What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread for Portland?

Man crush on a guy Tad sent into retirement aside, isn't your entire theory that King would play better defense (and comparable to Gordon) based on the theory that more time = better defense utter speculation? Seems naive.

King will play defense based on him changing his mindset. He's always been a guy who rests on defense and avoids foul trouble to focus on his offense. First step, which I believe we're seeing, is that he is working hard to be a good rebounder. I saw some very positive signs in the last game. Next step is for him to find his guy, stay with him, use his help, and be a competent defender. I'm totally ok with him being the guy the Buffs put on the other team's worst scorer. He can guard enough positions to give some flexibility there and make it workable in consideration of what he brings on offense. But he can't be playing old school James Harden defense.

Man crush on a guy Tad sent into retirement aside, isn't your entire theory that King would play better defense (and comparable to Gordon) based on the theory that more time = better defense utter speculation? Seems naive.
Tad sent Mike Montgomery into retirement? Come on. You guys get your jimmies way too rustled when someone comes in and drops a hall of famer's opinion. I saw someone else offer up an opinion about King get personally attacked too. Just because it doesn't fit this message board's/Tad's narrative doesn't mean opinion is wrong and or worthy of personal attacks. Funny though.

King will play defense based on him changing his mindset. He's always been a guy who rests on defense and avoids foul trouble to focus on his offense. First step, which I believe we're seeing, is that he is working hard to be a good rebounder. I saw some very positive signs in the last game. Next step is for him to find his guy, stay with him, use his help, and be a competent defender. I'm totally ok with him being the guy the Buffs put on the other team's worst scorer. He can guard enough positions to give some flexibility there and make it workable in consideration of what he brings on offense. But he can't be playing old school James Harden defense.

Getting back on D, especially after his own made basket would be a really good first step as well.

Tad sent Mike Montgomery into retirement? Come on. You guys get your jimmies way too rustled when someone comes in and drops a hall of famer's opinion. I saw someone else offer up an opinion about King get personally attacked too. Just because it doesn't fit this message board's/Tad's narrative doesn't mean opinion is wrong and or worthy of personal attacks. Funny though.
It's a wise crack, live with it. I see you didn't offer support for your opinion or respond to the issues with your opinion and instead played the victim card. Why?

Woah victim card. No no no. I could care less. I felt bad for the other guy, that got attacked. It's like anything away from Tad's mindset is wrong. Just getting fed by what Tad says and gets reported. There are other perspectives out there. Mine is backed by my own eyes (which I actually worked on the CU staff and have been in coach's meetings) & what Mike Monty said. How can I prove that my concept may or may not be better if Tad doesn't even experiment with it. Its a theory based on skill sets on team, evolution of basketball, and altitude advantage we can play too.

It just doesn't make sense to bring in Wes off the bench. You're treating him like he's Kendrick Perkins, only out there to be a negative on offense and to absorb some fouls and occasionally pick up a rebound. He offers way more than that.

King has done a lot to earn a spot in the starting lineup. But so has Fletch and Fortune. As long as they understand they will get their minutes (they will) I don't have a problem with the lineups Tad is rolling with.

Woah victim card. No no no. I could care less. I felt bad for the other guy, that got attacked. It's like anything away from Tad's mindset is wrong. Just getting fed by what Tad says and gets reported. There are other perspectives out there. Mine is backed by my own eyes (which I actually worked on the CU staff and have been in coach's meetings) & what Mike Monty said. How can I prove that my concept may or may not be better if Tad doesn't even experiment with it. Its a theory based on skill sets on team, evolution of basketball, and altitude advantage we can play too.

When you were getting this valuable resume building experience did BZ ever experiment with things in practice that never made it to the court because they didn't work?

The two core tenants of Tadball are opponent shooting % and rebounding margin/half. It has been discussed at length why Tadball works at the college level.

With the team's lackluster perimeter defense, leading to more attempted shots closer to the hoop, which player on our roster do you think gives the team the best chance to still hit on those numbers?

Also, citing the Warriors as evidence for playing that style is laughable.

When you were getting this valuable resume building experience did BZ ever experiment with things in practice that never made it to the court because they didn't work?
Absolutely. Those were more far-fetched ideas though. This time of the year is meant for experimentation. As I said you guys have your opinions that's fine, but when you playing RPI 200+ teams, this is your chance to tinker. Tad Boyle is going to be forced most likely to play a SF (XJ) at the 4 next year anyways most likely, so not only is he potentially hurting team this year, but next year as well.

The two core tenants of Tadball are opponent shooting % and rebounding margin/half. It has been discussed at length why Tadball works at the college level.

With the team's lackluster perimeter defense, leading to more attempted shots closer to the hoop, which player on our roster do you think gives the team the best chance to still hit on those numbers?

Also, citing the Warriors as evidence for playing that style is laughable.
Its a shame that Pac-12 Networks employs a guy who makes such laughable comments. Even crazier that he was arguably one of most successful coaches of the conference we reside in. Even crazier that the guy has coached said team he compared to (GSW).

Absolutely. Those were more far-fetched ideas though. This time of the year is meant for experimentation. As I said you guys have your opinions that's fine, but when you playing RPI 200+ teams, this is your chance to tinker. Tad Boyle is going to be forced most likely to play a SF (XJ) at the 4 next year anyways most likely, so not only is he potentially hurting team this year, but next year as well.

So starting a guy that has played 3 good games out of position in favor of the teams best defender isn't a far fetched idea? And what if King plays poorly on offense for a game, according to your principles of basketball he'll likely give poor effort on the defensive end.

Every Thursday on Mile High Sports. Give it a listen you might learn a thing or two.

You should probably stop claiming BuffChips and Rivals on your twitter bio - then maybe we could get some of this knowledge you dispense on your radio show.

After that appreciate where you have come to post, we like Tad for the most part and many of us have a familiarity with basketball metrics that you are probably not used to. So if you are going to come on here and challenge, which you are welcome to do - please do a better job of it, back things up with a legit discussion, not "HoF coach said" or "i was the ball boy" CU has enough no-skill jock sniffers hanging on to the program - dont add yourself to the mix after the fact, --- ----- will object to you taking his spot.

Last edited:
Its a shame that Pac-12 Networks employs a guy who makes such laughable comments. Even crazier that he was arguably one of most successful coaches of the conference we reside in. Even crazier that the guy has coached said team he compared to (GSW).

You still didn't answer the question.

You are the one that cited GSW's 4 and 1 offense. Unless you are just repeating what someone else said and conceding that the basis for this argument is a single comment by someone you are making out to be the gospel of basketball. You can't compare the NBA to college basketball; there is far more spacing, skill, and far less impediment to the basket in the NBA.

You are the one that cited GSW's 4 and 1 offense. Unless you are just repeating what someone else said and conceding that the basis for this argument is a single comment by someone you are making out to be the gospel of basketball. You can't compare the NBA to college basketball; there is far more spacing, skill, and far less impediment to the basket in the NBA.

I think the 4&1 is something we'll see more next season for CU with XJ starting at the "4" and listed as a guard much like Dre was listed as a guard here.

But then the wing situation becomes even more crowded in terms of minutes and who starts.

1 - Dom
4 - XJ
5 - Wes

Leaving Fortune, Fletch, King and White all trying to get starter's minutes from the 2 other spots. King's probably going to need to keep working on his rebounding so he can play some of the XJ "4" spot... which I'd expect him to inherit and start at as a senior with Tory being the starting "5" in 2017-18.

Should be noted Monty never played that style (4&1) there he often went very big with Foyle and Murphy starting. Maybe he sees that as the reason he didnt have a very good run in GS, many though would argue he never wanted to be there, and wound up in GS basically out of sheer frustration with the Stanford AD.

Last edited:
I think the 4&1 is something we'll see more next season for CU with XJ starting at the "4" and listed as a guard much like Dre was listed as a guard here.

But then the wing situation becomes even more crowded in terms of minutes and who starts.

1 - Dom
4 - XJ
5 - Wes

Leaving Fortune, Fletch, King and White all trying to get starter's minutes from the 2 other spots. King's probably going to need to keep working on his rebounding so he can play some of the XJ "4" spot... which I'd expect him to inherit and start at as a senior with Tory being the starting "5" in 2017-18.

I would be happy to play a 4&1 this following year, especially with how the team will be constructed with Josh leaving and inserting White. I am envisioning a similar style to what we have seen from Villanova in previous years, a drive and kick offense that has the wings play and defend multiple positions. Maybe see more of that 3/4 court press that Tad has been experimenting with more these past couple games.

I am more hesitant to play that this year because I don't think it fits our personal. Further, comparing the buffs to one of the most unique rosters in the NBA playing in an offense that fits only that personnel and using it as evidence to play that style is flawed.

Back