What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Greg Schiano - AHC/DC Ohio State University

If RG is focused on someone who will be a tough guy and disciplinarian, has had success as a HC and emphasizes recruiting as a priority, Schiano checks all those boxes. He's definitely an "alpha" personality who commands the room, too. Has presence.

He's also at a stage where he could have the passion to win big while making Colorado his last job on a 10-15 year run.

I keep trying to talk myself out of Schiano but then I keep coming back to him as a guy who I think could do really damn well here.

Of the names I've heard floated that aren't among the flavor of the year "hot candidates", Schiano is by far my favorite.

Are there any coaches who've recovered and been great after their first flame-out as a head coach? I feel once coaches get derailed on their rise through the head coaching ranks they stall, bouncing around as head coaches for low level P5 schools and the G5 ranks or become journeyman coordinators of sorts. Are there stats that say this is wrong?

Are there any coaches who've recovered and been great after their first flame-out as a head coach? I feel once coaches get derailed on their rise through the head coaching ranks they stall, bouncing around as head coaches for low level P5 schools and the G5 ranks or become journeyman coordinators of sorts. Are there stats that say this is wrong?
How would that apply to Schiano? He didn’t “flame out” as a college HC, he left for an NFL HC job.

I don't think it's a negative if the struggle is in the NFL like with Schiano. Holtz, Spurrier, Carroll and Saban all had a bad turn in the NFL and then returned to college to enjoy a ton of success. We'll see what happens with Kelly, but I'm confident that just about every CU fan would have been happy if he was our coach right now. So, no, struggles in the NFL don't particularly concern me. Struggles in another college job would concern me a lot, though.

If RG is focused on someone who will be a tough guy and disciplinarian, has had success as a HC and emphasizes recruiting as a priority, Schiano checks all those boxes. He's definitely an "alpha" personality who commands the room, too. Has presence.

He's also at a stage where he could have the passion to win big while making Colorado his last job on a 10-15 year run.

I keep trying to talk myself out of Schiano but then I keep coming back to him as a guy who I think could do really damn well here.

Of the names I've heard floated that aren't among the flavor of the year "hot candidates", Schiano is by far my favorite.

I’m beginning to agree. Imagine the smokescreen of all the younger coordinators, and it is Schiano.

I’ll say this, if he is the guy, he will have the mother of all chips on his shoulder to succeed after he got completely ****ed over by Tennessee last year.

I’m trying to understand what the downside to Schiano is?

I’m not saying he is the best choice but when I ask myself who of the realistic, available coaches could come in and outcoach any of the coaches in the Pac 12 North, only Schiano checks that box.

In the Pac-12 South, Schiano immediately gives us the second best coach. He would be behind Whittingham, but I think given time, Schiano could be better than him.

That’s really one of my biggest points for Schiano. We need a coach who can compete with the top tier of the division and confrence. That means a coach who can put together a staff that can coach, recruit and develop with the best of them. We know that based on his history and high profile level he can do that.

That’s really one of my biggest points for Schiano. We need a coach who can compete with the top tier of the division and confrence. That means a coach who can put together a staff that can coach, recruit and develop with the best of them. We know that based on his history and high profile level he can do that.

How much are you being paid?

I’m with you fer sure. Give me Lake 1st Tupoi 2nd and would be very happy with Schiano

Given his history, of course not. But, the loss does make me think he is closer to another retirement.
You’re placing way too much significance on one game. If every coach or assistant whose team suffered a bad loss was no longer head coaching material, you’d have almost no head coaches.

I don’t know why the thought of Schiano at CU is so unappealing to so many people here.

He can assemble a staff.
He can recruit.
He has previous P5 HC experience.
He has NFL HC experience.
He is currently a top assistant at an elite level P5 program.
He is still reasonably young at 52 years old.
He would be motivated to kick ass and take names.

Honestly, I don’t understand the reluctance. If we could hire this guy, we should.

The “chip on the shoulder” aspect for Schiano is actually intriguing, but that’s some Tim Tebow level intangibles that I don’t know you can use as criteria.

The only thing that would worry me is his lack of deep experience out West. We all know how important RG takes recruiting, though, so if hired I’m sure that will be a big area of focus for their plan.

#inrickgeorgewetrust

I don’t know why the thought of Schiano at CU is so unappealing to so many people here.

He can assemble a staff. ✔️
He can recruit. ✔️
He has previous P5 HC experience. ✔️
He has NFL HC experience. ✔️
He is currently a top assistant at an elite level P5 program. ✔️
He is still reasonably young at 52 years old. ✔️
He would be motivated to kick ass and take names. ✔️

Honestly, I don’t understand the reluctance. If we could hire this guy, we should.

Check marks above. There’s juuuuuust one slight problem. Back in the early 90’s at Penn State, he reportedly “walked into a coaches office white as a ghost and said he saw Jerry Sandusky doing something to a boy in the shower”.

Nope.

Check marks above. There’s juuuuuust one slight problem. Back in the early 90’s at Penn State, he reportedly “walked into a coaches office white as a ghost and said he saw Jerry Sandusky doing something to a boy in the shower”.

Nope.

Tom Bradley denied that Greg said he saw that under oath. Schiano denied it too. It’s very dangerous to not hire someone based on second hand hearsay that happened decades ago.

The PA attorney general found those allegations to be “not credible.” His name was not mentioned once in the entire 400 page Freech report. He’s also been vetted by multiple Universities and ESPN. OSU and UT vetted him and felt comfortable hiring him. A mintory of the fan base felt otherwise and we all know what happened after that, but it is worth noting the UT Adminstration felt comfortable hiring him.

You’re placing way too much significance on one game. If every coach or assistant whose team suffered a bad loss was no longer head coaching material, you’d have almost no head coaches.

Agree to disagree. It wasn’t just that they lost. It is that they were embarrassed by a far less talented team. And really, it was emblematic of the performance of the ohio state defense this year. The team won in spite of their defense. The offense had to outscore opponents by such a wide margin since their defense has been mediocre with top line talent. In your world, the loss doesn’t matter. Fine. What about the rest of my argument that he led a defense with way better players to results that were only marginally better than DJ Eliot in a less offense-oriented conference?

Schiano has regressed as a coach IMO. I’m not interested in a retread who can’t even get it done at a high level with 4 & 5 star talent.

Nope.

I think there's a thread that discusses this allegation and it seems to have been discredited.

I think there's a thread that discusses this allegation and it seems to have been discredited.

Does anyone think that Schiano would be the DC at OSU in 2018 if there was not a cloud from PSU over his head?

I certainly don't. If seems like if there was anything more, it would have come out. DC at OSU is a high profile job. This will have to be proactively addressed and slammed shut, if hired. Schiano is the most qualified hire out there in my book, so bring it on!

Last edited:
The more I’m researching this guy, the more I’m interested. His defenses have been top notch, with the exception of this year which has been a very very disruptive year for that program.

If he’s the guy, count me as pretty damn excited.

I’d actually be more concerned about a guy who had never faced any kind of adversity in his career. Lupoi and Lake fall into that category for me. Guys who have never really had to face a situation where the player mix was wrong and they and they alone had to fix it.

There are no failures, only learning opportunities. Schiano is ready to take what he has learned and apply it here.

So, naturally, we will hire somebody else. But he’s at the top of my list, frankly.

Agree to disagree. It wasn’t just that they lost. It is that they were embarrassed by a far less talented team. And really, it was emblematic of the performance of the ohio state defense this year. The team won in spite of their defense. The offense had to outscore opponents by such a wide margin since their defense has been mediocre with top line talent. In your world, the loss doesn’t matter. Fine. What about the rest of my argument that he led a defense with way better players to results that were only marginally better than DJ Eliot in a less offense-oriented conference?

Schiano has regressed as a coach IMO. I’m not interested in a retread who can’t even get it done at a high level with 4 & 5 star talent.
The rest of your argument is equally bad. If we were hiring a DC then maybe I’d be more concerned with the performance of the defense in one season over the course of a 30 year coaching career, but we’re not hiring a DC we’re hiring a HC and his resume as a HC is really, really good.

And I like how every coach who has been a HC somewhere else is a “retread” like that’s some huge red flag. Steve Spurrier was a retread, Nick Saban was a retread, Pete Carroll was a retread.

I’d actually be more concerned about a guy who had never faced any kind of adversity in his career. Lupoi and Lake fall into that category for me. Guys who have never really had to face a situation where the player mix was wrong and they and they alone had to fix it.

There are no failures, only learning opportunities. Schiano is ready to take what he has learned and apply it here.

So, naturally, we will hire somebody else. But he’s at the top of my list, frankly.

Lupoi was under NCAA investigation at one point. Lake coached in the NFL, which basically chews coaches up and spits them out. They have both faced adversity.

I'm not sure why the thought of Schiano at CU is so unappealing to so many people here.

He can assemble a staff.
He can recruit.
He has previous P5 HC experience.
He has NFL HC experience.
He is currently a top assistant at an elite level P5 program.
He is still reasonably young at 52 years old.
He would be motivated to kick ass and take names.

Fixed.

Back