What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- #24 Lacrosse hosts Oregon (Friday, 3/6, 2:00) and Coastal Carolina (Sunday, Noon)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Starting with what's forecast to be a BEAUTIFUL spring weather-like day on Friday, The Buffs are back home to face the Ducks in their 1st Pac 12 game of the season, followed by a non-con. tilt on Sunday against the Chanticleers.

Go Buffs!!!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/3/4/lacrosse-buffs-look-to-get-back-on-track-with-homestand.aspx

"
BOULDER — The University of Colorado lacrosse team will host Oregon and Coastal Carolina this week at Kittredge Field and will look to get back in the win column after starting the season 1-2.

The Buffs, who are ranked 24th in the latest IWLCA Division I Poll, will square off against Oregon (1-4) in the Pac-12 Opener this Friday, March 6, at 2 p.m. Then on Sunday, March 8, CU will face Coastal Carolina (2-1) in a non-conference tilt at 12 p.m.

Both games will be streamed at CUBuffs.com. Fans will also be able to access the live stream on Facebook.

ABOUT THE DUCKS: Oregon is 1-4 this season. The Ducks defeated Liberty 20-12 in the season opener, before falling in the next four contests, which includes a 21-7 loss at then-No. 10 Denver. UO has been out-scored 82-60 to start the campaign.
Three Ducks have 10 or more goals through five games. Shonly Wallace leads the team with 14 goals and has added four assists for a team-best 18 points. Hanna Hilcoff is second with 13 goals and four assists for 17 points. Lillian Stump ranks third on the team in goals (11) and is fourth in points (11). Jamie Level leads UO with seven assists in addition to nine goals for 16 points.
The Ducks have done well on the draw, recording 55.3%. Nationally they rank 11th, averaging 16.75 per game. Hilcoff is the Pac-12 leader in draw controls, as well as 14th in the NCAA, with 7.50 per game. Alle Dunbar has played every minute in goal for Oregon. She has allowed 16.40 goals against and has a 0.311 save percentage.

THE SERIES VS. OREGON: Colorado has never lost a meeting against Oregon and looks to continue the run on Friday. The two teams have played 10 times, five in Boulder, four in Eugene and once at a neutral site.

ABOUT THE CHANTICLEERS: Coastal Carolina, like the Buffs, has played three games this season but is 2-1 in those contests. CCU recorded two wins to start the season, against Old Dominion (12-8) and Campbell (14-13), before falling to Temple (7-12).
Samantha Courtemanche has averaged 4.33 points per game this season with a team-leading eight goals and five assists. Megan Bozzi ranks second on the team with five goals, while Megan Busch, Lyla Robinson and Lauren Cremen each have four goals this season. Robinson is also tied for Courtemanche with five assists.
The Chanticleers have recorded 10.00 draw controls per game and are led by Abby Cooper's 11. Megan Kilpatrick is second with 10. Regan McComb has allowed 11.00 goals per game while recording a 0.450 save percentage.

THE SERIES VS. COASTAL CAROLINA: This is the first meeting between the two schools.

UP NEXT: The Buffs hit the road for a pair of conference games against California (March 13) and No. 25 Stanford (March 15) in Northern California.

HOME GAME INFORMATION: All of Colorado's home games will be played at Kittredge Field. Admission is free, as is parking in Lot 416. Overflow parking is available in the RG lot on the north side of the CU Events Center.
"
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Media links:

For Both Games:
Games notes
- https://cubuffs.com/documents/2020/3/4//2020_Lacrosse_Notes_3_4.pdf

Live stats - https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wlax/summary

Live video (Free live stream) -
Vs. Oregon - https://pac-12.com/live/pac-12-plus

Vs. Coastal Carolina - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs
(The preview article also notes the games will be on Facebook, which I assume will be https://www.facebook.com/cubuffswlax/ .)

Buffs up 8-2 with ~14 minutes left in the 1st half. Timeout ducks. (Rudy already has her 3rd straight game with a hat trick.)

Never watched lacrosse before. I like it. Dont know the rules but fun to watch and we look good!

This one is looking pretty well in hand, but sure the coaches will want to see continued 100% effort. It's 16-3 Buffs with around 19 minutes left. Timeout Ducks.

Never watched lacrosse before. I like it. Dont know the rules but fun to watch and we look good!

Its a fun watch and CU plays a fun brand to watch. rules are a little odd but I started watching a couple years back and enjoy it. I think the coach is really good and seem to always get talent

Its a fun watch and CU plays a fun brand to watch. rules are a little odd but I started watching a couple years back and enjoy it. I think the coach is really good and seem to always get talent
Really enjoyed it. I will watch more for sure. Girls are tough and fun to watch. GO BUFFS!!

Article after yesterday's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/3/6/lacrosse-buffaloes-cruise-past-oregon-in-conference-opener.aspx

"
BOULDER – The 24th-ranked Colorado lacrosse team opened up Pac-12 Conference play with a 21-5 victory against Oregon on Friday afternoon at Kittredge Field.

"It's huge for us. It is our first conference game and every conference game is important for us and our goals this season," head coach Ann Elliott Whidden said. "So to come out here and to be able to bounce back is really important for this team and hopefully it will give us a little more confidence moving forward."

The impressive win comes after the Buffs suffered a 20-7 defeat at No. 14 Michigan on Feb. 23. In that contest, only four Buffs recorded a point, but Friday was a different story with 13 different players picking up at least one point. Charlie Rudy and Chloe Willard led CU with seven points apiece. Rudy scored four goals and had three assists, but it was Willard's day as she tallied a career-high five goals and added two assists.

CU had nine players combine for 21 goals, while eight combined for 14 assists. The 14 assists rank second in CU single-game history.

"For us to be successful, we need everyone playing together and doing their roles and helping each other out there," Whidden said. "I thought today defensively we did a good job of that. We were a lot more active down there on the defensive end which we need to be. Offensively, I thought we did a good job. We had a lot of assists today, a lot of different players contributing and that's huge for us moving forward. We need that."

Colorado improves to 2-2 with the win and starts conference play 1-0, while Oregon moves to 1-5 overall (0-1 Pac-12).

KEY STATISTICS: The Buffs played a well-rounded game, but one of the key places they saw success was in the draw circle. CU recorded 19 draw controls, 10 from Kate Burnside, while Oregon had just nine. Colorado also outshot the Ducks 40-12 and led in ground balls (21-10). The Buffaloes also played well on defense, holding UO to just nine shots on goal the entire game.

UP NEXT: Colorado will host Coastal Carolina on Sunday, March 8, at 12 p.m. here at Kittredge Field.

QUOTES:
Ann Elliott Whidden
On a win like this coming off a tough loss to Michigan

"I think it's huge for us, it is our first conference game and every conference game is important for us and our goals this season. So to come out here and to be able to bounce back is really important for this team and hopefully it will give us a little more confidence moving forward."

On the overall great team effort
"For us to be successful we need everyone playing together and doing their roles and helping each other out there. I thought today defensively we did a good job of that. We were a lot more active down there on the defensive end which we need to be. Offensively, I thought we did a good job. We had a lot of assists today, a lot of different players contributing and that's huge for us moving forward. We need that."

On Charlie Stepping Up Offensively
"I mean obviously Charlie is in her sophomore season and we are young on offense in general so I think Charlie just being a leader and really stepping up for us is huge for us to be successful this season. We have talked to her a lot about that and our other attackers, so to see her come out and play a really good game and execute much better than the first few games is good for us."

On Pearl's First Two Goals
"Definitely exciting. I think that we had a lot of players that got some time out there and obviously Pearl had a big role for us today and has been doing great in practice. So to see all of her hard work and commitment pay off from practice in a game is really exciting."

On the increase in assists and moving the ball better than in the past
"A big focus for us is just being more dynamic on offense. We have struggled a little bit this season here and there in terms of our offensive production so to see them come out and show that we can score a few different ways and have different players that can score is really important for us as we move forward."
"

And-
Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/stats/2020/oregon/boxscore/13396

Less than 2 hours until the Buffs' game against the Chanticleers begins, on what's forecast to be a beautiful early Sunday afternoon for some great lax.
(For those like me who either didn't know or forgot, a Chanticleer is, per the Coastal Carolina website (https://goccusports.com/sports/2018/5/24/trads-WhatisaChanticleer-html.aspx)-
"Chanticleer comes from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. More specifically, he comes from the Nun's Priest Tale, a story within Canterbury Tales. The Chanticleer is a proud and fierce rooster who dominates the barnyard. For the best description of Chanticleer, we turn to Chaucer's words. "For crowing there was not his equal in all the land. His voice was merrier than the merry organ that plays in church, and his crowing from his resting place was more trustworthy than a clock. His comb was redder than fine coral and turreted like a castle wall, his bill was black and shone like a jet, and his legs and toes were like azure. His nails were whiter than the lily and his feathers were like burnished gold." With all of his splendor and great looks, Chanticleer is also greatly feared and mightily respected by all....")

Go Buffs!

It's 3-1 early on in this game, with sophomore Charlie Rudy already with the hat trick.

Note that the streaming link in the original post (https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs) that is working for me and not the one in the tweet in my last post.

The Buffs just went up 7-4, leading to a timeout by CCU with ~9 minutes left in the 1st half.

Note- This game has been played VERY even overall and the Buffs are mainly up due to some great saves by senior goalie Julia Lisella; I'd say overall CCU has had MANY high quality shots, but she's just made some great saves on HIGH quality shots.

The Buffs' D tightened up STRONG, with ccu being held scoreless for 14+ minutes, and CU leads 10-5 heading into the half. (CCU did break that scoreless streak with 7 seconds left as they converted on a late Buff turnover.)

Sophomore Charlie Rudy recently scored her 8th goal of the game, which looks to have tied the Buff's individual game goal record (previously held alone by Miranda Stinson from last season). It's 14-7 Buffs with ~13 minutes left.

Timeout ccu with ~7-1/2 minutes left as the Buffs have gone up 10 (so running clock) 17-7

Article and highlights after today's win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2020/3/8/l...cord-as-buffs-take-down-coastal-carolina.aspx

"
BOULDER – University of Colorado sophomore Charlie Rudy recorded eight goals as the 24th-ranked Buffaloes defeated Coastal Carolina 19-8 on Sunday afternoon at Kittredge Field.

The eight goals ties a school record, which was first set by Miranda Stinson almost a year ago on March 10, 2019. Rudy's previous career-best had been five goals, which she did against Boston College on May 12, 2019, during the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

"For Charlie to step up for us on offense today was big with the way we were playing," head coach Ann Elliott Whidden said. "I thought she did a good job from the beginning, being aggressive, taking good opportunities, and finishing. At the same time we need to be able to play with and without her scoring eight goals and be successful. That is something we have to work at a little bit."

Rudy was not the only Buff to step up on Sunday as six other players scored goals. Chloe Willard found the back of the net four times and Zoe Lawless earned her second career hat-trick with three goals. Devon Bayer, Kasey Braun, Annika Nissen and Liz Phillips each had one goal apiece.

Colorado's defense limited CCU to just 20 shots and recorded nine caused turnovers. Rudy, along with Macaul Mellor, each recorded two caused turnovers. In goal, Julia Lisella stopped 10 shots, marking the fourth time this season she has recorded 10 or more saves.

"On the defensive side of the ball, when we are sticking to the game plan, being aggressive, and trusting each other, we are very successful," Whidden said. "When we play a little in between, we have a little trouble. I think we saw that a little bit in the first half. Luckily Julia came up with a bunch of saves for us to help."

The Buffs are now 3-2 this season, while CCU is 2-2.

KEY STATISTICS: Colorado put 30 of its 39 shots on goal and of those 30, 19 found the net (63.3%). CCU was limited to just 20 shots, 18 of which were on goal, and only eight got in the goal (44.4%). The Buffs recorded 19 of the 29 draw controls as Kate Burnside earned a career-best 13 to lead CU.

QUOTES:
Ann Elliott Whidden
On The Win

"It was obviously another good win for us at home. That is important as we continue to go. I thought we could have done a better job executing on defense in that first half. It took us a while to get into our game plan. Offensively, I thought we did a pretty good job but still in that second half I would have liked us to be able to execute and do some of the little things a little cleaner. We need to avoid some of our turnovers as we move forward if we want to be successful."

On The Defense
"On the defensive side of the ball, when we are sticking to the game plan, being aggressive, and trusting each other, we are very successful. When we play a little in between we have a little trouble. I think we saw that a little bit in the first half. Luckily Julia (Lisella) came up with a bunch of saves for us to help."

On Charlie Rudy
"For Charlie (Rudy) to step up for us on offense today was big with the way we were playing. I thought she did a good job from the beginning, being aggressive, taking good opportunities, and finishing. At the same time we need to be able to play with and without her scoring eight goals and be successful. That is something we have to work at a little bit."

On The Weekend
"The good thing here is we got some of our players playing time that are younger and that need experience. I think that was good experience. You have to have a tournament mentality when you go into these weekends and you have to win on Friday to get to Sunday, then you have to be able to execute on Sunday with little preparation. In order for us to be successful we need to be able to play on Sunday with one day to prepare. That is something this team needs to work on. I think this was a good test for us and shows us some of the areas we need to be better in."

Charlie Rudy
On Her Performance

"I think the offense was working really well together. I saw some open looks in the first half. In the second half they were face guarding me and the team was working hard to get me open. All over we were working well together and I was able to finish off some plays."

On Tying The Program Goal Record In A Game
"It feels pretty good. They are all great players. It is an honor to be up there with them."

On Getting Two Wins This Weekend
"It is great to be at home and get wins. Getting confidence at home, and now going on the road next weekend, built up a lot of confidence. We are ready to get the season going."
"
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/stats/2020/coastal-carolina/boxscore/13397

Highlights -

nice win. Charile with a big game. Funny hearing a coach saying they need to be more consistent on offense when they just scored 40 in two games. Grozier needs to be a consistent scorer imo but if they can sweep Cal and Stanford it will be a great start to the season

Back