What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#Fire Coach Dorrell

I fear that CU's new president (Saliman) will be of little support or help in rebuilding the AD/Football. His career is him being a budget/policy wonk for the State of Colorado. It doesn't seem he has built anything. I fear he doesn't have a golden rolodex to get the major donations directed at football to right the ship. I certainly don't think he will challenge the status quo of who controls the policy and direction of the university and its resistance to being "all in for football."

I fear that CU's new president (Saliman) will be of little support or help in rebuilding the AD/Football. His career is him being a budget/policy wonk for the State of Colorado. It doesn't seem he has built anything. I fear he doesn't have a golden rolodex to get the major donations directed at football to right the ship. I certainly don't think he will challenge the status quo of who controls the policy and direction of the university and its resistance to being "all in for football."
No way to tell. He’s only been on the clock for 2 months. Nothing in his bio provides any indication how he would approach athletics. There is no way of knowing if he will be active or hands off. But he is a CU grad and it looks like he may have been a student about the time we were in our hay day.

It is not chicken-egg. The most successful programs have buy-in from their schools because the Athletic Department makes so much money that they get to call the shots. In the schools where the Athletic Department’s revenues are insufficient to tell academics to STFU, the level of support wanes dramatically.
I was thinking about this, actually.

Are other successful ADs that much better than Rick is or Bohn/Tharpe were?

There seems to be something more in play here- take Arizona, for example. The general thinking is that football's the only revenue-positive sport, and in 2019 (the last "normal" year for which we have a complete year's worth of data), Arizona averaged ~10K per home game less attendance than CU. They are in the Pac12, so the media payout from the conference is the same. Yet the Arizona AD maintains 10 varsity men's sports compared to 8 for CU, and 12 varsity women's sports compared to 10 for CU. Arizona didn't have to take a loan from the P12.

Is UofA just that much better at managing their AD? Or are their other financial constraints that CU places on their AD that others don't? Honestly asking because I don't know.

This comparison is true for a number of other P12 schools (OSU and WSU, both of whom, embarrassingly, offer more varsity sports than CU), or ACC schools like BC or Syracuse

I was thinking about this, actually.

Are other successful ADs that much better than Rick is or Bohn/Tharpe were?

There seems to be something more in play here- take Arizona, for example. The general thinking is that football's the only revenue-positive sport, and in 2019 (the last "normal" year for which we have a complete year's worth of data), Arizona averaged ~10K per home game less attendance than CU. They are in the Pac12, so the media payout from the conference is the same. Yet the Arizona AD maintains 10 varsity men's sports compared to 8 for CU, and 12 varsity women's sports compared to 10 for CU. Arizona didn't have to take a loan from the P12.

Is UofA just that much better at managing their AD? Or are their other financial constraints that CU places on their AD that others don't? Honestly asking because I don't know.

This comparison is true for a number of other P12 schools (OSU and WSU, both of whom, embarrassingly, offer more varsity sports than CU), or ACC schools like BC or Syracuse
Counterpoint: those schools didn’t cure cancer
Counterpoint 2: those schools don’t recycle

Talking about Tharp - he was really not very good. Absolute definition of BFL good ole boy who turtled during the “scandal” when he should have been out front of it and putting the whole thing to rest. He allowed people with no interest in the success of CU athletics to set the narrative and he did nothing to combat what were obvious half truths and downright lies. He was a horrible choice for the job and he left the department in much worse shape than he found it.

Did he really say that? Holy f**k.
No he didn't. He was saying since the preseason was a failure there can still be motivation for a new season ( conference play). He didn't dismiss the last three games as if they weren't important.

I want Dorrell fired as much as the next guy but go buffs either mis-interpreted what he said or just made that up.

Not sure how I didn't know this but I learned in Brian's chat today that Chandler is our Director of Player Personnel and "he coordinates and leads all aspects of football recruiting" according to his bio. I knew he was on staff but had no idea he had been promoted this far up. Given the importance of recruiting in this day and age this strikes me as nepotism that's as bad or worse than Cody Hawkins. The Dorrell family is just completely swindling CU

I think I figured out HCKD’s perspective. In his presser today, he called the non-conference games the “pre-season.” Obviously, he still has the NFL mindset that nobody cares about the pre-season. It is all good now.
xx

ASU is going to land Urban. Easy admissions, no morals, plenty of cash, grinding coeds.
Friend of mine with ASU connection in the AD believes their #1 target is Matt Rhule.

he has also heard that Tom Herman has thrown his name in the hat.

Not sure how I didn't know this but I learned in Brian's chat today that Chandler is our Director of Player Personnel and "he coordinates and leads all aspects of football recruiting" according to his bio. I knew he was on staff but had no idea he had been promoted this far up. Given the importance of recruiting in this day and age this strikes me as nepotism that's as bad or worse than Cody Hawkins. The Dorrell family is just completely swindling CU
At CU, incompetence is not enough, nepotism has to be sprinkled in.

Give credit where it's due. If not for Chandler, I wouldn't have known that Colorado was called the Box State.

He was promoted last year iirc. Needless to say, it’s not working out

Consecutive Hermans...that has to be some kind of record.
Pee Wee Herman Bicycle GIF

The Munsters Smoking GIF

These two were reportedly unavailable.

This might be worth a listen-especially because we've taken KU's place as the worst P5 program in the country. A lot of these comments I think are directed at this program.

If ASU hires Tom Herman on their way to the Big12 and CU is stuck with Dorrell I may have an aneurism.
I told my buddy nearly the exact same thing. He also mentioned Oregon OC as a possible candidate they are talking about. From AZ originally and coached at ASU at some point. (I didn’t verify those things so not sure if correct)

We really need Chipper to hand us an ugly L on his way out of the Pac 12 on Saturday.

Can't sit on our hands for another two weeks while Tom Herman winds up in Tempe.
I think UCLA wins the game for sure. Can Chip get it to the point of ugly enough for RG to make a move? Tough to say since UCLA usually play down to their competition level. Fortunately for us they will have to forget to bring their 2-deep on the plane to get down to our level.

Friend of mine with ASU connection in the AD believes their #1 target is Matt Rhule.

he has also heard that Tom Herman has thrown his name in the hat.

whomever it is will need to know that asu will be under some sort of sanctions sooner than later- look at #11 suggestion ..lol

• Haha
Reactions: wip
Explains a lot of what I hear and see here in the "Box State." Recruiting is abysmal. This Chandler could probaby do a better job:
Excited Season 4 GIF by Friends

So…. Not sure where to put this. according to Shutdown Fullcast, using SRS the 2022 CU team would have been at least a 5 point dog to any team in CUs history going into the drubbing by Minnesota. Yes- this explicitly includes 2012s team.

the spread would likely be more now, since the Minnesota won by so much.

it’s here:

Is Lopez still part of the recruiting dream team we have in Boulder? Or has KD fired him in favor of his son? Lopez was beyond horrible and brought in by KD but I have not seen anything on him and do not care enough anymore to look it up

Back