What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Have I been too fair to Karl Dorrell?

KD is one of the nicest and most genuine guys you will ever meet. I said this when we hired him, but how we hired a guy in his 50's with nothing on his resume to reflect that he was capable of doing what we need to have done at CU, and paid him what we paid him, was pretty incredible.

You are being unfair to KD because it isn't his fault that he is in the position. CU offered him the job and the terms of the contract, and KD simply said yes (and I will never begrudge him for it)

Looking back, the time to have hired KD if we were going to do so was after the 2010 season. He was only 3 years removed from being HC at UCLA and there was a ton of pressure to hire a Buff. Plus we were about to enter the Pac-12 and KD was a Pac-10 guy. But iirc, he wasn't mentioned much as a candidate at that time. Somehow he then became the guy 10 years later despite not having a HC job in between. Water under the bridge, I suppose, but I've always thought it was curious.
RG panicked. Covid was heating up and recruiting needed a HC.

KD is one of the nicest and most genuine guys you will ever meet. I said this when we hired him, but how we hired a guy in his 50's with nothing on his resume to reflect that he was capable of doing what we need to have done at CU, and paid him what we paid him, was pretty incredible.

You are being unfair to KD because it isn't his fault that he is in the position. CU offered him the job and the terms of the contract, and KD simply said yes (and I will never begrudge him for it)
Yeah - all of this is also true.

It's not his fault he never should have been hired for the job. I mean, to his credit, he didn't even bother to pursue it when he saw it was open.

That the brain trust in the AD actually proactively reached out to him is the really insane point.

Yeah - all of this is also true.

It's not his fault he never should have been hired for the job. I mean, to his credit, he didn't even bother to pursue it when he saw it was open.

That the brain trust in the AD actually proactively reached out to him is the really insane point.
Mel Tucker absolutely broke Rick George. Broke him like someone leaving his soon to be wife at the alter.

What’s even funnier is LC was with Mel the night he accepted the MSU job. Then LC turns around and convinces RG to hire a guy who had been out of the college game for over a decade. Wild

Mel Tucker absolutely broke Rick George. Broke him like someone leaving his soon to be wife at the alter.

What’s even funnier is LC was with Mel the night he accepted the MSU job. Then LC turns around and convinces RG to hire a guy who had been out of the college game for over a decade. Wild

I mean it did, but also didn’t which is what I don’t get. MT leaves and who did we go after hard? Sark who was basically MT part two and we were all for it, then somehow we don’t land him and RG’s backup plan was somehow the WR coach of the Dolphins, not someone who was on anyone’s list. That’s what I don’t get. It’s like going all in to sign Tom Brady as your qb, come up short, and your next move is to get Nathan peterman locked up asap

I mean it did, but also didn’t which is what I don’t get. MT leaves and who did we go after hard? Sark who was basically MT part two and we were all for it, then somehow we don’t land him and RG’s backup plan was somehow the WR coach of the Dolphins, not someone who was on anyone’s list. That’s what I don’t get. It’s like going all in to sign Tom Brady as your qb, come up short, and your next move is to get Nathan peterman locked up asap
He looked absolutely dejected in his press conference (which is understandable). Yeah, he pursued Sark, but he also put restrictions that he probably knew Sark wouldn't accept. He then offered the job to Calhoun. He got lazy, got tired of the process, and obviously put together a contract he knew he couldn't get out of if things went south. I also think LC swayed him way too much in that whole process.

Have I been unfair to Head Coach Karl Dorrell?

I don't know, but I guess a good place to start is with what my expectations were for a new HC hired at the time CU hired HCKD. I would say that I wanted another guy in the HCMT mold but that my general expectations were a notch or 2 above what I wanted HCMM to accomplish when he was hired.

HCKD is starting from a much better place than HCMM did, inheriting a 5-win type program instead of a 3-win program just coming off a 1-win season (that 1 win a gift).

I expected HCKD to stabilize the program, build a professional organization, identify and coach up talent, and get CU back on track to being what it once was.

I expected some growing pains considering that so many guys were going to be under the 2nd or 3rd HC since arriving at CU with some having seen even more position coaches or coordinators... but I also expected that the program would not drop again with this becoming a regular bowl participant starting at least by year 3.

Honestly, with a record of 8-10 after 2 seasons we are about where I'd expected. That win % over a 12-game season puts you at 5.33 wins per year. Moreover, 6-7 in conference games is probably a bit better than I expected.

Recruiting has held up except for 2021 - a Covid year when they couldn't go on the road recruiting or host visitors for the most part. Tough for a staff that hadn't built recruit relationships for a couple years.

247sports Team Rankings & Composite
2019 (HCMM/MT): #44 composite (84.91 avg)
2020 (HCMT): #36 composite (85.63 avg)
2021 (HCKD): #64 composite (83.92 avg)
2022 (HCKD): #47 composite (85.64 avg)

So, on record and recruiting he has actually met my expectations. He's been on a pace a bit above 5-win seasons and has recruited at the HCMT level.

But I'm down on the program. Last year was so historically bad on offense with departure through graduation or transfer of just about everyone I considered a playmaker, that I felt hope die. The conference realignment and NIL situations were like a double-tap to make damn sure hope was truly dead.

Some of that is on HCKD. Last year was the worst coaching job of his career. But other things are outside of his control.

Maybe I'm unfairly projecting what I'm feeling onto HCKD?

On building an organization, I think Turley was the best S&C hire CU has ever made and he's got more assistants to train the team than I think we've ever had.

With the coaching staff, HCKD inherited some multi-year contracts which I don't believe he was allowed to terminate. Within the context of University-wide belt tightening and the AD taking an $18M Covid loan from the Pac-12 (paid back over 7-8 years through reduced conference distributions to CU), HCKD was handcuffed.

He now has built what I believe is the best overall coaching staff CU has had in well over a decade (2003?) despite those forced delays. Good recruiters and all guys you'd expect to see on a P5 staff. But HCKD also made some inexplicable coaching hires at OL and TE which are completely on him. And the coordinators are underwhelming until proven otherwise.

So, overall, I'm pleased with the organization he has built so far. It's met expectations even with some serious frustrations.

Really, everything so far adds up to me being in a weird place. I should be encouraged, even excited. I should be sitting here thinking that there are damn good reasons - rough things happening outside HCKD's control - for me to be more patient and accept the build might be a year delayed.

Am I being unfair to KD?

I was crushed by how things went down with HCMT. I was excited and feeling momentum. The program was making the moves with aggressive recruiting & a promoter for a coach. Then it suddenly imploded.

I was crushed that RG went from an aggressive HC model of HCMT to making a run at a similar guy in Sark, to settling on HCKD. It felt like giving up and accepting mediocrity. With the contract HCKD was signed to, it felt like RG just wanted stability and to ease into retirement without having to go through another HC search & hire - a fully guaranteed deal that made HCKD un-fireable for 4, maybe 5 years. RG's fire seemed gone, so how could I keep my own?

But do those things have anything to do with KD or am I only projecting my emotions (frustration and anger trending to accepting things might be hopeless) onto him unfairly?

This season will tell a lot. I'm out of faith or blind optimism. I'm no longer willing to project so much emotion into how I evaluate the CU football program. I'm trying to be objective and emotionally distanced.

Looking introspectively with objectivity, I should be more supportive of HCKD and see how things play out this year while also being more supportive of this year's team. Most importantly, I should make sure I get back to having fun. Sports is supposed to be fun and I haven't been allowing myself to feel up to it enough.

I think the passion has been beaten out of me. I'm afraid to care so much again. I won't let myself until the program turns a corner and re-establishes itself as a winner. And it's not HCKD's fault it's not there yet.

I'm pretty sure I've been unfair to Karl Dorrell.

I plan to do better and I plan to have fun this year. Maybe HCKD will even turn in a season that pulls me out of the funk I've been in about CU Football.
Perhaps a rethinking of this position is in order…

No you haven't been unfair. Any drooling moron could see that Shrout is the starting quarterback. To start Lewis tonight, and then GO BACK to him after Shrout was moving the ball is insane.

Yep. The AD has a $19 million loan out with a failing pac12 and is facing diminishing revenue prospects on the next media deal. CU can’t eat this horrendous contract.
Can you switch titles and have Phil M, the WR coach take over as HC, and then KD switches to that position coach?

Yep. The AD has a $19 million loan out with a failing pac12 and is facing diminishing revenue prospects on the next media deal. CU can’t eat this horrendous contract.
At some point the revenue losses for keeping him exceed the costs of firing him.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will become obvious that the AD has crossed that threshold until season ticket renewal time next spring, and doing a coaching search then is difficult even for a competent AD.

It won't be until Nov of 2023 that KD is fired. Our only hope is that KD pulls a Gary Anderson and resigns on his own (which obv won't happen).

At some point the revenue losses for keeping him exceed the costs of firing him.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will become obvious that the AD has crossed that threshold until season ticket renewal time next spring, and doing a coaching search then is difficult for a competent AD.

It won't be until Nov of 2023 that KD is fired. Our only hope is that KD pulls a Gary Anderson and resigns on his own (which obv won't happen).
He gotta pay off all of the improvements to his Boulder dream house/retirement home first!

Near the end of the game the announcers relayed my favorite KD observation of all time. Actually, two of them in direct sequence:

1. “I don’t know how many games we’ll win this year, I just know we’ll win more than last year. [they won 4 last year]” HA!

2. “I think a big problem for us last year was depth. Our 1’s were great but when you brought in the 2’s there was a huge drop off. This year it feels like there’s not that big of a drop off.”

The fact that this man thinks that the lack of drop off between his starters and his backups is a GOOD thing when all of his legitimate power 5 level players transferred out of the program tells you everything you need to know about Karl. Well, mostly everything. You should also know that he sucks.

Back