What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

also, i think it probably should be written down on a stone tablet as a nearly unbreakable rule:

bowl eligible in year 3 is the minimum standard for a power conference team. any power conference team.

if you give KD a pass for the covid shortened year, then it would be very CU-like to let this bleed into next season before they pull the plug.

Under Dorrell, the quarterbacks coach, Vanderbilt was the only team in the FBS to start four different quarterbacks. Multiple quarterbacks played in eight of 12 games, and they combined for 13 passing TDs and 19 interceptions (both worst in the SEC).

I see KD hasn't learned a damn thing.
I wish I hadn't read the article. There is also this

Dorrell and Lubick were casualties of a coaching staff that guided one of the worst offensive units in the Football Bowl Subdivision. The Commodores ranked 122nd in total yards, 112th in rushing and 106th in passing among 125 FBS schools.

Dorrell and Lubick were casualties of a coaching staff that guided one of the worst offensive units in the Football Bowl Subdivision. The Commodores ranked 122nd in total yards, 112th in rushing and 106th in passing among 125 FBS schools.
We were 129th of 130 last year in yards per game. We somehow did worse than that vandy team.

One of the worst offensive units in the FBS… where have I heard that before? I’m trying to recall

I don't think RG can be trusted to hire another coach. He needs to go.

the-sopranos-hes-gotta-go.gif

fire everyone! fire, fire! cool.

CU is going to do CU things. hawkins, embree, dorrell all a year too long. rg is not going anywhere. all we can hope is that after this season finishes or next season somewhere in the midst of it, kd is let go and someone is hired who can out punch our circumstances. tad boyle did. Coach Mac did. hell, it could be argued mm did considering how his era looks in context with the other recent coaches.

so, yeah, we're gonna do the 1-10 thing again this year and it is gonna suck and we are all going to hate it. and we will shed more fans, boosters, etc.

of course, i hope i am wrong and there is a sleeping epic turnaround this year. it kinda has to start with air force if we are hoping for bowl eligibility.

fire everyone! fire, fire! cool.

CU is going to do CU things. hawkins, embree, dorrell all a year too long. rg is not going anywhere. all we can hope is that after this season finishes or next season somewhere in the midst of it, kd is let go and someone is hired who can out punch our circumstances. tad boyle did. Coach Mac did. hell, it could be argued mm did considering how his era looks in context with the other recent coaches.

so, yeah, we're gonna do the 1-10 thing again this year and it is gonna suck and we are all going to hate it. and we will shed more fans, boosters, etc.

of course, i hope i am wrong and there is a sleeping epic turnaround this year. it kinda has to start with air force if we are hoping for bowl eligibility.
The odds of a "sleeping epic turnaround" are about as high as the odds of Jerdough putting his money where his mouth is.

Looking ahead to 2023 schedule, and assuming Dorrell is back, I think the over under is 3-21 over two seasons.

In fairness, those Vandy guys hadn't forgotten everything James Franklin & Ricky Rahne had taught them during the 9-win season the previous year.
I’ve been researching Ricky Rahne a little since seeing him mentioned in here and I have fully gotten my hopes up on him being our next coach

I had a disturbing thought today. 10 years ago was the 1-11 season. We are in the exact same position with a lame duck coach and likely a winless (or one win) team as we were a decade ago.

This is completely true. Check out this video from Ringo and Thorburn from 10 years ago reviewing the Fresno State loss. Same **** we're dealing with now. It's eerie.

It’s hard to imagine that at the time of his hiring, Dorrell was likely making around $400,000 per year as an assistant with the Dolphins (the league average for an assistant coach), all unguaranteed, while serving under a coach on the hot seat that would be fired later that year. To land a fully guaranteed +/-$15 million contract from CU was such a windfall out of left field. CU was literally competing against no one.

I really don’t have an issue with the base salary, which sets a precedent and allows CU to find a new coach if needed at that elevated pay scale. What I have an issue with is the buyout effectively being the whole contract. Buyout after year three should’ve been greatly reduced.

It’s hard to imagine that at the time of his hiring, Dorrell was likely making around $400,000 per year as an assistant with the Dolphins (the league average for an assistant coach), all unguaranteed, while serving under a coach on the hot seat that would be fired later that year. To land a fully guaranteed +/-$15 million contract from CU was such a windfall out of left field. CU was literally competing against no one.

I really don’t have an issue with the base salary, which sets a precedent and allows CU to find a new coach if needed at that elevated pay scale. What I have an issue with is the buyout effectively being the whole contract. Buyout after year three should’ve been greatly reduced.
Makes you wonder given where Dorrell was in his career, if RG had offered him the same pay but none of it would be guaranteed, does KD still take the job? I know it’s not “market”, but this was a hire where CU was competing with no one.

Makes you wonder given where Dorrell was in his career, if RG had offered him the same pay but none of it would be guaranteed, does KD still take the job? I know it’s not “market”, but this was a hire where CU was competing with no one.
If he had not been hired by CU, he likely would’ve been let go with the termination of Brian Flores, at which point he would’ve been 57 years old looking for an assistant gig. It was very close to the end of his run in my opinion.

I know it’s easy to be an armchair AD, but I really don’t see how anyone can defend Rick George’s contract negotiation in this case. George was scrambling, but he had leverage too.

If he had not been hired by CU, he likely would’ve been let go with the termination of Brian Flores, at which point he would’ve been 57 years old looking for an assistant gig. It was very close to the end of his run in my opinion.

I know it’s easy to be an armchair AD, but I really don’t see how anyone can defend Rick George’s contract negotiation in this case. George was scrambling, but he had leverage too.
Yeah I don't have any problem with the contract being fully guaranteed, that is common industry practice but when you see coaches like Fisch making 2.6 million and Cristobal originally making 2.7 million a good AD would have realized that KD should only need about $2 million and needs way more resources around him since he hasn't been in college football for so long.

Yeah I don't have any problem with the contract being fully guaranteed, that is common industry practice but when you see coaches like Fisch making 2.6 million and Cristobal originally making 2.7 million a good AD would have realized that KD should only need about $2 million and needs way more resources around him since he hasn't been in college football for so long.
High base, lower guarantee. Low base, fully guaranteed. I’m ok with either, but prefer the former. In any case, just don’t do both.

High base, lower guarantee. Low base, fully guaranteed. I’m ok with either, but prefer the former. In any case, just don’t do both.
It really can't be stated enough how insanely stupid the combination was. I mean it really stands out as an outlier in term of P5 coaching strategies. Simply no one gives that to an NFL position coach nobody is after.

What a still don't know to this date is how much of this is RG and how much of it is PDS.

Fisch also doesn’t have a fully guaranteed contract.

The press is beginning to turn up the heat on this program. That is a good thing. Columnists, reporters and radio guys are beginning to excoriate CU, KD and RG. The ball is rolling and picking up momentum.
I've never seen this with Colorado media and CU football. They are pulling some punches right now and we need them to continue.

There is a pulse out there with the media and they are as tired of this **** show as the fan base.

I've never seen this with Colorado media and CU football. They are pulling some punches right now and we need them to continue.

There is a pulse out there with the media and they are as tired of this **** show as the fan base.
Well, imagine being Brian or Adam and your livelihood revolves around getting fed **** and kept in the dark most of the time by one of the most incompetent programs in the country. Not only that, but they work for independent publications, and they have to constantly write fluff pieces that likely go against their actual opinions, just so they can keep getting fed that little bit of **** the program gives them.

Last edited:
Well, imagine being Brian or Adam and your livelihood revolves around getting fed **** and kept in the dark most of the time by one of the most incompetent programs in the country. Not only that, but they work for independent publications, and they have to write constant fluff pieces that likely goes against their actual opinions, just so they can keep getting fed that little bit of **** the program gives them.
Howell getting a little tougher with Karl on Monday was interesting today. This might be wishful thinking, but I want to echo what somebody yesterday. Maybe Brian's hearing from somebody around Saliman (most likely-I don't think PD cares and I don't believe RG is willing to fire Dorrell) that change might be on the horizon?

Hopefully it isn't wishful thinking.

KD would have saved himself some of this backlash had he avoided talking about how they were ready to win this year. We all knew he was full of ****, but the media ate it up and now looks foolish. Lying to the media will get you excoriated when the lies are exposed.

Back