What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

Don't forget the weekly Jedi mind tricks with the QB situation.
This what drives me nuts. He talked about how together this team is (which I believe is a false narrative) but has not told them who their offensive leader is, this leads to some amount of dissension in the ranks. Also the two QBs we have have different skill sets so the offensive game plan is different for each one meaning the team is not practicing a complete game plan all week because they have to continue to get reps for both QBs. With CUs offensive struggles this approach is beyond insanity.

I think Dorrell loves the idea of a dual-threat QB but the problem is that Lewis is really not much of a threat in either case. I also worry that Shrout is not all that great otherwise they would have gone that way.

This what drives me nuts. He talked about how together this team is (which I believe is a false narrative) but has not told them who their offensive leader is, this leads to some amount of dissension in the ranks. Also the two QBs we have have different skill sets so the offensive game plan is different for each one meaning the team is not practicing a complete game plan all week because they have to continue to get reps for both QBs. With CUs offensive struggles this approach is beyond insanity.

I think Dorrell loves the idea of a dual-threat QB but the problem is that Lewis is really not much of a threat in either case. I also worry that Shrout is not all that great otherwise they would have gone that way.
I don’t think Shrout is a great QB, but I think his arm talent is obvious. Makes bad decisions and will make mistakes. I think it’s simply that Dorrell would rather play risk averse football and keep games close. Problem is, for that strategy to work, you have to be able to run the ball well and your QB still has to make many plays, neither of which this offense can fo

The coordination does look better on the offensive side of the ball. There were plays to be made last Friday that the QB simply couldn't make.

Ultimately, I think Dorrell has lost a portion of the team with how he has handled this QB situation. I just depends on how long he will continue with this insanity.

I don’t think Shrout is a great QB, but I think his arm talent is obvious. Makes bad decisions and will make mistakes. I think it’s simply that Dorrell would rather play risk averse football and keep games close. Problem is, for that strategy to work, you have to be able to run the ball well and your QB still has to make many plays, neither of which this offense can fo
You also need a defense that can... ya know... keep the game close. And IMO, keeping it close for the first half isn't that.

I don't think people should conclude that Shrout makes bad decisions based on TCU. His 2 risky throws were with 10 seconds left in the half, and 4th & 17 where he at least threw the ball past the 1st down marker. An interception in either of those situations has no consequences, and Brenden Lewis would have thrown the ball out of bounds on both of those plays.

Shrout needs an actual chance to run the full offense in a neutral game state before we come to the conclusion that he's a turnover machine

I don't think people should conclude that Shrout makes bad decisions based on TCU. His 2 risky throws were with 10 seconds left in the half, and 4th & 17 where he at least threw the ball past the 1st down marker. An interception in either of those situations has no consequences, and Brenden Lewis would have thrown the ball out of bounds on both of those plays.

Shrout needs an actual chance to run the full offense in a neutral game state before we come to the conclusion that he's a turnover machine
The book on JT at Tennessee was big arm, high talent but mistake prone. That’s all I’m really basing things on, as nobody outside of the staff and players truly know if that’s accurate

The book on JT at Tennessee was big arm, high talent but mistake prone. That’s all I’m really basing things on, as nobody outside of the staff and players truly know if that’s accurate
I've also heard that from Tennessee people but he was put in a lot of similar situations there too. Maybe he's really reckless in practice idk

True, but GB and some of the Tennessee people have said the same...Shrout thinks he can thread the needle anywhere, anytime. I watched one throw in the 2d half where he threw into triple coverage. Small sample size, but that has been the knock on him.

HCKD wants risk free FB, apparently. BLew kept the TD/INT ratio very low last year. But he threw a lot of stuff away. He also only mounted 10 TD's. HCKD seems very NFL like in his game planning. No risk, keep it close, win by late FG. The problem is the talent is not evenly spread in CFB, and CU is on the short end talent-wise against very nearly every opponent. It is a recipe for getting blown out, e.g. Texas, Utah, TCU, etc.

True, but GB and some of the Tennessee people have said the same...Shrout thinks he can thread the needle anywhere, anytime. I watched one throw in the 2d half where he threw into triple coverage. Small sample size, but that has been the knock on him.

HCKD wants risk free FB, apparently. BLew kept the TD/INT ratio very low last year. But he threw a lot of stuff away. He also only mounted 10 TD's. HCKD seems very NFL like in his game planning. No risk, keep it close, win by late FG. The problem is the talent is not evenly spread in CFB, and CU is on the short end talent-wise against very nearly every opponent. It is a recipe for getting blown out, e.g. Texas, Utah, TCU, etc.
I wish coaches would realize that the only difference between a 3 and out and an interception thrown down field is a few yards of field position.

^^^So much this^^^

Those would be bad decisions if made within FG range, in your own end, on 1st or 2nd down, while protecting a lead, etc. In context of the actual game situations, forcing those low percentage throws was smart football.

I wish coaches would realize that the only difference between a 3 and out and an interception thrown down field is a few yards of field position.
Dorrell opted to punt (with a true freshman punter wearing an arm sleeve mind you) on 4th and 5 from the TCU 41, which after the touchback, amounted to 20 yards difference in field position (which TCU pretty much erased immediately anyways). He’s as risk averse as a coach gets and is also about as clueless on how to manage a game as it gets

Dorrell opted to punt (with a true freshman punter wearing an arm sleeve mind you) on 4th and 5 from the TCU 41, which after the touchback, amounted to 20 yards difference in field position (which TCU pretty much erased immediately anyways). He’s as risk averse as a coach gets and is also about as clueless on how to manage a game as it gets
Yeah, we "risk aversed" ourselves to a 7-6 deficit at half, which ballooned from there. What a joke KD is.

Related:

As of today, we would be an underdog in every remaining game. That says all ya need to know at this point with dorell

Good to finally have a football thread where we can all come together
5382dd61-8bbd-4d64-833f-783e0f1bb69d_text.gif

Not to mention that it requires a good to dominate defense

Not to mention that it requires a good to dominate defense
The first half of the TCU game was pretty good defense. Wilson can’t adjust, though.

I’m sure KD looks at the missed Fontenot wheel route and missed Arias route that both would have been TDs and thinks to himself that hitting those two plays puts CU at a 20-7 halftime lead and therefore “they are close”

The first half of the TCU game was pretty good defense. Wilson can’t adjust, though.

I’m sure KD looks at the missed Fontenot wheel route and missed Arias route that both would have been TDs and thinks to himself that hitting those two plays puts CU at a 20-7 halftime lead and therefore “they are close”
Was the first half a case of good defense or poor offense? Once TCU decide to run, it was over. The first half was a bunch of incomplete passes killing drives

The coordination does look better on the offensive side of the ball. There were plays to be made last Friday that the QB simply couldn't make.

Ultimately, I think Dorrell has lost a portion of the team with how he has handled this QB situation. I just depends on how long he will continue with this insanity.
You lose some of them, you'll lose them all eventually, if not already.

Watching the first half, I thought the offense coordination was much improved. Plays were being called to the O's strengths. No runs up the middle, getting the ball out quick in space, attacking the edges. There were a lot of opportunities missed, but overall it was not an unsound attack.

Watching the first half, I thought the offense coordination was much improved. Plays were being called to the O's strengths. No runs up the middle, getting the ball out quick in space, attacking the edges. There were a lot of opportunities missed, but overall it was not an unsound attack.
It was competent vanilla.

We don't have the talent to win with vanilla, no matter how competently it's run or called.

Back