What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Getting into a bowl at 5-7?

I don't like getting into a bowl with a losing record.......This is all about the extra practices.....which I think we gotta have. That list is anybody who could mathematically finish at 5-7. Illinois (barring an upset in Columbus next week) won't get there. Teams like Florida and Nebraska are probably at the point where they'd rather end their seasons than accept invites in that case. Not as far fetched as you might think.

The team with the highest APR in this case would go to the bowl game regardless of who that team is. If CU is that team, the Buffs will go bowling period.

5-7 team should never ma know e a bowl game. Here's an idea, get rid of 25% of these bowl games that bring little to no revenue to the schools and have 25 people in the stands.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...s-team-eligibility-tracker-for-2017-18-games/

Update on this. I want a bowl any way I can get it........that includes getting in with a 5-7 record.
Thanks for that link.

I went through a lot of time effort figuring out the below, but the tl:dr version is:
Colorado is not making a bowl at 5-7. Read on if you want to find out why.

There's still too much football to be played to be 100% certain, but after looking at the list of teams that are "two wins away from 6-6, with at least two games left to play" - which is also the same as "one win away from 5-7 with two games left to play," I think we need to prepare for NOT being bowl eligible if we end at 5-7.

Actually, I'm confident enough to make the call now: we will not go to a bowl at 5-7.

There are 19 bowl game spots left. We are currently at 15th on the list. The only way we move up is by winning (basically, we can't move up by teams above us losing). The only way we can move down is by other teams winning, we don't move down if we lose.

If any of these teams win a single game, we move down. If 5 of them win a single game, we're out. I put their remaining schedule after them.
UTSA: Marshall, @ LaTech
Ark State: @ TxState, @ La-Monroe, Troy
WKy: MTSU, @ FIU
Akron: Kent State
Texas Tech: @ TCU, Texas
Tulane: Houston, @ SMU
Syracuse: @ Louisville, Boston College
Pitt: @ VaTech, Miami
Duke: GaTech, Wake
Rutgers: @ Indiana, MSU
Maryland: @ MSU, PSU
Indiana: Rutgers, @ Purdue
Purdue: @ Iowa, Indiana
Air Force: @ Boise, Utah State
Tennessee: LSU, Vandy
Vanderbilt: Mizzou, @ Tennessee
Miami(OH): @ Ball State

If any of these teams wins 2 games, we also move down:
UCONN: Boston College, @ Cincinnati
Cincinnati: ECU, UCONN
ODU: Rice, @ MTSU
LaTech: @ UTEP, UTSA
Fla: UAB, FSU
Louisiana: NMSU, GaSo, @ App
La Monroe: @ Auburn, Ark State, @ FSU
South Alabama: @ GaSo, @ NMSU
NMSU: @ ULL, Idaho, South Alabama

If either of these teams wins 3 games, they move ahead of us:
FSU: DSU, @ Fla, ULM
Idaho: CCU, @ NMSU, @ GaState

Between Rutgers, Indiana and Purdue, we have a guaranteed one that will move us down, but it could be 2 or even 3. Between Tennessee and Vandy, we also have a guaranteed 1 that will move us down.

After those guaranteed two, we have to have everything go right in 48 out of 50 games. Ain't gonna happen.

If we end at 5-7, we'll be on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link.

I went through a lot of time effort figuring out the below, but the tl:dr version is:
Colorado is not making a bowl at 5-7. Read on if you want to find out why.

There's still too much football to be played to be 100% certain, but after looking at the list of teams that are "two wins away from 6-6, with at least two games left to play" - which is also the same as "one win away from 5-7 with two games left to play," I think we need to prepare for NOT being bowl eligible if we end at 5-7.

Actually, I'm confident enough to make the call now: we will not go to a bowl at 5-7.

There are 19 bowl game spots left. We are currently at 15th on the list. The only way we move up is by winning (basically, we can't move up by teams above us losing). The only way we can move down is by other teams winning, we don't move down if we lose.

If any of these teams win a single game, we move down. If 5 of them win a single game, we're out. I put their remaining schedule after them.
UTSA: Marshall, @ LaTech
Ark State: @ TxState, @ La-Monroe, Troy
WKy: MTSU, @ FIU
Akron: Kent State
Texas Tech: @ TCU, Texas
Tulane: Houston, @ SMU
Syracuse: @ Louisville, Boston College
Pitt: @ VaTech, Miami
Duke: GaTech, Wake
Rutgers: @ Indiana, MSU
Maryland: @ MSU, PSU
Indiana: Rutgers, @ Purdue
Purdue: @ Iowa, Indiana
Air Force: @ Boise, Utah State
Tennessee: LSU, Vandy
Vanderbilt: Mizzou, @ Tennessee
Miami(OH): @ Ball State

If any of these teams wins 2 games, we also move down:
UCONN: Boston College, @ Cincinnati
Cincinnati: ECU, UCONN
ODU: Rice, @ MTSU
LaTech: @ UTEP, UTSA
Fla: UAB, FSU
Louisiana: NMSU, GaSo, @ App
La Monroe: @ Auburn, Ark State, @ FSU
South Alabama: @ GaSo, @ NMSU
NMSU: @ ULL, Idaho, South Alabama

If either of these teams wins 3 games, they move ahead of us:
FSU: DSU, @ Fla, ULM
Idaho: CCU, @ NMSU, @ GaState

Between Rutgers, Indiana and Purdue, we have a guaranteed one that will move us down, but it could be 2 or even 3. Between Tennessee and Vandy, we also have a guaranteed 1 that will move us down.

After those guaranteed two, we have to have everything go right in 48 out of 50 games. Ain't gonna happen.

If we end at 5-7, we'll be on the outside looking in.

Fair-let's beat Utah and not have this become an issue.

Utah has a really high APR. Maybe we could just agree to beat them, and they'll still make a bowl game at 5-7. Doesn't that help the PAC12 as a whole? Come on Utah, think about your conference!

Utah has a really high APR. Maybe we could just agree to beat them, and they'll still make a bowl game at 5-7. Doesn't that help the PAC12 as a whole? Come on Utah, think about your conference!
They just need to win tomorrow then lose to us next week. Best outcome for everyone!

Fair-let's beat Utah and not have this become an issue.
tenor.gif

This year there will be a few 5-6 teams who cancelled a game due to the hurricane. Would they get preference over the 5-7 teams or is the win total all that matters?

While I like rewarding APR, this is such a small incentive in the grand scheme of things. I know if I was managing a bowl game I'd like to be able to pick from among all of the eligible teams and drive my ratings with a team like Florida State at 5-6.

Back