What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Four Reasons We'll Be Dancing

Didn't know where else to put this. XJ's injury happened at the end of June. An achilles patient can generally return to full activity in 8 to 9 months. That means he could potentially return, what, late February? So, if we are in a run for the NCAA tournament, would you prefer he use his last year of eligibility for, maybe, a 4 to 6 week run or would you prefer him get totally healthy and return next year? Personally, I think the odds of him coming back, even in early February, and getting back into the flow enough to help are not good enough to risk giving up the remainder of his eligibility. I also think it'd be better for his chances to play professionally if he had a full year under his belt.

Depends on where the tear is at (high on the achilles, low on the achilles, etc), and what procedure he used to have it fixed. 8-9 months for basketball is a stretch.....you might make it back in 9-10, but with no explosiveness and most likely no where near basketball shape. I think for a good, young athlete, you can expect look as close to yourself as you could hope around 11-12 months. I agree with you though, makes no sense to come back and waste a year of eligibility for what could amount to a handful of games.

Depends on where the tear is at (high on the achilles, low on the achilles, etc), and what procedure he used to have it fixed. 8-9 months for basketball is a stretch.....you might make it back in 9-10, but with no explosiveness and most likely no where near basketball shape. I think for a good, young athlete, you can expect look as close to yourself as you could hope around 11-12 months. I agree with you though, makes no sense to come back and waste a year of eligibility for what could amount to a handful of games.

This is correct. Even if he comes back earlier than expected he won't be "back." He won't be the same athlete as he was before the injury.

As an individual if he has pro aspirations playing this season would hurt him. His most recent film would be of a guy who is limited in what he can do.

I don't think he is going to be more than a fringe candidate for the NBA now anyways. His best hope might be to fully rehab and play at a high level in Europe. It is still not common but we are increasingly seeing guys go to Europe, develop as pros, and then come back.

The answer to this question is a tough pill for a lot of people on here to swallow.
Is this blaming Ski, XJ, Dustin, or JHop? We saw how bad we were in the CBI with Ski out so that can't be it. Maybe a combo of all four were bad for chemistry? I could agree with that, but it's not the only factor. The team would have been even worse last year without these players. I think it's a combination of Ski and Josh being our only consistent scoring options last year and Ski trying to do too much, along with Josh's back injury, the team's discipline issues, namely XJ, and conflicting personalities in the locker room.

We can't credit this year's turnaround (can't even call it that yet as it's been just two games) only on the lack of four players. Let's give credit to Scott who's healthy, Dom who looks like the top 100 player we expected, King who obviously put in work in his redshirt year, and the rest of the team for knowing their role and playing into it.

So no, it's not a hard pill to swallow.

Is this blaming Ski, XJ, Dustin, or JHop? We saw how bad we were in the CBI with Ski out so that can't be it. Maybe a combo of all four were bad for chemistry? I could agree with that, but it's not the only factor. The team would have been even worse last year without these players. I think it's a combination of Ski and Josh being our only consistent scoring options last year and Ski trying to do too much, along with Josh's back injury, the team's discipline issues, namely XJ, and conflicting personalities in the locker room.

We can't credit this year's turnaround (can't even call it that yet as it's been just two games) only on the lack of four players. Let's give credit to Scott who's healthy, Dom who looks like the top 100 player we expected, King who obviously put in work in his redshirt year, and the rest of the team for knowing their role and playing into it.

There's a litany of stuff from last year, as you pointed out.

There were also injury and discipline issues from Dom and Wes to throw into that mix.

2014-15 was a season of "whatever could go wrong did go wrong" for Tad's program.

That's a big reason I was confident heading into this season. I didn't believe it would happen again. Tad wasn't going to allow that to happen.

I've posted this in another thread... but everything I've heard is that XJ is almost certain (95%?) to take the redshirt this year and return next year. From people who would know.

Yes it's blaming chemistry issues, and personnel issues from last year. Ski created some of the issues with chemistry all on his own last year, from lack of leadership. But the other mentioned players XJ, DT, JHOP were part of the issue, not saying they don't have talent, but I don't think they blended at all with that team from a chemistry issue. Addition by subtraction has never been a more useful in describing this team, and I don't care if they win 5 more games all year......watching them struggle vs. Nebraska Omaha was better then any game played last year. It's a tough pill to swallow for a lot of the Ski apologists who had some idea that poor Ski deserved a better send off for his senior year, and that he wasn't 75% of the problem with last years team from several different angles....leadership being the number one issue.

Yes it's blaming chemistry issues, and personnel issues from last year. Ski created some of the issues with chemistry all on his own last year, from lack of leadership. But the other mentioned players XJ, DT, JHOP were part of the issue, not saying they don't have talent, but I don't think they blended at all with that team from a chemistry issue. Addition by subtraction has never been a more useful in describing this team, and I don't care if they win 5 more games all year......watching them struggle vs. ****braska Omaha was better then any game played last year. It's a tough pill to swallow for a lot of the Ski apologists who had some idea that poor Ski deserved a better send off for his senior year, and that he wasn't 75% of the problem with last years team from several different angles....leadership being the number one issue.

Ski gonna Ski. Everyone knew that and that he wasn't the guy to be the leader. A mentor at times and the senior who would have the ball in his hands while being the guy to work the refs. XJ is the guy who best fits the leader profile. But he didn't have the maturity last season. J40 has the respect and authority to lead, but he was injured most of the year. There were a lot of problems with leadership and the only way the leadership mantle falls on Ski is by a cascade of events that caused it to default to him. It's not who he is and I don't think it's fair to criticize a guy for failing at something he's not.

Ski was always a role guy who rose to big moments and played from the heart & the balls. He was also a lone wolf due to him being a different dude.

Are we better off with the "addition by subtraction"? Yes. Dustin fought J40's leadership. You can't have that. J-Hop refused to play defense and wanted to run 'n gun. Ski was an island unto himself. There were chemistry issues. But I don't like people saying that it's mostly on Ski when he was an integral part of good teams that fought hard for 3 years prior to last season. Obviously Ski was someone who could work into a good team chemistry -- he just wasn't the guy to be leading the locker room.

It's pretty apparent who King is modeling his game after, all the way down to the headband and chewing on the mouth guard constantly. Hey, I'm okay with the results.

I am hoping that XJ sitting on the bench watching the team play will bring him back focused like George King and Marcus Hall. For those of you who haven't seen a game live, XJ is actively involved at the breaks and during warmups. He is very engaged and encouraging his teammates. Great to see.

I am hoping that XJ sitting on the bench watching the team play will bring him back focused like George King and Marcus Hall. For those of you who haven't seen a game live, XJ is actively involved at the breaks and during warmups. He is very engaged and encouraging his teammates. Great to see.

That's something that both @Buffnik and @RumblinBuff pointed out during the UNO game. 'Nik also pointed out that XJ is now built like Karl Malone.

That's something that both @Buffnik and @RumblinBuff pointed out during the UNO game. 'Nik also pointed out that XJ is now built like Karl Malone.

6a0134865674e5970c019103caa9df970c-pi

M9mHyHlm_400x400.jpeg

Maybe you should d.m. him on twitter and ask if he can send you a photo of himself in short shorts, 'cause I can't find anything in google images.

Sitting front row tonight before the game with Dom and Scott. Not much you can't like about the Sr leader, the young PG and the hurt Sr sitting front row.

screen-shot-2015-11-25-at-10-22-38-pm-png.18147

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 10.22.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 10.22.38 PM.png
    742.6 KB · Views: 166
Alternatively titled "**** the haters".

It seems as if every year, my expectations for the team is lower than a majority of posters here. Usually, the actual is somewhere in between. So this is why I posted my "State of the Fanbase" thread last week - I wanted to see where I lined up with everyone heading in to this year. Surprisingly (at least to me), 63.9% of the posters that voted thought the team would be going to the NIT. Then I talked to Pachoops who said he thinks the Buffs finish 8th in the conference. Then I listened to the BuffStampede podcast previewing the year, and RK, Adam and Zisk all had the Buffs below 20 wins for the year. And Rumblin's preview yesterday didn't have us dancing.

You're all wrong.

buffalodance.gif

It's not going to be easy, and there's a decent chance that come March I'm going to look really stupid, but here are the four reasons I'm saying that we dance.

1.) The Josh's
We all know what Josh Scott can do. He put up 14.5 points and 8.4 rebounds per game last year on an ORtg of 127.1 (15th in the nation) while dealing with severe back issues all season. He put up 19.9 points and 10.6 rebounds a game in the month of March. It's a small sample size, but do you know what they call someone who does that? An All-American. It amazes me that he's not getting more All-Pac-12 love this pre-season. There's a lot of love for Jakob Poeltl - who deserves it - but not Josh. And this confuses me because Poeltl as a freshman put up 9.1 points and 6.8 boards a game on an ORtg of 109.9. Very solid numbers. Solid numbers that are comparable or slightly worse than the 10.2 points, 5.7 boards and ORtg of 111.1 that Jelly put up his freshman year.

On top of Josh Scott, we have Josh Fortune joining the team this year after his redshirt year. It's horrible to use scrimmages to evaluate guys, but I remember thinking after last year's scrimmage that Fortune might be the best player on the court. He's best known for his Big East conference tournament play that helped send the Friers to the dance in 2014, but he put up solid numbers all year. An ORtg of 101.1 isn't great, but it would have been one of the top 5 ratings on the Buffs last year. The big thing about Fortune though is his outside shooting. His eFG% of 52.9% in '14 would have been better than all of the guards on CU's team last year but one - Tre'Shaun Fletcher (who had a 53.1%). Fortune is a low usage guy who will fit in the offense better than Ski ever did, and will provide the outside shooting to open things up for Josh to work down low.

2.) Dom
There are a lot of nerves over the fact that Dom struggled with turnovers in the scrimmage and that he had 9 fouls in another one. I get it. But is anyone seriously convinced that Tad would have kept Dom that aggressive on D after he picked up 2 quick fouls in a real game? Dom is finding his legs right now. He came in as a top 100 recruit with a lot of expectations who had to share a backcourt with a pure gunner and dealt with injuries and suspensions to start the year. It's no wonder he didn't find his legs. He's had an entire training camp, and Tad is making him earn things this year. This is good. The kid has played on US National teams, I think he can handle this. We're still going to see some up and down from him, but a lot more up than down.

3.) "No Your Roll"

One of my favorite locker room stories (that doesn't involve Keith Closs, and no way in hell I'm posting any of those on the board) comes from the book "Seven Seconds Or Less", Alvin Gentry (a former coach at CU) tells the story from his time in Miami where the team was struggling and called a meeting. In this meeting, a player named Ladell Eckles stood up in front of the entire room, went up to the white board and wrote "No your roll" to motivate his teammates. All of them sat there before Glen Rice just said "Sit down, dumbass".

This year's Buff team will know their roles. There's no confusion. Last year, people wondered if it was Ski's team or if Josh or even XJ were going to be the leaders. The team was undergoing an identity crisis and focusing on offense instead of Tadball. This year, it's Josh's team. There are no questions. They're going to be a defensive squad who will win games 50-49. They're going to fight, they're going to claw. Everyone knows their roles, and they will be filling them. Players are at their best when they can just react and don't have to think. This year's team is set up for that.

4.) The Return of #TadBall
TadBall is boring. It's ugly. It makes the baby Jesus cry. But it wins. There has been no talk of offense in training camp, and I love it. I want us doing nothing but defensive drills in training camp and we can have a whole three offensive plays - all of which will involve Josh handling the ball in the post. 53-41, 63-62, 70-59 and 53-51. What do those scores have in common? Those were the scores from the 2012 Pac-12 Tournament games the Buffs played in. All were ugly, but all were fun.

Listen, it's going to be a long season. There is a very good chance that we start the season 0-2. But unlike last year, this year's team has the resiliency to overcome this. Like I said, there's a decent chance that come March people are bumping this to mock me - and I'm fine with that. Because dammit, I want to believe.

CU finishes 5th in the Pac-12 and gets a 10 seed.

Roll Mother****ing Tad.
5) give us the ball or we'll bite you

I know Tad doesn't want to compare this team to his first one, but CU has now scored 80+ pts in 7 straight games. Never been done before. This is a seriously potent offense, its on the level of that first one. Need to take more pride on defense and play with energy more consistently, but this team has the potential to be really special.

I know Tad doesn't want to compare this team to his first one, but CU has now scored 80+ pts in 7 straight games. Never been done before. This is a seriously potent offense, its on the level of that first one. Need to take more pride on defense and play with energy more consistently, but this team has the potential to be really special.

scoring is up across the board with the new shot clock. We are averaging 75 possessions per game while the 2010-2011 team averaged 71 (that team averaged 79 points per game) . Makes it really hard to compare teams unless you look at PPP or some other advanced metric.

scoring is up across the board with the new shot clock. We are averaging 75 possessions per game while the 2010-2011 team averaged 71 (that team averaged 79 points per game) . Makes it really hard to compare teams unless you look at PPP or some other advanced metric.

2011 Buffs - ORtg of 116.0 (9th in nation)
2016 Buffs - ORtg of 1007.4 (74th in nation)

This is the best offense we've had since that year, but it's actually not as much of an improvement as you'd think. I was surprised to look back and see that last year's team had an ORtg of 105.

2011 Buffs - ORtg of 116.0 (9th in nation)
2016 Buffs - ORtg of 1007.4 (74th in nation)

This is the best offense we've had since that year, but it's actually not as much of an improvement as you'd think. I was surprised to look back and see that last year's team had an ORtg of 105.

That is a pretty surprising comparison actually. That 2011 team would be averaging a ridiculous amount of pts with the new rules.

That is a pretty surprising comparison actually. That 2011 team would be averaging a ridiculous amount of pts with the new rules.

I was shocked too. I know 2011 was great, but I didn't think last year's team was so good on O.

I was shocked too. I know 2011 was great, but I didn't think last year's team was so good on O.

The O got a lot of blame last year, but the real problem was the defense. Defense is a pride thing. Its an effort thing. Too many possessions last year on the defensive end where certain players had neither.

Basketball isn't my thing, but I do get into CU hoops a little once football season is in the books.

Question: As we've debated with CU football, what is CU basketball's ceiling? As evidenced by recent history, I know CU can win the Pac 12 Tournament and even win a NCAA tournament game (maybe even two?), but what is the realistic ceiling of this program? Sweet 16? Elite 8? Maybe Final Four?

Basketball isn't my thing, but I do get into CU hoops a little once football season is in the books.

Question: As we've debated with CU football, what is CU basketball's ceiling? As evidenced by recent history, I know CU can win the Pac 12 Tournament and even win a NCAA tournament game (maybe even two?), but what is the realistic ceiling of this program? Sweet 16? Elite 8? Maybe Final Four?

I would say sweet 16 every 3-4 years if the program is running smoothly with a veteran team. Unfortunately I don't see recruiting being good enough to get past that.

For this team, this year? Or program overall?

This year is yet to be determined. Need to see how they play against conference opponents first. I had said before the season that NIT, but they are making me believers that they can make the NCAA again this year.

Overall, I think sweet 16 / elite 8 is what we could come to expect as a ceiling. That is until Tad proves he can recruit elite talent.

The O got a lot of blame last year, but the real problem was the defense. Defense is a pride thing. Its an effort thing. Too many possessions last year on the defensive end where certain players had neither.

Agree completely.

Could also argue that a good part of the offensive success this year is directly related to the defense.

It's much easier to play offense off turnovers and rebounds than it is taking the ball out of bounds, the defense doesn't get that extra step or two to get ready and often guys are still thinking about what they did to turn the ball over. When Tad's defense is working opponents possessions tend to be shorter which results in more offensive possessions.

Back