What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #13/15 WOMEN'S BBall ends regular hosting Washington (Thurs., 2/29/24; 7:00 PM; Pac-12) & WSU (Sat., 1:00 PM; Pac-12)

🤮🤮🤮

Just yuck. February was a disaster month for this team. I was hoping March would bring better results. They are obviously trending in the wrong direction and they need to wake the fvck up before Vegas and the NCAA tourney begin. What is up with these 5+ minute scoring droughts in EVERY GAME?! I don't know what else to say...I'll always root for this team, and I still believe they can make noise in the tournaments but I won't be able to feel confident in any matchup going forward. This was an ugly loss, considering the circumstances. Very disappointing end to the regular season.

They’ve looked completely gassed at the end of the last few games. Can’t tell if that’s the fatigue of the season or a conditioning issue, but you can see them taking the easy way out on O and D repeatedly because of it.

I hope they can get that figured out and get the hunger back, it was playing hungry that made them a final 4 contender.
Yeah, I think it’s partly fatigue and partly conditioning. The conference has been brutally competitive at a very high level this year and the Buffs have gotten worn down.

One of my friends who was there wonders why Frida was on the bench so long. She was making her shots.

I just shake my head.

I am going to watch the halftime feature on Bellamy and delete this game.

One of my friends who was there wonders why Frida was on the bench so long. She was making her shots.

I just shake my head.

I am going to watch the halftime feature on Bellamy and delete this game.
Frida really struggled to play defense, I suspect that is why she wasn't in much.

I wasn't sure until today but the ladies are in serious trouble. A lot of standing around and watching. This was only the second game I've seen in person this year, but the offense looks completely different and is very easy to guard as everyone is just standing still.

Also, watch the team during time outs. Clearly a team struggling with how to handle adversity.

Just an observation and not a critique in any way, but does JR get mad, like really mad or excited in a way that gets her team to notice that they are sucking it up? She is a great coach, but always seems to be in a "It's OK, we are learning" mode, and maybe I have not coached women's sports, but even when I coached my club girls soccer games, you had to show some seriousness to get their attention.

I hope there is not some serious team dynamics that have not splintered them

Just an observation and not a critique in any way, but does JR get mad, like really mad or excited in a way that gets her team to notice that they are sucking it up? She is a great coach, but always seems to be in a "It's OK, we are learning" mode, and maybe I have not coached women's sports, but even when I coached my club girls soccer games, you had to show some seriousness to get their attention.

I hope there is not some serious team dynamics that have not splintered them
Is it possible they just got over confident and forgot that they had to continue to be a great team?

Is it possible they just got over confident and forgot that they had to continue to be a great team?
Overconfident, no confidence, whatever it is, there have been unbelievable stretches of bad basketball from a team that did so many good things to start the year. Nobody plays that many minutes, and beside Sherrod throwing any caution to the wind and putter her body on the line, there is nothing to hang your hat on right now. I am honestly surprised by the confidence in Wetta over Sandler during many moments in games because the other teams know Wetta is a 20% shooter most of the time, so let her dribble, and shoot, and double Vonleh and Miller and get up in the 3-point shooters.

One fatal flaw is a shot creator. Sherrod is an amazing game changing guard, but does not have shot making, Frida and Nolan are pure 3-point shooters, Vonleh is the most consistent and amazing player on this team, but is a post player, and Quay can get lost in many games somehow. Wetta and Sadler are utility players at best. No Juju or other type of shot maker, and teams know that and play us in a way that minimizes everyones abilities now.

JR needs to coach this bunch in a magical way

Overconfident, no confidence, whatever it is, there have been unbelievable stretches of bad basketball from a team that did so many good things to start the year. Nobody plays that many minutes, and beside Sherrod throwing any caution to the wind and putter her body on the line, there is nothing to hang your hat on right now. I am honestly surprised by the confidence in Wetta over Sandler during many moments in games because the other teams know Wetta is a 20% shooter most of the time, so let her dribble, and shoot, and double Vonleh and Miller and get up in the 3-point shooters.

One fatal flaw is a shot creator. Sherrod is an amazing game changing guard, but does not have shot making, Frida and Nolan are pure 3-point shooters, Vonleh is the most consistent and amazing player on this team, but is a post player, and Quay can get lost in many games somehow. Wetta and Sadler are utility players at best. No Juju or other type of shot maker, and teams know that and play us in a way that minimizes everyones abilities now.

Great summary and breakdown. Simply for Sherrod, I want them to find the fire and win the pac 12 tourney. She is one of the greatest Buffs in WBB history. I want her to have a championship.

My understanding has been that JR is not a screamer or yeller at the team. The defense and yelling are T's job.

The defense is lost, totally lost.

I am also not sure it was a good idea to have their banquet on the night between these two games. I'm thinking it was so parents and families of players could attend, but all the players heard were superlatives of how good they are. That's the nature of banquets.

I'm still shaking my head about what happened 3-4 weeks ago when the team got lost? Did the players have a big blow up? Why were the coaches not able to right the ship, even a little bit.

Jaylyn is the ultimate Buff and is one of the best we ever had. I want them to keep winning for her. She has a bright future ahead of her having earned a bachelor's and two master's degrees during her time at CU. I had forgotten she was 17 when she arrived. That was back in the days when she had so many turnovers in each game. Her game has improved so much. Sadly all of her talent will not get the recognition it deserves because of going 1-5 these past 3 weeks.

Spot on. My daughter continually wonders why Wetta gets so many minutes. Lazy defense and zero offense.

My understanding has been that JR is not a screamer or yeller at the team. The defense and yelling are T's job.

The defense is lost, totally lost.

I am also not sure it was a good idea to have their banquet on the night between these two games. I'm thinking it was so parents and families of players could attend, but all the players heard were superlatives of how good they are. That's the nature of banquets.

I'm still shaking my head about what happened 3-4 weeks ago when the team got lost? Did the players have a big blow up? Why were the coaches not able to right the ship, even a little bit.

Jaylyn is the ultimate Buff and is one of the best we ever had. I want them to keep winning for her. She has a bright future ahead of her having earned a bachelor's and two master's degrees during her time at CU. I had forgotten she was 17 when she arrived. That was back in the days when she had so many turnovers in each game. Her game has improved so much. Sadly all of her talent will not get the recognition it deserves because of going 1-5 these past 3 weeks.
Feels like a team chemistry issue. They all seemed to be together as one team before from what I could see. Now just feels like something is off.

Feels like a team chemistry issue. They all seemed to be together as one team before from what I could see. Now just feels like something is off.
Hype
Hope
Pressure
Leadership
Coaching
Go to scorer
The ultimate role player team, with no lead assassin
I cannot stand Juju Watkins vibe, but she is a spectacular player, can do everything

Juju Watkins can totally take over a game when she decides to. I fully expect her to break Clark's records as long as she stays healthy.

Sherrod is our leader and the team looks to her for leadership. I don't see a lot of leadership from anyone else. Need someone to step up for next season.

I do think Wetta is an excellent defensive player but isn't an offensive threat. During time outs at the end of the game yesterday, should have been switching Wetta and Formann out to play to their strengths.

Juju also shoots free throws very well. I think she went 19 for 19 against us. Frida is the best free throw shooter on the team but if she's not on the court it doesn't matter. Can't really count on the others to make free throws.

It's not the same team. I hear JR say they are tired on the radio interviews. They are no different than any other team in the country by this time of the season. They are all tired. They all have aches and pains. I don't here other coaches saying that.

Sara Rose hasn't been the same since her concussion. Sadly, that is not unusual for a player who gets a concussion. We don't seem to have had any other injuries among those who play.

I think Charlotte was better this season than her previous seasons. She has been through so much with her hip and all of her surgeries. I don't think she missed any time for injuries this season.

Last edited:
Spot on. My daughter continually wonders why Wetta gets so many minutes. Lazy defense and zero offense.

I won't stand for this Wetta slander. She is our best defender. LAZY?! GTFO.

“Kindyll Wetta is the best defender in America,” Payne said. “She is tough. She is fearless. She has cat-quick hands. She’s disruptive... She’s totally annoying on defense to her opponent.”

Granted, this quote is from January, after the USC home win, but it should answer your question regarding the amount of minutes Wetta gets. I'm sorry that you and your daughter aren't impressed...but she's the best we have. Offense...that's another story.

I won't stand for this Wetta slander. She is our best defender. LAZY?! GTFO.

“Kindyll Wetta is the best defender in America,” Payne said. “She is tough. She is fearless. She has cat-quick hands. She’s disruptive... She’s totally annoying on defense to her opponent.”

Granted, this quote is from January, after the USC home win, but it should answer your question regarding the amount of minutes Wetta gets. I'm sorry that you and your daughter aren't impressed...but she's the best we have. Offense...that's another story.
Wetta is a good defender, but is not that skilled at passing or scoring, literally a one tool player
I love love love watching this team play, went to two games live with my wife, and pull for every player to do well
What I am sad to see is a good story with good young players turning into only a good story, with not a great ending.
They are just not likely to advance very far in this current funk, and I pray they can turn it around and play like the they did against LSU, just let it rip

Back