What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

At a place like CU, they probably get 10,000 or more applications every year. A certain percentage would be accepted anywhere. A certain percentage wouldn’t be accepted anywhere. Where a school admissions department makes its living is finding the students who fit somewhere between those two extremes and picking out the ones who are most likely to attend if offered admissions d declining those who might be good students but aren’t really all that likely to attend if offered. Having just gone through this with my own child, it’s a fascinating process.
And having gone through this recently as well, CU isn't as elite as many folks like to believe it is. The student pool is average. Let's be honest.

KD has coached a total 10 CU games.
Our players are struggling, but they all have good credentials/backgrounds.
The coaches' whole lives are football - they haven't got the Xs and Os down - yet.
No reason the team can't come out and play a solid game against usc.

Some of CU's fan sux.
It's like the battered wife who keeps going to back to the abusive husband.

Oh man does this sound familiar
It's almost like he doesn't really know what offenses work in college or how to coordinate them. He dismantled Vanderbilt's offense and is doing the same thing here.

I never thought Steven Montez/Jay Johnson led offense averaging 23 ppg would look so good, but man, give this team that kind of offense and they are probably 3-1 right now
I keep thinking, it was Chev who was calling plays in '17, right? Basically every play that year was designed to get Laviska open. How hard is it to just design plays to just get one guy open? It doesn't have to be the same guy every play, like it was that year.

I’ll give you one, stone-cold absolute reason why. Their OL is incapable of playing anything remotely close to a solid game. The athletes on the USC defensive front seven will dominate them. Stunts and blitzes on every play. CU will have no answer.
Sadly they won't even need to run stunts and blitzes.

USC is talented enough for their defensive linemen to control the LOS and to pressure the passer regularly strictly by winning head to head battles.

What have we seen that says our tackles can hold up against even average talented DEs much less highly recruited athletes.

I never thought Steven Montez/Jay Johnson led offense averaging 23 ppg would look so good, but man, give this team that kind of offense and they are probably 3-1 right now
23 points a game sounds a-okay when the last three games combined didn’t even get 23 points. Who needs an OC? Just let the players draw up plays on their hands in the huddle, and adjust according to defensive looks! Razzle and Dazzle with School yard ball! With the money saved on an OC, this Buffs could use to hire a big(ger) name for HC!

"Hey Siri, set a reminder on December 1st, 2023, to see if CU has fired Karl Dorrell"

Done. One less thing on my list.
better not take that long...
I understand it won't happen this year (though it should) but if CU
has a losing record next year he better be gone end of November 2022

Oh man does this sound familiar
I would KILL for any of the numbers listed in that article.

278 yds per game vs 239 (currently ahead of UL Monroe AND UConn)
^^^^ Note those are the ONLY 2 teams we are ahead of

179.1 passing yds vs 85. <--- No, I didn't forget a digit

109.3 rushing yds vs 154 <--- I was gonna take out UNC, but Vandy played Old Dominion in the mandatory week 11 SEC powderpuff game, so I left it in. Note: We won't average that by the end of the season.

This comparison makes me even sadder at where we are as a team.

What I hope is happening right now

1. RG is calling high-level donors and asking them if they will donate to help cover the buyout IF he can pull in a Tier1 or 2 option to replace Dorrell at the end of the year.
2. RG is clearing the hurdles with the administration, letting them know that additional funding will be coming in to help with the buyout, BUT he will need to increase the salary pool available for assistants.
3. RG comes up with a short-list (5-8 names) that would meet the qualifications to make the donors happy. Kick the tires and see what happens.
4. If you can't pull someone in from the shortlist, RG should let KD know that he needs to make significant staff changes this offseason and that he is absolutely coaching for his job in 2022.
I think the donors are tired - CU has gone to the well too many times and it is drying up. Best example - after Embree was fired, Bohn went to the donors saying that CU needed them to step up so we could hire a big name head coach and entice that coach by having a substantial salary pool for assistant coaches. So we hired MacIntyre and he used the the assistant coach salary pool to give subpar coaches big raises. If you pay someone Top 5 money that does not make them a Top 5 performer, something that CU continues to not understand. Fans always say get more money but that does no good when it is squandered away.

RG raised a lot of money for Stadium improvements with the promise that it would result in better recruiting.

Since Barnett was fired, Donors have stepped up time and time again to try to help make things better but things just keep getting worse.

CU way overpaid for Dorrell and most of the assistants. Does that sit well with the guys and gals who are watching the money get wasted?

Last edited:

Reallllll fun discussion around the 24 minute mark. It's right after they get done talking about how Arizona's lone hope to win a game is probably us because they have a quarterback. More fuel to the "Karl Dorrell kills offenses" fire.
brutal

EDIT: One of the podcasters seems convinced HCKD is the architect of the turd offense.

Last edited:

Reallllll fun discussion around the 24 minute mark. It's right after they get done talking about how Arizona's lone hope to win a game is probably us because they have a quarterback. More fuel to the "Karl Dorrell kills offenses" fire.
Stuff we already knew but it's brutal to hear from a disinterested party.

Next year CU's OOC Schedule is TCU in Boulder, AFA in Colorado Springs and Minnesota on the road.
Can we say 0-3 start ? Just fire HCKD and move on .
Let's not get the cart before the horse here. You may end up being right, I hope not, but let's see how SC goes this weekend.

I am not thinking the Buffs chances are great, but I still hold out hope.

Either way, CU is stuck with HCKD for the balance of the season at a minimum. Likely next year too.

Let's not get the cart before the horse here. You may end up being right, I hope not, but let's see how SC goes this weekend.

I am not thinking the Buffs chances are great, but I still hold out hope.

Either way, CU is stuck with HCKD for the balance of the season at a minimum. Likely next year too.
The cart already ran over the horse, which was being ridden by Dorrell and Chiv. They didn't recognize it cause it was moving forward.

I keep thinking, it was Chev who was calling plays in '17, right? Basically every play that year was designed to get Laviska open. How hard is it to just design plays to just get one guy open? It doesn't have to be the same guy every play, like it was that year.
Was Laviska the best athlete on the team that year? Its a pretty good rule of thumb to get the ball to your best athlete as much as possible

Back