What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Grading Mel Tucker - First Season

What grade do you give Mel in his first season?

• A

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • A-

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • B+

Votes: 38 18.5%
  • B

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • B-

Votes: 35 17.1%
  • C+

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • C

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • C-

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • D

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
C students don’t go to college, Juco maybe. You guys giving out C grades to Tucker should be screaming from the mountaintops (or foothills) to FIRE Tucker immediately.

Not all of us attended schools where everyone (was told he) was above-average.

C students don’t go to college, Juco maybe. You guys giving out C grades to Tucker should be screaming from the mountaintops (or foothills) to FIRE Tucker immediately.

You just equated a P12 head coaching job with graduating high school.

In business parlance, think of my C+ as a “Meets and sometimes exceeds” job review. Not an underperform, doesn’t meet, nor far exceed. He gets to stay and grow from his year zero.

Cs get degrees.

Quite a few people averaged Cs for entire semesters and even years, and still went on to get degrees and have great careers.

A lot of those C semesters happened during freshmen years.

I don't think Tucker deserves to be fired. You should at least give him two years before firing him.

I gave him a C...The problem is your too dumbed down to CU football to know any better. OR you are young OR have forgotten. The only reason he didn't get a D is he beat csu and knu. He passed. He gets a pass. The cupboard was not near as bare as when Embree left thats for damn sure. There was plenty to work with BUT I understand he needs to get his guys in here and coach them up. Just improve. But there were some f*cked up weeks that left me scratching my head.

I gave him a C...The problem is your too dumbed down to CU football to know any better. OR you are young OR have forgotten. The only reason he didn't get a D is he beat csu and knu. He passed. He gets a pass. The cupboard was not near as bare as when Embree left thats for damn sure. There was plenty to work with BUT I understand he needs to get his guys in here and coach them up. Just improve. But there were some f*cked up weeks that left me scratching my head.
All of your guesses on Big Jim are totally lost in the alley behind the stadium, not even in left field. So, where does that leave your projections?

C

Cautiously optimistic about the positive recruiting momentum (but then, aren't we always?) -- the season was another disappointment for me, especially when you consider that we had an experienced senior QB and two NFL caliber WRs. I don't know how much of that is Tucker's fault - I give him a passing grade for beating CSU and Nebraska - but there were a lot of missed opportunities and wins squandered.

For all of you who are critical of our record, don’t forget that this year’s 5-7 was much better than last year’s 5-7. 2019 had no FCS teams, no first year coaches and no Oregon State.

2019 had 9 new starters on defense, and at first glance, had far more key injuries than 2018.

I think every aspect of our team, other than SM, was better in 2019 than in 2018 and that is largely due to HCMT.

This is a stupid take for two reasons. One, stop thinking about Oregon State like they're going to be a ****ing get right game. We probably didn't pay much attention because we didn't play them, but Jonathan Smith did a HELL of a job with that football team this year. Two ,we're debating which 5 win season is better? I'm willing to take 5-7 for 2019 because its a transition year. I also feel good about the finish, but let's not forget the loss to Arizona and dead man walking Sumlin, getting punked by Washington State, and losing by 17 to 4-8 UCLA. Let me say one more thing: If we have this exercise next year and we're talking about another bowlless season, its a ****ing F. This is the University of Colorado-one of the 25-30 winningest programs in the sport. I expect more from this football team than being slightly below average.

All of your guesses on Big Jim are totally lost in the alley behind the stadium, not even in left field. So, where does that leave your projections?
giphy.gif

This is a stupid take for two reasons. One, stop thinking about Oregon State like they're going to be a ****ing get right game. We probably didn't pay much attention because we didn't play them, but Jonathan Smith did a HELL of a job with that football team this year. Two ,we're debating which 5 win season is better? I'm willing to take 5-7 for 2019 because its a transition year. I also feel good about the finish, but let's not forget the loss to Arizona and dead man walking Sumlin, getting punked by Washington State, and losing by 17 to 4-8 UCLA. Let me say one more thing: If we have this exercise next year and we're talking about another bowlless season, its a ****ing F. This is the University of Colorado-one of the 25-30 winningest programs in the sport. I expect more from this football team than being slightly below average.
Whoa whoa. Take it easy. Nobody is saying that we should be happy with 5-7 or that this season wasn’t disappointing. I’m simply saying that last year’s schedule was way easier than this year’s schedule. And so it follows, that this year’s 5-7 was a better coaching job than last year’s 5-7.
If you need to why don’t you take a break...You are pressing too hard.

Whoa whoa. Take it easy. Nobody is saying that we should be happy with 5-7 or that this season wasn’t disappointing. I’m simply saying that last year’s schedule was way easier than this year’s schedule. And so it follows, that this year’s 5-7 was a better coaching job than last year’s 5-7.
If you need to why don’t you take a break...You are pressing too hard.

I didn't mean to drop the hammer on you like that-my apologies. Just trying to reiterate the same thing I've been saying since Mel's arrival here-We need to expect more out of this program under his leadership.

I didn't mean to drop the hammer on you like that-my apologies. Just trying to reiterate the same thing I've been saying since Mel's arrival here-We need to expect more out of this program under his leadership.
Roger that. I agree. We need to expect more. God Bless. (Or just Blessings if you are an atheist) 😀

D

No bowl game and there was clearly enough talent and experience for better results.

Macintyre goes 5-6 last year and 5-7 the year before and (justifiably) gets fired. Tucker goes 5-7 and so many people are happy/content with the job he did?

Not only was there no improvment but statistically this years team actually regressed under the new staff. The offense averaged fewer points then they had during each the previous THREE seasons. The defense gave up more points then they did during each of the previous FOUR seasons. The average game score margin was worse this year then it was compared to each of the previous FOUR seasons.

Tucker is a likeable guy and says all the right things. And it's probably resulted in a lot of positive bias in favor of him. Unfortunately "winning a press conference" has no tangible effect on actually winning games.

Recruiting has improved but is still mediocre overall. Next years roster is arguably worse then this year. I'm not optomistic about the future.

D

No bowl game and there was clearly enough talent and experience for better results.

Macintyre goes 5-6 last year and 5-7 the year before and (justifiably) gets fired. Tucker goes 5-7 and so many people are happy/content with the job he did?

Not only was there no improvment but statistically this years team actually regressed under the new staff. The offense averaged fewer points then they had during each the previous THREE seasons. The defense gave up more points then they did during each of the previous FOUR seasons. The average game score margin was worse this year then it was compared to each of the previous FOUR seasons.

Tucker is a likeable guy and says all the right things. And it's probably resulted in a lot of positive bias in favor of him. Unfortunately "winning a press conference" has no tangible effect on actually winning games.

Recruiting has improved but is still mediocre overall. Next years roster is arguably worse then this year. I'm not optomistic about the future.
It’s almost like you don’t understand that there was a whole new staff in place and it takes time to learn the system. 🤔

Probably shouldn't call people dumb while using the wrong you're.

Just sayin . . .

D

Many of the fans 30 and older remember CU being a legit perennial top 25 program similar to Auburn of late. However this 20 year piss-poor streak is an eternity in college football, especially when you put into the context that recruits effectively only know CU as a loser with one decent season in their lifetime. Every year that CU does not at a minimum have a winning season is another year that the identity of being a big-boy program gets eroded. Not making a bowl is objectively not good. Oregon State had more conference wins and looked better down the stretch. Thinking this season was a “B” effort is a losing mentality starting to engrain that this program is more like Indiana than Wisconsin.

Mel Tucker came in with high expectations. He promised to instill and inculcate a culture of physicality and both physical and mental toughness. I don't think anyone had the expectation that he would be able to pull off beating Nebraska. That was a solid achievement. However, losing to Air Force was really a honest brokering of who Tucker is a coach. I think we'll see that he should be a plus recruiter, better than we've had in Boulder since McCartney and Promise Keepers on campus, but I think Tucker will be revealed as a formula coach with very little insight or innovative adjustments in-game. We can win a lot of games with Tucker. However, he isn't a deep critical thinker and wasn't able to come up with adjustments to beat an Air Force program where their best athletes can't hold a candle to our worst. That should not be ignored. This won't be the last time a Mel Tucker team loses to an inferior opponent who is doing something either innovative or non-traditional.

C-
but the program is in better hands than its been in for a long time
Mel left at least two wins on the table this season

Is it really a big deal to lose to an "inferior" opponent doing something innovative or non-traditional? Doesn't this happen often in college sports? I remember we were only 4 point favorites, the game was pretty much a toss up. I was disappointed but not surprised we lost. Also wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Wazzu in their bowl.

Mel Tucker came in with high expectations. He promised to instill and inculcate a culture of physicality and both physical and mental toughness. I don't think anyone had the expectation that he would be able to pull off beating ****braska. That was a solid achievement. However, losing to Air Force was really a honest brokering of who Tucker is a coach. I think we'll see that he should be a plus recruiter, better than we've had in Boulder since McCartney and Promise Keepers on campus, but I think Tucker will be revealed as a formula coach with very little insight or innovative adjustments in-game. We can win a lot of games with Tucker. However, he isn't a deep critical thinker and wasn't able to come up with adjustments to beat an Air Force program where their best athletes can't hold a candle to our worst. That should not be ignored. This won't be the last time a Mel Tucker team loses to an inferior opponent who is doing something either innovative or non-traditional.

C-
but the program is in better hands than its been in for a long time
Mel left at least two wins on the table this season

Word of the day: inculcate. That’s a new one!

Back