What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk floats extension idea

He was 49-38 as CU's HC and only had 2 losing seasons out of 7. Averaged 7 wins per season. That's just a tad better than the 4 wins Hawk has averaged.

Is there anyone here who would not take Barnett's results right about now? I doubt it, with the possible exception of you.

I wouldnt settle for GB's results, and I damn sure wouldnt settle for Hawks. We should do better than that.

I wouldnt settle for GB's results, and I damn sure wouldnt settle for Hawks. We should do better than that.

I didn't say forever, I said right now. Would you prefer to win 7+ games and go to bowls, or win 4 and stay home?

I didn't say forever, I said right now. Would you prefer to win 7+ games and go to bowls, or win 4 and stay home?

If you do what you have always done, you will get what have always gotten. Hindsight is 20/20, but something needed to change. We just didnt get the right kind.

He was 49-38 as CU's HC and only had 2 losing seasons out of 7. Averaged 7 wins per season. That's just a tad better than the 4 wins Hawk has averaged.

Is there anyone here who would not take Barnett's results right about now? I doubt it, with the possible exception of you.

You and I have dramatically different versions of "wins games" if you think of 49-38.

Frank Solich, who obviously had some off the field problems, went 58-19 in six seasons in Nebraska. Winning 75%+ of your games = "wins games"

In my opinion, it is much easier to deal with a coach's "warts" if he wins games.

If you do what you have always done, you will get what have always gotten. Hindsight is 20/20, but something needed to change. We just didnt get the right kind.

Don't get me wrong, Barnett had to go. The bull**** scandal made it nearly impossible for him to effectively recruit. I'm just saying I'd take his results right now. I didn't mean literally take him back as a coach. he's got too much baggage. But he was a far superior coach to Hawkins. That much is not in doubt.

You and I have dramatically different versions of "wins games" if you think of 49-38.

Frank Solich, who obviously had some off the field problems, went 58-19 in six seasons in Nebraska. Winning 75%+ of your games = "wins games"

In my opinion, it is much easier to deal with a coach's "warts" if he wins games.

Barnett went to 5 bowl games and averaged 7 wins per season. Was it great? nope. but it was a hell of a lot better than what we got after we cut him loose.

I would absolutely not take GB's results. I refuse to allow Hawkins' failure to lower my expectations for the program.

GB was justifiably terminated. He had one great year (2001) and one good year (2002), and he didn't finish with a bowl win in either. Take out the acceptable 19-8 record over those two seasons and you're left with a coach who went 30-30 (20-20 Big 12) the rest of his time here without another season that finished in the Top 25.

Our problems go back much further than Dan Hawkins. In recruiting, it's no coincidence that GBs greatest success was when Ricky Weasel's last two classes were upperclassmen. We haven't had playmakers and depth at CU in a long, long time.

I would absolutely not take GB's results.

I said RIGHT NOW. Do you ****ers read, or do you just jump in and pile on first?

I never said Barnett (or his results) was all I ever wanted at CU. He wasn't. I never said he was the best coach ever. He wasn't. I never said I would be happy forever if we could just win 7 each year. I wouldn't.

I said I would take his results RIGHT NOW over the steaming pile of **** we have. Don't read more into it than that because it's not there.

I said RIGHT NOW. Do you ****ers read, or do you just jump in and pile on first?

I never said Barnett (or his results) was all I ever wanted at CU. He wasn't. I never said he was the best coach ever. He wasn't. I never said I would be happy forever if we could just win 7 each year. I wouldn't.

I said I would take his results RIGHT NOW over the steaming pile of **** we have. Don't read more into it than that because it's not there.

No. I would not take GB's results RIGHT NOW. I want Hawkins fired if he goes 7-5 this year without a win against a ranked team and then caps it off with an embarrassing performance in our bowl game.

The administration would never take GB back. You're going to have to give up on this idea.

No. I would not take GB's results RIGHT NOW. I want Hawkins fired if he goes 7-5 this year without a win against a ranked team and then caps it off with an embarrassing performance in our bowl game.

So you prefer 4 wins to 7? I'm not following you. Why would you not want better results?

If Hawk went 7-5 the last four years, I would want him fired. Although he hasn't. He has done much worse, and because of those results, I would be relatively happy if he went 7-5 this year, but would still want him fired. I think this is how Rino is trying to say and feels as well?

Slick had alot to do with the decline at CU. That year we had Cory Redding and a bunch of other top guys that were coming to CU. Him leaving when he did was pretty bad for the program.

You ask where his head is at? Really? Isn't it obvious? DH could be his own proctologist.

Didn't Polamalu's mom or grandma pull a Diante Jackson on us and refuse to sign the LOI, making him stay close to home?

If Hawk went 7-5 the last four years, I would want him fired. Although he hasn't. He has done much worse, and because of those results, I would be relatively happy if he went 7-5 this year, but would still want him fired. I think this is how Rino is trying to say and feels as well?

OK. No doubt that GB had a better record than DH. As long as we're not saying that the GB era is in any way an acceptable level of job performance at CU, then have at it. GB sucked, but DH swallows.

Rino--

If I could pick between a coach who would win 7 wins every year, and a coach who would win 4 wins every year, I would take the 7 win coach.

Can you imagine the looks on the other coaches faces when he dropped that little gem? I didn't catch it the first time, but when I re-read the column, it sounds like this was a meeting with several coaches. The leak probably came from a coach going back to his/her staff and saying "you will NEVER believe what Hawkins just pulled".

GB was a good coach. He was .560 with flashes of greatness. Absent the scandal, I think he would have had a lot of 2002 type seasons here at CU, maybe even another '01 if given enough time. But the scandal happened, and GB, right or wrong, had to go. '04 and '05 were as much a result of the scandal and the recruiting restrictions as GB's shortcomings. '03, IMO, was pretty much all on GB.

Unfortunately, GB, with all his flaws, turns out to be three times the coach the new guy is. So yeah, I'd take GB over Hawk every day of the week and twice on Thursdays. In the end, I hope CU can go to the coaching well and find somebody closer to Mac's level. CU should be a 7 win team in a bad year, nearly always in the hunt for the conference title, and every now and again a player in the MNC hunt. That is what CU should be shooting for IMO.

GB was a good coach. He was .560 with flashes of greatness. Absent the scandal, I think he would have had a lot of 2002 type seasons here at CU, maybe even another '01 if given enough time. But the scandal happened, and GB, right or wrong, had to go. '04 and '05 were as much a result of the scandal and the recruiting restrictions as GB's shortcomings. '03, IMO, was pretty much all on GB.

Unfortunately, GB, with all his flaws, turns out to be three times the coach the new guy is. So yeah, I'd take GB over Hawk every day of the week and twice on Thursdays. In the end, I hope CU can go to the coaching well and find somebody closer to Mac's level. CU should be a 7 win team in a bad year, nearly always in the hunt for the conference title, and every now and again a player in the MNC hunt. That is what CU should be shooting for IMO.

F'in this. Rep.

OK. No doubt that GB had a better record than DH. As long as we're not saying that the GB era is in any way an acceptable level of job performance at CU, then have at it. GB sucked, but DH swallows.

Only '01 and '02. I think we all agree, we are just saying it differently...maybe.

That's funny. Daaah is really my first name.

Swedish?

The point is not that he believes he should have a raise. The problem is, that when asked what would help the team the most (was it recruiting specific? I forget...) that's the first thing that came to mind.

Exactamundo! The only way that response makes sense is if he's trying to play the "other schools are using my contract status against us in recruiting" card. News flash, Dan - other schools are using YOUR CRAPPY RECORD against us in recruiting. They would feast on the news that you're locked in even longer.

Well said. Unfortunately, if DH is actually thinking he deserves a contract extension, I guess we can all kiss the idea that he's gotten the message about those expectations goodbye...

Not that you guys are off topic or anything, but....

If asked the best thing the department can do and your response is get an extension, the next question should have been, "do you think you have been good for Colorado football?" Even Hawkins couldn't possibly appraise himself positively - that's just a reflection on recruiting (but even there his head is up his ass because who wants to play for a loser?).

As for DBT, he must have inside information, because the article quoted says nothing about that conversation being confidential. In fact, since "multiple sources in the room that day told the Camera," that suggests that the information wasn't confidential. How unusual for DBT to go off without any real reason...:Tantrum:

DBT, I gotta go with masses on this one. There are (too many) times when Hawkins is his own worst enemy. Of all the little things, learning to keep his mouth shut is among the biggest.

The idea of Hawk getting an extension doesn't really worry me, Bohn isn't that stupid. What worries me is that Hawk seriously thinks that's a possibility? If I were in Hawk's position right now, not only would I refuse a contract extension on the basis of not having earned it, but I most certainly wouldn't ****ing ask for one.

Back