What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Games thread- Women's Basketball visits Arizona (Friday, 6:00 PM) and ASU (Sunday, 2:00 PM)

Will they ever be able to challenge for pac 12 title? The two recruits coming in next year should help no?

Sykobuff - well I know I don't know.

I mean think back a couple of years ago with the Buffs in the NCAA Women's tournament. Think back to when the Buffs were nationally ranked. Think back to upsetting Oregon State in the Pac-12 tournament. I'd have said then that we were close to competing. We've had huge upsets versus ranked Louisville, Kentucky etc. I'm not sure what this team needs to turn this program around.

If we're being honest couldn't we admit that Rick George has kind of accepted Tad Boyle's Pac-12 competitiveness, which is bordering on mid-placement mediocrity, as being good enough? I guess we'd settle for that in the women's program as well. USC just did rehiring a coach that had never lost more than 9 Pac-12 games in a season, but really wasn't promising to return USC to a Final Four team I don't think.

Our coaching staff is coaching their butts off, and our players are playing their tails off. Its just a tough conference, and right now that's not good enough. I'm just trying to enjoy the ride.

We might not compete for a Pac-12 title or many wins but we can watch how far up the All-Time CU Scoring list KL manages to climb while here. Peyton Carter has "welcome to the Pac-12" moments sometimes, but she also has moments that are jaw dropping. Mya will just be a treat to watch she is just so talented. Castro is just wired right and plays with a great competitive attitude. Bunn is just spectacularly talented, so much so that her hand quickness gets her in trouble defensively, and she picks up cheap fouls. However, she can athletically match up against just about ANY player, and in the Pac-12 that's incredible. Curtis is so fun to watch for what she brings in how she alters shots and changes the spacing on the floor. Jank looks like an all-timer, and Knight hopefully will continue to develop. I don't think Zoe Correal and Brecca Thomas had their CU careers work out the way they planned but I think we all appreciate what impeccable young women these two are, and the loyalty they've shown this program even when this program, at times, didn't always meet their expectations for their basketball experience.

I guess we have to ask ourselves, is it still fun to support the Buffs? I think so. I just can't imagine the difficult task of trying to rebuild a program in this conference let alone rebuild a program into being a competitive program competing for a Pac-12 title. I honestly can't see that right now, a regular season Pac-12 title. Maybe if Curtis, Bunn and Hollinshed were all Freshman I could. I think its time to enjoy the journey without focusing on the result, with this team.

Sykobuff - well I know I don't know.

I mean think back a couple of years ago with the Buffs in the NCAA Women's tournament. Think back to when the Buffs were nationally ranked. Think back to upsetting Oregon State in the Pac-12 tournament. I'd have said then that we were close to competing. We've had huge upsets versus ranked Louisville, Kentucky etc. I'm not sure what this team needs to turn this program around.

If we're being honest couldn't we admit that Rick George has kind of accepted Tad Boyle's Pac-12 competitiveness, which is bordering on mid-placement mediocrity, as being good enough? I guess we'd settle for that in the women's program as well. USC just did rehiring a coach that had never lost more than 9 Pac-12 games in a season, but really wasn't promising to return USC to a Final Four team I don't think.

Our coaching staff is coaching their butts off, and our players are playing their tails off. Its just a tough conference, and right now that's not good enough. I'm just trying to enjoy the ride.

We might not compete for a Pac-12 title or many wins but we can watch how far up the All-Time CU Scoring list KL manages to climb while here. Peyton Carter has "welcome to the Pac-12" moments sometimes, but she also has moments that are jaw dropping. Mya will just be a treat to watch she is just so talented. Castro is just wired right and plays with a great competitive attitude. Bunn is just spectacularly talented, so much so that her hand quickness gets her in trouble defensively, and she picks up cheap fouls. However, she can athletically match up against just about ANY player, and in the Pac-12 that's incredible. Curtis is so fun to watch for what she brings in how she alters shots and changes the spacing on the floor. Jank looks like an all-timer, and Knight hopefully will continue to develop. I don't think Zoe Correal and Brecca Thomas had their CU careers work out the way they planned but I think we all appreciate what impeccable young women these two are, and the loyalty they've shown this program even when this program, at times, didn't always meet their expectations for their basketball experience.

I guess we have to ask ourselves, is it still fun to support the Buffs? I think so. I just can't imagine the difficult task of trying to rebuild a program in this conference let alone rebuild a program into being a competitive program competing for a Pac-12 title. I honestly can't see that right now, a regular season Pac-12 title. Maybe if Curtis, Bunn and Hollinshed were all Freshman I could. I think its time to enjoy the journey without focusing on the result, with this team.

Wasn't being a jerk with my question, you make great points and go buffs.

Apparently so. I doubt there are many teams playing as many FR as us for as many minutes but let's play them even more and see how many games we can lose by 30-40 points.

All 5 starters return next season and your freshman nonstarters are getting significant and meaningful minutes. Again; WOW

The idea would be that our Buffs are getting torched on the perimeter and that KL is a special player, but we're not seeing that consistently when she plays 37 or 38 minutes. KL loses a step defensively, late in games when she gets tired. She has been a steals and rebounding machine (from the PG position) in the past, but is playing tired in many games.

The idea would be to dial KL back to around 32 minutes a game and give more minutes to Carter, Quinessa, Castro.

It doesn't make sense to sink so many minutes into Lexi and KL, over 32 minutes a game when this team is completely non-competitive in the Pac-12. We aren't getting better. Why sacrifice developing the young players and for what? Put the program first not individual players agendas regarding scoring averages.

It would have made no sense to no play KL and Lexi when they were freshman, and now it makes no sense to give them such long minutes. Arguably, I think KL will find her groove if JR doesn't overplay her. Her perimeter defense will improve with not playing empty all the time, and we should see more quickness and steals than we've been seeing with her playing 37/38 minutes a game.

No one is saying bench them outright, just balanced minutes. Let your junior class play leaders minutes, around 30-32 a game, but mix in the young players for the development of the program. We truly don't know what the ceiling is on Castro, Caylao-Do, or Carter and it accomplishes nothing to hinder their development chasing another 6-12 Pac-12 record.

JR Payne On Peyton Carter's performance
"Coming into this game, we knew what Peyton could give us. She exudes calm for a young kid, she doesn't get flustered and against Arizona State's defense. It's typically high pressure, so we knew if we needed it she could give us some calm. Kennedy was scoring the ball well early in the first half, so we thought we could bring Peyton in, keep the calm, move Ken over to the wing and it proved to be a pretty good thing for us offensively.

It made no sense to play Lex and KL as freshmen? One was first team All Freshman the other Honorable Mention. As far as production goes you may may want to do some research. KLs 2nd halfs particularly her q4s are her strongest from a production perspective historically.

It's been a tough road, but we've already been losing plenty of games by 30-40 points even with our junior backcourt in there. We are losing Zoe Correal and Brecca Thomas. We can't go into next season with a roster of players that have short game experience, save two. Roster needs more minutes all around.

I still think KL could be one of the best players in the country if JR Payne and Toriano switched to a Dribble Drive Motion system, where KL was constantly driving to the rim on the attack. I posted the "what if" thread about what New Mexico is doing with that system. New Mexico is on a different nationally relevant trajectory now, and KL was just born to run that system.

“Lost plenty of games by 30 -40 points”? They have 2 loses of 30+. 16 of 19 games have been wins and/or competitive. Stop with the Chicken Little stuff.

Buffballer have you ever notice how you are only ever been online within five to ten minutes of CUoldtimer? That you only logi when CUOldtimer logs off, then you almost instantly log in. Rarely have I ever seen you login without CUOldtimer logging in first, then off. Just saying. Interesting stuff.

Wow. For you to even think like that shows what a sick puppy you are. To think there are two fans that think sitting the two best scorers is weird is crazy, isn't it?

It's been a tough road, but we've already been losing plenty of games by 30-40 points even with our junior backcourt in there. We are losing Zoe Correal and Brecca Thomas. We can't go into next season with a roster of players that have short game experience, save two. Roster needs more minutes all around.

I still think KL could be one of the best players in the country if JR Payne and Toriano switched to a Dribble Drive Motion system, where KL was constantly driving to the rim on the attack. I posted the "what if" thread about what New Mexico is doing with that system. New Mexico is on a different nationally relevant trajectory now, and KL was just born to run that system.

The system is geared for the guards and she probably drove the lane 10-15 times tonight.

These freshmen are playing a ton. I'm not sure what games you have been watching. Robinson sits plenty btw. The team usually falls apart without Kennedy so she barely sits. I think they should sit her 2-3 min per half though.

It would have made no sense to no play KL and Lexi when they were freshman, and now it makes no sense to give them such long minutes.

No one is saying bench them outright, just balanced minutes. Let your junior class play leaders minutes, around 30-32 a game, but mix in the young players for the development of the program. We truly don't know what the ceiling is on Castro, Caylao-Do, or Carter and it accomplishes nothing to hinder their development chasing another 6-12 Pac-12 record.

"Coming into this game, we knew what Peyton could give us. She exudes calm for a young kid, she doesn't get flustered and against Arizona State's defense. It's typically high pressure, so we knew if we needed it she could give us some calm. Kennedy was scoring the ball well early in the first half, so we thought we could bring Peyton in, keep the calm, move Ken over to the wing and it proved to be a pretty good thing for us offensively.

It made no sense to play Lex and KL as freshmen? One was first team All Freshman the other Honorable Mention. As far as production goes you may may want to do some research. KLs 2nd halfs particularly her q4s are her strongest from a production perspective historically.

Fake news. Clearly I said it would have made no sense to NO[T] play KL and Lexi when they were freshman. I merely left off the "t" but it was clear what I was communicating. Representing anything else is just conflating and making crap up. Unless you want to explain what this means otherwise:

It would have made no sense to no play KL and Lexi when they were freshman

The only other PG on the roster our fab Juniors Freshman year was basically Brecca and she's more length challenged then diminutive Kennedy, and Kennedy isn't tall enough to be an effective Pac-12 defender, and really struggles at time with her shortness as it takes away her best asset, her aggressiveness driving to the basket. Too often Pac-12 defenders nullify KL's drives with defensive length, making her completely ineffective. Brecca isn't a viable full-time Pac-12 starter at PG. I've never believed a Pac-12 team needed a 5'5" starting PG. She's an energy role player off the bench. There was no alternative to playing KL and Lexi when they were freshman, both needed to play. Arguably, Lexi was the better PG by the recruiting services, but KL's aggressiveness masked a lot of separation and variance between the two, and the Buffs needed Lexi's outside shot even though she was probably the better pure point. The opportunity cost of letting Lexi play PG was also just too high, as you don't put your best players on the floor, you put your best TEAM: Lexi at PG makes Kennedy a diminutive wing completely ineffective on perimeter defense (as we've seen for three years), where at the two or Wing her low percentage perimeter shot doesn't create defensive attention thus losing the needed floor spacing. So actually playing Lexi at PG, even IF, and its a big big IF, she actually was the better pure PG, would have left Linda with a Buffs team that wasn't as good as the team was with KL at PG, and Lexi at the two, even IF Lexi was the better one. With the IF upgrade at the one, you completely lose any effectiveness at the two with KL. Both NEEDED to play, and to play a ton, because they were two of the best two players on the team, because it was a non-competitive team.

So just as it would have made no sense to no[t] play KL and Lexi when they were Freshman, it makes no sense to no[t] give significant minutes to Caylao-Do, Castro and Carter now. Unless you believe that Lexi and KL are just such singular talents that the entire focus of the CU Program should be to forego any player development and have a day of reckoning after next season with inexperienced players. What would that get us? What does getting KL and Lexi 30 shots combined get the Buffs? A ton of games where KL goes 3-13 and the expected points per attempt effectively take the Buffs out of the game against ranked Pac-12 teams that are averaging 1.2 points per attempt on better players/schemes. We just saw Lexi put up her career best in a losing effort. Sometimes, more shots by good players when playing against great teams and great players is a losing recipe. The Buffs need more shots by Buffs players with higher shooting percentages. That's just basic basketball coaching. It isn't the points per game, but the expected-points-per-attempt.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Sefo Liufau could have an incredible ceiling to grow into if an NFL team wants to develop him as a starter. He could potentially be a dynamic and capable backup in the NFL though. I don't think anyone is arguing that KL and Lexi have much more ceiling to give. They are still good players (at least for us, if not for Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, ASU, USC, Cal, UCLA etc.) These two have played their hearts out, and were put in a tough situation with an effectively non-competitive team, and asked to play significant minutes, and basically carry a bad team from Game 1 of their Freshman year. That was unfair to them, but they were good enough players to handle it. I just don't see the ceiling and upside. Immediately we saw the greatness and the limitations. KL hasn't improved sophomore year to junior, and against ASU we actually saw JR Payne give Peyton Carter the most minutes she's seen all year (23 I think). KL was actually moved to Wing where she could calm down a bit, and just try to contribute shooting on the perimeter and driving to the basket. However, the +/- is always going to be rough with her at off guard because of how many times per game a legitimate Pac-12 two guard is going to knock down a legitimate Pac-12 three point attempt in her face. Listing her at 5'8" in the program does not help her defend against twos in the Pac-12, let alone a Wing/combo three. Its tough not to be a turnstile for ANY perimeter defender in the Pac-12 and not have amazingly athletic and aggressive offensive players blow past you like a turnstile. The trick is to outscore them or funnel them to defensive help. You don't win games in basketball losing the +/-

There is no argument that can reasonably be made that letting KL play 37 minutes a night makes CU a better team. KL is exhausted, and has lost her defensive effectiveness (steals and rebounds just missing from the box score) and her already minus perimeter defense loses another step. KL is a better more effective player with fewer minutes! Fewer Turnovers! More Steals! More rebounds! Better shooting efficacy! CU is a better team with KL playing fewer minutes! No one is saying CU is a better team if KL is playing no minutes. CU doesn't have a player like Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, Pac-12 All-Tournament team, NCAA All-Regional team, ESPNW Freshman of the Year, US Basketball writers Freshman of the Year, Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu. However, almost every other Pac-12 team has a PG that is that almost that good if not better (Jordin Canada-UCLA, Kianna Smith-Cal, Minyon Moore-USC, Mikayla Pivec-Oregon State) KL can still be one of the best PG to ever play for the Buffs, and that still isn't good enough to compete in the Pac-12. These players are incredible women's basketball players. The Buffs have really been struggling with some of these inexplicable turnovers because opposing PGs don't have the same defensive limitations. As 630AM said on the broadcast, KL is trying to make the perfect pass and its leading to turnovers. She's pressing. Strangely, the Buffs were a better team when other players were running the point in the ASU game.

No one is saying that KL shouldn't play 30-32 minutes a night. No one is saying that KL shouldn't be the starting PG and heart and soul of this team. No one is saying that KL shouldn't be the scoring leader of this team. The only argument I think I've made is that KL's attempts need to balance with team attempts or the Buffs lose on paper due to expected-points-per-attempt. I've said that Caylao-Do's, Carter's and Castro's upside and potential is unknown. We know the potential of KL and Lexi. It's high, but its not competitive in the Pac-12. Those two can get the Buffs to the third round of the WNIT. They are good basketball players and that's an accomplishment. The problem is the Buffs won't even get to play in the WNIT this year, with a better team, because the Pac-12 is that good. The Buffs can't find six wins, still losing twelve other conference games, to finish with a winning record to qualify for an invite.

So what exactly is the reason to play Lexi and Kennedy long minutes, and NOT develop younger players, if they aren't good enough to win games in the Pac-12 and thus the team digs itself a bigger hole for next season and thereafter? No one said that Kennedy and Lexi shouldn't have played their FR and SO seasons, but can you imagine how bad this Buffs team would actually be if they hadn't played all those monster minutes the past two years? That is the mistake JR Payne is making IMO, in that she is throwing good minutes after bad, and the cost of playing KL (or Lexi) more than 30-32 minutes a night is that it sabotages the development of the program, it limits the actual effectiveness of KL competitively in the games, and it doesn't actually help CU win now. It only hinders CU winning in the future. The only thing it accomplishes is it drives KL's scoring average.

We've got to have something to cheer for. However, let's just be honest that long minutes by KL (over 30-32) a game means the Buffs give up more points in games due to diminishing defensive effectivness, and thus having a negative impact on +/- even if her Points Scored increases. I don't see ANY players on this Buffs team that are singularly that much better than just everyone else where the team goals and team/program development need to be put aside for individual goals. I don't believe JR Payne thinks that either. Which is why it begged the question as to why ~37 minutes per game.

Last edited:
The idea would be that our Buffs are getting torched on the perimeter and that KL is a special player, but we're not seeing that consistently when she plays 37 or 38 minutes. KL loses a step defensively, late in games when she gets tired. She has been a steals and rebounding machine (from the PG position) in the past, but is playing tired in many games.

The idea would be to dial KL back to around 32 minutes a game and give more minutes to Carter, Quinessa, Castro.

It doesn't make sense to sink so many minutes into Lexi and KL, over 32 minutes a game when this team is completely non-competitive in the Pac-12. We aren't getting better. Why sacrifice developing the young players and for what? Put the program first not individual players agendas regarding scoring averages.

It would have made no sense to no play KL and Lexi when they were freshman, and now it makes no sense to give them such long minutes. Arguably, I think KL will find her groove if JR doesn't overplay her. Her perimeter defense will improve with not playing empty all the time, and we should see more quickness and steals than we've been seeing with her playing 37/38 minutes a game.

Robinson probably averaged 25 min a game in PAC 12 play before tonight. Kennedy probably needs to get down to 34-35 min in close games and pulled out in blowouts just to save her legs. To act like these freshmen aren't getting enough time is wrong. The ones that get the most are those that the staff thinks can help down the road. That is Mya, Knight and now Carter. The first two look lost half the time but the staff is trying to develop them. Carter is a preferred walkon. She might end up starting her JR and SR years or she might be a backup. She doesn't have Kennedy's long arms or her quickness. Cayla-Do does well on pressure D and rebounding but her offense isn't there yet. I really hope both 2018 freshmen pan out and play right away to make this team go up another notch. We need that and everybody returning to be better. The freshmen need to kill it in the weight room.

Fake news. Clearly I said it would have made no sense to NO[T] play KL and Lexi when they were freshman. I merely left off the "t" but it was clear what I was communicating. Representing anything else is just conflating and making crap up. Unless you want to explain what this means otherwise:

The only other PG on the roster our fab Juniors Freshman year was basically Brecca and she's more length challenged then diminutive Kennedy, and Kennedy isn't tall enough to be an effective Pac-12 defender, and really struggles at time with her shortness as it takes away her best asset, her aggressiveness driving to the basket. Too often Pac-12 defenders nullify KL's drives with defensive length, making her completely ineffective. Brecca isn't a viable full-time Pac-12 starter at PG. I've never believed a Pac-12 team needed a 5'5" starting PG. She's an energy role player off the bench. There was no alternative to playing KL and Lexi when they were freshman, both needed to play. Arguably, Lexi was the better PG by the recruiting services, but KL's aggressiveness masked a lot of separation and variance between the two, and the Buffs needed Lexi's outside shot even though she was probably the better pure point. The opportunity cost of letting Lexi play PG was also just too high, as you don't put your best players on the floor, you put your best TEAM: Lexi at PG makes Kennedy a diminutive wing completely ineffective on perimeter defense (as we've seen for three years), where at the two or Wing her low percentage perimeter shot doesn't create defensive attention thus losing the needed floor spacing. So actually playing Lexi at PG, even IF, and its a big big IF, she actually was the better pure PG, would have left Linda with a Buffs team that wasn't as good as the team was with KL at PG, and Lexi at the two, even IF Lexi was the better one. With the IF upgrade at the one, you completely lose any effectiveness at the two with KL. Both NEEDED to play, and to play a ton, because they were two of the best two players on the team, because it was a non-competitive team.

So just as it would have made no sense to no[t] play KL and Lexi when they were Freshman, it makes no sense to no[t] give significant minutes to Caylao-Do, Castro and Carter now. Unless you believe that Lexi and KL are just such singular talents that the entire focus of the CU Program should be to forego any player development and have a day of reckoning after next season with inexperienced players. What would that get us? What does getting KL and Lexi 30 shots combined get the Buffs? A ton of games where KL goes 3-13 and the expected points per attempt effectively take the Buffs out of the game against ranked Pac-12 teams that are averaging 1.2 points per attempt on better players/schemes. We just saw Lexi put up her career best in a losing effort. Sometimes, more shots by good players when playing against great teams and great players is a losing recipe. The Buffs need more shots by Buffs players with higher shooting percentages. That's just basic basketball coaching. It isn't the points per game, but the expected-points-per-attempt.

I don't think anyone is arguing that Sefo Liufau still has an incredible ceiling to grow into if an NFL team wants to develop him as a starter. I don't think anyone is arguing that KL and Lexi have much more ceiling to give. These two have played their hearts out, and were put in a tough situation with an effectively non-competitive team, and asked to play significant minutes, and basically carry a bad team from Game 1 of their Freshman year. That was unfair to them, but they were good enough players to handle it. I just don't see the ceiling and upside. Immediately we saw the greatness and the limitations. KL hasn't improved sophomore year to junior, and against ASU we actually saw JR Payne give Peyton Carter the most minutes she's seen all year (23 I think). KL was actually moved to Wing where she could calm down a bit, and just try to contribute shooting on the perimeter and driving to the basket. However, the +/- is always going to be rough with her at off guard because of how many times per game a legitimate Pac-12 two guard is going to knock down a legitimate Pac-12 three point attempt in her face. Five foot eight does not defend the two in the Pac-12, let alone the Wing at a combo three. Its tough not to be a turnstile for ANY player in the Pac-12 and not have amazingly athletic and aggressive offensive player blow past you like a turnstile. The trick is to outscore them or funnel them to defensive help.

There is no argument that can reasonably be made that letting KL play 37 minutes a night makes CU a better team. KL is exhausted, and has lost her defensive effectiveness (missing steals from the box score) and her already minus perimeter defense loses another step. KL is a better player with fewer minutes! CU is a better team with KL playing fewer minutes. The Buffs have really been struggling with some of these inexplicable turnovers. As 630AM said on the broadcast, KL is trying to make the perfect pass and its leading to turnovers. She's pressing. The Buffs were a better team when other players were running the point in the ASU game.

No one is saying that KL shouldn't play 30-32 minutes a night. No one is saying that KL shouldn't be the starting PG and heart and soul of this team. No one is saying that KL shouldn't be the scoring leader of this team. The only argument I think I've made is that KL's attempts need to balance with team attempts or the Buffs lose on paper due to expected-points-per-attempt. I've said that Caylao-Do's, Carter's and Castro's upside and potential is unknown. We know the potential of KL and Lexi. It's high, but its not competitive in the Pac-12. Those two can get the Buffs to the third round of the WNIT. They are good basketball players and that's an accomplishment. The problem is the Buffs won't even get to play in the WNIT this year, with a better team, because the Pac-12 is that good. The Buffs can't find six wins, losing twelve other games, to finish with a winning record to qualify for an invite.

So what exactly is the reason to play Lexi and Kennedy long minutes, and NOT develop younger players, if they aren't good enough to win games in the Pac-12 and thus the team digs itself a bigger hole for next season and thereafter? No one said that Kennedy and Lexi shouldn't have played their FR and SO seasons, but can you imagine how bad this Buffs team would actually be if they hadn't played all those monster minutes the past two years? That is the mistake JR Payne is making IMO, in that she is throwing good minutes after bad, and the cost of playing KL (or Lexi) more than 30-32 minutes a night is that it sabotages the development of the program, it limits the actual effectiveness of KL competitively in the games, and it doesn't actually help CU win now. It only hinders CU winning in the future. The only thing it accomplishes is it drives KL's scoring average.

If that is what Kyle has paid Rick George for, and I don't know if he has, it would take a FOIA request to find out, then it is what it is. There is nothing wrong with letting a player chase stats. OJ Simpson chased yards on a bad Buffalo Bills team. Peyton Manning chased a completion record in a Super Bowl loss blowout.

We've got to have something to cheer for. However, let's just be honest that long minutes by KL (over 30-32) a game means the Buffs give up more points in games due to diminishing defensive effectivness, and thus having a negative impact on +/- even if her Points Scored increases. I don't see ANY players on this Buffs team that are singularly that much better than just everyone else where the team goals and team/program development need to be put aside for individual goals. I don't believe JR Payne thinks that either. Which is why it begged the question as to why ~37 minutes per game.

Wow. Take a breath. I'll try and answer your biggest question. Winning = better recruiting. You just can't tank it and show zero improvement and get HS kids interested in what you're selling. We needed to win Friday and we didn't. We had a chance to win tonight so we pressed by playing Kennedy and Robinson a lot because we have no other scorers with Bunn sitting at home. Cayla-Do started the game. She couldn't produce so they tried Carter and she played better so she stayed in. Castro showed Friday she isn't ready to help win a road game. This isn't some NBA team tanking for the lottery and clearing cap space to sign free agents. If you want to recruit players other power 5 teams want, you better keep showing improvement ON THE COURT. Also, you gave me a good laugh comparing Leonard and Robinson as PG's. I like Robinson as a SG but she is no PG.

The dumbest thing you posted was about Robinson having a career high vs AZ as a losing recipe for that game. She was the only reason we were in the game. Who do you think should've shot more vs AZ? Who are these players?

Also, Kennedy averaged about 15 shots a game last year and had a great year. Robinson needs to do the same. Bunn as well. You get the ball to your scorers. That's basic basketball at every level. Jank is the only other player to show any scoring ability but that was before league play.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone is arguing that Sefo Liufau could have an incredible ceiling to grow into if an NFL team wants to develop him as a starter. He could potentially be a dynamic and capable backup in the NFL though. I don't think anyone is arguing that KL and Lexi have much more ceiling to give. They are still good players (at least for us, if not for Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, ASU, USC, Cal, UCLA etc.) These two have played their hearts out, and were put in a tough situation with an effectively non-competitive team, and asked to play significant minutes, and basically carry a bad team from Game 1 of their Freshman year. That was unfair to them, but they were good enough players to handle it. I just don't see the ceiling and upside. Immediately we saw the greatness and the limitations. KL hasn't improved sophomore year to junior, and against ASU we actually saw JR Payne give Peyton Carter the most minutes she's seen all year (23 I think). KL was actually moved to Wing where she could calm down a bit, and just try to contribute shooting on the perimeter and driving to the basket. However, the +/- is always going to be rough with her at off guard because of how many times per game a legitimate Pac-12 two guard is going to knock down a legitimate Pac-12 three point attempt in her face. Listing her at 5'8" in the program does not help her defend against twos in the Pac-12, let alone a Wing/combo three. Its tough not to be a turnstile for ANY perimeter defender in the Pac-12 and not have amazingly athletic and aggressive offensive players blow past you like a turnstile. The trick is to outscore them or funnel them to defensive help. You don't win games in basketball losing the +/-

There is no argument that can reasonably be made that letting KL play 37 minutes a night makes CU a better team. KL is exhausted, and has lost her defensive effectiveness (steals and rebounds just missing from the box score) and her already minus perimeter defense loses another step. KL is a better more effective player with fewer minutes! Fewer Turnovers! More Steals! More rebounds! Better shooting efficacy! CU is a better team with KL playing fewer minutes! No one is saying CU is a better team if KL is playing no minutes. CU doesn't have a player like Pac-12 Freshman of the Year, Pac-12 All-Tournament team, NCAA All-Regional team, ESPNW Freshman of the Year, US Basketball writers Freshman of the Year, Oregon's Sabrina Ionescu. However, almost every other Pac-12 team has a PG that is that almost that good if not better (Jordin Canada-UCLA, Kianna Smith-Cal, Minyon Moore-USC, Mikayla Pivec-Oregon State) KL can still be one of the best PG to ever play for the Buffs, and that still isn't good enough to compete in the Pac-12. These players are incredible women's basketball players. The Buffs have really been struggling with some of these inexplicable turnovers because opposing PGs don't have the same defensive limitations. As 630AM said on the broadcast, KL is trying to make the perfect pass and its leading to turnovers. She's pressing. Strangely, the Buffs were a better team when other players were running the point in the ASU game.

No one is saying that KL shouldn't play 30-32 minutes a night. No one is saying that KL shouldn't be the starting PG and heart and soul of this team. No one is saying that KL shouldn't be the scoring leader of this team. The only argument I think I've made is that KL's attempts need to balance with team attempts or the Buffs lose on paper due to expected-points-per-attempt. I've said that Caylao-Do's, Carter's and Castro's upside and potential is unknown. We know the potential of KL and Lexi. It's high, but its not competitive in the Pac-12. Those two can get the Buffs to the third round of the WNIT. They are good basketball players and that's an accomplishment. The problem is the Buffs won't even get to play in the WNIT this year, with a better team, because the Pac-12 is that good. The Buffs can't find six wins, still losing twelve other conference games, to finish with a winning record to qualify for an invite.

If that is what Kyle has paid Rick George for, and I don't know if he has, it would take a FOIA request to find out, then it is what it is. There is nothing wrong with letting a player chase stats. OJ Simpson chased yards on a bad Buffalo Bills team. Peyton Manning chased a completion record in a Super Bowl loss blowout.

Wow. Exhausting and filled with so many false facts not even worth addressing. The same diatribe you’ve attacked KL with for 3 years. The only difference is that you change your name and that your assertions get more bizarre. KL was First Team PAC 12 both coaches and media yet not good enough to play in the conference according to you; those assertions affirm you have no credibility and that you have a personal issue with and a vendetta against Kennedy I’m not sure what your accusing Rick George of and who you are claiming paid him but Ill leave it to the Mods to address,

Last edited:
Seems to me that one of the problems is that this team is not great at creating shots for teammates. Kennedy has to create her own shots and create shots for everyone else. Too much is on her shoulders and I think it's killing her efficiency on offense. There are some other capable scorers and the freshmen show some promise, but I'd love to see some things happen to get her free for some easy looks. Just seems like she has to work way too hard this year.

Wow. Take a breath. I'll try and answer your biggest question. Winning = better recruiting. You just can't tank it and show zero improvement and get HS kids interested in what you're selling. We needed to win Friday and we didn't. We had a chance to win tonight so we pressed by playing Kennedy and Robinson a lot because we have no other scorers with Bunn sitting at home. Cayla-Do started the game. She couldn't produce so they tried Carter and she played better so she stayed in. Castro showed Friday she isn't ready to help win a road game. This isn't some NBA team tanking for the lottery and clearing cap space to sign free agents. If you want to recruit players other power 5 teams want, you better keep showing improvement ON THE COURT. Also, you gave me a good laugh comparing Leonard and Robinson as PG's. I like Robinson as a SG but she is no PG.

Interestingly, I watched most of the Buffs games that Lexi and KL have played in, under both coaches. The box score matches the eye test. There are a ton of games where Lexi would finish the game with 5 assists playing OFF THE BALL, while KL would have 7 Assists as PG. Same support players making the same cuts, same scheme, same minutes, same defenders. That was very common throughout their Freshman year. Look at the season totals for Assists and Turnovers. KL is a PG and absolutely dominates the ball compared to the touches and distribution opportunities Lexi gets playing off the ball. Yet the truth has always been there. The Buffs need KL and the Buffs need Lexi. Why is it sacrilege to recognize that Lexi actually may be the better PG? Certainly, Lexi isn't the same threat being aggressive driving to the basket, they have different offensive games, but she's actually always been the better distributor and makes her teammates around her better than KL does. That's just not KL's game, and that's okay. It wasn't Chucky's game either, and she was a great Buff too, just like KL.

The dumbest thing you posted was about Robinson having a career high vs AZ as a losing recipe for that game. She was the only reason we were in the game. Who do you think should've shot more vs AZ? Who are these players?

Also, Kennedy averaged about 15 shots a game last year and had a great year. Robinson needs to do the same. Bunn as well. You get the ball to your scorers. That's basic basketball at every level. Jank is the only other player to show any scoring ability but that was before league play.

Good basketball teams don't get the ball to their best players or their best scorers. Any basketball coach at any level understands that most of what you do schematically and offensively is to create spacing. There are times you get into bad looks to keep the defense honest. There are times you challenge the heart of the defense to keep them from just sitting back and playing to your tendencies. Good basketball teams have coaches that recognize that basketball is about expected-points-per-attempt. You don't win games having a player with a high Points Scored total. You win games outscoring the other team. Its about scoring efficiency and scoring effectiveness. If KL and Lexi are going to shoot 30 attempts per game the results will continue to look as they've looked. Pac-12 teams are going to finish games against CU by knocking down open outside shots, and those shooters are four and five star world class players. Pac-12 teams are going to have elite four and five star world class PGs that are distributing the ball to Forwards and Posts that are singularly exceptional WNBA level talent, getting a lot of high percentage looks by great athletic and talented players being defended by Buffs in foul trouble because she hasn't learned not to challenge every possession like its her last (Bunn), seeing a game moving too fast right now (Hollingshed), or hasn't yet realized how dynamically she completely changes attempts and where the shots are coming from (Curtis), we have Buffs that are just playing their guts out but are just too inexperienced and haven't had enough time in the weight room to actually matchup against some of these incredible Pac-12 elite women (Jank and Knight), we have Buffs that are just too injured to be effective or not in pain (Correal). So our opposing forwards, true centers, and post offensive players are going to have some effectiveness just due to the makeup of our bigs, and that's before world class, elite, WNBA level talent. So our guards can jack up shots and even have big nights, but our perimeter shooters and great aggressive driving guard will never be able to score point for point with Pac-12 teams.

KL and Lexi can not score pace with Borislava Hristova-Wazzou or Amber Melgoza-Wash. Let alone with Minyon Moore effectively distributing to very effective and a very balanced USC teammates. Or Jordin Canada-UCLA distributing to one of the best teams in the country. Or Sabrina Ionescu-Oregon distributing to one of the best teams in the country.

KL and Lexi struggle against the length and defensive pressure and intensity of ASU. KL and Lexi can't score at the same pace as the best scorers in the Pac-12, against the length of the Pac-12 defenders that match up with them. Our Buffs don't demand or deserve the same respect in floor spacing as the top ten teams in the Pac-12. Right now what Pac-12 team is afraid that Bunn, Knight, Jank, Hollingshed, Curtis, Diop, and Correal are going to beat them? Seriously? These ladies are balling, but the Pac-12 is just an impossible draw. Our players are playing their guts out. However, asking limited athletes playing superior athletes defending them to take "more" shots and carry the scoring load isn't going to be an effective or winning solution. KL and Lexi are two of the best recruits we've had in a while. I'd loved to have seen what they could do with three years with Jen Reese, Arielle Roberson, Jamie Swan. I'd love to see what Chucky and KL could do running the dribble drive skip together. However, we don't get that. We get our 3 star athletes playing spectacularly incredible 4/5 star athletes. Instead of asking them to have success doing what they can't do, I think we play effective basketball pounding the ball inside with our bigs that can actually be effective scoring, and can actually score with efficiency. The Buffs as a team shoot .418, because the game isn't about just giving more attempts to talented aggressive Guards. Its about expected-points-per-attempt not individual points scored.

Too often Buffs fans think a player is good because she put up 20 points a given night. A player is good if she makes everyone around her better, even when she isn't scoring. A player is good if she can contribute to the team without the ball. A player is good if she change the spacing on the floor with her perimeter offensive or interior defensive presence. A player isn't just good if she gets so many points on way too many attempts, and has a multitude of TOs and wasted possessions to get there.

A team is good when they can all come together, and the sum of the whole adds up to more than just the value of the parts. The Buffs have a great aggressive scoring guard. They have a good perimeter shooter in Lexi. It is not a winning recipe for those two to take 30+ shots a game. If and when they do, the Buffs will consistently and continually get blown out. They can't keep pace with expected-points-per-attempt with Pac-12 opponents athletes or schemes, and that is irrefutable.

Seems to me that one of the problems is that this team is not great at creating shots for teammates. Kennedy has to create her own shots and create shots for everyone else. Too much is on her shoulders and I think it's killing her efficiency on offense. There are some other capable scorers and the freshmen show some promise, but I'd love to see some things happen to get her free for some easy looks. Just seems like she has to work way too hard this year.

KL would be, singularly, one of the best players in the country, both offensively and defensively, in New Mexico's Mike Bradbury's AASAA "dribble drive" system. It would exactly give her exactly what you're talking about. She had over 10+ steals a night and put up nearly 30+ points a night and she'd get to the NCAAW tournament in probably every year of her career.

JR Payne turned down the New Mexico job, and he was their second choice. Interestingly, if he'd come to Colorado instead, I think Kennedy Leonard would be one of the dominant players in the Pac-12. Just feeding on transition passing lane pressure defense. In his system they constantly ATTACK offensively and defensively. The defensive pressure, leads to steals which leads to attacking the basket via the guard attacking the rim.

KL wouldn't just thrive under that system, she'd be a veritable superstar. You'd see her assists numbers skyrocket, and her ASST/TO ratios look spectacular. KL dumping to Curtis or Bunn on a "shot pass" to the opposing block in the Dribble Drive, off of KL's aggressive drive? Or KL skipping out to Lexi to knock down a perimeter three.

Yes please.

I think you are on to something. It’s been a unique year from a productivity perspective for Kennedy but I think there may be at least two reasons for it. I dug into her stats and some interesting findings
She’s averaging 1.4 pts per shot attempt by far the best of her career (1.05 prior) And by far the best on the team
Her shooting percent is .389 vs .362 career
FT % is a career best .769
3 point shooting is down by .046
FT attempts are 5 pg down by 1 vs last year
Her assists are at a career best 6.4 per game vs 5.2
Steals are 2pg equal to career result
TOs are at 3.5 pg even with career result

The biggest statistical difference is shots per game last year it was 16 this year 11. At 1.4 it’s per shot that’s a 7 ppg impact.

I’m seeing 3 things that may be creating the outcomes this year
*Staff has asked her to become more of a distributor (JR has said this) and we are getting more attempts from the post then prior years
*The lack of a consistent outside shooter has closed the driving lanes. Haley Smith
*pac 12 announcers said she’s been battling Plantar facsiitis all year. If that’s the case she’s a warrior and her productivity is all the more impressive

Last edited:
The books written in this thread are not leading to any kind of positive interaction. I can't read the BS past a few words.

I miss the days when I looked forward to discussion on this forum, not "I know everything" posts by someone who clearly knows little.

The potshots taken against Kennedy since her freshman year are not worth my time to read. Disappear troll.

I think you are on to something. It’s been a unique year from a productivity perspective for Kennedy but I think there may be at least two reasons for it. I dug into her stats and some interesting findings
She’s averaging 1.4 pts per shot attempt by far the best of her career (1.05 prior) And by far the best on the team
Her shooting percent is .389 vs .362 career
FT % is a career best .769
3 point shooting is down by .046
FT attempts are 5 pg down by 1 vs last year
Her assists are at a career best 6.4 per game vs 5.2
Steals are 2pg equal to career result
TOs are at 3.5 pg even with career result

The biggest statistical difference is shots per game last year it was 16 this year 11. At 1.4 it’s per shot that’s a 7 ppg impact.

I’m seeing 3 things that may be creating the outcomes this year
*Staff has asked her to become more of a distributor (JR has said this) and we are getting more attempts from the post then prior years
*The lack of a consistent outside shooter has closed the driving lanes. Haley Smith
*pac 12 announcers said she’s been battling Plantar facsiitis all year. If that’s the case she’s a warrior and her productivity is all the more impressive

My only problem with Kennedy this year is not shooting as much and some careless and costly turnovers. Also, 3 pointer needs to start hitting some.

KL would be, singularly, one of the best players in the country, both offensively and defensively, in New Mexico's Mike Bradbury's AASAA "dribble drive" system. It would exactly give her exactly what you're talking about. She had over 10+ steals a night and put up nearly 30+ points a night and she'd get to the NCAAW tournament in probably every year of her career.

JR Payne turned down the New Mexico job, and he was their second choice. Interestingly, if he'd come to Colorado instead, I think Kennedy Leonard would be one of the dominant players in the Pac-12. Just feeding on transition passing lane pressure defense. In his system they constantly ATTACK offensively and defensively. The defensive pressure, leads to steals which leads to attacking the basket via the guard attacking the rim.

KL wouldn't just thrive under that system, she'd be a veritable superstar. You'd see her assists numbers skyrocket, and her ASST/TO ratios look spectacular. KL dumping to Curtis or Bunn on a "shot pass" to the opposing block in the Dribble Drive, off of KL's aggressive drive? Or KL skipping out to Lexi to knock down a perimeter three.

Yes please.

Funny. We have been trying to pressure and trap and we get killed on D doing that. Do you know why? Because we don't have the players for that system right now anyway. You're nuts if you don't think KL doesn't do plenty of driving inside to either pass or try to convert a layup. I also don't think she would be a superstar in the PAC 12 no matter what O and D we ran. We don't have enough players that can score for her assists to go up much more and especially with Bunn out.

Interestingly, I watched most of the Buffs games that Lexi and KL have played in, under both coaches. The box score matches the eye test. There are a ton of games where Lexi would finish the game with 5 assists playing OFF THE BALL, while KL would have 7 Assists as PG. Same support players making the same cuts, same scheme, same minutes, same defenders. That was very common throughout their Freshman year. Look at the season totals for Assists and Turnovers. KL is a PG and absolutely dominates the ball compared to the touches and distribution opportunities Lexi gets playing off the ball. Yet the truth has always been there. The Buffs need KL and the Buffs need Lexi. Why is it sacrilege to recognize that Lexi actually may be the better PG? Certainly, Lexi isn't the same threat being aggressive driving to the basket, they have different offensive games, but she's actually always been the better distributor and makes her teammates around her better than KL does. That's just not KL's game, and that's okay. It wasn't Chucky's game either, and she was a great Buff too, just like KL.

Good basketball teams don't get the ball to their best players or their best scorers. Any basketball coach at any level understands that most of what you do schematically and offensively is to create spacing. There are times you get into bad looks to keep the defense honest. There are times you challenge the heart of the defense to keep them from just sitting back and playing to your tendencies. Good basketball teams have coaches that recognize that basketball is about expected-points-per-attempt. You don't win games having a player with a high Points Scored total. You win games outscoring the other team. Its about scoring efficiency and scoring effectiveness. If KL and Lexi are going to shoot 30 attempts per game the results will continue to look as they've looked. Pac-12 teams are going to finish games against CU by knocking down open outside shots, and those shooters are four and five star world class players. Pac-12 teams are going to have elite four and five star world class PGs that are distributing the ball to Forwards and Posts that are singularly exceptional WNBA level talent, getting a lot of high percentage looks by great athletic and talented players being defended by Buffs in foul trouble because she hasn't learned not to challenge every possession like its her last (Bunn), seeing a game moving too fast right now (Hollingshed), or hasn't yet realized how dynamically she completely changes attempts and where the shots are coming from (Curtis), we have Buffs that are just playing their guts out but are just too inexperienced and haven't had enough time in the weight room to actually matchup against some of these incredible Pac-12 elite women (Jank and Knight), we have Buffs that are just too injured to be effective or not in pain (Correal). So our opposing forwards, true centers, and post offensive players are going to have some effectiveness just due to the makeup of our bigs, and that's before world class, elite, WNBA level talent. So our guards can jack up shots and even have big nights, but our perimeter shooters and great aggressive driving guard will never be able to score point for point with Pac-12 teams.

KL and Lexi can not score pace with Borislava Hristova-Wazzou or Amber Melgoza-Wash. Let alone with Minyon Moore effectively distributing to very effective and a very balanced USC teammates. Or Jordin Canada-UCLA distributing to one of the best teams in the country. Or Sabrina Ionescu-Oregon distributing to one of the best teams in the country.

KL and Lexi struggle against the length and defensive pressure and intensity of ASU. KL and Lexi can't score at the same pace as the best scorers in the Pac-12, against the length of the Pac-12 defenders that match up with them. Our Buffs don't demand or deserve the same respect in floor spacing as the top ten teams in the Pac-12. Right now what Pac-12 team is afraid that Bunn, Knight, Jank, Hollingshed, Curtis, Diop, and Correal are going to beat them? Seriously? These ladies are balling, but the Pac-12 is just an impossible draw. Our players are playing their guts out. However, asking limited athletes playing superior athletes defending them to take "more" shots and carry the scoring load isn't going to be an effective or winning solution. KL and Lexi are two of the best recruits we've had in a while. I'd loved to have seen what they could do with three years with Jen Reese, Arielle Roberson, Jamie Swan. I'd love to see what Chucky and KL could do running the dribble drive skip together. However, we don't get that. We get our 3 star athletes playing spectacularly incredible 4/5 star athletes. Instead of asking them to have success doing what they can't do, I think we play effective basketball pounding the ball inside with our bigs that can actually be effective scoring, and can actually score with efficiency. The Buffs as a team shoot .418, because the game isn't about just giving more attempts to talented aggressive Guards. Its about expected-points-per-attempt not individual points scored.

Too often Buffs fans think a player is good because she put up 20 points a given night. A player is good if she makes everyone around her better, even when she isn't scoring. A player is good if she can contribute to the team without the ball. A player is good if she change the spacing on the floor with her perimeter offensive or interior defensive presence. A player isn't just good if she gets so many points on way too many attempts, and has a multitude of TOs and wasted possessions to get there.

A team is good when they can all come together, and the sum of the whole adds up to more than just the value of the parts. The Buffs have a great aggressive scoring guard. They have a good perimeter shooter in Lexi. It is not a winning recipe for those two to take 30+ shots a game. If and when they do, the Buffs will consistently and continually get blown out. They can't keep pace with expected-points-per-attempt with Pac-12 opponents athletes or schemes, and that is irrefutable.

Lexi doesn't have the personality or the aggressiveness to be a point guard. It's not even worth arguing. One of the problems is Lexi and Kennedy rarely shoot 30 times a game. Rarely do bunn, lexi and Kennedy get up to 40-45 shots a game. I think Kennedy and Lexi defer too much and the stats show that. Go look at the box scores on espn if you think they do. They are playing with Freshmen who are clearly not ready for PAC 12 play. None of the FR are ready including Jank. Cayla-Do has a very hard time scoring. They can only win with playing better D with less pressure/trapping and these 3 players taking over. They haven't done that to this point. Even doing that, they aren't going to win but a few PAC 12 games but that is their best chance to win.

We don't have anybody that has to be doubled except maybe when KL drives the lane. We only have two players that can shoot the 3 and that is our starting backcourt and Kennedy has been off most of the year. That may have to do with her feet problems. Bunn was giving us inside scoring but she is out for now. I really hope the freshmen help next year.

Last edited:
Back