What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

For those of you defending the offense

That play can work if there's enough space to catch it. If the defender is too close, the WR has no shot. Montez has no ability to make that read.
Which requires a quick pass. On a few of those there was a low snap that was bobbled. By the time Montez controlled it, it was way too late.

Offense was a total reclamation last night. Viska, Montez, the line with penalties, keep going. Across the board it was horrible. No leaders. No heart. That was about as bad an effort as you could ask for

Sometime during the second half last night (I was only semi-paying attention at that point) Huard broke down exactly what frustrates us with how Montez locks onto a receiver. Basically saying he doesn’t do a presnap read on what the D is doing.
He must read Allbuffs, that's been said here 100 times, literally.

Fonetenot and Mangham averaged 7.7 ypc against Washington St. Why the hell did we only run those guys a combined 19 times.

WTF?
I definitely agree, but I also think it's too simplistic to look at the game stats and say that. Don't get me wrong, there were a number of times where I thought they should have been focused on running the ball, and it's exactly what I said needed to be the game plan leading up to it. However, I think penalties and being down 21-3 in the first quarter kind of dictated that they were going to lean more on the passing game.

Fonetenot and Mangham averaged 7.7 ypc against Washington St. Why the hell did we only run those guys a combined 19 times.

WTF?
Running the ball chews up the clock, plus successful running games are a morale killer for the opposition’s defense. We prefer throwing interceptions and giving our opponents more time and less field to negotiate. It’s a giving thing.

I was thinking that this staff is actually trying to help Montez get drafted by running an offense that is most like what he ran and needs to run for NFL exposure???
Why not move to the offense that we plan to run, which uses more QB Runs, and other trickeration that Jay Johnson is known for.

I definitely agree, but I also think it's too simplistic to look at the game stats and say that. Don't get me wrong, there were a number of times where I thought they should have been focused on running the ball, and it's exactly what I said needed to be the game plan leading up to it. However, I think penalties and being down 21-3 in the first quarter kind of dictated that they were going to lean more on the passing game.
Leaning on what's not working, when something else is working, doesn't really make any sense. A miracle could happen and you could get stops.

I'm not ready to go after the OC because the running game is showing some life. I'm withholding judgement on Johnson until at least next year if not 2021 depending on the QB situation next year.

USC's rush D is #11 out of 12 in conference play.

I was thinking that this staff is actually trying to help Montez get drafted by running an offense that is most like what he ran and needs to run for NFL exposure???

Why not move to the offense that we plan to run, which uses more QB Runs, and other trickeration that Jay Johnson is known for.

Believe me, I'm so ready to move to the offense that Johnson will ultimately run but we are basically stuck with Montez until the 7th loss whenever that happens. I'd like to see CU focus more on the running game with play action to Viska.

Believe me, I'm so ready to move to the offense that Johnson will ultimately run but we are basically stuck with Montez until the 7th loss whenever that happens. I'd like to see CU focus more on the running game with play action to Viska.

The idea that we are using our strengths is just not true right now, rather as mentioned, it feels like Johnson and Tucker chose in a small way to help Montez finish his career in a way that helped show off his skills (hopefully) rather than heading into the offense that JJ wants to run and declared he wants to run. The QB must be able to be part of the run game, and the ball needs to get out to playmakers. I have also read and seen interviews that mention that JJ does give the QB a lot of at the line flexibility to change or adjust the plays at the line. Inside v outside runs, and other checks. It feels like that should be 100% taken away and JJ or Chev should lock in on the play that is ran from the sidelines and the booth.

The idea that we are using our strengths is just not true right now, rather as mentioned, it feels like Johnson and Tucker chose in a small way to help Montez finish his career in a way that helped show off his skills (hopefully) rather than heading into the offense that JJ wants to run and declared he wants to run. The QB must be able to be part of the run game, and the ball needs to get out to playmakers. I have also read and seen interviews that mention that JJ does give the QB a lot of at the line flexibility to change or adjust the plays at the line. Inside v outside runs, and other checks. It feels like that should be 100% taken away and JJ or Chev should lock in on the play that is ran from the sidelines and the booth.

Based on the last several games, that playcalling at the line needs to be taken away from Montez this week.

I'm not ready to go after the OC because the running game is showing some life. I'm withholding judgement on Johnson until at least next year if not 2021 depending on the QB situation next year.

USC's rush D is #11 out of 12 in conference play.
who is 12th ? without looking CU or wsu?

I believe that was the real Jay Johnson offense we saw tonight. Finally Montez keeps the ball and runs with it. That Strenstom run was real good. I'm looking forward to what dual threat QBs can do in this offense.

Just wish we won tonight.

Back