What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S BBall hosts Utah (Sat., 2/24/24; 7:00 PM MT; Pac-12), Cal (Wed., 2/28, 6:00 PM; Pac-12) and Stanford (Sun., 7:00 PM; FS1)

I don't dislike Cody. In fact, I think he is a great kid and has a bright future, but I just don't thin he has brought anything to this team.
His best game, against our little brother, was a loss. Sure, he had a great half, but he was anemic in the first half.
There have abeen a lot of situations where great players didn't improve a team. In this situation, I think he is just young and needs more experience and we aren't going to get what we hoped out of him
Well, we're getting 14/3/2 out of a true freshman. And those ~averages were all better if you take away the Utah game where he could barely walk.

Well, we're getting 14/3/2 out of a true freshman. And those ~averages were all better if you take away the Utah game where he could barely walk.
Stats don't always equate wins.
I can name numerous players whose point totals didn't equal wins.
I'd be interested to know his +/-.

A stat similar to +/- is Win Shares. We can look at Win Shares per 40 (WS/40) because Win Shares is a cumulative stat and we want to adjust for how long a player is on the floor.

CU's top 7
KJ Simpson: 0.243
J'Vonne Hadley 0.170
Tristan Da Silva: 0.164
Cody Williams: 0.139
Luke O'Brian: 0.122
Eddie Lampkin: 0.111
Julian Hammond 0.092

This matches up with the eye test for me. KJ has been by far our best player. It might surprise some, but I think Hadley being consistently above average puts him above the highs and lows of Da Silva this season. I also think the top 5 WS/48 guys make up our best 5 man lineup.

Cody sits 4th but if I were to bet on which player was most likely to improve their WS/48 in the remaining games of the season it would be Cody because he is barely tapping into his skillset. That said, I wouldn't want it to come at the expense of taking the ball from KJ who should be running the show for 35 minutes every game to finish the season.

We would also look at BPM and Cody is 4th on the team there too.

Last edited:
I guess it's tough to say. But you can't justify not playing Cody Williams.

Anyhow, looks like we're 12-6 with Cody. 8-3 without Cody (if you count Grambling, Northern Colorado, Miami, and Utah Tech as actual D1 teams)

A stat similar to +/- is Win Shares. We can look at Win Shares per 40 (WS/40) because Win Shares is a cumulative stat and we want to adjust for how long a player is on the floor.

CU's top 7
KJ Simpson: 0.243
J'Vonne Hadley 0.170
Tristan Da Silva: 0.164
Cody Williams: 0.139
Luke O'Brian: 0.122
Eddie Lampkin: 0.111
Julian Hammond 0.092

This matches up with the eye test for me. KJ has been by far our best player. It might surprise some, but I think Hadley being consistently above average puts him above the highs and lows of Da Silva this season. I also think the top 5 WS/48 guys make up our best 5 man lineup.

Cody sits 4th but if I were to bet on which player was most likely to improve their WS/48 in the remaining games of the season it would be Cody because he is barely tapping into his skillset. That said, I wouldn't want it to come at the expense of taking the ball from KJ who should be running the show for 35 minutes every game to finish the season.

We would also look at BPM and Cody is 4th on the team there too.
That seems about right to me. If he was a 3-4 year player I would be excited to have him on the team and accept his downs knowing there will be a lot of ups in the future. Unfortunately we all know he's leaving after 1 year so we got the equivalent value of Luke Obrien, a 5th year non starter, for his 1 year here. Of course, we can all hope he finally puts it all together and puts this team on his shoulders and takes them to the sweet 16 or better and he will become a mythical figure in CU basketball history.

Bought tix to tomorrow’s game. Will be my two year old and 6 month’s old first ever CU basketball game! Sko
Do they still let kiddos that age in for free since they don't need their own seat?

That seems about right to me. If he was a 3-4 year player I would be excited to have him on the team and accept his downs knowing there will be a lot of ups in the future. Unfortunately we all know he's leaving after 1 year so we got the equivalent value of Luke Obrien, a 5th year non starter, for his 1 year here. Of course, we can all hope he finally puts it all together and puts this team on his shoulders and takes them to the sweet 16 or better and he will become a mythical figure in CU basketball history.
This was always supposed to be the thing with Cody. His recruiting ranking and draft projection both lean heavy on the upside/development, they're also helped by being in classes that lack the couple of absolute studs that most years have.

I'm not saying this season hasn't been mildly disappointing so far, but I think the misplaced expectations that Cody was going to come in and be significantly better than Kin was as a freshman has a lot to do with the feeling that this season has been a catastrophic disappointment.

Preview from cubuffs for tomorrow's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/2/mens-basketball-colorado-hosts-stanford-on-senior-night

"

Colorado Hosts Stanford On Senior Night​

By: Troy Andre, Associate Director/Athletic Communications

Game 29 - Stanford, Sunday, March 3, 2024
CU Events Center, Boulder, Colo.
Tip: 7:01 p.m. MT
TV: FS1 (Drew Goodman, Eldridge Recasner)
Watch Online: Fox Sports App, FoxSports.com
Radio: KOA 850 AM & 94.1 FM (Mark Johnson, Scott Wilke)
Satellite: Sirius XM 373 & SXM App (Pac12)
Listen Online: CUBuffs.com
Live Statistics: http://statb.us/b/483973

THE BUFFALOES: Colorado is 19-9 overall and in sole possession of fourth place in the Pac-12 Conference at 10-7, one game behind Oregon for the third spot. The Buffaloes have won three straight, coming off an 88-78 triumph over California on Feb. 28.

Colorado has clinched a .500 or better conference record for the 10th time in head coach Tad Boyle's 14 seasons. It's the ninth conference season in the Boyle era with double-figure wins.

WHAT'S ON THE LINE: Colorado controls its own destiny to finish in third place in the final Pac-12 standings. Three wins and CU would and be the No. 3 seed at the Pac-12 Tournament. While, as of Saturday, the Buffaloes could still mathematically catch Arizona and Washington State at the top of the league standings, they would lose any seeding scenario to those two teams.

One win would give Colorado its 14th 20-win campaign in 121 seasons, with 10 of those coming in the Tad Boyle era. A win on Sunday would give the Buffaloes 16 home wins and match the most in a regular season in team history joining the 2015-16 (16-1) and 2013-14 (16-2) teams and would be the second-most overall. The 2010-11 team won 18 games at the CU Events Center with three of those coming in the Postseason NIT.

Colorado has been spectacular at home, winning 15 of 16 contests. The Buffaloes have averaged 85.6 points while shooting 52 percent from the field and 43 percent from 3-point range. Colorado has outscored the opposition by 16.5 points per game at the CU Events Center while enjoying a rebounding margin of plus-8.7.

Overall, Colorado is one of the top all-around shooting teams in the country, ranking in the top 10 nationally in all three percentage categories: overall field goal, 3-point and free throws. The Buffaloes are sixth in the nation in overall shooting (.496) and 3-point percentage (.395) and 10th from the free throw line (789).

Colorado is the only program in NCAA Division I in the nation's top 10 of all three categories (through games of Feb. 29). Colorado also sports top 50 marks nationally in rebound margin (+7.6, 17th), free throws made (17.0 mpg, 19th), scoring (80.9 ppg, 34th), defensive rebounds (27.5 drpg, 36th), assists (16.1, 37th) and fouls per game (15.2, 47th).

Colorado leads the Pac-12 in all three shooting categories as well as rebounding defense (29.9 rpg) while ranking second in rebound margin and scoring margin, third in scoring, overall rebounding (37.5 rpg) and defensive boards and fourth in assists and 3-point defense (.333).

ABOUT THE CARDINAL: Stanford is 12-16 overall and in 10th place in the Pac-12 at 7-11. The Cardinal have lost their last five and seven of their last eight overall. Stanford averages 76.5 points per game while shooting 47 percent from the field. The Cardinal have the most 3-pointers in the Pac-12 at 9.1 made per game and rank second, behind Colorado, at 37.8 percent from beyond the arc. Defensively, Stanford allows 76.9 points while opponents shoot 45.3 percent, ranking last in the Pac-12.

Junior forward Maxime Raynaud leads Stanford at 15.1 points per game and ranks third in the Pac-12 in rebounding at 9.6 per contest. Senior forward Brandon Angel is second on the team in both categories pitching in 13.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game. Graduate guard Michael Jones averages 10.9 points and has a team-best 53 3-point field goals. Fifth-year senior Spencer Jones, who missed the Utah game, averages 10.9 points and 4.0 rebounds with 45 3-point field goals.

SERIES RECORDS: This will be the 31st meeting between Colorado and Stanford with the Buffaloes holding a 19-11 advantage. Colorado has dominated the series in the Pac-12 era having won 16 of 20, including the last six. The Buffaloes have won 12 of 15 all-time meetings in Boulder, including the last eight.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

And, a couple features by Pat Rooney / Buffzone on a couple of the seniors, which also in the notes section of the Da Silva article includes some general info like injury updates, a full list of the seniors being honored, etc. -
(Wanted to note that per Mr. Rooney, da Silva and O'Brien are the only senior PLAYERS being recognized during the Senior Day ceremony.)

Preview from cubuffs for tomorrow's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2024/3/2/mens-basketball-colorado-hosts-stanford-on-senior-night

"

Colorado Hosts Stanford On Senior Night​

By: Troy Andre, Associate Director/Athletic Communications

Game 29 - Stanford, Sunday, March 3, 2024
CU Events Center, Boulder, Colo.
Tip: 7:01 p.m. MT
TV: FS1 (Drew Goodman, Eldridge Recasner)
Watch Online: Fox Sports App, FoxSports.com
Radio: KOA 850 AM & 94.1 FM (Mark Johnson, Scott Wilke)
Satellite: Sirius XM 373 & SXM App (Pac12)
Listen Online: CUBuffs.com
Live Statistics: http://statb.us/b/483973

THE BUFFALOES: Colorado is 19-9 overall and in sole possession of fourth place in the Pac-12 Conference at 10-7, one game behind Oregon for the third spot. The Buffaloes have won three straight, coming off an 88-78 triumph over California on Feb. 28.

Colorado has clinched a .500 or better conference record for the 10th time in head coach Tad Boyle's 14 seasons. It's the ninth conference season in the Boyle era with double-figure wins.

WHAT'S ON THE LINE: Colorado controls its own destiny to finish in third place in the final Pac-12 standings. Three wins and CU would and be the No. 3 seed at the Pac-12 Tournament. While, as of Saturday, the Buffaloes could still mathematically catch Arizona and Washington State at the top of the league standings, they would lose any seeding scenario to those two teams.

One win would give Colorado its 14th 20-win campaign in 121 seasons, with 10 of those coming in the Tad Boyle era. A win on Sunday would give the Buffaloes 16 home wins and match the most in a regular season in team history joining the 2015-16 (16-1) and 2013-14 (16-2) teams and would be the second-most overall. The 2010-11 team won 18 games at the CU Events Center with three of those coming in the Postseason NIT.

Colorado has been spectacular at home, winning 15 of 16 contests. The Buffaloes have averaged 85.6 points while shooting 52 percent from the field and 43 percent from 3-point range. Colorado has outscored the opposition by 16.5 points per game at the CU Events Center while enjoying a rebounding margin of plus-8.7.

Overall, Colorado is one of the top all-around shooting teams in the country, ranking in the top 10 nationally in all three percentage categories: overall field goal, 3-point and free throws. The Buffaloes are sixth in the nation in overall shooting (.496) and 3-point percentage (.395) and 10th from the free throw line (789).

Colorado is the only program in NCAA Division I in the nation's top 10 of all three categories (through games of Feb. 29). Colorado also sports top 50 marks nationally in rebound margin (+7.6, 17th), free throws made (17.0 mpg, 19th), scoring (80.9 ppg, 34th), defensive rebounds (27.5 drpg, 36th), assists (16.1, 37th) and fouls per game (15.2, 47th).

Colorado leads the Pac-12 in all three shooting categories as well as rebounding defense (29.9 rpg) while ranking second in rebound margin and scoring margin, third in scoring, overall rebounding (37.5 rpg) and defensive boards and fourth in assists and 3-point defense (.333).

ABOUT THE CARDINAL: Stanford is 12-16 overall and in 10th place in the Pac-12 at 7-11. The Cardinal have lost their last five and seven of their last eight overall. Stanford averages 76.5 points per game while shooting 47 percent from the field. The Cardinal have the most 3-pointers in the Pac-12 at 9.1 made per game and rank second, behind Colorado, at 37.8 percent from beyond the arc. Defensively, Stanford allows 76.9 points while opponents shoot 45.3 percent, ranking last in the Pac-12.

Junior forward Maxime Raynaud leads Stanford at 15.1 points per game and ranks third in the Pac-12 in rebounding at 9.6 per contest. Senior forward Brandon Angel is second on the team in both categories pitching in 13.1 points and 4.7 rebounds per game. Graduate guard Michael Jones averages 10.9 points and has a team-best 53 3-point field goals. Fifth-year senior Spencer Jones, who missed the Utah game, averages 10.9 points and 4.0 rebounds with 45 3-point field goals.

SERIES RECORDS: This will be the 31st meeting between Colorado and Stanford with the Buffaloes holding a 19-11 advantage. Colorado has dominated the series in the Pac-12 era having won 16 of 20, including the last six. The Buffaloes have won 12 of 15 all-time meetings in Boulder, including the last eight.
"
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

And, a couple features by Pat Rooney / Buffzone on a couple of the seniors, which also in the notes section of the Da Silva article includes some general info like injury updates, a full list of the seniors being honored, etc. -
(Wanted to note that per Mr. Rooney, da Silva and O'Brien are the only senior PLAYERS being recognized during the Senior Day ceremony.)

Soooo, based on Rooney's report can we assume Lampkin and Hadley may exercise their Covid year?
Ncaa Football Please GIF by ESPN College Football

Soooo, based on Rooney's report can we assume Lampkin and Hadley may exercise their Covid year?
Would prefer Eddie move on and let Diop and Dak develop. Next year will be a losing record full of young player development in a tougher league

They’ve only been saying Tristan and Luke will be gone since the start of the year, so I feel like that possibility has always been open. Couple that with Doryan backing out of his commitment I wouldn’t be shocked if that was all connected.

If Cody, Tristan, and Luke leave and we have 3 commitments. That all lines up and then if we have a spring departure IE Joe transfer or KJ for the draft than we can try to take advantage of the transfer portal.

Would prefer Eddie move on and let Diop and Dak develop. Next year will be a losing record full of young player development in a tougher league
I disagree here. Dak and Dip are different players than Eddie and will play different roles next year. I do think Hammond needs to move on. Fragile, turnover prone and a liability on defense = the Big12 will absolutely eat him alive.

Reactions: GRM
An off-season goal has to be helping each of the 2 Ds put on 30 pounds of muscle.

I disagree here. Dak and Dip are different players than Eddie and will play different roles next year. I do think Hammond needs to move on. Fragile, turnover prone and a liability on defense = the Big12 will absolutely eat him alive.

Lama is right on here with Lampkin. Eddie may not be pretty at times, but if you have him come back with that size in the middle, he will have a role. On the fence about Hammond, but if we are thin, and do not have the guys (or just youth) to play behind him, I could see him come back and be incrementally better. The team needs 7-9 guys who can play. He cannot be as fragile.

Tad notes Stanford beat ucla and az, back to back. Had P12 games with 16, 19 3s.

Dangerous team despite their recent record

Tad notes Stanford beat ucla and az, back to back. Had P12 games with 16, 19 3s.

Dangerous team despite their recent record
If we jump on them early, I think they'll turtle tonight.

Back