What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's Basketball hosts Navy (Sunday, 12/9, 1:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to WBB as they face Navy in a matinee game tomorrow!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/12/8/womens-basketball-buffs-clash-with-midshipmen.aspx

"
BOULDER—The homestand for the University of Colorado women's basketball teams continues Sunday (1 p.m.). The Buffaloes will host Navy for the first time in the second of their seven-game stretch at the CU Events Center.

CU is coming off a 12-point victory over San Jose State on Thursday. Senior Kennedy Leonard scored 19 points and moved into 11th on CU's all-time scoring list (1,514). Sophomore Mya Hollingshed led the Buffs in points (24) and rebounds (11), recording her first career double-double. Freshman Peanut Tuitele rounded out CU's double-figure scorers with 17 points.

Navy comes to town fresh of its 54-47 win at Air Force. Jennifer Coleman led the team with 10 points in the win. The Midshipmen have won their last three games, improving to 4-3 on the season. Coleman is the team's leading scorer, averaging 13.7 points per game. Navy has done a good job of forcing turnovers this season. Its 14.0 steals per game rank fifth in the nation. Mids are 18th in the NCAA with 23.42 forced turnovers per game.

Promotions: It is Holidays at the CU Events Center. Get your picture taken with Santa Chip. There will also be fun kid activities in Chips Corral. We are taking donations of unwrapped toys, books or puzzles to benefit Share-A-Gift. We will also have a teddy bear toss at halftime.

Sunday's game will be streamed on Colorado Live Stream channel. Fans can listen to the Buffs all season long on AM 630 (KHOW).
"

Game notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/12/8/Navy.pdf

Media links -
Live video
(Free live stream) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live audio (Stream of the radio (AM 630) broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2246&type=Live

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Navy doing the job on the offensive boards but can’t hit the broad side of a barn. Buffs struggling at times breaking down Navy’s zone.

A couple of things really stood out in this game:
• Navy absolutely owned the glass when the shot collecting 23 offensive rebounds &
• Navy was about the worst shooting team I have seen in a long time.

Had Navy hit 35% instead of 23.7% from the floor and 55% from the line they may have won the game. And they would have done so with not a single player being P5 quality. The Buffs played a trapping zone the entire game. When Navy launched a shot they would often have a player slice to the basket and thus have a numerical advantage underneath. Even if the ball fell into the hands of a Buff if it wasn't caught cleanly Navy would end up with possession.

This team a has lot of improving to do and only two games to do so before Pac 12 play begins. They aren't close to being ready for conference play at this time.

My favorite shot of the game was Cameron Swartz's 3 point shot for her first points as a Buff.

Equally impressed with PNut.

Team needs a lot of work to do and not much time in which to do it.

Oregon got beat today by Michigan State. Gonzaga beat Stanford earlier in the week.

CU has played only Miami when it comes to ranked teams (I think). Both defense and offense has to improve

A couple of things really stood out in this game:
• Navy absolutely owned the glass when the shot collecting 23 offensive rebounds &
• Navy was about the worst shooting team I have seen in a long time.

Had Navy hit 35% instead of 23.7% from the floor and 55% from the line they may have won the game. And they would have done so with not a single player being P5 quality. The Buffs played a trapping zone the entire game. When Navy launched a shot they would often have a player slice to the basket and thus have a numerical advantage underneath. Even if the ball fell into the hands of a Buff if it wasn't caught cleanly Navy would end up with possession.

This team a has lot of improving to do and only two games to do so before Pac 12 play begins. They aren't close to being ready for conference play at this time.

You have to keep in mind that a lot of those OBoards were a result of incredibly bad shots that took crazy bounces. It’s challenging to play very unorthodox teams that do not play normal sets. I think your “not even close” statement is a bit strong.

My favorite shot of the game was Cameron Swartz's 3 point shot for her first points as a Buff.

Equally impressed with PNut.

Team needs a lot of work to do and not much time in which to do it.

Oregon got beat today by Michigan State. Gonzaga beat Stanford earlier in the week.

CU has played only Miami when it comes to ranked teams (I think). Both defense and offense has to improve

Buffs non-conference included North Carolina and Miami from P5 and 2 other post season teams. Buffs schedule in line with most of Pac-12 and stronger then Utah, Washington, Wash State, Arizona, USC and arguably OSU

You have to keep in mind that a lot of those OBoards were a result of incredibly bad shots that took crazy bounces. It’s challenging to play very unorthodox teams that do not play normal sets. I think your “not even close” statement is a bit strong.
Agree 100%. Airballs, missing the rim badly, crazy shots by Navy made it difficult to get rebounds. Rebounding position was almost meaningless when the shots were so poorly taken. Navy looked almost high school when it came to shooting. They were better in the second half.

The second half offense was bad. Too many turnovers and missed easy shots. Still worried about this team in conference

Article on today's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/12/9/womens-basketball-buffs-continue-wining-ways.aspx

"
BOULDER–The University of Colorado women's basketball team led from start to finish, defeating the United States Naval Academy 59-43 on Sunday. CU's strong start held up for the full 40 minutes, helping the team improve to 8-1 on the season.

Stat Leaders: Tuitele continued to impress for the Buffs. She hit double figures for the fourth consecutive contest, totaling a game-high 15 points. Tuitele added seven rebounds to her efforts. Mya Hollingshed secured her second career double-double, ending the afternoon with 11 points and 11 rebounds. Caylao-Do's scoring slowed in the second half as she finished with 11 points. Senior Kennedy Leonard closed with nine points and handed out nine assists, giving her 601 for her career.

Kolbi Green led the Midshipmen with 10 points off the bench.

How it Happened: The Buffs led from start to finish for the first time this season. CU's first-half defense held Navy to just 14 points, the fewest of any opponent this season. Colorado limited the Mids to just six field goals and a meager 19.4 shooting percentage in the first half.

Colorado's offense fed off its defense in the first 20 minutes. The Buffaloes built a comfortable cushion from the start. CU opened the game 7-for-12 (58.3 percent) from the field. The strong start was enough to keep the lead intact for all 40 minutes.

Key Statistic: Navy held CU off the glass, out-rebounding the Buffs 42-38. It is the second time Colorado has been outrebounded this season (at Miami). Colorado outscored Navy in second-chance points, 11-6, despite losing the rebounding battle. The Buffs entered the afternoon fourth in the Pac-12 in rebounds per game (42.4).

Notes: CU improves to 6-0 at home this season…Colorado shot 80.0 percent (4-5) from 3 in the first half…CU totaled 20 fast-break points, it's most since Colorado State (22)…Leonard is now 11 assists away from tying Bridget Turner for the school record (612).

Up Next: The Buffs return to the CU Events Center on Wednesday (Dec. 12), hosting Prairie View A&M.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
Head Coach JR Payne

Overall thoughts
"It was a tale of two halves again. I thought we shot the ball a lot better. The rebounding was something that I did not expect. I know they are a tough, tenacious team but I found out early that we need to get better at rebounding. We typically outrebound people and that is a strength for us. As we continue through our preseason we continually find areas that we are doing well and areas that we need to improve. Today was no different. Today was a good win against a very good basketball team that won 25 games last year and they are third in their league this year."

On Navy's rebounding
"I thought their pursuit of the basketball was more aggressive than ours. We were longer at most positions, but their pursuit and aggressiveness to secure that ball was tougher than ours. We are fully capable of being an outstanding rebounding team and we typically are."

On Kennedy Leonard's pursuit of the assists record
"It is not just that record, you can look throughout our record books and Kennedy's name is scattered in the top-5, and top-10 of every statistical category. Kennedy is one the best players to ever wear a Colorado uniform. The assist numbers are great and we love it. We will be ready for it when she passes it. As I have said before Kennedy is one of the hardest working basketball players that I have ever coached and I've coached a lot of really good basketball players. For all the kids out there, understand that it is hours and hours of work when nobody is watching."
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/12/9//Box_Score_Navy_at_Colorado_09_December_1_.pdf

Back