What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Game thread - Women's Basketball opens season hosting Northern Colorado (Tuesday, 11/6, 7:00 PM)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Best wishes to women's basketball as they start their season!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/4/...-host-northern-colorado-in-season-opener.aspx

"
BOULDER –The University of Colorado women's basketball team opens the 2018-19 season against Northern Colorado on Tuesday (7 p.m.) at the CU Events Center.

It will be the first time since 2016 that the Buffaloes open the season on their home court. Colorado defeated Northern Colorado, 83-62, in head coach JR Payne's first game.

Coach Payne got a good look at her squad in the Buffs' 93-43 exhibition win over Southern Nazarene last Monday. Sophomore Aubrey Knight led the way with 17 points. Seniors Alexis Robinson and Kennedy Leonard added 13 points apiece.

Colorado's roster is a mixture of youth and experience. CU returns four of its starting five from last season. Junior Quinessa Caylao-Do and sophomore Annika Jank combine with Robinson and Leonard in the starting rotation. The team has a youthful core, featuring nine underclassmen. Peyton Carter, Mya Hollingshed, Aubrey Knight and Jank all enter their second season at Colorado. CU will also mix in five new faces this season. Freshmen Cameron Swartz, Emma Clarke, Lesila Finau, Kai Volcy and Peanut Tuitele will all get action this season.

Tuesday's opener is the first of three straight home games for the Buffs. CU will take on Colorado State (Nov. 14) and North Carolina (Nov. 18). Colorado has nine non-conference games in all at the CU Event Center, only hitting the road for Thanksgiving and a trip to Miami (Fla.) in December.

Scouting Northern Colorado: The Bears made their first trip to the NCAA Tournament last season, winning the Big Sky Conference Tournament. UNC head coach Kamie Ethridge has since departed for Washington State and has been replaced by first-year head coach—and former Buff—Jenny Huth. The Bears have shortened roster with just 10 players at the start of the season. Senior Savannah Smith is their leading returner. She was both the Big Sky regular season and tournament MVP. She led the Big Sky last season with a 51.8 field goal percentage.
"

Game notes - https://cubuffs.com/documents/2018/11/4//Northern_Colorado.pdf

Media links -
Live video
(Free live stream) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live audio (Assume like in prior seasons a stream of the radio broadcast.) - https://cubuffs.com/watch/?Live=2238&type=Live

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wbball/summary

Not sure where to start. Buffs look uninspired and generally awful with perhaps the exception of rebounding.

Same issues as in past seasons- poor defending and too many turnovers.

Hope I'm not repeating the tweet above.

Was at the game. As I stated repeatedly above, it was an uninspired performance in all aspects. It looked like many games over the last several seasons with poor defending, too many turnovers and too much dependence on Kennedy.

On offense, Caylao-Do played a superb supporting role hitting multiple open treys. And Kennedy was her normal self, scoring in transition, on drives and from the line.

Outside of those two there was really nothing to get excited about on offense.

I did appreciate freshman Peanut Tuitele's play. She made a strong argument for a starting spot with her rebounding and hustle. She was CU's best forward.

CSU is up next in 8 days.

Not sure where to start. Buffs look uninspired and generally awful with perhaps the exception of rebounding.

Same issues as in past seasons- poor defending and too many turnovers.

I must have watched a different game. Played and beat an NCAA tournament team and won going away. Running a new offense so will take some time to adapt and master.

Article on yesterday's game-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/11/6/womens-basketball-buffs-battle-in-opening-night-win.aspx

"
BOULDER –The University of Colorado women's basketball team triumphed over Northern Colorado, 77-69, to open the season at the CU Events Center on Tuesday.

STAT LEADERS: Senior Kennedy Leonard led the Buffaloes with 30 points, one shy of her career-high. Junior Quinessa Caylao-Do did not miss from the floor until deep into the fourth quarter. She went 7-for-9 from the field, finishing with a career-high 23 points. Northern Colorado's Savannah Smith led all scorers with 32 points, hitting an opponent record eight 3-pointers.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado went to the line 41 times on the night. The Buffs converted 31 free-throw attempts, outscoring the Bears 31-6 from the stripe.

NOTES: Leonard hit three 3's moving her into 11th all-time with 134 career 3's…her 30 points giver her 1413, moving her into 12th on CU's all-time scoring list…Leonard tied her career high with 15 free throws…Caylao-Do set career-highs in points (23) and field goals made (7)…Tuitele recorded eight points and nine rebounds her collegiate debut…Colorado has won its last three home games dating back to last season.

UP NEXT: Colorado continues the homestand next Wednesday, hosting in-state rival Colorado State.

POSTGAME QUOTES:
Head Coach JR Payne

On overall thoughts
"Welcome to college basketball. That was a great game against a great team that has one of the best scorers maybe in the country—certainly in the western United States. We knew that they were going to be good. We knew they were going to be aggressive. We knew that they were experienced and that it would be a battle. We knew that and prepared for that. I am just really proud of our team and the way we competed down the stretch. For these guys to be able to manage the game without timeouts when we might have needed them. We did a great job and I am very proud of them. It is a great way to start the season against such a good basketball team."

On leaning on the veterans
"We have thirteen great players on our basketball team. We believe in every single one of them. We do not like to shorten the bench the way we had to this game. It just happened to be a tight game where we needed more experience on the floor. I hope we will not have to play like that all the time. I trust our players. We have some veterans on this team that have played tons and tons of minutes, have played in a lot of games and know how to control things when we need to. Down the stretch, we needed that experience. They gave us exactly what we needed."

On playing aggressively in the second half
"In the first half, we were aggressive in spurts. In the second half, when we watch the film we will see we were pretty aggressive for twenty minutes. That was the key. We felt like every time we were aggressive in the first half, good things happened. We went to the free throw line or collapsed the defense. We were more consistent with that and that turned out to be really good for us."

On shooting 41 free throws
"I felt like that was the most amount of free throws I have ever coached. The great thing is that we knocked down a high percentage of them. We were 31-of-41 for 76 percent. I am glad we got to the line and I am glad we knocked down free throws. Q [Quinessa Caylao-Do] and Ken [Kennedy Leonard] both hit free throws late in the game that were crucial. When it [the lead] was three, four, or five points we were able to make it six, seven, or eight-point games with our free throws."
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=12424

Highlights-

Press conference -

I didn't see a team that "won going away". Team has to play much better defense if they expect to win.

Ken is Ken and she will do her thing. She is an amazing basketball player.

Q has not been much of an offensive threat at CU. It was nice to see that she can hit baskets.

Mya is much stronger than last season. Peanut is going to be a good team.

Improvement is needed but I'm not throwing in the towel after one game. It's a brand new offense. Emma Clark has been playing the Australian National Team. Cam wasn't suited up. Who knows about other nagging injuries, illnesses, etc. that might be happening.

I like the faster pace of the offense. Just want to see more defense.

Jenny Huth is going to do a great job at UNC and last night's team did have their top scorer from an NCAA team. Smith is an excellent basketball player and very difficult to stop.

CSU has always been a tough game for the Buffs. Get to work and beat the Rams.

I watched a bit of the game last night. The team looked sloppy and young, which they probably are. I really liked Mya and Peanut at the high post low post combo. I think the team looked way better when they were pressing on D, I don't know why they don't press more

Don't discount UNC too much. While that team didn't have great athletes, Jenny can flat out coach and UNC will be a good team competing for their conference title again. Yes, even though they lost their three best players from last year.

Conversely, that says a bit of something about CU.

UNC may have lost 2 of their 3 best players from last year (I didn't check) but they surely did not lose their best player. #10, Savannah Smith is still with the team as a redshirt senior. Since she was the Big Sky conference player of the year last season, averaging18.4 ppg, I believe she was (and still is) UNC's best player. As JR said, once Smith is in the building, she is within her shooting range. And she showed that she needs very little space to put up her good-looking shot.

Back