sit in the pocket. i really don't understand how you guys can say cody is serviceable. whenever he gets ANY pressure, he either throws the ball away as fast as he can or turns his back to the offensive line and tries to run the wrong way. when he has time to sit in the pocket, he throws an inaccurate ball down the field in an attempt to get his wide receivers killed or he throws a two yard dump off on third and 6.

what exactly are his strengths? don't say he's a coach on the field because a coach on the field wouldn't have let the game clock run down to 0 on every snap late in the fourth quarter when time was a big factor.

that's a good point. I just saw Miller graded out above Adkins and that's it. OMG. Where is Behrens? He got beat out by Adkins?

A disturbing trend leftover from last year is that we had CSU stopped on 3 separate occasions only to see the little yellow flag hit the ground for a personal foul. CSU went onto score 10 points off of those penalties.
This is a clear case of no discipline (not coached or addressed during spring and summer practice)

Hawk is now backpedaling on the Hansen redshirt and freshman backup qb talk now. On cubuffs.com, Hawk (in addition to saying the thought we played with emotion & energy in the first half), said that he'd burn Hansen's redshirt not just if Cody got injured but if Cody wasn't "making the grade".

Clark Evans has said he wants to redshirt, so I guess that leaves us with Lobato if we don't want to burn Hansen's redshirt. From the sounds of it, it seemed like Hansen wanted to play this season - let's hope he's ready to go at Toledo - they've got trouble containing the run and adding Hansen to the mix should guarantee D Scott and Simmons can put up some big numbers

I do not understand how people can watch Cody Hawkins play this game and last year and honestly say that QB play is not a problem.

No, the OL is not spectacular, but the routine throwing the ball nowhere even remotely near the receivers is an enormous problem. The only thing that might be an even bigger problem is the inability to throw a pass reliably more than 10 or 15 yards down the field.

I do not understand how people can watch Cody Hawkins play this game and last year and honestly say that QB play is not a problem.

No, the OL is not spectacular, but the routine throwing the ball nowhere even remotely near the receivers is an enormous problem. The only thing that might be an even bigger problem is the inability to throw a pass reliably more than 10 or 15 yards down the field.

Its a problem, but the offensive scheme, WR and the OL play are worse.

Compounding the problem of OL playing terrible, Cody doesn't seem to have very good pocket presence. At the first sign of trouble he just drops it off to a RB for a 2 yard gain. This is probably why he looks incredible in practice and then we get what we saw Sunday on gameday. I really question how much these coaches put into a player playing good in practice too. I certainly remember Bahr and Behrens playing a whole lot better than Adkins did. If he beat them out because hes a practice warrior, well.. take a look at the actual game Hawk.

I was disappointed the day that Cody faxed in his LOI. I figured he was a backup at best (based on his height and the fact that he was not heavily recruited). I was not worried about nepotism, but I was more worried that his signing would really hurt our ability to recruit a quality QB, something we have not had in a long time.

Turns out that we had no QBs in the cupboard, and Cody plays. I am not convinced that Cody is not the best QB on the roster. Whether Cody is the reason we have not been able to recruit a QB, who knows? It is amazing that quarterback like Cody will start for 4 years at a BCS school. Most #1 picks don't even start for 4 years.

It's not Cody's fault. He has been thrust into a terribly difficult situation. Other than his performance on the football field, Cody has been a great buff and a great representative for the university. I don't want to bash the kid, but I don't know how else to give my honest evaluation of the situation. The whole team stinks right now, but Cody is the QB, and he is the coaches son. It is what it is, I guess.

It would help everyone if we could actually get a play in and called in time to snap the ball before zero on the play clock.

Cody is very limited by his height, his lack of arm strength, and his relative lack of mobility. Supposively one of his strengths is that he is able to read a defense at the line of scrimmage and make adjustments. With the slow play calls and the chinese fire drill substitutions he was lucky just to get a snap off without getting a penalty most of the game.

This also made it impossible for him to use a cadence or snap count to give his linement an edge over the defenders. CSU figured out very quickly that the snap had to come on the count because the clock was at zero. As a result the one big advantage that the O-line has, knowing the snap count instead became a negative and they ended up looking very bad on a lot of plays as a result.

The QB position was the least of my concerns Sunday night.

I'm neutral on Cody, and he isn't exactly the problem...

Sanchez could've started and CU still would have lost.

I'm sorry but I really think that that is a bunch of bull****.

We are now coming to the conclusion that QB play does not matter? Are you kidding me?

I understand the cliche that QB's get too much credit/blame. But taking that kind of thinking to that extreme is just foolish.

The QB position was the least of my concerns Sunday night.

I'm neutral on Cody, and he isn't exactly the problem...

you're telling me that replacing cody hawkins with an nfl first round pick qb wouldn't have made even a 7 point difference in the game? wow...

SIAP. I didn't read the previous 3 pages.

Cody was a mistake. It scared other recruits away, created a bad dynamic in the locker room, and was unfair to Cody because he's in a position where he's expected to perform at a level he is incapable of achieving.

And on another note, I'm really tired of listening to Cody's interviews. He needs to stop sounding like he's a member of the flippin' coaching staff. It would do him and the team a lot of good if he'd just act like one of the guys instead of trying to be Mini Me Hawkins.

I'm simply saying that the play at the QB position is the least of our worries right now.

Could a different QB have possibly led CU to squeak out a victory? Sure, possibly.

But CU should never "squeak out" a victory against CSU at home, in the first game.

There are a lot of, IMHO, other fundamental problems right now and the play of the QB position is but one in a long, long list.

In other words, I do not solely blame Cody for this loss. That is what I was trying to post. I think the problems run much deeper...

I'd love it if an NFL All-Pro played QB at CU right now, but I still wouldn't expect great things from the team based on what I saw Sunday night.

Does anyone remember the commentary when White came in during that Clemson game? They were talking him up like Barnett had it already set in stone that he would be Klatt's successor. Go from that to losing out on Cox and Jackson. Can't believe it. Then he went to Portland State (FCS, not DII) but as I recall they already had an established starter who wasn't going to budge for a transfer new to that offense. Knowing what he does now I bet White figures he could have played significantly had he stuck it out and suited up for Big 12 play.

Does anyone remember what other schools were looking at Cody his junior and senior years? With Hawk coming to CU about seven weeks before NSD '07, I'm sure Cody had at least a little bit of interest from some programs besides Boise State.

Last question: Where the hell would BSU be if Coach Hawk was still there? Would Cody have succeeded Zabransky instead of Dick Tharp's kid? Surely there would be two losses to Oregon.

White's issues, IIRC, was a lack of command of the playbook, to the point where he had a hard time remembering how to properly call the plays in the huddle.

His problems were not physical.

BINGO!!! BINGO!!! Hawkins did not make the top 12 in QB efficiency ratings in the Big 12 this week. He is a third year starter playing against a MWC team and he is averaging less than 6 yards an attempt. The guy is not a Big 12 caliber QB and he is not serviceable.

White's issues, IIRC, was a lack of command of the playbook, to the point where he had a hard time remembering how to properly call the plays in the huddle.

His problems were not physical.

That was BS...later in the year the coaching staff admitted that BJAX did not know the playbook and that was why they were alternating him with COX in the KU game - when cox go hurt. Ask yourself why has every second string QB gotten torpedoed since Hawkins got here. White barely got beat out by Cox in 2005 then in the second game the 3rd string QB BJax was suppose to only go in for a change of pace but played the whole game. White, who had the most eligibility, saw the writing on the wall and left.

Face forward to 2008, Ballenger is the 2nd string QB, the starter is struggling and the team is losing, Ballenger gets in for a hand full of plays (hits 8-12 passing and 118 yards - almost 10 yards an attempt) but gets leap frogged by a true freshmen who does not know the playbook but gets to start. Ballenger and his family are not happy so he leaves. Now the second string QB is going to RS and the backup is going to a true frosh walkon QB. One of the more ridiculous things I have ever heard. A case could be made that someone is trying to derail the little competition that there is at the position.

That was BS...later in the year the coaching staff admitted that BJAX did not know the playbook and that was why they were alternating him with COX in the KU game - when cox go hurt. Ask yourself why has every second string QB gotten torpedoed since Hawkins got here. White barely got beat out by Cox in 2005 then in the second game the 3rd string QB BJax was suppose to only go in for a change of pace but played the whole game. White, who had the most eligibility, saw the writing on the wall and left.

Face forward to 2008, Ballenger is the 2nd string QB, the starter is struggling and the team is losing, Ballenger gets in for a hand full of plays (hits 8-12 passing and 118 yards - almost 10 yards an attempt) but gets leap frogged by a true freshmen who does not know the playbook but gets to start. Ballenger and his family are not happy so he leaves. Now the second string QB is going to RS and the backup is going to a true frosh walkon QB. One of the more ridiculous things I have ever heard. A case could be made that someone is trying to derail the little competition that there is at the position.

I hate to think it's true, but you have said many things I have wondered myself.

Good post. I have no idea what the real story is with the QB situation, at this point it is really does not matter. The fact is our QB situation is very bad. Any attempt to spin it to the contrary is complete BS.

Everyone wants to divert attention away from the QB, but we're not looking nearly as bad with a better QB IMO. For one, we would have had some better WRs by now because we would actually be able to sell our passing offense in recruiting.

Back