What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Guess the Attendance: Cal

CU is not a basketball school yet ... fans are nothing like what I experienced in my time with the ACC ... It is improving but slowly

The frustrating part about this season is it is [temporarily, I hope] not improving. I understand a drop off in tix given last year, but it's frustrating because as far back as 2010-2011 we were selling out some games such as unranked Oklahoma State. The reason I bring up that specific season is the same "we weren't very good the year before" excuse applies.

The frustrating part about this season is it is [temporarily, I hope] not improving. I understand a drop off in tix given last year, but it's frustrating because as far back as 2010-2011 we were selling out some games such as unranked Oklahoma State. The reason I bring up that specific season is the same "we weren't very good the year before" excuse applies.
It's never as much fun as when you're experiencing something new and exciting. CU being good at basketball is no longer 'new' to most people and therefore not as exciting. I don't know what the prices for the corner sections were five years ago, but they weren't $60 for a chairback and $30 for a bench. I'm not making excuses, I'm just making excuses.

Face it, one of the few great things Bohn did was create and work with the C-Unit in basketball and it made a huge difference, even as beer was cut out. I think part of the reason many casual fans showed up was to watch the antics of the students, who were passionate and creative as they filled their part of the Foam Dome. Also the half time shows were much better and the Dance team was on display much more (something for the Dirty Grampas!). And the ads on the video boards are really dull.
RG has significantly reduced the emphasis on the students and the potential for half time entertainment, while the Dance group's out there about half as much as they used to be, and it shows in over-all attendance. As Irving Feld said about greatly increasing the box office for his his circus (Ringling Bros.), "You gotta have something for everybody to enjoy."

An infusion of athleticism and/or attitude wouldn't hurt either. I imagine the crowd would be a little more into it if we played with a style similar to UW (at least what they did to us) or had a personality like the Mayor on the team.
I don't recall much "personality" from the Mayor, except to the extent that his and Ski's differing styles played off each other to the benefit of the team.
If any player was a monster who was fun to watch and alone worth the price of admission, it was Dre and before him, Alec Burks.

I don't recall much "personality" from the Mayor, except to the extent that his and Ski's differing styles played off each other to the benefit of the team.
If any player was a monster who was fun to watch and alone worth the price of admission, it was Dre and before him, Alec Burks.

You didn't notice much personality from spencer? The c unit loved him mostly because of what he did off the court interacting with fans.

Was maybe the season's best home crowd.

Was at the level we should be for the Air Force game.

Lots of work needs to get done in attendance.

Attendance was 9,423, the largest crowd of the season.
Average of 14 guesses was 9,429. Good job people.
mdelpizzo_1 was closest.

If there had been a full student section today, attendance would probably have been about 10,800. Very few empty seats outside of the student section.
When we got a big section for the Oregon State game I thought everything was going to be fine. I chalked Oregon up to the Broncos game. This week it was very disappointing for me to see how few students showed up. What's it gonna take? There are only so many chalkboards I can write on.

We have found RG's weakness. Dude just doesn't seem to know how to engage the students. The best source of long term supporters is the current student population. RG hasn't figured that one out. I don't blame the students for not showing up yesterday. They have plenty of options. We need to do a better job of instilling a passion for CU with the student body.

And I do not think the students should have to be coddled. This is a very good CU bball team that has a chance to win the conference. They have played well at home and the students should want to come out and support the team. There is no excuse for not showing to a 3 pm game on a Sunday. None. There should not have to be pizza to get them out. Tough to build a culture that is centered around sports when you have a student population that just does not give a ****. They are winning and have only started 17-5 3 times in the history of the program. The team is doing their part with a top 40 schedule in the country.

@Buffalo Brad I agree students shouldn't have to be coddled....but apparently maybe thats a reality. Whatever it takes to get them there in force. That creates energy the rest of the arena draws off and the more casual adult fan might feel like he will miss something big if he doesn't go.

And I do not think the students should have to be coddled. This is a very good CU bball team that has a chance to win the conference. They have played well at home and the students should want to come out and support the team. There is no excuse for not showing to a 3 pm game on a Sunday. None. There should not have to be pizza to get them out. Tough to build a culture that is centered around sports when you have a student population that just does not give a ****. They are winning and have only started 17-5 3 times in the history of the program. The team is doing their part with a top 40 schedule in the country.

Brad - while I agree with the sentiment just like anything in life you have to work at it if you want it to happen, right now it seems we aren't working on it, we are just hoping things get better.

This weekend was the epitome of what sports programs, not named the broncos, in this state have to deal with. There was other stuff going on that draws a lot of the younger crowd. Not only did the resorts all have powder days, but the X-Games were also going on in Aspen. Until CU basketball can build a culture where people will choose going to see games at CEC over going skiing/boarding, the AD is going to have to bribe them. Simple as that.

Brad - while I agree with the sentiment just like anything in life you have to work at it if you want it to happen, right now it seems we aren't working on it, we are just hoping things get better.
honestly, I don't even know if RG is sparing the thought to "hope" it gets better on the basketball side.

This weekend was the epitome of what sports programs, not named the broncos, in this state have to deal with. There was other stuff going on that draws a lot of the younger crowd. Not only did the resorts all have powder days, but the X-Games were also going on in Aspen. Until CU basketball can build a culture where people will choose going to see games at CEC over going skiing/boarding, the AD is going to have to bribe them. Simple as that.
I did both, dammit!

I'd have stayed up there if I had ridden another hour. As it was, traffic was getting bad around noon (!!)

But you are a loyal fan and a season ticket holder (assuming). You prioritized your time to go to both because CU MBB is important to you. That mindset and that culture doesn't exist with the students right now. It isn't important to the majority of them.

The chance of winning a trip to the tournament was a game changer and a huge draw. We are seeing the effects of the AD doing away with it.

I love snowboarding, but I would much rather watch the buffs play bbal or football than spend that much time driving up to the slopes.

I will say that the general public did not seem at all deterred by the snow or the thought of going into the mountains. They already paid for their tickets and I guess they wanted to use them. That made me happy. Though the students have already paid for their sports pass as well...it's just a matter of how much value they decide to get out of it.

if it only took you 3 hours to get home from vail on sunday you did well.
Waze had me take the pass since they were metering. Of course, Waze didn't mention that they were metering the pass as well. Luckily, 850 was one of the few stations that worked up there.

Back