What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- MEN'S BBALL on the road at USC (Thursday, 1/12/23, 7:00 PM MT; Pac 12 Network) & #7 UCLA (Saturday, 6:00 PM MT, Fox)

Lovering - awesome. Dude is the heart and soul of this team at the moment. Don't even try to come at me. He dictated the offense
I was thinking a lot about this last night. I feel like the offensive sets this year have been a lot better (especially recently). They were running some nice double screens last night. The execution this year is a lot crisper. Than I realized the difference is LL. He's the one getting a lot of that going.

This team has such extremes, individually and as a team. Performances changes from game to game and player to player. Players go from all conference to the weakest link. Loses to Grambling and beats Tenn. Tad has pulled all of his hair out.

For example, last night two extremes:
Lovering with his first double-double; played awesome. Hammond, with the two on one break and he doesn't pass and then charges; WTF.

If Lovering could get to 50+% on an elbow jumper then the offense becomes hard to guard. He is still able to provide spacing as a lob threat and good screen setter but that would really open up the floor.

This team has such extremes, individually and as a team. Performances changes from game to game and player to player. Players go from all conference to the weakest link. Loses to Grambling and beats Tenn. Tad has pulled all of his hair out.

For example, last night two extremes:
Lovering with his first double-double; played awesome. Hammond, with the two on one break and he doesn't pass and then charges; WTF.
RE: the Hammond play - He had a wide open LOB to the left of him the whole way. That play was unreal in the sheer HS JV level of it.

If Lovering could get to 50+% on an elbow jumper then the offense becomes hard to guard. He is still able to provide spacing as a lob threat and good screen setter but that would really open up the floor.
Agree. And so unfortunate LL lost half a season, our first half this year might have been better. Hopefully he can continue to build on his much improved rebounding and scoring,in addition to his steady D. Of course its just one game. UCLA game may be a big challenge 4 him. Side note, as mentioned several times itcontinues to be a huge puzzle why Hadley wont shoot an open 10-12'.

Agree. And so unfortunate LL lost half a season, our first half this year might have been better. Hopefully he can continue to build on his much improved rebounding and scoring,in addition to his steady D. Of course its just one game. UCLA game may be a big challenge 4 him. Side note, as mentioned several times itcontinues to be a huge puzzle why Hadley wont shoot an open 10-12'.
I feel like players avoiding mid-range jumpers is more endemic to the sport in general

Or the slow AF cross-over at the top of the key, like it was the first time he ever dribbled between-the-legs
This speaks to the point I made in my game notes. That works against UNC, S. Utah and hell, maybe even Oregon State. Against better players, not so much. He just ended up fumbling and unsure of what to do in the end. And it happens a lot with him against better teams.

I thought Lawson looked great last night. Night like yesterday are why it's funny to me when some people get worked up about Da Silva leaving early. There's an obvious problem with his consistency, imo, and he lacks that last bit of elite athleticism for his game to work against teams like USC. I have a feeling Jacquez is going to eat him alive.

KJ with a rough game, too. I don't want to keep harping on it, but man does Cody Williams theoretically solve a lot of problems

True. Matters for a big orchestrating from the high post. It opens up the court for cutters if the defender can't let Lawson have that jumper from inside the FT circle.
Right. And if LL makes those it opens up the option to head fake, hard dribble, and finish.

It just drives me nuts that in college, HS, AAU kids (and some coaches) think a mid-2 is a bad shot (and I think at those lower levels this is where this mentality starts). Look at Kenpom and compare it with Bball reference - generally these younger players aren't good enough shooters yet that you have to think either layup or three (*cough* Clifford). I'll die on this hill dangit: a 10-14 ft jumper IS a good shot.

EDIT: TDS and LOB do this too.

I thought Lawson looked great last night. Night like yesterday are why it's funny to me when some people get worked up about Da Silva leaving early. There's an obvious problem with his consistency, imo, and he lacks that last bit of elite athleticism for his game to work against teams like USC. I have a feeling Jacquez is going to eat him alive.

KJ with a rough game, too. I don't want to keep harping on it, but man does Cody Williams theoretically solve a lot of problems
I hope LOB starts over Clifford, and Tad puts him on Jaquez. That should be an interesting matchup

Right. And if LL makes those it opens up the option to head fake, hard dribble, and finish.

It just drives me nuts that in college, HS, AAU kids (and some coaches) think a mid-2 is a bad shot (and I think at those lower levels this is where this mentality starts). Look at Kenpom and compare it with Bball reference - generally these younger players aren't good enough shooters yet that you have to think either layup or three (*cough* Clifford). I'll die on this hill dangit: a 10-14 ft jumper IS a good shot.

EDIT: TDS and LOB do this too.
NBA Analytics being applied to lower level basketball is bad. Generally, since the line is closer, the math also works at high level college basketball. But it's so bad to see High school and even younger level teams jacking up 3 after 3 because the math says so. The math decidedly does not say so if you're only making 10% of those shots.

NBA Analytics being applied to lower level basketball is bad. Generally, since the line is closer, the math also works at high level college basketball. But it's so bad to see High school and even younger level teams jacking up 3 after 3 because the math says so. The math decidedly does not say so if you're only making 10% of those shots.
Rightly or wrongly, it has been. And while the NBA has gotten better at making more 3s while also taking more 3s, the NCAA has historically trended slightly worse at making 3s while taking more threes (as a % of FGA, accounting for the longer NBA game), to the point that college is barely above the 1/3 threshold. I would bet that if college players took even more 3s relative to FGA then 3P% would continue to dip to under 33%. Point being: take more 2s. The trade off is either the same or slightly better

Yep. Open shots within rhythm and flow from inside your range are never bad shots. Now, contested - especially fallback - midrange jumpers are bad shots unless you're MJ or Kobe and then there's no such thing as a bad shot.

To me, the reason for the loss came down to turnovers, live ball turnovers in particular. USC scored 20 points off TOs. Watching the game, too many were dduee to poor decisions. Dribbling into traffic or an ill-advised pass happened too often.

Hate Enfield and what really annoys me is I can't remember why! I remember a game where Tad wouldn't shake his slimy hand but why?

Hate Enfield and what really annoys me is I can't remember why! I remember a game where Tad wouldn't shake his slimy hand but why?
A college coach who wears a coordinating silk pocket 'flare' with his 3 -piece, is an F'ing peacock.

Did the schedulers realize we are on against an NFL playoff? A 6 o'clock start would have been better (I'm on EST) Maybe early afternoon

Last edited:
Preview for today's game - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/1/13/mens-basketball-colorado-faces-no-7-6-ucla-saturday.aspx

"
THE SEASON: Colorado is 11-7 overall and 3-4 in the Pac-12 Conference after falling to USC 68-61 on Jan. 12. The Buffaloes saw a two-game winning streak come to an end, but overall have won seven of their last nine overall.

Colorado has won at least one game on each of its last eight multi-game Pac-12 road trips and will need a win against a Top 10 UCLA team to keep that streak alive. The Buffaloes have dropped three of four Pac-12 road contests this season.

On the Pac-12 leaderboard, Colorado is second in steals (8.1 spg), offensive rebounds (11.5 orpg) and rebounding margin (+5.9), third in scoring (74.1 ppg) and turnover margin (+0.4), fourth in defensive rebounds (27.5 drpg) and overall rebounds (39.0 rpg) and fifth in field goal shooting (.454), 3-point percentage (.324), 3-pointers made (6.7 3mpg), assists (14.1 apg) and scoring margin (+7.4).

ABOUT THE BRUINS: No. 7 (AP) UCLA is 15-2 overall and leads the Pac-12 at 6-0. The Bruins are on a 12-game winning streak overall and are a perfect 10-0 at home this season. UCLA averages 77.2 points per game while shooting 48.0 percent from the field. The Bruins are the top 3-point shooting team in the Pac-12 at 37.1 percent. Defensively, UCLA allows a league-low 60.1 points per game. The Bruins also top the Pac-12 in steals (8.5 spg) and turnover margin (+6.9).

Senior Jaime Jaquez, Jr., leads UCLA at 16.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game while shooting 51 percent from the field. Jaylen Clark averages 14.0 points and leads the Pac-12 in steals at 2.6 per game. Tyger Campbell averages 13.5 points and is sixth in the Pac-12 in assists at 4.8 per game. David Singleton averages 10.4 points and shoots 47.4 percent from 3-point range.

SERIES RECORDS: This will be the 24th meeting between Colorado and UCLA with the Bruins holding a 16-7 advantage. UCLA swept the home and home last season and has won five of the last six overall. UCLA holds an 11-2 advantage in Los Angeles and has won the last three at Pauley Pavilion. Colorado's two wins in Los Angeles came in back-to-back seasons in 2018-19 and 2019-20.
"

Oregon just whipped Arizona. Gives me some confidence against UA. Arizona works through their post guys primarily, and they got pretty well shut down by Dante. Lovering obviously can defend the post.

Back