What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

Yes, but when the admissions department knows that their success is tied to the football and basketball team success they don't need to be told what to do.

"Can we find a way to let these guys in?" doesn't need to have a couple bills accompanying it. It needs to come after the president just mentioned to the dean of admissions, again and for the 47th time, that when the football team succeeds, applications go up and if applications go up, he can actually justify those raises.
This argument only makes sense if you have an effective Athletic Department (one that’s able to successfully produce bountiful income for the school). Colorado’s Athletic Department has proven to be terrible managers of their resources over the past two decades. They have not earned this deference that this theory requires.

BTW, the schools who are actually successful at sports do not follow your proposed model. All of them follow the model I’ve outlined.

My recollection was that CU was around the 25-30 range for public universities when I enrolled in 1995. Kansas was around 50. Now they are about the same. Several of my classmates from Mullen did not get into CU.
This^. CU was selective in admissions at one time. In the 60s and 70s the "moderately above average" local HS grad wouldn't get accepted and quite a few of the "pretty damn good" ones wouldn't either. Not sure when it changed.

This^. CU was selective in admissions at one time. In the 60s and 70s the "moderately above average" local HS grad wouldn't get accepted and quite a few of the "pretty damn good" ones wouldn't either. Not sure when it changed.
When did CU start dictating that a certain percentage of student be in-state? When did that policy go into effect?

IIRC, applications tanked after the "scandal." Competent leaders should have been able to overcome that in a few years. Instead, CU has been a clown show ever since.

IIRC, applications tanked after the "scandal." Competent leaders should have been able to overcome that in a few years. Instead, CU has been a clown show ever since.
The "hanging head in shame" reaction by the administration was the exact wrong pose at the exact wrong time.

And frankly, it's always the wrong pose - even if you ****ed up. "We ****ed up, but we're going to prove that we can do it the right way" and away you go.

What do we mean applications tanked? I don't think there is evidence of that.

I think moreso you have seen a focus on CU trying to lure lower quality out-of-state students to keep tuition revenue up
Throughout the fall, problems swirled around the university’s football program. Barnett -- who said he would like to comment on the grand jury report but was not allowed to discuss the investigation -- was suspended briefly for derogatory comments he made about female kicker Katie Hnida, who said she was sexually assaulted while at the university. The school’s athletic director, Dick Tharp, resigned in November.

The university, with a reputation as one of the nation’s top party schools, also gained notoriety following the deaths of several students from alcohol poisoning. All of the negative attention, regents said, has taken a toll. Out-of-state applications are down 19%.
https://www.denverpost.com/2006/02/21/cu-on-the-mend-leaders-say/

Watching my kids and their friends go through the process over the last 4-5 years it is undeniable that CU's admissions policies have changed. If you're from out of state and can pay full tuition/R+B with no aid - you're automically in no questions asked, no matter your GPA, SAT, etc. In state, good student, good activities record = 50/50 chance. Basically, if you are wealthy, white, a woman, and from either coast they'll give you the g'damn keys to campus. From what I hear and see CU Boulder is predominantly made up of rich white out of state kids who pull Ds, party more than study, post on Instagram, spend the family's money and will become really lousy alums some day.

Watching my kids and their friends go through the process over the last 4-5 years it is undeniable that CU's admissions policies have changed. If you're from out of state and can pay full tuition/R+B with no aid - you're automically in no questions asked, no matter your GPA, SAT, etc. In state, good student, good activities record = 50/50 chance. Basically, if you are wealthy, white, a woman, and from either coast they'll give you the g'damn keys to campus. From what I hear and see CU Boulder is predominantly made up of rich white out of state kids who pull Ds, party more than study, post on Instagram, spend the family's money and will become really lousy alums some day.
Barstoolbuffs endorses this post.

I'm going to go out on a a limb and assume your a Libtard...
I Love You Wish GIF by Graduation

Total Net Revenue from Football FY2014-FY2020 with football specific revenue and football specific Expenditures and total AD Net Revenue in parenthesis.

2014 - $11,081,351 Net Revenue from Football (-$76k total)
  • Rev - $28.4m
  • Exp - $17.3m
2015 - $11,274,065 Net Revenue from Football ($2.5m total)
  • Rev - $28.3m
  • Exp - $17m
2016 - $19,172,394 Net Revenue from Football ($2.5m total)
  • Rev - $37.5m
  • Exp - $18.3m
2017 - $21,403,391 Net Revenue from Football ($3.5m total)
  • Rev - $43.5m
  • Exp - $22.1m
2018 - $21,386,232 Net Revenue from Football (-$245k total)
  • Rev - $43.4m
  • Exp - $22.1m
2019 - $13,776,760 Net Revenue from football (-$3.m total)
  • Rev - $43.4m
  • Exp - $29.6m
2020 - $27,772,578 Net Revenue from football ($4.4m total)
  • Rev - $50.4m
  • Exp - $22.7m
2021 – (355,313) Net Revenue from football (-$17.4m total)
  • Rev - $17.1m
  • Exp - $17.5m

Even a ****ty football team having to buy out bad contracts brings in a ton of revenue and keeps the AD's P&L positive more often than not. It's absurd to suggest the AD has so poorly mismanaged its finances that there's no reason for the school itself to loan the necessary funds in order for the football program to do what's necessary to continue being profitable.

That decline did not linger - the school definitely bounced back. Also, wasn't that when the recession kicked off?
I looked at this more here: https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...rado.boulder.ir/viz/QualComp/AdmissionsCounts

Admission rates are roughly the same for in-state vs. out-of-state applicants. I think they have had to significantly increase out-of-state tuition to make up for the lack of funding from the state. Read an article that said Colorado is the worst state for higher-ed funding.

About one out of every three in-state students accepted goes on to enroll, while only one out of ten out-of-state students enrolls. They are definitely chasing those out-of-state dollars. Given that it is a terrible value, the out-of-state students who do enroll probably do not have any better options.

I looked at this more here: https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...rado.boulder.ir/viz/QualComp/AdmissionsCounts

Admission rates are roughly the same for in-state vs. out-of-state applicants. I think they have had to significantly increase out-of-state tuition to make up for the lack of funding from the state. Read an article that said Colorado is the worst state for higher-ed funding.

About one out of every three in-state student that is accepted goes on to enroll, while only one out of ten out-of-state student enrolls. They are definitely chasing those out-of-state dollars. Given that it is a terrible value, the out-of-state students who do enroll probably do not have any better options for skiing and drinking.
Fixed that last bit for you.

If I am Sailman, and PD is truly on his way out, I look at a short term goal and long term goal with the Schools support of the AD.

Ultimately, the School will need to invest into the AD heavily over the short term to turn it around and make it a net positive financially and politically. There is no cheap way of doing it, so you either invest heavily or keep the status quo which would be a disaster. Easily talking about tens of millions of dollars over the next 5 or so years.

The AD's that are independent of the School receive more booster money than CU generates annually in revenue. That is really not a discussion for right now, but could be something to shoot for in the distant future.

Last edited:
Back