What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Has Cody cost us a bluechip QB?

Hahahahaha.

I can't say this with 100% certainty, but for most people I've ever met from SE NM, OU is the school that everyone looks up to. Fitting in Boulder would have been harder for Landry than adjusting to life in Norman since the culture is a lot similar than what he's used to.

Once he got his offer from OU I know he was going to end up there. OU won the Big 12 with a converted WR as QB. They have great, quality OLs with solid TEs, RBs and WRs every year. It was almost a no brainer.

Don't act as if CU has had 5* or 4* QBs line up for the role over the years. After Detmer who was the next QB? An in-state guy. Elite QBs are very rare to come by for any team, unless you have a guy like Chow or Tedford as the OC/QB coach.

We need to create an identity, a system, and then we'll find our QB. GT has a strong identity with the flex option and from here on out they'll have their choice of the best option QB in the nation. We have to coach up what we do have and show our potential before any elite QB is going to take a shot with us. I sure as hell wouldn't want to play behind this line if I was a 5* QB this year.

I agree with you about CU needing to build an identity. I think one of Hawkins' biggest failures as a head coach here is that he doesn't seem to have a vision for what kind of team he wants to build. Last year, the offense tried to be a spread offense, this year they're trying to be more of pro style power run offense. A system needs to be chosen and players that fit into it need to be found.

However, I have no doubt that Cody has been a hindrance to finding more quality QB's. Even if it is unfair (and I'm not sure that it is) the perception of nepotism inevitably creates an obstacle that has to be overcome.

Considering that the plan was to play a walk on Freshman if Cody suffered a minor injury in a game, Hawkins has obviously failed to overcome it.

Since Hawk has been here, Cody has also been here too. I am sure other schools use this as a recruiting tool against us.

With 4 and 5 star QBs knowing that the coach's kid is on the roster, this has to be contributing to keeping blue chip QBs from coming to CU?

I don't know about bluechip but the situation certainly has an impact on recruiting to the position. Other teams are getting production out of unheralded QBs while CU cannot even get them to look at CU. Tyler Hansen and Ballenger were not highly recruited QBs I think both of them only had offers from Idaho State.

In the past CU has been able to find a QB to step up even without a blue chip QB. Bobby P, Robert Hodge, Joel Klatt - but now even those type of players won't look at CU because the competition is perceived to not be open.

NMBuff - think you came a little strong there when all you had was that in your experience most kids from southeast New Mexico are Oklahoma fans and that they've got a better team. CU was early to offer Landry Jones and even got an unofficial visit during his junior year, we were leading in his recruitment after his official visit to CU during his senior year, we won our game against Oklahoma in 2007 and we beat out Texas for Darrell Scott & Oklahoma for Lynn Katoa and Jon Major during that recruiting cycle.

But it's laughable to say that we lost out on him because he didn't like our depth chart? :wow:

NMBuff - think you came a little strong there when all you had was that in your experience most kids from southeast New Mexico are Oklahoma fans and that they've got a better team. CU was early to offer Landry Jones and even got an unofficial visit during his junior year, we were leading in his recruitment after his official visit to CU during his senior year, we won our game against Oklahoma in 2007 and we beat out Texas for Darrell Scott & Oklahoma for Lynn Katoa and Jon Major during that recruiting cycle.

But it's laughable to say that we lost out on him because he didn't like our depth chart? :wow:

To each his own, but I grew up in southern NM. I know the people and the culture and Norman (near where my brother lives) reminds me of southern NM. It was a factor, regardless if you want to admit it or not. The weather is also similar too.

Recruiting wars are definitely one of those things where there are too many factors to take into consideration. Some kids want to play for the elite schools while others look for immediate PT; some look at academics while others want a "party" school.

LBs don't need protection and as long as the DTs can chew up some blocks they'll be fine. Depth isn't a problem there. Scott saw the potential for the OL and run blocking should always be easier than pass blocking. It also helped that Texas changed their RB coach just before NLOI or the fact that his nephew was also on the team. But there always seems to be more blue chip LBs and RBs than QBs and most blue chip QBs don't mind going into a SYSTEM (see Meyer's or Caroll's) and maybe sitting out for a couple of years while they wait to get their turn. Look at the QB depth of Cal or USC. The top CO prospect is going to Cal even though he'll sit on the bench for 2 years, but they can put guys in the league.

Oh and about OU, yeah, we beat them out for some recruits, but we won some battles, not the war. The year we beat OU they still went on to win the Big 12 while we went to the Independence Bowl. Promising things loomed, but you don't become a powerhouse with promise. You become a powerhouse over time with consistency and a commitment to winning from the administration to the AD to the coaching staff to recruitment.

Cody being on the team has definitely been a factor, but the staff has failed to get and develop a 3* QB (see Bradford, McCoy, Flacco, Ryan). A 3* QB is going to expect to redshirt and yet the staff still can't land one? Ballenger left because he felt he wasn't getting a good shot with Hansen and Cody? 2 QBs on the depth chart and he gives up? How many QBs did UW have last year that went down? How many scholarship QBs do most teams have?

Why would Tebow #2 or the next Barkley be interested in joining this team? BJax couldn't throw accurate passes over 10 yards down the field in year 1. We ran a solid offense in year 2, but abandoned in year 3 for the latest fad. Year 4 has yet another new offense. I'd see TEs that are solid, but graduating soon. I'd see undersized WRs that while they can catch can't get any YAC or fail to get separation meaning I'm going to throw the ball OOB or take a hit. I'd see an OL that is getting dominated. Yeah....those aren't factors.

Oh and if you say OU isn't a better team than CU then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'm willing to sell you. They've won the Big 12 more than all of the teams in the North combined (not verified). Yeah, we might beat them on the field, but they get up for every game in conference and get better as the season progresses, not worse like we have under Hawk just about every year.

Last edited:
NMBuff,

Agree with most of the rant, so I don't think we're arguing. Just making the point that we were leading for Landry Jones. I specifically heard from someone that negative recruiting regarding Cody being in the program was the main factor why he didn't commit to CU. Specifically, he was told and believed that when the coach's son is starting as a RS-Freshman that he's not going to lose the job and that means 3 years on the bench.

I'm not going to argue that there were other factors that influenced him. There always are. We're talking about a 17 year old at the time. Maybe he ate the best meal of his life while in Norman or Stoops' pre-game speech fired him up or he got laid or whatever. But I believe he was a Buff if Cody wasn't our QB (freshman coach's son beating Oklahoma... the win may have actually worked against us in this case).

GB never brought one in because, when Craig Oaks asked GB to add more passing to the offensive scheme, GB said "We are a running team, and if you want to pass the ball you are on the wrong team." Wide receivers and QB's dried up after that.

Ochs

NMBuff,

Agree with most of the rant, so I don't think we're arguing. Just making the point that we were leading for Landry Jones. I specifically heard from someone that negative recruiting regarding Cody being in the program was the main factor why he didn't commit to CU. Specifically, he was told and believed that when the coach's son is starting as a RS-Freshman that he's not going to lose the job and that means 3 years on the bench.

I'm not going to argue that there were other factors that influenced him. There always are. We're talking about a 17 year old at the time. Maybe he ate the best meal of his life while in Norman or Stoops' pre-game speech fired him up or he got laid or whatever. But I believe he was a Buff if Cody wasn't our QB (freshman coach's son beating Oklahoma... the win may have actually worked against us in this case).

Agreed. Jones would have played though if he saw that towards the end of 07 that people figured out how to scheme against Cody. Top QBs don't fear competition anyway. USC and Cal have so many 4* and 5* QB talent that it's scary. Lose one guy and another will fill in. At USC, hell, you can even get drafted while riding the bench for 4 years. Meanwhile, it's been a LONG time since CU had a drafted QB. Top guys want to go to places that'll prepare them for the NFL. They spend way more time perfecting their craft than probably any other position (look at how many Cali HS QBs work with a former Pro).

I just want us to develop what we have in every aspect. I think people would have called for Jones to start even if Cody won us 8 games last year. We would have wanted 10+ which needs a high quality QB, or at least a very good system one.

This whole conversation leads to my first choice if Hawk gets fired. I can see a situation where Gary Kubiak is unemployed pretty soon. If he goes to college he gets all of his remaining pro money plus his college salary.

I think he would be a great recruiter, is highly organized, knows the game inside and out. Imagine him sitting in a 5* QB's living room talking about superbowls and showing pictures of him and John Elway. I know his kids go to that school up north but that can be excused since they weren't exactly on top of CU's priority list.

Just a thought

Cody would be on the bench right now at Boise St. Callen Moore is three to five times the QB Cody is. How is it that Boise can out recruit Colorado for a QB?!

This whole conversation leads to my first choice if Hawk gets fired. I can see a situation where Gary Kubiak is unemployed pretty soon. If he goes to college he gets all of his remaining pro money plus his college salary.

I think he would be a great recruiter, is highly organized, knows the game inside and out. Imagine him sitting in a 5* QB's living room talking about superbowls and showing pictures of him and John Elway. I know his kids go to that school up north but that can be excused since they weren't exactly on top of CU's priority list.

Just a thought

I would take Kubes in a second... Recruiting would surely be doing pretty well if that happened.

Back