What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins has had it with troublemakers

:yeahthat:

YMSSR

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:

and my rep went through...

great work on that one skiddy; i hope somehow more people see it than just our allbuffs community, and the editors and author of that ridiculous piece of birdcage liner...

I think it points out the positive steps that Hawkins and Bohn are taking to ensure that nagative behavior stops. Their team concept is great. Dividing the team into 9 man accountibility groups is a great idea. The players are also seemingly taking accountibility. Simas is being pushed by his teamates to tow the line. I like all of that. I believe CU is going to be a model for dealing with players.

On the other hand, the timing of the article is suspect as is the motivation of John Henderson in writing it. The innuendo in mentioning CSU and Wyoming is BS. The mention of Bernard Jackson and the other guy is unfair. But what I take from the article is that Dan Hawkins is not going to take anymore negative behavior from his players.

one other thing on the Pro side for me is that Hawkins is addressing it and didn't say, 'oh, there dumb ass kids and not my problem'... which would have made me puke and then think of Barnett... not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea

Duty done. e-mail to henderson sent - reply to article posted.

Hawkins isn't the only one who has had it with troublemakers. There isn't a supporter of CU's football program who is happy when any current or former Buff sullies the name of the program by getting in the papers for the wrong reasons.

Buff fans have also had it with troublemakers in the media. Responsible journalists have an obligation to provide fair, balanced and timely reporting of news. Not much here is fair, balanced, nor timely.

This article states that 13 players ran afoul of the law. Names and photos are provided for 12. Of the 12, only 4 are currently on the roster. Of the eight who are not on the roster, 3 committed their crimes AFTER leaving the team. The other 5 have been removed from the program or have voluntarily left as a direct consequence of their actions.

All of the individuals listed are accountable for their actions, have been punished, and continue to be punished. This punishment includes having their crimes published and re-published again and again.

For the four players who are still on the roster, Hawkins has made it clear that 1) Felons do not get to play. Not one player on the team is a felon. 2) "Once may be a mistake, but twice is behavior." I have no doubt that any future run in with the law by Geer, Katoa, Adkins or Kaynor will result a swift dismissal from the team.

"Troublemakers" Nate Vaiomounga, Jake Duren, Christopher Perri and Kai Maiava displayed unacceptable behavior and they are off the team. They did not live to any higher standard. They messed up and they are gone. This is a clear display of institutional control at work. This is the standard that Hawkins and Bohn have instituted. Good for them.

As for Jordan Dizon, Lional Harris, and Bernard Jackson - all were off of CU's roster when their crimes took place. What kind of responsibility does a coach or university have to monitor and influence behavior once that player leaves the program? Once someone is gone from the program, the coach and the school has no legitimate institutional control to impose. I question why these players were even mentioned in the article, other than to sensationalize it and maximize the myth that CU is a lawless place where anything goes. This is unfair to the hundreds of current and former team members who play by the rules.

The timing of the article is suspect. It is a strange editorial decision to post this article now. There is no new news presented. This is yesterday's news. If high journalistic standards were at play, this article might have been presented November 18th, 2008, following Nate Vaiomounga's November 17th arrest. Or the article might wait until the next CU player ends up in the police blotter. Or it could have run after the Nebraska game, when CU's off season began. Instead, the article waits for almost two more months over a period of time where nothing newsworthy happened.

The CU community is all too familiar with the tactics of undisciplined reporters who are not above sensationalizing a story in order to sell a few more papers.

My hat is off to CSU and Wyoming. It is heartening to see that there are programs out there that do avoid troubles associated with alcohol and violence among their current and former team members. Perhaps those schools can be investigated and the Denver Post can inform us about the measures that their administrators and coaches have in place that are responsible for such a wonderful accomplishment. Measures at CSU and Wyoming can be compared and contrasted to those at CU. Additionally, there are other schools out there like Alabama, Missouri, and West Virginia that might learn from CSU's and Wyoming's wisdom. A pretty good resource for tracking crimes among football programs is located at: http://www.sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Fulmer_Cup.
Check it out.

John Henderson, if you can deliver this story, you might just make a positive name for yourself in the profession. Think of the hundreds and thousands of athletes out there who might benefit from such a display of responsible journalism.

well done, skids. :thumbsup:

For anyone else interested in emailing the Sports Editor, his email is below (I got it off the DP website, so it is legit.

smonserud@denverpost.com
Scott Monserud, assistant managing editor/sports, (303) 954-1243

Here are some other Executives:

Executives
- William Dean Singleton, Chairman and Publisher
- Gregory Moore, Editor, (303) 954-1400
- Jeanette Chavez, managing editor/administration, (303) 954-1800
- J. Damon Cain, managing editor/presentation & design
- Mark Cardwell, managing editor digital media & strategic development, (303) 954-1319
- Jim Bates, night editor, (303) 954-1825
- Chuck Murphy, public affairs team leader, (303) 954-1829
- Lee Ann Colacioppo, team leader for enterprise, (303) 954-1754
- Kevin Dale, assistant managing editor/Sunday, (303) 954-1661
- Scott Monserud, assistant managing editor/sports, (303) 954-1243
- Tim Rasmussen, assistant managing editor/photography, (303) 954-1896
- Erik Strom, assistant managing editor/technology, (303) 954-1313

I wrote, because the article was inaccurate, linked former players, and was written by a guy who has clearly been a NU supporter. Editor should have been aware of the obvious bias, and he should also have been better aware of the article inaccuracies prior to print.

The sad thing is I can't write and say "Cancel my subscription". I haven't subsribed to the Post for three years.

Less and less people read these guys everyday. Your wasting your time. Let it go as they will be closed soon and irrelevant.

You guys are wound real tight if this article gets you all upset.. There were a lot of positives in the article talking about how Hawk is laying down the law (something that is supported by every Buff on these forums) in the program. Fact: It was a disgrace that we had so many guys arrested in the offseason last year. Henderson stated the obvious and wrote how Hawk is dealing with the problem and how Atkins, Geer and Simas learned from their situations..

The pictures are a little much I agree, but I don't get this anti-CU buff football slant that you guys are talking about.. In fact the most embarrassing part of the article is the first sentence
Sixty-eight football teams were invited to bowl games. The University of Colorado was not one of them.

Hey Hawk, how about a bowl game next year?

You guys are wound real tight if this article gets you all upset.. There were a lot of positives in the article talking about how Hawk is laying down the law (something that is supported by every Buff on these forums) in the program. Fact: It was a disgrace that we had so many guys arrested in the offseason last year. Henderson stated the obvious and wrote how Hawk is dealing with the problem and how Atkins, Geer and Simas learned from their situations.. AGAIN

The pictures are a little much I agree, but I don't get this anti-CU buff football slant that you guys are talking about.. In fact the most embarrassing part of the article is the first sentence

Hey Hawk, how about a bowl game next year?

jimmy, i dont think that anyone has a problem with the media exposing the flaws. i think the problem many of us have is the timing of it. again, all of these situations have been out in the media and are dead horses. its been written about and read about and dicussed about here, there and everywhere. its a dead horse.

consider the source. an out of the closet knu fan at a local major newspaper tossing this **** out there a month before NLOI signing day. that does not raise any suspicion or a sense of, huh? on your part?

as far as you last comment. par for the course. i guess i should not be suprised about your take on the rest of the article. :lol:

jimmy, i dont think that anyone has a problem with the media exposing the flaws. i think the problem many of us have is the timing of it. again, all of these situations have been out in the media and are dead horses. its been written about and read about and dicussed about here, there and everywhere. its a dead horse.

consider the source. an out of the closet knu fan at a local major newspaper tossing this **** out there a month before NLOI signing day. that does not raise any suspicion or a sense of, huh? on your part?

as far as you last comment. par for the course. i guess i should not be suprised about your take on the rest of the article. :lol:

come on now.. You seriously believe some kid we are recruiting is going to not come here because of this article? No 17/18 year old we are recruiting is even going to read this article. It won't have any impact whatsoever on recruiting.

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:

and my rep went through...

great work on that one skiddy; i hope somehow more people see it than just our allbuffs community, and the editors and author of that ridiculous piece of birdcage liner...

Mine went thru as well...Nice job skiddy. We need to get this hack known for what he is, a fusker shill with an axe to grind. Mother ****ing corncob Buttscud!

Absent from Henderson's run down of off field activities over the past 18 months:
Cody Hawkins shaves his head and donates his hair for cancer patients.
George Hypolite's counceling kids in the community
The whole team delivering food to the Shreveport food bank
The 400+ hours of community service that is expected from each and every member of the team. This includes visits by players to hospitals, retirement homes, schools and churches to provide support to the sick, the elderly, read to kids and motivate them to stay healthy, free from drugs, work hard and pursue their dreams.

It sure would be interesting to know if media darling George Hypolite was contacted by Henderson for a quote. Or perhaps Darrell Scott. What would they say if asked about what happens when players break the law? There are players on the team who are academically eligible and who do recognize that it takes more than a smile and some charm to earn a college degree. Simas has a knack for providing some quotes that are doozies. He gets the Hoffman memorial "Term of Endearment" award presented to the CU player who provides the dumbest quote.

It's clear that CU has learned a thing or two from the so-called scandal. The local media does what it does. It serves up some less than fresh raw meat to the vindictive lammie fans and various haters out there.

It's going to be a long off season. How many times do we have to hear that Hawk has to "win some games" before the next kick off?

I went to see if there were any new comments this morning... and sure enough all of yesterdays comments appear to have been deleted.

I went to see if there were any new comments this morning... and sure enough all of yesterdays comments appear to have been deleted.

They're still there, they just aren't showing up on the main page for some reason. If you try to post another comment they'll all show up on the "community" page.

All -

My letter to J. Henderson at the DP. And by the way, I think he's a Butthusker!

John -

What was your real purpose for writing an article that basically covered old news? It appears to me that you attempted to reopen an old wound, or made a very poor effort to take the opportunity to explain to your reading audience how Bohn and Hawkins have made serious strides to make student athletes understand what being accountable for their actions is all about. Granted, when it comes to student athletes behavior, CU does not pretend to wear a halo over their head. However, there is a night and day difference how accountability standards were enforced upon student athlete's years ago Vs how the enforcement is applied now. Had Bohn and Hawkins sat on their hands and done little or nothing to address student athletes academics, and their on and off the field behavior, then your article may have had more merit to it. As CU alumni, I have never condoned any of the bad decisions and actions of former / current student athletes but will always stand up to applaud them for their positive accomplishments. Next time you decide to put CU down, writing about a problem that occurs on virtually every major collage campus, I would like to think that you would point out what lengths of tough love Hawkins & Bohn and the rest of the CU staff went to, too address the problem. Instead of spewing your negativity in a manner that was ill timed and not newsworthy. I always thought journalists such as yourself, had higher standards.

I didn't bother with the article yesterday. I just skimmed it and the comments at DPO.com. I think we all can see why print media is a dying beast. They now have resorted to National Enquirer type crap to sell papers.

I started to post a response, but was not about to expand their e-mail list or give them my e-mail. It was an entirely bush league article riddled with inaccuracies and false impressions as others have pointed out. What a joke. Any real news is what the hacks at DPO get from the wire services and reprint. Their locally produced stuff is like a print version of Jerry Springer. Journalism is dead and the infotainment leeches are now all that is left. Sad really.

I don't think writing JH does any good. It just feeds his ego. They (the papers) enjoy responses, whether they be pro or con. I just hope that when the RMN tanks that the Post will pick up B.G. Brooks.

What's that sound? It's print newspapers circling the drain.

See ya later. Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you.

Back